Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Important subtle details in new Fire Mage Video

indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

If you haven't seen it:  

Let's get into it.

Direct hit fireball WITHOUT fire protection buff = 39 damage.

Direct hit fireball WITH fire protection buff = 29 damage.

The knockback effect seems unaffected by the fire protection buff. The knockback of fireball is highly dependant on where it strikes the player.  In the first shot we can see the fireball hits the cameraman right in the chest and sends him slightly backwards in a straight line.  The next shot it hits him off center and in the legs/feet and he is knocked up slightly and farther back in the direction we'd expect.

During the Magma Bomb demo the cameraman is hit by a normal archery arrow, not an ability.  You can tell because the arrow arcs to the cameraman which is inconsistent with any skirmisher abilities we've seen thus far.

The arrow hits for 44 damage.

Contrary to what myself and many others thought initially, it appears armor does NOT have an impact on knockbacks.  In the final clip of the Heat Stroke demo when you look at it slowly, the player on the left is actually quite a bit farther away from the point of impact than the player on the right.  In the first Heat Stroke clip the target is wearing heavier armor and a direct hit Heat Stroke sends them flying.

Conclusions:

It looks like AV has implemented balance to some degree.  The direct hit damage of a Fireball is 5 damage less than an arrow on a similar geared opponent.  An arrow is much easier to direct hit with than a fireball in combat but the fireball will always have it's aoe damage (damage scaled down based on point of impact distance from target, just like DF1).  It appears that with a FIre mage you are clearly comprimising DPS for CC.

I think this is very promising.  Can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: New findings

Bunnyhopping in its current DF1 form appears to have been removed from the game.  You can see this most clearly in the final clip with the player on the right.  When they are falling back to the ground from the knockup you can see that their forward momentum drastically slows as they come closer to the ground.  Thanks to pestiliencethecat on youtube for pointing this out.

Double edit: more findings

In the first demostration of the Fire protection buff, we can see as the cameramn starts casting the spell the number 5 on the left spell circle becomes red.  This appears to indicate what spell you are currently casting (probably depending on keybindings).  When the cameraman hops in the lava, the numbers 1-5 turn red.  This seems to indicate that a mage cannot cast spells in water (whether on surface or under).  That being said, there could be something equivalent to aqua shot from DF1 that you can purchase in order to do underwater magery.

On a similar note, in the magma bomb demonstration we can see something very intersting.  During the first clip of magma bomb the time is 12:30 CST.  Right after the magma bomb is released the #2 changes from red to white.  This seems to indicate that the spell is off cooldown and able to be casted again.  The next clip the time is 3:45 CST which simply means that this clip was recorded at a different time.  However, after casting magma bomb during this clip the #2 stays red for the rest of the duration of the clip.  What does this mean?  The devs have live control over things in the game.  During the first clip they most likely set the cooldown to 0 so they could cast a bunch of magmas for the sake of the video.  In the second clip at a later time, it appears the cooldown had been set back to normal.  This is a HUGE deal considering in DF1 this cooldown wouldn't be able to be changed without a patch to be applied during server down.  To be clear, I am speculating and this isn't confirmed.

Comments

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Thanks for the effort you put in to this post. I am not sure the knockup effects will scale with skill levels of spells or not. I hope not, knock ups were annoying in df1, mostly used to navigate over walls or barriers. Making the walls in siege battles almost pointless in certain cases. Hopefully unholy wars will not turn in to a launch/ knock up fest.
  • 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    Thanks for the effort you put in to this post. I am not sure the knockup effects will scale with skill levels of spells or not. I hope not, knock ups were annoying in df1, mostly used to navigate over walls or barriers. Making the walls in siege battles almost pointless in certain cases. Hopefully unholy wars will not turn in to a launch/ knock up fest.

I would suspect that the "level" of these skills used is going to be relatively high in the video.  This is based off the amount of damage caused to geared opponents.  Of course, the amount of damage and hp a character has and does could be changed dramatically, but if you go off DF1 damage output this would be about right for maxed out fire.

Also, it appears confirmed by this video that you can switch from 1st person to close 3rd person while using magic for sure.  Personally, I liked the old way of 1st person only for magic/archery, but I can accept the new way as long as it gets more people in the game.

P.S. It is very interesting how much the "fire shield" actually protects you now, and I wonder if someone in a support role like a buff bot for buff others will become extremely important as it is now a much more significant difference in the amount of damage you take.

• EvilskeyEvilskey Member Posts: 16

Wow, thanks for the attention to detail - especially with the numbers on damage. I just glanced at the video fairly quickly during my lunch break and I finally got home. Was going to discern the video a bit more closely but it looks like you did much of the hard work for me :) 

I like that it _appears_ to be that archery has some teeth to it. Hopefully skirmishers can hold their own because it's the role that I'm mostly interested in. I love my rangers / scouts / rogues....pretty much any non magical light to medium geared dps "classes". 

And THANK ALL THAT IS HOLY that bunny hoping is removed. Hopefully this will give mounts much more usefulness in the long run. Overall I was very pleased with the video. Significantly better than their first 2 role videos. Hopefully AV will see all the positive feedback they are geting on facebook and the forums and make the next one like it.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

With forumfall being down, I'm surprised there aren't more Forumfallers over here.

I'd like to echo the thanks for the attention to detail, Indef.  Never got to meet you in game, but you seem like a pretty stand-up individual.  Kudos.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Can't wait to try this title out, wasn't a fan of the first one. Played for a few months then dropped it.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Can't wait to try this title out, wasn't a fan of the first one. Played for a few months then dropped it.

Hopefully you won't have to pay for the second iteration of the game, having paid full price for the first. 

And hopefully the game will have improved enough for you and others who felt the same way to stick around and make this game great.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by jdlamson75
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Hopefully you won't have to pay for the second iteration of the game, having paid full price for the first. 

And hopefully the game will have improved enough for you and others who felt the same way to stick around and make this game great.

That would be nice, but heck! I can't remember my login info and I tried to retrieve it and no dice.  I get emails but it tells me I don't exist.  It will allow me to sign up with my email that I had account with previously, very odd and too lazy to report it.  I will buy another copy to save me the hassle.

I too hope to stick around and hope it draws in a bigger crowd.  Would make for fun times in OW PvP. ;)

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• witchkillerwitchkiller Member UncommonPosts: 36

FPS aiming one spell, 3rd person aiming the next.

I think that's pretty major.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    One of the big problems of the game was that there were not many places with going to, so unless you were at a sea tower or demon, you had to be in a siege or pvp tourney. Hopefully this world will be worth exploring to get people out and about and make it full of life.
  • ZootaCaneZootaCane Member Posts: 2
    Why was witchkiller's post deleted?  He was correct, this person above me couldn't be more wrong .  Every populated city was worth going to because you are going there to look for ppl to fight, or any rare ore Golem or a plethera of other 7k hp mobs where you could find ppl to fight.  He list's the sea towers, the demon, sieges and pvp tournies as all there is to do? c'mon really?  Sorry in Darkfall players make the content and it's everywhere.  Darkfall 1 best game ever.
  • SonnFereSonnFere Member Posts: 17
    great post, good observations.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    One of the big problems of the game was that there were not many places with going to, so unless you were at a sea tower or demon, you had to be in a siege or pvp tourney. Hopefully this world will be worth exploring to get people out and about and make it full of life.

Couldnt be more wrong a bout this.  On the surface for someone who hadnt played much or getting into the game deep...yeah whats the point of most places right?

Once you get into the game more than a few minuets, or even a few days, you learn where mobs are that drop stuff thats needed for you, friends, or by the market.

It became very worthwhile to explore, kill some mobs that you saw and see what they dropped.  Yes there were tools that negated this that were optional like that 3rd party interactive map...however even when you know exactly where stuff is and what drops off them theres not a whole lot of worthless map space.

In fact, prior to the map being made, exploration of the huge world was fantastic.  I remember wandering and finding a dungeon seemingly hidden. It was great because i dont think anyone knew about it for a while and was very profitable.  I did get followed in once and it didnt end well, after that it became more populated and higher risk, i moved on explored some more ect.

A lot of the surprise in exploring was finding mob spawns, mobs never spawned on top of eachother and you had to look for them, there was no way to really judge if you could take a spawn either, wich added to the fun.

This comment seems from someone who played the game on the free trial and left.