Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

300$ for 2 characters?

Comments

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by potaco

I don't know how so many people can miss the entire point of a F2P conversion. The point is not to let everyone play uninhibited/unhindered for free. The point is to give people options on how they want to play (with the understanding that getting some money from some people is better than getting no money from nobody).

Before, you either subbed and had full access... or didn't subscribe and had no access. You either felt it was worth it and paid... or didn't. It was 100% black and white.

Now it's more gray:

If you're happy farting around with storylines and alts, a few instances, a little bit of PVP, guess what? You can literally do all of that for free now.

If you want to PVP more, you can pay for a pass.

If you want to PVE/raid more, you can pay for a pass.

If you want to unlock a specific race, you can buy it a la carte.

If you want to unlock extra ability bars, you can buy them a la carte for much cheaper than a full subscription.

If, at any point, you find yourself wanting to play enough that you would spend more on the "a la carte" items than a subscription, congratulations, you're at the point where a subscription is worth it. Subbing for even a single month gives you unlimited access for that month PLUS ~$5 worth of CC that you can spend after your sub lapses, making it a net cost of around $10 for the month.

It's really not that complicated.

Actually i prefer how it was before, the free trial was good enough to hook new players, this new f2p shit will just drive them away. it really isnt that complicated :p

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint

I don't know how so many people can miss the entire point of a F2P conversion. The point is not to let everyone play uninhibited/unhindered for free. The point is to give people options on how they want to play (with the understanding that getting some money from some people is better than getting no money from nobody).

Before, you either subbed and had full access... or didn't subscribe and had no access. You either felt it was worth it and paid... or didn't. It was 100% black and white.

Now it's more gray:

If you're happy farting around with storylines and alts, a few instances, a little bit of PVP, guess what? You can literally do all of that for free now.

If you want to unlock extra ability bars, you can buy them a la carte for much cheaper than a full subscription.

If, at any point, you find yourself wanting to play enough that you would spend more on the "a la carte" items than a subscription, congratulations, you're at the point where a subscription is worth it. Subbing for even a single month gives you unlimited access for that month PLUS ~$5 worth of CC that you can spend after your sub lapses, making it a net cost of around $10 for the month.

Actually i prefer how it was before, the free trial was good enough to hook new players, this new f2p shit will just drive them away. it really isnt that complicated :p

I'm not sure how you qualify that... Seems pretty obvious that the free trial wasn't "good enough" to hook new players....

You could also think of the F2P option as an unlimited trial that you can upgrade piecemeal (by purchasing individual unlocks) or completely (by subscribing).

And for the people already subscribing, nothing really changes besides the "free" $5 worth of CC they get each month to spend on whatever they feel like.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Originally posted by Vunak23

People are seriously defending this pay2win cash shop? This blatant money grab to bleed there fans of money? In EA's eyes money does grow on tree's, it just goes through your hands first. 

I payed for the game, have a 50 Bh and a few other classes that are in there high 40's. When I heard the game was going F2P, I thought I might take another stab at it and see what they added. But with the model they are using, I am passing. This is overly greedy. I would rather play a shitty completely F2P game like Perfect World than SWTOR now. 

This is hurting you fans of SWTOR more than it is helping it. People are going to look and see you have to pay for action bars, you have to pay to hide your damn helmet. You have to pay to quick travel etc. and those people are going to say screw this greedy ass shit, just like I am. 

Personally I wouldn't defend this game... specially because I've never played it in the first place (I might take it for a spin now that it's F2P, though)... and before anyone asks what I'm doing in the TOR forums, I got here from the real-time forum overview that shows posts from all forums.. :)

However, and this goes more for the F2P titles in general, not just TOR, I really don't see merit on the OP's complain of being able to play only two chars for free after spending so much money in the game. As it was before the game was F2P, you could have spent $300+ or more into the game, and yet if you stopped paying the sub, you just couldn't play it anymore, neither of your characters, no matter how much you had spent in the past. As it is right now, you can play two of your chars, and still get some extra perks because you did spend money in the game in the past without paying anything more. TBH no matter what I see that as an improvement from your previous situation, from 0 to 2 characters available. And if you really want to play all your chars, you can just pretend the whole F2P thing never happened and sub again.

I have no gripe with the character limitation. I think the OP is overreacting to that aspect of there F2P model, as that is pretty standard. But the things I listed in my previous post, are money grabs. I won't be playing the F2P SWTOR off principle alone, that I won't be feeding a money hungry engine that doesn't care for there fans at all. 

Just by the fact that, Bioware/EA came out and said the only reason there game didn't do as well as it should (aka failed) is because of the sub cost... No not the terrible engine, horrible space simulator (even though I didn't mind it that much). SUPER instanced gameplay etc. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

How dare these greedy bastards try to recoup the cost of making the game monitarily.  The horror!

If people wont pay for the game through subs...you know the flat rate, everything is fair..method...dont complain if they answer all your prayers making this game free...then charging you out the ass down the road.

P2P is ALWAYS the cheapest route to go...always.

Yeah the game sucked when you got to endgame...i know...blah blah blah should have been the holy grail game all the mad hypers said it was suppose to be ect.

Ill put it another way.  The only mmorpgs that can get away with a fair and cheap f2p are the crappy no budget games...and even those will gouge you for every penny they can...why would a "blockbuster" game using one of the most valuable IP's run by the worst of big-business gaming conglomerates do anything other than try to suck you dry...after all its is a business.

Maybe you all should learn to program and form a charity gaming company, work for free for 10 years making a game then give it away for nothing.  

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Now it's more gray:

I'm not sure how you qualify that... Seems pretty obvious that the free trial wasn't "good enough" to hook new players....

You could also think of the F2P option as an unlimited trial that you can upgrade piecemeal (by purchasing individual unlocks) or completely (by subscribing).

And for the people already subscribing, nothing really changes besides the "free" $5 worth of CC they get each month to spend on whatever they feel like.

Well if the free trial wasn't good enough to hook players, how making them pay more without adding content will bring more players in game?

I don't get it.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

Have to say thankyou to EA for the useless free 100 cartel coins anyways :)

I would have prefered no coins as 100 coins are a worthless joke

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    This game is a fill of BS I hope more and more people  stop playing this game and ensure EA and company lose so much money , so that hopefully some day all this greed slows down ( since I know it will never stop) and companies start making fun games again. Love to see companies like EA lose everything so they stop controlling developpers and allow creativity to come back.
  • daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

seems to me if your a loyal fan, you would still be subscribing. Which you get 20-30 dollars worth of cartel coins plus a bonus of coins every month plus faster leveling and other minor bonuses for subbing. 

if you bought the game before the f2p launch you got certain restrictions removed . you couldnt play the game then without a sub, now you can. If you dont like the restrictions pay. 

Your not entitled to anything.

• casual187casual187 Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by sancher36

I know right you should get the same amount as me(3200) because you bought the CE and subbed from early acess till now you should totally right your congresmen. /sarcasm off

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Deewe

Well if the free trial wasn't good enough to hook players, how making them pay more without adding content will bring more players in game?

I don't get it.

Before (AKA Subscription-based w/ Free Trial):

- $15/month subscription to unlock everything

- $xx box fee

- Very limited Free Trial (level 15 cap, limited chat, limited zones/planets, limited crew skills, no Legacy XP, one Flashpoint)

After (AKA Free-to-Play):

- No box fee

- Optional $15/month subscription which unlocks everything (same as "Before") and includes additional CC reward

- Free option with no level cap, no zone cap, GTN access, chat, Legacy stuff, etc... most with the option to individually pay more to unlock certain perks

Originally posted by casual187
    Originally posted by sancher36

I know right you should get the same amount as me(3200) because you bought the CE and subbed from early acess till now you should totally right your congresmen. /sarcasm off

I'm just saying that giving all past subscribers 100 cartel points was not worth their time to do so. 

Due to the fact I cannot play all that often I see no point in subscribing to get the ( not so free cartel coins) as I only have time to play once a week sometimes as low as once a month due to hospital and university study. 

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by DAHBOO

I purchased the game and paid every month since and now if i go down to prefered i can only keep 2 of my characters active.

WTF?

Wait until you log in and notice you have only two quickslot bars available, making the game totally unplayable at 50.

Well, I am pretty sure all the cheapskates and freeloaders will always find a good reason to complain about something and everything.

I have no problems at all paying for entertainment, and I definitely appreciate that with the restrictions in place, at least some of these will stay away.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by kharlan

you get to keep already created chars and can play them all

Until they find the solution to revoke them (they said it earlier)

Edit: Frodo was faster, /hats off

And how exactly is that different from any other F2P transition?  LotRO does the same thing, for example...

It was messed up when Turbine did it, too. I was not happy to find that content I'd already paid for with my box purchase, as well as many months of sub fees "earned" me the right to re-purchase much of the same content.

That's why I no longer play any Turbine game and refuse to support them.

I find it amazing that people actually try to justify this crap.

I don't get it.

- $xx box fee

- Very limited Free Trial (level 15 cap, limited chat, limited zones/planets, limited crew skills, no Legacy XP, one Flashpoint)

- No box fee

- Optional $15/month subscription which unlocks everything (same as "Before") and includes additional CC reward

- Free option with no level cap, no zone cap, GTN access, chat, Legacy stuff, etc... most with the option to individually pay more to unlock certain perks

At least you could fucking run...

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Dreskest

I purchased the game and paid every month since and now if i go down to prefered i can only keep 2 of my characters active.

WTF?

Wait until you log in and notice you have only two quickslot bars available, making the game totally unplayable at 50.

Well, I am pretty sure all the cheapskates and freeloaders will always find a good reason to complain about something and everything.

I have no problems at all paying for entertainment, and I definitely appreciate that with the restrictions in place, at least some of these will stay away.

You mean the "cheap-skates" and "freeloaders" who already paid EA $$$ for a brand new game box, plus all the months of subscriptions, and who would still be paying subscriptions if not for the change to F2P - less than a year into its release? You mean the people who would like for the money they already spent on the game to at least earn them something after a move to F2P that many of them likely didn't even ask for to begin with?

Are those the cheapskates you're talking about?

No, we're talking about people who would like to be shown a bit of gratitude and appreciation as recurring customers of EA's by being given something in return for their continued membership and business.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Then keep on paying the sub, you want it to stay pay for it, like you have been up till now, don't want to step your account down then don't, this is so simple it hurts.

If they had never gone F2P you wouldn't be crying about this but give someone an option and they brains get all messed up.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

I don't get it.

- $xx box fee

- No box fee

At least you could fucking run...

You still can, you unlock it at 15 if your f2p, just like it used to be at launch

Originally posted by Kalmarth

Then keep on paying the sub, you want it to stay pay for it, like you have been up till now, don't want to step your account down then don't, this is so simple it hurts.

If they had never gone F2P you wouldn't be crying about this but give someone an option and they brains get all messed up.

Nope mate, its about them giving you the option, its about them being total twats about it. Its about seeing for the first time a mmorpg that has the same restrictions for free to play costumers than a facebook game.

But more than anything is about us wanting to tell the devs "you fucked up, fix it or go down. You need players, because players are content, and without players your game will die, is dying. Even if they dont pay, you need more people in warzones, you need your paying costumers to have people to play with or they will move on... and you dont want that."

You see, the only reason they went f2p was because they need people, the only reason they screwed it up is because they are greedy bastards.

They are not doing us a favor by making an unplayable f2p experience, quite the opposite. it dirties their already dirty image, makes a lot of people feel dissapointed and thats never good for bussiness.

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

WTF?

You mean the "cheap-skates" and "freeloaders" who already paid EA $$$ for a brand new game box, plus all the months of subscriptions, and who would still be paying subscriptions if not for the change to F2P - less than a year into its release? You mean the people who would like for the money they already spent on the game to at least earn them something after a move to F2P that many of them likely didn't even ask for to begin with?

No, we're talking about people who would like to be shown a bit of gratitude and appreciation as recurring customers of EA's by being given something in return for their continued membership and business.

Yes, I suppose my definition of "cheapskates" and "freeloaders" include people like you.

I purchased WoW with every expansion until Cataclysm, was subbed for 6 years, and since I cancelled  I have no access to any of the content I purchased. except for the trial thing they offer now up to level 20.

Shouldn't they be showing some gratitude after all I paid throughout the years ?

If/when I ever decide to go back to WoW, I am ready to go back with my wallet ready to pay for that kind of entertainment again, not waiting on 7 / 14  day trials like many people do.

Same with SWTOR, I do not expect a game to be free, because games mean business, they are not charities. They're already being generous in making a big chunk of the game totally free, hoping that people will at least spend some money when in game. After all, some money is better than no money at all.

But I assume you had cancelled your account a while ago, with ZERO access to most of the content (you might have been playing a free to 15 account), and now you expect to go back and get eveything for free because you were once a "subscriber"

and they should show some gratitude to people like you.

Maybe in your dream world, things work that way, but in my world, I understand just how hard it is to survive and remain profitable when you own a business, and to me, what SWTOR is offering is fair, especially for the legions of freeloaders who are not going to  spend a dime to begin with. Probably now you're wishing you had waited to play the game totally for free that way, and I think you should have waited, considering your reaction.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

They went the wrong way imo, i agree with most of the posts here.

Either make it F2P, B2P or keep P2P. Not this greedy F2P model, seems a desperate way to get more subs, nothing else.

I love star wars, bought and played for a few months but they just seem to do everything wrong.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I don't get it.

- $xx box fee

- No box fee

Let's get back to the original quote: F2P is supposed to hook more players.

In the free trial players had access to 100% content (UI included) up to level 15. Ie: give players a good feeling of the game for free.

Now in F2P while players can level up to 50 for free they have to pay to be able to totally enjoy the game.

So you find yourself very much hindered and don't really experience the full potential of the game.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

It was messed up when Turbine did it, too. I was not happy to find that content I'd already paid for with my box purchase, as well as many months of sub fees "earned" me the right to re-purchase much of the same content.

That's why I no longer play any Turbine game and refuse to support them.

I find it amazing that people actually try to justify this crap.

What do you mean "repurchase?"  When Turbine went F2P, if you purchased SoA and/or MoM, then you had that content unlocked anyway, so you didn't need to repurchase it.

If you mean the charcter slot issues, then the argument is pointless.  Nothing was stopping you from keeping a subscription up and nothing changes.

Anyway, the only reason I'm justifying anything is because the core argument people seem to have involves restrictions on free accounts.  The game hasn't changed at all for subscribers.  If you don't want to stay subscribed, how can you complain about stuff they are giving away for free, no matter how restricted is is?  Just sub and be done with it, or don't and stop whining.

You make me like charity

Its not just restrictions placed on players that make it annoying, I understand some of the restrictions as I new what to expect. 

One thing I only just noticed was increase in vendor prices for free players 

Noticed too that you can buy gear on the cartel market, sounds like play to win setup for me 

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    Originally posted by Kalmarth

Nope mate, its about them giving you the option, its about them being total twats about it. Its about seeing for the first time a mmorpg that has the same restrictions for free to play costumers than a facebook game.

But more than anything is about us wanting to tell the devs "you fucked up, fix it or go down. You need players, because players are content, and without players your game will die, is dying. Even if they dont pay, you need more people in warzones, you need your paying costumers to have people to play with or they will move on... and you dont want that."

You see, the only reason they went f2p was because they need people, the only reason they screwed it up is because they are greedy bastards.

They are not doing us a favor by making an unplayable f2p experience, quite the opposite. it dirties their already dirty image, makes a lot of people feel dissapointed and thats never good for bussiness.

I pay the sub each month and am happy to keep paying, the cartel coins have let me get some stuff that I really thought was cool, and its has opened the game up for more people to try and if they like it then sub, this is a good thing in my book, if you are really upset with it, uninstall and move on.

But I know where people are coming from they shafted me on SWG and I felt mad that the game I had paid for was not the game I had anymore, so you have my sympathy but there is nothing anyone can do about it, so as with SWG we have to bury it, make a choice and move on, plenty more games in the sea.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

WTF?

Yes, I suppose my definition of "cheapskates" and "freeloaders" include people like you.

I purchased WoW with every expansion until Cataclysm, was subbed for 6 years, and since I cancelled  I have no access to any of the content I purchased. except for the trial thing they offer now up to level 20.

Shouldn't they be showing some gratitude after all I paid throughout the years ?

If/when I ever decide to go back to WoW, I am ready to go back with my wallet ready to pay for that kind of entertainment again, not waiting on 7 / 14  day trials like many people do.

Same with SWTOR, I do not expect a game to be free, because games mean business, they are not charities. They're already being generous in making a big chunk of the game totally free, hoping that people will at least spend some money when in game. After all, some money is better than no money at all.

But I assume you had cancelled your account a while ago, with ZERO access to most of the content (you might have been playing a free to 15 account), and now you expect to go back and get eveything for free because you were once a "subscriber"

and they should show some gratitude to people like you.

Maybe in your dream world, things work that way, but in my world, I understand just how hard it is to survive and remain profitable when you own a business, and to me, what SWTOR is offering is fair, especially for the legions of freeloaders who are not going to  spend a dime to begin with. Probably now you're wishing you had waited to play the game totally for free that way, and I think you should have waited, considering your reaction.

+1. 

If people want eveyrthing that came with the game back when they played it then they can pony up the monthly sub like they once did. The only thing that has changed is an option to play a character from 1-50 with some restrictions for free. If that's not enough for them then they need to move along already. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft