Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ridiculous New Ascended Gear (pictures)

13»

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

You can use those codes to pull up plenty of things that arent in game, and probably never will be. They seem to be linked to anything that is in the db, so even if it is real, it doesn't mean it will ever find its way into the game. 

They already showed us what the new gear would look like. 

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by rykim86

Can't believe people think there's a gear treadmill anywhere close to something like WoW. 

You want to do Tier 2 content?  Gonna need Tier 1 my friend.

Want to do Tier 3?  Oh, sorry, Tier 2 required.

ETC.

GW2?  Did most explorer mode dugeons with a mix of 80% rare and 20% master work.  100% map completion with same gear.    

Ascension will work a bit different as it does have that special stat to help with the new type of enemy, but by the sounds of it, it'll be something even PUGs should be able to get easily.

What a buncha whiners.  I just finished my first exotic armor and am working towards my weapons now and have had absolutely no trouble playing and enjoying every facet of the game.

Were you in need of a new gear tier because you were bored?

Did you see the Lost Shores update trailler/blog posts and went:

"YAY! More powerful items! Just what I wanted!"

I went:

"Yay content! Awesome art! Interesting dungeon! Boo stats increase, boooring!"

I've yet to see someone actually excited about the items or more excited about the items than the new content.

My entire guild and myself are all excited about the new gear. We are all hitting the dungeon as soon as its open to begin getting the tokens we will need. 

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by Raekon
    I don't know where you picked this screenie from but it screams photoshop to me.

And since you probably wont beleive me here are some chat links you can use IN THE GAME to see these items for yourself.

just paste it in chat and click on it:

[&Ag-gkAAA]

[&AgEJkQAwDZWd0+4GAADzMS7fZRcAAA==]

[&Agj-kAAA]

[&AgHwKAAA]

I guess the fanbois will still defend this, but it is quite obvious where the game is headed now.

No.   It's not 'obvious.'   You're just starting from a pre-conceived notion and a desire to find fault and justify your trolling.  This expansion pack was in the works before the game was released and much of it was material planned, but not ready for release as they  had to make some hard-cutoffs for release (like every other MMO ever released).    They even said they had cut material for release and were going to put it in future expansions.    For example when asked about LFG last month, they said:

We have a whole host of social features on our wishlist that we had to trim in order to ship, but we haven't forgotten about them, and I'm sure we'll revisit some of them in the future. I personally would love to take our LFG system further.

And that's one answer on a huge Reddit thread of player/developer discussion.

So, clearly,  rather than rushing out some half-completed stuff, like AoC, Warhammer, The Secret World, SWTOR and LOTRO have all done in the recent past, some material was cut and saved for future updates.    And it's not like they were perfect in the process.   There was clearly some material rushed out the door at the last minute that had to out because it was ESSENTIAL, unlike the Ascention gear.  There were number items with the wrong stats, wrong icons, wrong skins, etc. as well a bunch of semi-broken DEs, quests and skill-points.  But that stuff HAD to be released.   This gear didn't.

As far as I can see, it's only in the fevered imagination of Clan Troll does the obvious mean nothing while the conspiracy means everything.   This gear is JUST A NATURAL AND LOGICAL INTERMEDIARY between Exotic and Legendary.  It was PLANNED FROM BEFORE RELEASE and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GRIND IT.

So get over it, already.   Jeeze...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

So ANet has gone back on the promise they made, another one of the lies they told everyone incl. the Press before release. Blatant lies and missinformation was spread:

Colin Johanson

The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.

Mike O’Brien

Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games – we leave the grind to other MMOs.

This is an honest question:

Why weren't the people screaming now upset about them having rares, exotics and legendaries on release? 

Those were distinct tiers as well.  And they go against the quotes.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Xerith

Can't believe people think there's a gear treadmill anywhere close to something like WoW. 

ETC.

GW2?  Did most explorer mode dugeons with a mix of 80% rare and 20% master work.  100% map completion with same gear.    

Ascension will work a bit different as it does have that special stat to help with the new type of enemy, but by the sounds of it, it'll be something even PUGs should be able to get easily.

What a buncha whiners.  I just finished my first exotic armor and am working towards my weapons now and have had absolutely no trouble playing and enjoying every facet of the game.

I went:

I've yet to see someone actually excited about the items or more excited about the items than the new content.

My entire guild and myself are all excited about the new gear. We are all hitting the dungeon as soon as its open to begin getting the tokens we will need. 

But only because of the better stats.

That is why the Halloween event dungeon was such a fiasco.. no one did it, the servers didn't get a beating or anything.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Loke666

Anet didnt lie, they are reacting to feedback from the players. There are a zillion of threads requesting something between legendary and exoctic on this forum.

Personally I think we will be able to get the ascended gear easier after a while, but exo gear is a bit too easy to get.

+1, and i also think that this is not a major problem or even a issue, i think all the "Liars" screaming its a liitle bit exagerated, its not like this is going to ruin the game.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

ETC.

It was like that in LOTRO, too.     In the end, that's why I quit.   I spent all my time grinding daliles for tokens then raiding once a week on the chance of getting the Tier 2 helm or Tier 2 shoulders plus the tokens necessary for a Level 75 Second Age Legendary Weapon as well as the best raid Jewelry    In two months my run of luck was so bad (armor, tokens, jewelry) I had none of that raid-drop (or won on rolls if it did drop) gear on my Guardian and couldn't do the new end-raid with the dragon on her as I was under-geared.

It was a miserable experience and pretty much put me off RAID Treadmill MMOs for life.   

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

ETC.

Good for you. The rest of us are granted with pattern recognition and see this is how gear treadmills begin.

Don't be dense please.  What's the point of a stat based game if you people don't want any level of gear progression (which btw, is completely optional).  Might as well give everyone the same base stats and stat equipment and just have people play for pure skins.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

So ANet has gone back on the promise they made, another one of the lies they told everyone incl. the Press before release. Blatant lies and missinformation was spread:

Colin Johanson

The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.

Mike O’Brien

Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games – we leave the grind to other MMOs.

Why weren't people the people screaming now upset about them having rares, exotics and legendaries on release? 

Some were. First, myself included, expected all the level 80 items to have same damage or defense stats.

There is a huge thread in this forum, on the guildwars2guru forums, on mmochampions, etc.

But it was said that it wouldn't be too time consuming to get exotics, at least the ones with less interesting skins and that they could be crafted.

So you would do it once per character and be free of mandatory grind (most RPG players regard achieving level cap and max stats mandatory otherwise they are gimped).

It might come to pass that Ascended items are very easy to get.

But Anet said it will require a bigger grind for Ascended than for exotics.

Anet also didn't say it won't add higher stats items.

So we went from an established 1-2 months of casual play, with lots of diverse things to do, to not knowing when there is a patch that make our gear second tier.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

I went:

I think you read my post incorrectly.  I'm not saying yay for the ascended items.  Or nay for that matter.  I just understand they're another type of content.

I love all the things in GW2 considered side parts.  Like jumping puzzles.  The new enemy intersts me greatly because of how the ascension item works with them.  If anyone remembers GW, it was generally the same concept with the dreaded Mursaat.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Colin Johanson

Mike O’Brien

Why weren't people the people screaming now upset about them having rares, exotics and legendaries on release? 

Exotics and Legendaries had the same stats. Exotics were easy to get even for casual people like me. I was ready to get a set of armor and weapons before this patch. I would have been competitive in WvW and in PvE content. Now, looking at the massive grind for ascended items (this is important, please read on the time it will take to get these, it is very long)  I will always be worse than people with more time to burn. This wasn't the case before this patch. Skill was the most important thing. There was no "gear edge" that put people over the top because exotics were so easy to get.

There you go. I can't be competitive anymore after this patch and with future ascended weapons getting released. I don't care if they lied or not. I don't care if they destroyed their own philosophy or simply changed it. That is meaningless to me. What is meaningful is that I was on par with people with lots of time to burn, now I am not and never will be again.

And before someone says it's a small stat increase... it isn't. GW2DB was updated. Ascended items are a huge increase in total when they are all finally available. Infusions push the gap even further. I wasn't a second class citizen in this game at launch. Now, I am. It's just how things played out.

It's not the worst thing an MMO has done. But it does kinda suck because I did like the game and was happy with the old system. Now, it's just like every other themepark. Gear useless after 3 months... grind away or be at a severe disadvantage.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Varthander
    Originally posted by Loke666

Anet didnt lie, they are reacting to feedback from the players. There are a zillion of threads requesting something between legendary and exoctic on this forum.

Personally I think we will be able to get the ascended gear easier after a while, but exo gear is a bit too easy to get.

+1, and i also think that this is not a major problem or even a issue, i think all the "Liars" screaming its a liitle bit exagerated, its not like this is going to ruin the game.

What about those people who are happily playing?

they dont visit any kind of forums since they got what they wanted and most likely never created any kind of forum accounts.

But soon they are wondering wtf is going on.

Let's internet

Here is one thread complaining about gear grind in GW2.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/363676/page/1

I'll dig the other.

Edit: Can't find the other when people realized that at level 80 the items weren't all equal in stats.

I remember the user "Nadia" being quite invested in that one, so if you have a link/memory I would appreciate.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Why weren't the people screaming now upset about them having rares, exotics and legendaries on release? 

Uh, they were. Maybe you missed it. Pre-release, legendaries had better stats than exotics - you can still see their better stats on some of the GW2 database sites. The outcry was loud enough that ANet changed it, and released with legendaries having identical stats just different skins.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

Colin Johanson

Mike O’Brien

Exotics and Legendaries had the same stats. Exotics were easy to get even for casual people like me. I was ready to get a set of armor and weapons before this patch. I would have been competitive in WvW and in PvE content. Now, looking at the massive grind for ascended items (this is important, please read on the time it will take to get these, it is very long)  I will always be worse than people with more time to burn. This wasn't the case before this patch. Skill was the most important thing. There was no "gear edge" that put people over the top because exotics were so easy to get.

There you go. I can't be competitive anymore after this patch and with future ascended weapons getting released. I don't care if they lied or not. I don't care if they destroyed their own philosophy or simply changed it. That is meaningless to me. What is meaningful is that I was on par with people with lots of time to burn, now I am not and never will be again.

And before someone says it's a small stat increase... it isn't. GW2DB was updated. Ascended items are a huge increase in total when they are all finally available. Infusions push the gap even further. I wasn't a second class citizen in this game at launch. Now, I am. It's just how things played out.

It's not the worst thing an MMO has done. But it does kinda suck because I did like the game and was happy with the old system. Now, it's just like every other themepark. Gear useless after 3 months... grind away or be at a severe disadvantage.

Just because you can pull them out of the GW2.dat file does not mean they will be used. This is the problem with sites such as GW2DDB - they don't bother to research enough to find out.

It is a small increase - get over it.

If you are leaving the game then, can I have your stuff?

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

Colin Johanson

Mike O’Brien

Just because you can pull them out of the GW2.dat file does not mean they will be used. This is the problem with sites such as GW2DDB - they don't bother to research enough to find out.

It is a small increase - get over it.

If you are leaving the game then, can I have your stuff?

I used to champion GW2 like many others because it did do many things well, but I'm not a fool. When a game makes a bad change, I'll say it and move on. At the very least I have my money, a bit of self-respect, and my gear (because it's soulbound). Enjoy running on thy treadmill my hamster friend.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.