Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive loot increase and scaling in ALL areas

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

As the title says last night patch went into play, and the amount of gear drops must have been tripled. Not only that but now the drops scale to your level. I got 2 yellow drops one level 38 and one level37 from outside trash mobs outside of AC entrance. Another thing I noted is that all the armor dros were light armor  which is what I use being an ele. Same was tru with weapon drops. I wasn't getting items that my class couldn't use. 

Inside AC. Things seemed more random and normal loot. Which makes me wonder if they did something in reverse. I got better loot outside than inside.

Comments

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

As the title says last night patch went into play, and the amount of gear drops must have been tripled. Not only that but now the drops scale to your level. I got 2 yellow drops one level 38 and one level37 from outside trash mobs outside of AC entrance. Another thing I noted is that all the armor dros were light armor  which is what I use being an ele. Same was tru with weapon drops. I wasn't getting items that my class couldn't use. 

Inside AC. Things seemed more random and normal loot. Which make me wonder if they did something in reverse. I got better loot outside than inside.

Hmmm... something to test out... thanks for the tip.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    My level 68 was going through a lvl 3 area and got 2 lvl 68 gold drops from 1 heart quest and 1 Karma quest. It does seem the drops have increased.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by botrytis
    My level 68 was going through a lvl 3 area and got 2 lvl 68 gold drops from 1 heart quest and 1 Karma quest. It does seem the drops have increased.

You mean its finally working as intended? 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Gear drops have scaled since the beginning of the game...I was getting level 40 drops from plains of ashford just a week after release.
  • sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Yea the gear drops were there since day one but now it seems like they have increased the rates, which can be good. any way I will check this out when I get home.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Strange I have not been getting scaled gear untill last night. I'm level 40. It was a VERY noticeable difference. I have been running with my friend who is about 15 levels lower than me, and my gear was suffering from it. Last night changed that. But the gear outside seemed better than what was dropping inside AC explorable 2. 

Speaking of which my 3rd dungeon run. Twice have ended due to the instance being bugged. First time I wrote a post about which I found to be most uunpleasant. However last 2 times have been slightly better minus the bugs that caused us to end the run without finishing.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Update: 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2012-11-15

• The drop rarity of Rare and Exotic weapons from certain places in the world (champions, veterans, and players in WvW) has been increased. Rares and Exotics should be much more likely to drop and every champion should be guaranteed to drop loot. This was to ensure that world loot drops were not a significantly worse way of acquiring rare and exotic items than crafting and running dungeons.
    • The amount of loot that drops for downscaled players has been increased. You should now be able to receive level-equivalent loot until you are fighting at a downscaled level that is less than 2/3 of your actual level. You should also receive loot a greater percentage of the time as well as receiving a greater percentage of experience, gold, and karma. For level 80 characters, this means level 55+ areas will be able to drop level 80 gear and give about 75% or so of the other rewards. Previously, these areas would give level 77 gear at best and closer to 60% or so of your rewards.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I have a level 80 currently working on 100% map completion. I've been getting 75+ gear drops all along but they have been few and far between. Most of the drops have been zone-level. Nic to hear they've fixed this just as I get back home from my trip and can play again.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Update: 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2012-11-15

• The drop rarity of Rare and Exotic weapons from certain places in the world (champions, veterans, and players in WvW) has been increased. Rares and Exotics should be much more likely to drop and every champion should be guaranteed to drop loot. This was to ensure that world loot drops were not a significantly worse way of acquiring rare and exotic items than crafting and running dungeons.
    • The amount of loot that drops for downscaled players has been increased. You should now be able to receive level-equivalent loot until you are fighting at a downscaled level that is less than 2/3 of your actual level. You should also receive loot a greater percentage of the time as well as receiving a greater percentage of experience, gold, and karma. For level 80 characters, this means level 55+ areas will be able to drop level 80 gear and give about 75% or so of the other rewards. Previously, these areas would give level 77 gear at best and closer to 60% or so of your rewards.

Big step in the right direction. As someone who likes to play the game world in a more free-form manner, with only minor regard for the level disparity between the zone I'm in and my character level, I'd like to see power levels scaled down slightly more with level scaling and drops/rewards improved a bit further. Currently, "the entire game can be endgame", but more than half of it is pretty unrewarding. Ideally, the efficiencies would be balanced so that grining low level areas would never be a more efficient farming strategy, but the "penalty" for laying low level areas would not be more than 20% when comparing rate of return per hour of play.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Lets hope they lower the entry level to the next set of content they release just like they did this. If they continue to make past things easier to get as new content is added, ANET future reduces the gear grind in their new treadmill. 

Edit: I don't know when this patch went live, but I noticed that it worked like this when you were scaled up when I was doing the halloween event. I used my fresh characters as a way to increase drop chance of rae stuff in the mad king dungon and noticed that all the levle 80 mobs wouldn't drop anything more than 26 levels higher than my characters. So I'm not surprised that down scaling works the same way and assumed it did, which explained why level 60+ zones would drop level 80 gear while 59 and lower didn't tend to. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by xpiher

Lets hope they lower the entry level to the next set of content they release just like they did this. If they continue to make past things easier to get as new content is added, ANET future reduces the gear grind in their new treadmill. 

Edit: I don't know when this patch went live, but I noticed that it worked like this when you were scaled up when I was doing the halloween event. I used my fresh characters as a way to increase drop chance of rae stuff in the mad king dungon and noticed that all the levle 80 mobs wouldn't drop anything more than 26 levels higher than my characters. So I'm not surprised that down scaling works the same way and assumed it did, which explained why level 60+ zones would drop level 80 gear while 59 and lower didn't tend to. 

Yes, its always worked that way they just made it more rewarding. They also added pvp dailies and montlies which I was waiting for anxiously.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

That would explain at level 80 when I farm the Thaumanova Reactor the event rewards were drastically reduced.  Less than a silver awarded per event, half the karma and a severe cut in XP reward.

Ah well.  Knew it wouldn't last lol.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Seriously. Why bother with levels or progression anymore.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    We shouldn't have to thats the point
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Inside AC. Things seemed more random and normal loot. Which makes me wonder if they did something in reverse. I got better loot outside than inside.

It was weird.  I played for about 15-minutes this AM and got a yellow dagger in Ore.   Level 80 and everything.    And perfect because I just went back to D/D elementalist from Staff elementalist.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by cybertrucker As the title says last night patch went into play, and the amount of gear drops must have been tripled. Not only that but now the drops scale to your level. I got 2 yellow drops one level 38 and one level37 from outside trash mobs outside of AC entrance. Another thing I noted is that all the armor dros were light armor  which is what I use being an ele. Same was tru with weapon drops. I wasn't getting items that my class couldn't use.  Inside AC. Things seemed more random and normal loot. Which makes me wonder if they did something in reverse. I got better loot outside than inside.

It was weird.  I played for about 15-minutes this AM and got a yellow dagger in Ore.   Level 80 and everything.    And perfect because I just went back to D/D elementalist from Staff elementalist.

Unrelated question: How's the elementalist doing nowadays, I hear a lot of whining about how it's extremely underpowered compared to other professions. Any truth to that?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by umie214

Then the game shouldn't claim to be an RPG. 

As it is, there's literally nothing to make two elementalists different from one another.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

As it is, there's literally nothing to make two elementalists different from one another.

Exactly. It amuses me how usually the same people that whine about no end-game content are the ones who want to get there the fastest.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by cybertrucker As the title says last night patch went into play, and the amount of gear drops must have been tripled. Not only that but now the drops scale to your level. I got 2 yellow drops one level 38 and one level37 from outside trash mobs outside of AC entrance. Another thing I noted is that all the armor dros were light armor  which is what I use being an ele. Same was tru with weapon drops. I wasn't getting items that my class couldn't use.  Inside AC. Things seemed more random and normal loot. Which makes me wonder if they did something in reverse. I got better loot outside than inside.

Unrelated question: How's the elementalist doing nowadays, I hear a lot of whining about how it's extremely underpowered compared to other professions. Any truth to that?

My main is ele and I don't see any issues with it on the pve side. On the spvp side they were kinda crappy there for a while but they got some recent buffs and you see a lot more dagger/dagger ele's around that are very effective and they also changed their downed state skills. Before they were mainly used for taking down trebs with meteor shower(although that has been changed). In wvw they have always been pretty good, range AoE is always good on wvw.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I was grinding for a couple of hours in cursed shores including several mutli-person DEs and got my standard 1-2 blues and an odd green. No unusual numbers of any drops, let alone any yellows or better.

*shrug* Same with the LA debacle event. Half the critters I was hellping to kill did drop but all basic blues or greens.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I enjoy my ele. However we have a lot of AOEs and table cloth for armor. Which can lead to some ticked off mobs if your not careful that will take you Down quick.  Especially with very limited CC and no taunts in the game. Unlike many other classes you will be almost forced to use a lot of your defensive utilities to survive. 

I can't really compare to other classes as so far I have only leveled my ele. If I want to play a tanky class I play another game...TERA lancer is awesome.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Because roleplaying is not linked to human imagination but rather hardcoded stats/abilities and sql-tables?

Sounds to me like the 2012 "definition" of RPG is: "Randomized Progression Gear".

Yeah I am an old nostalgic thinking back to actual oldschool analogue values of pen/paper/imagination when it was all about "Role Playing Games".

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

UO doesn't have levels. I take it you think it shouldn't also be caled an RPG?

2 Elementalists can differ by skillset, weapons of choice, and traits. In short, build.

Ele "A" can build himself to clone Ele "B", but in practice, they're better off diversified for better group synergy.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Seriously. Why bother with levels or progression anymore.

Because people bitch and moan if you dont have those things.  If I remember correctly, Anet at least seriously considered not even having levels when they first started making the game.  Based on feedback from gamers, they changed their minds.

Why?  Because it's apparently all about the carrot.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105

That's odd, because I have noticed the opposite: drops seem to be dminishing and I am not getting good loot. I got the same item 3 times for completing high level zones, but at least it was useful to my class.

Dye drops have definitely been nerfed to the ground. I finished Mount Maelstrom, Frostgorge and enough WvW to get me from 59 to 80 and then finished Straights of Devastation. In all this i got a grand total of 6 dyes, all crap.