Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storm Legion - Best mmo expansion for a AAA mmo in many years

Comments

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156
    If only the game wasn't run by Politeness Nazis
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Volgore
    Thanks everyone for your answers so far.Dont mean to highjack the thread, but if someone could possibly explain the change as to how mob tabbing now works in SL? I read somewhere that Trion changed something about it.Thanks again!
    Yeah i noticed that mobs dont turn grey if someone im not grouped with hits it first. I can still loot, get quest credit and xp. Im not sure exactly how much xp or if it goes down for doing less damage.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Volgore
    Thanks everyone for your answers so far.

Dont mean to highjack the thread, but if someone could possibly explain the change as to how mob tabbing now works in SL? I read somewhere that Trion changed something about it.

Thanks again!

Yeah i noticed that mobs dont turn grey if someone im not grouped with hits it first. I can still loot, get quest credit and xp. Im not sure exactly how much xp or if it goes down for doing less damage.

Yeah, it's kinda been a PITA for being a Butcherer. Think you are going to skin a mob and....NOPE, not yours. LOL

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    What makes it so good ?  Just saying that saying it is good is subjective. Glad you are having fun though!
  • KaateteKaatete Member Posts: 1
    Really loving Sl at the min,the best mmorpg out there by a country mile.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Yeah, I think Trion released a sleeper here. Better to be pleasantly surprised than let down by overly hyped opinions.

But.......We still have to vet out how the game will play at 60.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Yeah, I think Trion released a sleeper here. 

I dont see how it can be a sleeper when its been hyped beyond belief.  

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I came back to Rift and am having a great time playing. I think my initial problem post release is it was just too similar to WoW and too soon after quitting WOTLK. After time away, the game really has grown and is worth the sub for the dungeons alone. Very refreshing after GW2. It's nice to play with people again and be a part of a community. Really glad I gave this title another chance.
  • jenseajensea Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I wish this game had launched in its current state . Best MMO out there by far.  I was a big fan of TBC era WoW -- this is better. If they could optimitze it a bit more it would be a 10/10 for me. I regret quitting shortly after launch, but at least I have a massive amount of things to do now.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I really wanted to like Rift, but I felt the lore just wasn't my thing.  It's not as bad as GW2 lore, but still not that great.

I think it's awesome that people are liking the expansion though.  Need more companies like Trion.

You make me like charity

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I'm glad you're not involved with my game of choice. Or are you? If you are.. I just don't get it. SL hasn't been hyped, you need to learn what hype means. If you arn't playing the expansion, stop going around posting about your made up conclusions please. Things you are saying mean nothing if you arn't trying it out yourself.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Ehh? i don't think you know what that means.

Originally posted by Vannor

I'm glad you're not involved with my game of choice. Or are you? If you are.. I just don't get it. SL hasn't been hyped, you need to learn what hype means. If you arn't playing the expansion, stop going around posting about your made up conclusions please. Things you are saying mean nothing if you arn't trying it out yourself.

what does hype have to do with playing the expansion.  It actually has absolutely nothing to do with it.  

When people talking about how great the expansion is, you have hype.  People are proclaiming it the greatest expansion ever, thats hype.   And it was before the expansion too, people were talking about how great Sl was going to be.

You have to keep in mind Rift has about the same playerbase as LOTRO.  how much buzz was there about Riders of Rohan before it was released compared to how much buzz there was about SL?  A lot of it is Trion, they advertised pretty heavily and the picture of Crucia alone generated a lot of buzz.  Then you get buzz phrases like 'more than triple the size of the existing world'.  I will bet you more people know of SL than RoR and the EQ2 expansion combined, yet the player bases of those two combined is certainly larger than Rift and the ex-playerbase as well.  Trion is good at that sort of thing though.

• nolins12nolins12 Member Posts: 9
    Recently quit LOTRO after the shitshow that was Riders of Rohan, Have heard nothing but great things about this Rift expansion, thinking about starting.
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

A lot of it is Trion, they advertised pretty heavily and the picture of Crucia alone generated a lot of buzz. 

Yeah I actually can't remember the last time I came to mmorpg.com and didn't see Crucia's tits on the sidebar ad.

what does hype have to do with playing the expansion.  It actually has absolutely nothing to do with it.  

When people talking about how great the expansion is, you have hype.  People are proclaiming it the greatest expansion ever, thats hype.   And it was before the expansion too, people were talking about how great Sl was going to be.

You have to keep in mind Rift has about the same playerbase as LOTRO.  how much buzz was there about Riders of Rohan before it was released compared to how much buzz there was about SL?  A lot of it is Trion, they advertised pretty heavily and the picture of Crucia alone generated a lot of buzz.  Then you get buzz phrases like 'more than triple the size of the existing world'.  I will bet you more people know of SL than RoR and the EQ2 expansion combined, yet the player bases of those two combined is certainly larger than Rift and the ex-playerbase as well.  Trion is good at that sort of thing though.

Here's a definition of hype for you: Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.

When they said 'tripled the size of the world', it was not an exaggeration.. nor is anything else they or anyone has said. Hyping something is making something sound better than it actually is. Lots of people talking about or liking something isn't hype, that's just popularity. Rift's expansion is more popular than Rider's of Rohan.. not more hyped. Hyping and buzz (popularity) are not the same thing. Listing features that are 100% in the game isn't hyping, it's describing.

Now, ArenaNet saying things like.. it's your story and you will have an impact on the world around you, townfolk will remember the things you have done.. that was hyping because it didn't come across anything like that in the final product, they exaggerated it.

So, because you havn't played the expansion (assumed from what you've said) you have no idea if any if it was or is exaggerated. You don't know if it's being hyped.. and from the reaction of people playing, and my personal experience, it isn't.

Here's a definition of hype for you: Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively

When they said 'tripled the size of the world', it was not an exaggeration.. 

How is what Trion did for SL (large press releases every 2 weeks or less for months before the expansion) not hype then, by that definition?  Also....

FACT:  Storm Legion did not triple the size of Rift.

And calling an expansion the best ever before seeing what its like even a month after release is hyping it up.  No one has any real way of knowing yet.  Most people arent even 60 yet.

Also: calling an expansion the best ever before saying what its like a month after release is hyping it up.  No one has any real way of knowing yet.  Most people arent even 60 yet.

Erm.. I think you need go have a wander around on the two new continents and you will see that they have, in 'fact', tripled the size of the game world. You don't know what you are talking about and are getting into troll territory.

Look, most people think the expansion is 'better' than they thought.. that is the exact opposite of something that was hyped.

You don't know what you are talking about and are getting into troll territory.

I know exactly what I am talking about.  But hey, if you have to try to insult people to make your arguments, go for it.

I know exactly what I am talking about.  But hey, if you have to try to insult people to make your arguments, go for it.

What I said there is simply another fact. Stop trying to grab the moral highground to defend the fact you are completely wrong. You don't know anything about SL and you don't know what hyping something actually means.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Here's a definition of hype for you: Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively

How is what Trion did for SL (large press releases every 2 weeks or less for months before the expansion) not hype then, by that definition?  Also....

And calling an expansion the best ever before seeing what its like even a month after release is hyping it up.  No one has any real way of knowing yet.  Most people arent even 60 yet.

Its called Advertising.

As for your "fact", wheres the proof to back up your "fact"

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

What I said there is simply another fact. Stop trying to grab the moral highground to defend the fact you completely wrong. You don't know anything about SL and you don't know what hyping something actually means.

OWNAGE!!

What I said there is simply another fact. Stop trying to grab the moral highground to defend the fact you completely wrong. You don't know anything about SL and you don't know what hyping something actually means.

You posted a definition.  What Trion did with SL fits that definition.  I beta'd Storm Legion, I played it plenty.  And while I did not walk every zone, there is a scaled map.  You dont have to walk every zone.  Really, you are just underestimating how big tripled really is.

You can keep saying I am wrong or that I know nothing about Storm Legion, but repeating it over and over again doesnt make it true.

but repeating it over and over again doesnt make it true.

Same thing applies to you buddy. You can't even understand the definition I gave you properly. You are a lost cause.

Originally posted by xAPOCx

Its called Advertising.

As for your "fact", wheres the proof to back up your "fact"

Is advertising not 'Promote or Publicize a product' as his deifnition of hype stated?  Did Trion not advertise intensively?

And no, I havent done any mathematical analysis ingame for numerical proof, but its obvious if you start comparing the old map vs the new and take into account the scaling that its not triple.  More than double, yes.  More than triple...no.