Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom is being sold to the highest bidder: Who will get it?

Comments

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    I just had a terrifying thought...what if disney buys it. I mean they bought lucas arts and by extension star wars...disney is out to conquer the world >_>

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by nethervoid
    It's funny how a game like UO can be so friggin awesome and published by a pretty small company and budget, but new MMOs can't seem to grasp what made that game a blast. It's only been 15 years guys. You figured it out yet?

Not only that but no one has attempted to clone it.....YOu're right though the gameplay is fairly simple and they spent about 5 dollars on the graphics and animations.....TBH I'd rather play UO than the Secret World...To me that game was not fun at all....FUncom's best game was AO, by far the worst graphics of the 3 and by far the best gameplay.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Not only that but no one has attempted to clone it.....YOu're right though the gameplay is fairly simple and they spent about 5 dollars on the graphics and animations.....TBH I'd rather play UO than the Secret World...To me that game was not fun at all....FUncom's best game was AO, by far the worst graphics of the 3 and by far the best gameplay.

Totally agree on AO.

If they make an AO 2.0 with updated graphics and seamless world/no instancing I would definitely play it. Good gameplay, good lore, good concept.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by moguy2
    Some one , any one, buy them and fix up Anarchy Online please!

OMG, if only..........

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by moguy2
    Some one , any one, buy them and fix up Anarchy Online please!

OMG, if only..........

While this a an awesome idea, I would be affaid to think what would happen if they ruined a re-boot/sequel by turning it into another WoW clone =/

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
          It sure looks and sounds like TSW did this company in (with a big assist from AoC)......They fell so short of expectations financially that it probably did them in....THen instead of just shutting it down they kept pouring more and more resources into it until it probably bankrupt them.....THis is probably why games like Tabula Rasa get shut down immediately instead of continuing to try and make them successful.....
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Rasputin

And not to forget: UO was changed into an EQ-clone with Age of Shadows, leaving almost nothing of the old gameplay intact.

So in a way original UO does not exist anymore.

Reading this makes me want to bang my head against the desk. No, just no. A clone of Diablo would be a better description of Age of Shadows, but the game was still a sandbox.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I can't imagine any corporation buying this company and turning it into a positive for the fans.  I'm betting it ends up being some F2P developer like Aeria Games. Maybe Facebook will buy it...

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

i hereby officially offer 10eur.

My main interest in the purchase of Funcom is to fire Erlingsson, since he still owes me 50eur.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Funcom is chaap atm, so there might be some company who would want to buy DreamEngine and it's tools to produce series of various cheap f2p games.   Korea / china  f2p clones style - just in west.
  • lordshroom420lordshroom420 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Well.. That's not Good!  Really Hoping They would atlease try making Anarchy 2 online Before Sale Out! (SAD Face)
  • RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Goatgod76
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    It's funny how a game like UO can be so friggin awesome and published by a pretty small company and budget, but new MMOs can't seem to grasp what made that game a blast. It's only been 15 years guys. You figured it out yet?

Maybe because of the incredibely fast pace of technology is ever changing and the massive change in the demographics of the MMO consumers?  UO eventually was left in the dust.  If it was soooo good then why is it not still kicking?  UO was the pioneer of MMOs and would be incredibely lacklust to modern MMOs.  MMOs nowadays have plenty of incredibely satisfied consumers that far exceed UO's peak sub numbers.

Last I knew...UO is still going, just as EQ is. Sub numbers don't equal success btw. Longetivity does more so.

And not to forget: UO was changed into an EQ-clone with Age of Shadows, leaving almost nothing of the old gameplay intact.

It was over for UO when they released Renaissance, the second expansion. Trammel killed UO.

UO:R was definitely a step in the direction of killing UO, but gameplay was still recognizable. AoS was the final nail IMO.

Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Goatgod76
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Maybe because of the incredibely fast pace of technology is ever changing and the massive change in the demographics of the MMO consumers?  UO eventually was left in the dust.  If it was soooo good then why is it not still kicking?  UO was the pioneer of MMOs and would be incredibely lacklust to modern MMOs.  MMOs nowadays have plenty of incredibely satisfied consumers that far exceed UO's peak sub numbers.

Last I knew...UO is still going, just as EQ is. Sub numbers don't equal success btw. Longetivity does more so.

It was over for UO when they released Renaissance, the second expansion. Trammel killed UO.

UO:R was definitely a step in the direction of killing UO, but gameplay was still recognizable. AoS was the final nail IMO.

Aye, trammel did not kill UO.  It was actualy good patch for UO. People was leaving in droves, Trammel actually kept them playing and inceased population, but it was half-assed though - EVE did it ok with low and high sec.     AoS killed  UO that I agree.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Acti-Blizz or EA buying Funcom makes very little sense business-wise.

Funcom doesn't have a positive cashflow last I checked.

With EA bleeding cash as well, I doubt EA will buy them.

Acti-Blizz also makes no sense when Vivendi is trying to unload them.

You don't purchase something that is losing money when your parent company is trying to sell you; makes you unattractive to potential buyers.

I can see one of the asia's game makers (Maybe NCSOFT? or Tencent?) but from a business point of view, Funcom isn't that attractive.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Why would anyone buy it?
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    It is sad, AoC and TSW both had potential. They just thought they could pull off a different type of game and didnt. The way the industry is now, you would almost do better to create a niche game than a game for everyone. There are enough of those games. That being said, I am sure EA will get a steal of a deal for the company. I hope someone grabs up the conan franchise and does it right, doubtful though.
    Originally posted by jpnz

I can see one of the asia's game makers (Maybe NCSOFT? or Tencent?) but from a business point of view, Funcom isn't that attractive.

Funcom is actractive only because it is cheap as f**k atm.  I agree that Acti-Blizz won't buy it buy it.  Tencent, Nexon maybe EA, very meybe Disney if it would want to enter mmo gaming and so on.  Acit-Blizz nope won't happen.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Really wondering who is going to buy Failcom. Also curious as to what price they value it at as opposed to what it will actually sell for. I don't see it being worth too much with all the flops they have on hand.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by jpnz

Funcom is actractive only because it is cheap as f**k atm.  I agree that Acti-Blizz won't buy it buy it.  Tencent, Nexon maybe EA, very meybe Disney if it would want to enter mmo gaming and so on.  Acit-Blizz nope won't happen.

Compared to what Funcom brings, it isn't 'cheap' at all.

What do you get? Some MMO IPs (who knows how long / type of contract that is) and a company that is losing money with a large overhead.

An asian game maker that wants a western presence is probably the most likely and even then, i'd give it 30% chance.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Their best game is Anarchy Online, wierd that everyone talks about AoC and TSW and ignores AO completely.

I hope it gets sold, i mean Funcom is going down the hill for years now.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    EA

They already have a bunch of ex ea execs on the board.

Think Nokia and Microsoft

I've been sort of expecting Microsoft to get into the MMO game since Don Mattrick left EA and took over Microsoft Interactive Entertainment a couple of years back. Wouldn't be a bad thing for them to compete in this genre.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I don't think Microsoft has designs on getting into the realm of MMO's. Not directly splatting their name all over it any ways. The only reason they got into consoles is because sony boasted that consoles would one day replace PC's. If this were true microsoft would need a console, more then this though they wanted to proove that a consokle could never beat a PC. And they accomplkished that. Makwe a hyped console that falls shoort of what it could be and send many of it's top rated exclusive games over to PC after a 2 year run on any given game (therein showing the difference). The Xbox division of microsoft has operated at a loss since day 1.

And Gates doesn't care either about that, he will keep chucking his pocket change at the division to balance the books, as long as Xbox continues to make that point for him.

'Your console over heated due to the fact that we couldn't see our way clear to put more then a single fan with a crappy duct system in it? well you would have had multiple fans cooling various components had you gotten a pc instead....btw that game you were playing for xbox as console exclusive is now available for pc too.'

But I can see microsoft getting into the MMO genre...the very second someone that heads a non-in-gate's-pocket gaming company comes out at E3 and says "The MMO will soon take over even the most popular console games" lol.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Knowing nothing about economics and the market :)  I would think if FunCom is sold it will be the death knell of AO.

I played AO from the start and despite its rocky bug ridden start I really liked the game. (Until they came out with Shadowlands)  However the game is dying.

It was never very popular and I have seen it turn into a ghost town.

I still do not believe it will ever see a graphics upgrade.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Actually, kind of sad that the OP seems to have made it his life's mission to spell doom for the company, evidently due to struggles with AoC by the looks of his post history.  Nice job posting two identical threads on the day of a major update to TSW, btw.

And while I can sympathize with being disappointed in a game company...give it a rest, man -- it's not worth it.  (Sorry if this is double posted, but given that the OP has an affinity for double threads, I guess that's necessary.)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

If zynga buys it, Id be like "wtf just happened??"

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**