Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANET pulled a Funcom

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I think its ok as long you can decide for yourself how to obtain the new gear.

Dungeon drops

no problem for me, if iam forced to play dungeon crawler WoW 2.0 /uninstall.
    But Anet already said it can be obtained trough more then 1 way, so i gues we shoulnt be to worried.

But you never know untill proven :)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 

You should have expected the possibility before buying the game. It is your fault that you still took the risk and got burnt.

Did he ask for a refund?

I thought he was just saying the game was not fun for him anyore due to inclusion of things that kill his fun in a game like this (read gear grind with the potential to be never ending).

A few people have said since launch that the game needed gear grind and endgame activities similar to other games.

I and others have said "Well this game isn't for you, go play any of the dozens of games following that model".

Now Anet is saying "Actually you guys that dislike gear grind can go look for another game".

Of course they don't want those players to leave, they are banking on them staying since they are the old fan base from GW1.

And you only need to read these forums to see some will say "Green is the best color ever" if Anet says it and bash everyone that says "actually red is the best color" but next day if Anet says "Red is the best color ever" they will start saying the same as if they always did.

Fanboys are always please, Haters are always unhappy.

Then there are people that think for their heads and are pleased or displeased acording with the circumstances.

He is whining about it and blaming Arenanet when a major part of the fault lies in him rather than on Arenanet. Of course, if he asked for a refund too, then it would be even worse from my viewpoint.

Yes, he is complaining about a change.

You can come and say that the change isn't a big deal. He can then say it is a big deal for him.

Anet then decides on player feedback or lack of it what to do.

And it would be the end of it.

Then there are people saying "no, actually nothing has changed. It is the same as always." and they go posting false piece of information after false piece of information to try to prove there was no change.

This is a fundamental change to what existed and was talked for years. It isn't a skill change, it isn't a tweak.

You can like it, dislike it, be indiferent.

No denying of reality though.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I wonder if they''ll ever pull a "Funcom" with the Cash Shop.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 

Get over yourself. They announced this stuff in the manifesto. They just didn't have it ready.

Have you made enough threads on this topic? Mods - please close this one as it is just another troll thread.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

They're filling a "time to acquire" void, that's all. Exotics you can get quickly and easily with minimal effort. Legendaries were taking way too long for most people to even have a realistic shot of getting. So between them is one more layer, Ascended. They'll be harder to get than Exotics, yet no where as time consuming as Legendaries. They explained this perfectly when talking about the "Legendary Wall". People would quickly get all exotics, then the enxt step to Legendary weapons was so daunting that many simply wouldn't go there. Now you have a more realistic time sink for minor gear improvements with Ascended, and you also have a whole later option for lateral gear progression in the Ascended tier by introducing new dungeons (with new skins and infusions) that will give those that wish it a new time sink.

It's really not that complicated, nor is it a nefarious plot to go stealth WoW on us.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Volkon

It's really not that complicated, nor is it a nefarious plot to go stealth WoW on us.

Then why add in stats to the the Agony upgrades? Thats what I thought.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by SirFubar

Well I'm done arguing with you guys. Believe whatever you think, I know I have full confidence in Anet because they know how to make things great. If you wanna leave, then go on, no one will stop you. I'll just play the game and have fun while laughing at the people who quit for such a stupid reasons. I will also laugh at the noobs who thinks their ascended gear will make them SO MUCH POWERFULL and pwn them with a smile on my face.

This is a dangerous stance to take. I really don't get some of you around here. Why do you love and defend these companies like they're your family? Do they really care that much for you? Or are they trying to make money and sell a product? I mean shit, I play these games and have fun while doing so, but I treat these companies like the whores they are. They want my money, I want some fun. Get it? As long as its worth it, I'll pay. But that's as far as the relationship will go. Some of you want to open mouth kiss and have a relationship with a hooker lol (hooker =game company).
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

They're filling a "time to acquire" void, that's all. Exotics you can get quickly and easily with minimal effort. Legendaries were taking way too long for most people to even have a realistic shot of getting. So between them is one more layer, Ascended. They'll be harder to get than Exotics, yet no where as time consuming as Legendaries. They explained this perfectly when talking about the "Legendary Wall". People would quickly get all exotics, then the enxt step to Legendary weapons was so daunting that many simply wouldn't go there. Now you have a more realistic time sink for minor gear improvements with Ascended, and you also have a whole later option for lateral gear progression in the Ascended tier by introducing new dungeons (with new skins and infusions) that will give those that wish it a new time sink.

For haters It's to complex to fathom, don't bother to try to explain it for them they won't understand it anyway.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

That is a lie.

There are exotic sets that are as almost as hard to get as legendaries.

Not only that, some of the exotic items sell for ridiculous high prices - do you think a few dozen dungeon runs to acquire an exotic or exotics requiring 50g+  isn't grinding and it is casual?

That is one.

Second is the fact Anet changed their policy that max stat items should be easy to acquire and grinds of hundreds and thousand of hours should be only reserved for aesthetic rewards and not impact gameplay so it remains optional and not mandatory.

Third there will be a gap between ascendend and legendaries.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Anet pulled an anet: giving amazing free content and properly balancing PvP. No other mmo company can do that ;)
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by botrytis

Get over yourself. They announced this stuff in the manifesto. They just didn't have it ready.

Have you made enough threads on this topic? Mods - please close this one as it is just another troll thread.

Care to show us? because i have seen manifesto several times. Maybe i missed the part where they talked about introducing armor with higher stats?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Rohn

ANET are quickly learning that bucking convention just for the sake of bucking convention has a price

What price..? Higher revenue?

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Gdemami

ANET are quickly learning that bucking convention just for the sake of bucking convention has a price

That isn't such a terrible thing...it is their main raison d'être, no? Which is why I don't get all the brown nosing that goes on with ANet and several other companies.

They're businesses! They want my moolah, no? Well they better earn it, like every other company out there.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I don't really care one way over another.  I basically hit 80 on my Thief, then started a mesmer.  Felt the mesmer was to powerful at level 41 so switched to necro who is now level 45.  I doubt I will ever see all of the content or high end gear.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Care to show us? because i have seen manifesto several times. Maybe i missed the part where they talked about introducing armor with higher stats?

I can't wait to see what else in the manifesto becomes open to interpretation and/or subject to change.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Anet wants to beat WOW..so it is never enough till they beat WOW and become number one. That is their goal.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I can't wait to see what else in the manifesto becomes open to interpretation and/or subject to change.

There is no such thing in manifesto, i am quite sure about that. But yeah i would like him to show us where Anet talked about these changes.

In my opinion Anet defense force is just getting desperate now.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Nope, there's no gear threadmill in GW2 that is about to being added. Only people that are blind are believing this crap. People don't even understand what a REAL gear threadmill is. This is not WoW and will never be. I feel sorry for you for not able to understand simple things.

If only people like you would stop playing already, we would have a wonderful game.

Apparently you didn't see the post saying "We won't say there won't be gear with better stats in future updates" Or looked at the new Agony upgrades that include STAT upgrades, Or the fact that the only place to get those items is IN THE NEW DUNGEON and its tired to RNG! 

They just foriced WvW players to grind a dungeon! They just invalidated everyone's multiple armor sets!  Nothing is stoping them from doing it again in the future.

Because they're going to have EXPANSION PACKS.   Just like with GW1.

And they're not STUPID ENOUGH to box themselves in with hard promises because they know there are people like you who can't handle any developer changing anything about a game at time without making cry-fest threads like this!!!!

YOU ARE THE REASON THEY DO NOT MAKE HARD PROMISES.   Deal with it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

They billed me seven times for the same month?

Wait, no, they *can't* pull a Funcom, they don't have my card.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

There is no such thing in manifesto, i am quite sure about that. But yeah i would like him to show us where Anet talked about these changes.

Colin Johanson wrote:

The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.

This is what they wrote a while ago. SO stop with the 'A.Net is not following their manidfesto' - they are. YOU NEED TO READ ALL OF IT.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Sigh...   A rational, coherent explantion will only make the haters dig in more.    The opening paragraph on Confirmation Bias does a good job summarizing this problem:

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.[Note 1][1] People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. For example, in reading about gun control, people usually prefer sources that affirm their existing attitudes. They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

So, we've had a few threads on what "full" means.   Spectacularly mis-interpreted by the trolls.   

We have the manifesto and game interviews from years ago when the game was, at best, in Alpha that have been modified or superseded, yet are treated as Holy, Inviolate Texts like it was the Bible when it suits them.    All while obliviously missing the main point -- you can successfully play the game without grinding those upscale armor and weapons, but if you want to, you'll have to put in the time (which they did disclose).

And they never, ever, ever listen to, acknowledge or correct their erroneous positions and simply dig-in harder when confronted because they are so emotionally invested in trolling the game and finding faults that they just make stuff up and will be damned to hell before the get off their fixed, false belief structures.

Colin Johanson wrote:

The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.

This is what they wrote a while ago. SO stop with the 'A.Net is not following their manidfesto' - they are. YOU NEED TO READ ALL OF IT.

Not anymore.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Colin Johanson wrote:

You can't read mate?

rarest items in the game ARE now more powerful than other, so you do need them to be the best. It's no longer about looks. Have you checked all the grinding you need to do to get the rings/backs? It will take quite a bit to get one and this will eventually be for ALL gear. And finally, people that want to chase it will, but those that don't WON'T be as powerful.

I've supported Anet for quite sometime, but this is going against all they stood for and what I supported. They lied and gave in the the power creep, they've lost my trust and that of many others, it's all over the official forums.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Adding gear grind is definitely not what the Guild Wars franchise is all about. 
  • eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

Many people are happy about this '' change '' from now to then, so people can be more engaged with the world and charecter progression. You should have undestood it from the start, Guild Wars 2 maybe is not focused on gear but it is still there, and you will always want to get the new good one. It is just like when the game came out and some people said '' With GW2, you can complete the game with level 1 gear, since gear is not imprtant there '' ... you gotta understand the philosphy first before making '' announcements ''.

ANet is afterall a gaming company, and if you ever think, or anyone else, that they are '' the nice guys who are trying to cure cancer '', you are wrong buddy, they are a company and people there have a job. They need ways to generate money, they are doing it kinda well right now, and better than almost all other companies in the industry, however, they are still not '' angels '' and money will be the goal of their job.

This discussion has been closed.