Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top hyped game on MMORPG - Paradigm shift of MMORPG player thinking?

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Anyone notice the new top hyped game on MMORPG?  It's even higher than Planetside 2!  How would such a hated, hardcore, real MMORPG get such a rating here?  I also wonder why Planetside 2 isn't higher as its fun and a more locked down style MMO that 11 million players like, right?

Could there be a paradigm shift happening in the world of MMO's?  Why are the other WoW clones not higher?

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

1 word

accounts

Multiple accounts create to skew the hype meter. It really doesn't mean anything.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    There are more people playing WoW clones than any other game.  Simple mathmatics alone would hype what players like higher than what players don't like.  Unless people are waking up and realizing how bad WoW and its clones really are?

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Lol where have you been? The hype meter here on this site is just that.hype. the vocal minorities speak. Radically .Darkfall at one point was top hyped game on this forum along side Tera and Archeage asian mmo. Lol. Clearly something wrong with the mechanics behind the hype vote.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Lol where have you been? The hype meter here on this site is just that.hype. the vocal minorities speak. Radically .Darkfall at one point was top hyped game on this forum along side Tera and Archeage asian mmo. Lol. Clearly something wrong with the mechanics behind the hype vote.

This isn't about the hyped game.  Its about the Paradigm shift we are seeing with players.  I think people are finally getting sick of WoW and its clones and want somethind different.  I see enough posts on the forums to see this shift happening and people are saying GOOD things WAY more than bad things about said game.  MMORPG's are shift back to where they should be as long as that game doesnt collapse (again!!!) because of it becoming popular.

Edit: and pave the way for more innovative games like it.. like Shadowbane 2 (one can dream, right?)

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

there's definitely a paradigm shift happening in MMOs.

however i wouldn't say the hype meter is necessarily corresponding to that.  it seems to be pretty inaccurate for its purpose.

before DF1's release it also was at the top of the hype meter 3 years ago

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    People have been vocal about their dislike of WoW cloned themeparks since they started. Most of them have been poorly made on top of that. You are right in that there a lot more people sick and tired of WoW now and have been looking for something new or are still searching. Then again, they still keep going back with each new expansion. So I'm not seeing a paradigm shift away from themeparks, they just want more quality games.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I think a lot of people don't know what they're getting into with Darkfall
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Paradigm shift?  NO

This site has a disproportionate percentage of sandboxers?  YES

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Paradigm shift?  NO

Sandbox = Real MMORPG

What role will you play?  Instead of what role are you forced into.

Paradigm shift?  NO

have you not been reading about the MMOs on the horizon?

of course we have to see how many actually make it,  but even if they were all pipe dreams, the paradigm shift is so obvious.

its a mental thing.  regardless of what fruits come from it, the thinking/planning is far different nowadays.

Corpus Callosum    

also we've had a few examples pass the threshold into reality.

even tho none of them may be different enough for my tastes (where it really counts), GW2, TSW, Tera/Raiderz, DCUO, and probably others i've forgotten, are just the beginning.

Corpus Callosum    

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

Paradigm shift?  NO

Sandbox = Real MMORPG

Dungeons and Dragons says hi,

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Paradigm shift?  NO

Sandbox = Real MMORPG

Dungeons and Dragons says hi,

The DnD MMO is not a Sandbox.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I've never understood why so many people think that there are only two sides of the "MMO coin." In this MMO coin world, one side thinks the only "right" way to make an MMO is to copy what someone else has been successful at and the other side thinks that the only "right" way to make an MMO is to make an MMO that they want, irregardless of what other people want. Kinda silly, all around.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but as of this posting the highest rated MMO on the site is currently GW2. (Pull the full games list, not just development.)

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Paradigm shift?  NO

Sandbox = Real MMORPG

Mmm i am pretty sure i have never been focrced into a role,  no matter if it was sandbox of themepark.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...