Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANET pulled a Funcom

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by grimgryphon Originally posted by xpiher Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 
    That's not surprising. ANET isn't special. Business as usual in the MMO industry.
    Its cool. I'll simply never buy another themepark MMO... well maybe Elder Scrolls Online because its more of a Co-Op Morrwind game than an MMO. 

And thus the cycle starts again...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 

That's not surprising. ANET isn't special. Business as usual in the MMO industry.

Its cool. I'll simply never buy another themepark MMO... well maybe Elder Scrolls Online because its more of a Co-Op Morrwind game than an MMO

Keep telling yourself that...

You make me like charity

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    What did Anet to you, that you cannot stop spreading lies and flaming this game?

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

There has already been threads all over on this site, and guild wars 2 forums.

There is opinions which are fair, thoughtful and respectful and there is bitching, there has been enough bitching on this site and the main forums about Anet and other companies, and yet the fools who whine about it never seem to get over it because they'll be back to their habbits of buying the same stuff doing it all over again.

If you are one of these people who do nothingthing but whine, give the MMOs a break and do something or play something different.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Some backlash is to be expected when GW2 blind fans were shoving the game on everyone's throat for months. The manifesto being a bunch of marketing bs is no surprise to anybody but the now deluded ex-blind followers.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

To pull a funcom would be creating something very creative and unique, but lack the perfection and money to do this 100%.

GW2 did neither.

Hodor!

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Nope, there's no gear threadmill in GW2 that is about to being added. Only people that are blind are believing this crap. People don't even understand what a REAL gear threadmill is. This is not WoW and will never be. I feel sorry for you for not able to understand simple things.

If only people like you would stop playing already, we would have a wonderful game.

? Of course there is a gear treadmill, it's unavoidable. You want the best gear (be it cosmetic or statwise) and the best gear is always going to be grinded out in some matter, even if the game puts a mask over the grind. Also, more gear will be added down the road creating said tredmill effect.

There is nothing wrong with it either.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Bloody hell OP are you in your period or something, it's still the same game it was before (It has always been a gear grind just an easier one to max out on gear)
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 

The lack of itemization was one of the many reasons AoC was considered a failure - it's a bad game design decision for an RPG, including an MMORPG, unless another method of ongoing character development was substituted.  Nothing was, and thus AoC failed.

ANET didn't learn from the AoC debacle, and did the same thing with GW2.  Just like Funcom, the idiots at ANET are quickly learning that bucking convention just for the sake of bucking convention has a price if you aren't replacing that convention with something else that's actually better.  They are now scrambling to "normalize" their game, because the concept failed, again.

Your point is essentially right but your example is way off. Gear treadmill was put back in pretty quickly in AoC and there was a massive grind introduced in the expansion.

AoC failed because of failing to do things ANet is pretty good at - customer support and being reactive.

'Failcom' as they became known due to the debacle of AoC was for other reasons - beleive me - my guild struggled to work through it all for years before finally throwing in the towel.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I dont know...I take a different stance here.

I stopped playing due to no real "progression" , a zerg fest and no endgame. This would encourage me to actually maybe log in again.

-You win some, you lose some.

There are a dozen different ways to add variety and progression to a game.

A gear treadmill is just about the worst, and laziest way to do that.

I would LOVE to see that list of 12....

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    You guys should really check out Rifts expansion it is amazing. Best mmo release all year .GW2/wow can't touch it.
  • Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40

Nope.... they just realised that all the "glitz"  surrounding certain features wasnt enough to cover up the complete lack of depth and general game, while their original concepts were great it didnt quite pan out, now that the majority of the population has hit 80 and are bored, barely log in or quit , also adding in the large ammount of people who quit long before 80 they are attempting to add some things to stop this from happening.

its simple, obvious damage control, id also sumrise that gem sales are no where near what they wanted/needed and nare now trying to attract a more varied playerbase than the " your playing wrong"  and " i look cool so im satisfied" people.

These changes are beyond proof that the population is no where near as big as some claim currently.

The game itself cant fail as its got no sub and they ade decent sales however it is suffering as of right now.

Before you jump in to defend look at it subjectively and think about it, if the game was doing so well and all the millions of players were happy with the current system they wouldnt change a thing...... anyway im sure a rabid fanboy or 2 will pop up :D

Personally GW2 is not my kinda game but even this minor change wouldnt have been enough to get me back or playing more.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Just like reality I just refuse to get on the treadmill and play my way. So I could care less.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Sigh.......The moment you are lvl 1 you're on the treadmill. Did you expect to just be lvl 80 forever running around the game forever doing events for skin swaps. Some of you guys are just bitching for the sake of bitching. Because if you go back in some of these two faced goobs post history like I did. They are the EXACT same people 1-2 weeks ago complaining the other way. No end game wah no way to customize wah no new gear wahhh.

Now you get it and its oh my god I have to do (SOMETHING I BEEN DOING THE WHOLE DAMN TIME). As i said in another post get over the inudustry was not saying the game didnt need this. It was saying it badly needed this. So if carebears want to cry go play a ps3/xbox game.Those games end and dont evolve mmorpg's evolve get over it.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i should thanks god alot that i didnot bought the game even with so much hype being created all over the game . 
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    If you really think Anet pulled a AoC you haven't played AoC, you just trolling and flamebaiting.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Madamefate
    You have alot of drama queens going around it must be something in the air. I'm female and not even acting nearly as emo as some of these original posters.

nope it is not in air .it is in the fragnance of flower .like female blood elf in world of warcraft burning crusade trailer. watch it again if you have forgotten it 

Originally posted by Torgrim
    If you really think Anet pulled a AoC you haven't played AoC, you just trolling and flamebaiting.

he said funcom not aoc 

• Originally posted by xpiher

Didn't you JUST post yesterday complaining about this? Eeesh, cry for attention much? We get it, you're not happy with the changes. Move on to another game if you don't like it.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    if you say so you wanted your end game you got it and you all still complaining no wonder anet doesnt take anyone seriously. I dont blame them if you dont adapt to a game you will be left behind. Doesnt matter if you like it or not. If you dont like the new update then dont play it.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

You should have expected the possibility before buying the game. It is your fault that you still took the risk and got burnt.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

You should have expected the possibility before buying the game. It is your fault that you still took the risk and got burnt.

I think there's probably a line in the EULA warning for tthe fact that Anet can change the game at some time.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Did he ask for a refund?

I thought he was just saying the game was not fun for him anyore due to inclusion of things that kill his fun in a game like this (read gear grind with the potential to be never ending).

A few people have said since launch that the game needed gear grind and endgame activities similar to other games.

I and others have said "Well this game isn't for you, go play any of the dozens of games following that model".

Now Anet is saying "Actually you guys that dislike gear grind can go look for another game".

Of course they don't want those players to leave, they are banking on them staying since they are the old fan base from GW1.

And you only need to read these forums to see some will say "Green is the best color ever" if Anet says it and bash everyone that says "actually red is the best color" but next day if Anet says "Red is the best color ever" they will start saying the same as if they always did.

Fanboys are always please, Haters are always unhappy.

Then there are people that think for their heads and are pleased or displeased acording with the circumstances.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Did he ask for a refund?

I thought he was just saying the game was not fun for him anyore due to inclusion of things that kill his fun in a game like this (read gear grind with the potential to be never ending).

A few people have said since launch that the game needed gear grind and endgame activities similar to other games.

I and others have said "Well this game isn't for you, go play any of the dozens of games following that model".

Now Anet is saying "Actually you guys that dislike gear grind can go look for another game".

Of course they don't want those players to leave, they are banking on them staying since they are the old fan base from GW1.

And you only need to read these forums to see some will say "Green is the best color ever" if Anet says it and bash everyone that says "actually red is the best color" but next day if Anet says "Red is the best color ever" they will start saying the same as if they always did.

Fanboys are always please, Haters are always unhappy.

Then there are people that think for their heads and are pleased or displeased acording with the circumstances.

He is whining about it and blaming Arenanet when a major part of the fault lies in him rather than on Arenanet. Of course, if he asked for a refund too, then it would be even worse from my viewpoint.

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66

Holy crap kiddos its a backpiece that you can get... full armor pieces aren't slated for release yet, they are still working on that. Where else can you even get a backpiece? I don't even play this game anymore and all this whining is driving me crazy.

You cry for more content, you got it. They're a business, and trying to get more business, that's the way the world works, get over yourselves.

This discussion has been closed.