Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS2 is a serious dissapointment

nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

TLDR: PS2 is basically PS1 with new graphics... except not as good as PS1. Wow great job SOE.

What I don't get is why PS2 is so similar to PS1? And not only is it insanely similar, PS2 actually removes some of the cool features of PS1 like being able to loot enemy packs. Now if you're on a streak and you run out of ammo you just suicide to get more because there's no way to get more ammo short of hacking a console? That makes no sense. And why did they take away the inventory? I had a great time managing my inventory. I could build a load out that was completely different that the guy next to me. Let's take that out. It's too confusing. lol Too confusing?? WTF? Well yeah nether the chimps in our lab couldn't figure it out, so we removed it.

They should have added more things to do in Planetside 2. I was kind of expecting it. I mean it's a sequel right? It needs to BUILD on the first version. Like instead of static bases all over that nobody gives a damn about, maybe allow us to get resources with machines or something and build our own bases. Or at least allow outfits to 'own' a base and get some kind of profits from holding it. Or maybe make weapons in the game not infinite, so we need bases to manufacture them. Basically take PS1 to the next level. Make it a real sandbox. In it's current state it's just a giant Battlefield 3.

Or even allowing us to have some kind of money system, so people don't just suicide rush out there. And I'm not talking about the lame system they have now where you get some kind of resources for your side holding specific parts of the map. Nobody gives a crap about that, and secondly it's not personalized enough. If you had some kind of personal money system, you could have people scavenging ammo and guns from the enemies they kill. Maybe you could then sell them to some guy who has a gun exchange shop set up. Also you could maybe go gather some resources to make more cash, which would then at least give you something to fight over that actually matters.

PS2 is a real dissapointment. Since they made the same game basically, why didn't they just pull out BFRs and give PS1 some new graphics? It would actually be a better game since we'd have inventory back and the ability to loot bodies.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but hope it's obvious, I played PS1 for about a year when it launched. Got to BR 18 or something with 3000 kills. I quit when BFRs came out.

nethervoid - Est. '97
[UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

While I agree with much of what you said, I still have loads of fun playing this game. PS1 was more complex, and added things over time that made it even more rich. I am hoping that PS2 will be the same way.

As for "building" on the original, I can't think of any sequels that have actually done this. Each new game that comes out looks better than the last, but is more dumbed down and featureless than its predecessor. This is not unique to PS2.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Wait wait wait,

You're DISAPPOINTED in the game because they didn't do things YOU think they should have done?  Why is that PS2's fault and not your own misconceptions about what it is?

The loot thing, I can understand.  You don't have to kill yourself.  Hack a terminal for a loadout, run around with an engineer, there's TON's of options there but killing yourself was YOUR choice.

Sequels don't have to build on the first.  Look at GW2.  Again, your misconception.

And WTF are you talking about with "personal money system" you mean like Commendations?  (used for buying upgrades, getting better gear, etc) Or the 3 different "resources" you gain so you can buy weapons/upgrades/tanks/planes/etc that you EARN via capturing control points?  Hell, they even put in SC so you can buy gear with real money if you don't wanna play for it.  What kind of MONEY are you looking for then?

I'm sorry your disappointed but I can't see any of these faults being more than you going into a game NOT knowing what you were getting into.

You seem to want a sandbox.  And at NO POINT was PS2 ever listed as such.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by ignore_me

While I agree with much of what you said, I still have loads of fun playing this game. PS1 was more complex, and added things over time that made it even more rich. I am hoping that PS2 will be the same way.

As for "building" on the original, I can't think of any sequels that have actually done this. Each new game that comes out looks better than the last, but is more dumbed down and featureless than its predecessor. This is not unique to PS2.

I would agree I think for MMOs. I've never played an MMO sequel. I just assume a sequel will be adding new features to at least the core features of the 1st version. I guess because all other games but MMOs do this? Sim City. Civilization. Warcraft. Starcraft. Etc etc.

nethervoid - Est. '97

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by nethervoid

I would agree I think for MMOs. I've never played an MMO sequel. I just assume a sequel will be adding new features to at least the core features of the 1st version. I guess because all other games but MMOs do this? Sim City. Civilization. Warcraft. Starcraft. Etc etc.

There was too much wrong with core mechanics in PS1. Sorry you don't see that.

Originally posted by Ikeda

Wait wait wait,

You're DISAPPOINTED in the game because they didn't do things YOU think they should have done?  Why is that PS2's fault and not your own misconceptions about what it is?

The loot thing, I can understand.  You don't have to kill yourself.  Hack a terminal for a loadout, run around with an engineer, there's TON's of options there but killing yourself was YOUR choice.

Sequels don't have to build on the first.  Look at GW2.  Again, your misconception.

And WTF are you talking about with "personal money system" you mean like Commendations?  (used for buying upgrades, getting better gear, etc) Or the 3 different "resources" you gain so you can buy weapons/upgrades/tanks/planes/etc that you EARN via capturing control points?  Hell, they even put in SC so you can buy gear with real money if you don't wanna play for it.  What kind of MONEY are you looking for then?

I'm sorry your disappointed but I can't see any of these faults being more than you going into a game NOT knowing what you were getting into.

No I'm dissapointed in the game because it doesn't add anything PS1 didn't do just as good or better. I was expecting more. They gave me less.

nethervoid - Est. '97

Also I think not looting makes engineers with ammo packs more relevant.

Wow this is pretty much true (sadly) and PS2 is no exception.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Wait wait wait,

What he saw is PS1 lite.

What he was expecting is PS2.

But theres still hope,they are adding new content all the time.

Let's internet

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

if you had played as a combat engineer in PS1 you'd realise that having them around just for a few ammo packs etc, is actually a waste of time, combat engineers were there to help bolster defences, from minefields, anti personnel and anti vehicle mines, shadow turrets, anti vehicle turrets, regular spitfire turrets even just to bolster point defence, or how about dropping a manned turret, or detectors, or explosive packs that you can remote detonate,  upgrading base defences making them stronger against vehicles or aircraft, or just plain repairing them from battle damage.  engineers in PS2 have never been more irrelevant.  and im with the OP on this, PS2 is nowhere near as good as PS1, and as a sequel, that is a very bad base to start from, will it get better over time, given that so many things with PS2 are based on some ridiculous premises, i'd seriously be worried about it getting worse. image

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I predict that like several others SOE games of recent years, this game will have some decent interest at the beginning, but once the newness wears off, it will go the way of DCUO.

Not terrible ideas, but shallow (and more shallow even than the previous incarnation).

Fun for a while, but ultimately little staying power.

Ah I see what you mean. Maybe they could have gone one further an allowed engies to set up like forward supply stations or something. But I think looting really still needs to be in game. It makes too much sense not to have.

nethervoid - Est. '97

Look, if you had any interest in PS2, you'd know they are far from "done". Development doesn't stop at launch. I'm not going to point you to the posts made up to this day about future plans (Like...Player-bases), you should do your own work.

[mod edit]

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

Look, if you had any interest in PS2, you'd know they are far from "done". Development doesn't stop at launch. I'm not going to point you to the posts made up to this day about future plans (Like...Player-bases), you should do your own work.

Now stop being a tool by drawing conclusions without researching things properly. That said, if you want it to be like PS1: the door is over there.

You beat me to it.

There is a lot of crying about what the game is "in it's current state" but the really good stuff is coming in about a year. The good part is you can play (4 days from now) for free untill it comes.

[mod edit]

Not sure if you've been paying attention to the MMO industry over the past 10 years or so, but games get 1 shot to make it or break it. It must be awesome at launch. People are tired of empty promises of 'it will be so awesome later'. Only indie companies get to do that.

nethervoid - Est. '97

Originally posted by Phry

if you had played as a combat engineer in PS1 you'd realise that having them around just for a few ammo packs etc, is actually a waste of time, combat engineers were there to help bolster defences, from minefields, anti personnel and anti vehicle mines, shadow turrets, anti vehicle turrets, regular spitfire turrets even just to bolster point defence, or how about dropping a manned turret, or detectors, or explosive packs that you can remote detonate,  upgrading base defences making them stronger against vehicles or aircraft, or just plain repairing them from battle damage.  engineers in PS2 have never been more irrelevant.  and im with the OP on this, PS2 is nowhere near as good as PS1, and as a sequel, that is a very bad base to start from, will it get better over time, given that so many things with PS2 are based on some ridiculous premises, i'd seriously be worried about it getting worse. image

PS1 was admittedly a long time ago, so I'll give you your Junior Engy Badge to validate your recollections. Granted that everything you said is cool engy stuff, it doesn't invalidate my point. Ammo packs address that poster's concern about looting in PS2.

I'll also agree that its not as good as PS1.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You know what planetside 2 should be.

Exactly like the first but with better graphics

Then with this new stuff
    Naval combat
    A "rogue" continent, where players fight gvg rather than rvr
    A "frontier" continent, where players build bases in the vein of perpetuum
    A 4th faction, just for the hell of it.

E.g. have a glossier version of the original for the vets. Have some new stuff to bring in new players. Don't take stuff out.

That said I will be playing, even if its 90% the original it will be only bettered by the original, daoc and eve pvp wise.

[mod edit]

Not sure if you've been paying attention to the MMO industry over the past 10 years or so, but games get 1 shot to make it or break it. It must be awesome at launch. People are tired of empty promises of 'it will be so awesome later'. Only indie companies get to do that.

I agree.

That said, I enjoy the game a LOT in it's current state. The past months in beta have also been quite refreshing. They made SO many changes based on our feedback, it's just silly.

So yeah, up to this point it's looking very good, in my opinion. Will they keep that up? Who knows. But I like to keep an open mind about it, especially since it's a F2P title (as in: I won't have to set up a subscription to see if things have progressed).

I respect it if someone doesn't like the game. But only for the right reasons :).

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Now stop being a tool by drawing conclusions without researching things properly. That said, if you want it to be like PS1: the door is over there.

If you look at the last ten years in the mmo industry you'll know that why those games had some issues is because they were complete reskins of WoW, also, PS1 combat was clunky as hell , the map system wasn't nearly as good as PS2, and the fact that the game was a Pay to play title, I could go on and on but I won't because it's not relevent.

The part in red is full of crap, Look at EverQuest 2 , it launched badly but yet it's still going strong with a dedicated fan base, hell even Vanguard which in my opinion had the WORST launch ever in any mmorpg period has a strong community of players now, so I think the real question is here, are YOU paying attention to the mmo genre this decade?

Before you blow me out of the water ,  I have played PS1 at beta and launch for many years and that includes many many others, so  to conclude this conversation, I thikn , from a vet point of view, that PS2 is leaps and bounds better, the ONLY thing I wish they had in PS2 was hacking of doors ect.