Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Reasons to Check Out SWTOR F2P

Comments

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    It is not free.... not even close. If i am going to ever play this game i will just sub.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i would let EA take away every form of instanced pvp from my game if they allow me to do dungeons and raids as a free player. I dont care about instanced pvp so i will not be paying for that game if i cant have raids as a free player which i saw they locked us out of it unless we sub....

when i start feeling locked and blocked from progression as a free player ill uninstal it. 

i support companies through cash shop when they care about me as a player which is not the case here.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by mnwild1998
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX
    LOL!! SW:tor was pretty bad when I first tried it , and it's going F2P?? No thanks.    A game that goes from P2P to F2P is always a bad sign.  Either stick to F2P from the beginning or shut down the game and put back SW Galaxies back in service.

This is a pretty baseless statement.  Look at LOTRO for example they have yet to merge servers, they still have a very healthy active population, they continue to add expansions (just launched a new expansion this month and its very good).  So LOTRO started out p2p and now is healthy and active as f2p. 

Vov.

Look at Alganon ,it was also p2p when it came out,atleast i think it was,anyways look what happened to it?

Difference between LoTRO and SWTOR is,LoTRO never was a failure,actually in many sites it was considered as one of the good MMOs out there.

Let's internet

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    No update on Ilum or world PvP.  Yawn.   I'll probably try the F2P just for a few class stories I suppose, but I'm not going to pay for a game that has such terrible PvP.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

A companion to resemble HK-47?

This is where Star Wars just gets even more stupid. Seriously...

SWTOR: Every Smuggler must be ruggedly handsome, fly an ugly, yet fast ship, and have a wookie companion....     because Han Solo did that.

Even the redundant catch-phrases make me feel stupid, e.g., "I've got a bad feeling about this".

Han Solo was frozen in carbonite. Since that happened, let's plant a ton of random NPCs that are encased in carbonite...       how iconic!

I used to be a huge Star Wars fan. I know SWG had its problems, but at least I could somewhat be myself. In SWTOR, I'm nothing but a page turner. boring.

Honestly the worst MMO I've played.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Got the e-mail newsletter with this article at 2:42pm, which means that it is FTP right now. If it works out, they are going to have to expand the servers back out from what they are now to at least double. Servers were crowded yesterday before shutdown and crowded now. Cartel market place seems easy to navigate with everything broken into like 8 catagories such as cosmetic and consumable and such. Costs of everything seem kinda low to me from the costs of thins on other FTP games such as LotRO, but could be just me. Also if the lowered the sub price to what LotRO did with the yearly deal of $119.88, basically $9.99 a month, they might get a new influx of subs. To be quite frank, this has only one way to go if they keep adding content and more stuff to the market and that's up, since it basically already hit bottom.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Jimmy562
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Swanea

Lol.  The game is free for you and yet you are still going out of your way to hate on it.

You aren't paying for anything.  Nothing.  Are you missing lots of features? Of course. But you can still play the base game for free.

good lord.

I agree.

Nobody forces you guys to try this game. You should be glad that BioWare is giving away for free the best part of the Game - the story.

Reading these forums sometimes makes me really sick. There is so much hate here that no wonder there is such a misery on the Earth. If mere game can bring so much hate...  Good Lord!

Quoting Obi-wan Kenobi - You all should go home and rethink your life.. and I wish I could use here the Jedi mind trick...

Why don't you try leveling a character using only 2 action bars.  See how long you last before giving up.

I only use two action bars at 50. My two side bars only contain stuff like speeders, pets, buffs etc. You certainly don't NEED more than two but the extra ones do help.

Buffs and speeders are part of normal play.  See how long you can play the game without the side bars at 50 and get back to me.  Until then, you aren't making an informed decision.  My 50 Sith Assasin used the side bars a lot. 

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Whole lot of people getting this glitch.

'You have reached the maximum character limit. To create a new character you must delete one.'

Problem is, we don't have ANY characters to delete so we can't make one!

Go EA GO!

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by saxifr

The estimated 1.5 million who have dropped this piece of trash disagree with the author's opinion that this is a solid game

Lol, show me a game that gets published in 2012 and onward that doesn't gain and lose a million plus subs that starts on a subscription model, and I'll show you a game that doesn't do enough marketing of their subscription model up front.

First off, learn the game business, noob.  It's changed around you and you are still thinking it's about the fans. EA sold their boxes and moved on.  EA was very sithily happy with their revenue.  Now they will tempt a bunch of those accounts back with cartel coins.  SHRUG.  In that sense they believe it was a solid game.

As a fan, *I* believe it is a solid game, and so do more players than play many long lived MMOs on the market that have run for many years.  I am playing the game and will continue to pay sub.  It's good storytelling, I like the community, I like the crafting.  The end game sucks, and I don't care -- I'm not a raider -- you don't have to play my game, and I don't have to play yours.  

That's what the market is about.  Go find a game you like.  Go find several, and play several. Enjoy!

That you like Mountain Dew and I like ginger ale doesn't  mean that ginger ale is bad soda.  It means you have different taste (and probably different neurochemistry) than me.  It means that you are vulnerable to a whole different set of marketing messages, and you are probably younger, maler, and think you are far cooler than I am, amiright?

I really don't mind.  But I kind of mind that you think you're so right about it.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Tp all those who are posting comments about how crappy SWTOR is I just have one thing to say to you. If you think you know what makes a better MMO either make it or please stop posting comments on a game you dont play. I dont go to Guild Wars 2 and start trash taking it so please dont come here to do the same.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Everything just screams fail on this article......
  • RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

I had actually forgotten entirely about the game up until now. Since it's F2P now, I'm going to actually try it. Heck, I might even spend some $ on it if I like it enough. It's good to voice your opinion with your wallet, if you got anything in it.

I'll give it a try for the low price of free and some of my time. I don't play MMORPGs every day, infact some weeks I don't even play games. Limits that refresh weekly shouldn't be a problem for me at all. Inventory space isn't really an issue unless the game gives you a pack full of quest items. I can play solo and like to play solo most of the time anyways so chatting and other social functions aren't very necessary to me.

I'm really kind of excited to finally play the game.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• KrayusKrayus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I wonder how much they paid him to type out this rag...
  • KrayusKrayus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Tp all those who are posting comments about how crappy SWTOR is I just have one thing to say to you. If you think you know what makes a better MMO either make it or please stop posting comments on a game you dont play. I dont go to Guild Wars 2 and start trash taking it so please dont come here to do the same.

Check out STO, then you'll see what F2P actually is. A store that has nothing BUT vanity items and certain unlocks that are account wide and permanent, not unlocks that you have to KEEP buying and buying if you wanna do anything on one char.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    For no particular reason, just for my own curiosity, how much much do games review sites depends on revenue from advertising large title games to stay running?
  • PipofixPipofix Member Posts: 32

Good article, was a nice read. I completely agree that its a solid game and im certainly giving it another go. The devs have been working on a lot of stuff and I wanna check it all out. Personally I like the group finder, now im gonna have no trouble lvling my juggy. Have a nice day.

/pipo

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Im all for F2P and B2P model but I now come to a standard I have come to judge all F2P and B2P games vs GW2. SWToR is not free enough. Its still a 14.99 a month fee to see all content. GW2 is free to see all content. Now the kicker, what do I have more fun playing?

I was in beta for almost a year and player SWToR for 6 months after release. 2 months into GW2 and I am loving GW2 10 x more. QUESTION!!!! What reason have Bioware given me to come back? There is no risk free mythod to see if end game has been fixed. Im not sinking 14.99 to try it even for 1 more month. If SWToR took up GW2 B2P model I would come back!!!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Krayus

Check out STO, then you'll see what F2P actually is. A store that has nothing BUT vanity items and certain unlocks that are account wide and permanent, not unlocks that you have to KEEP buying and buying if you wanna do anything on one char.

akiira69: So unless I make my own car I can state what I think about a car? Or any other product for that matter? What ever!!!! SWToR F2P model does not reflect current standards. 

Krayus: You hit the nail on the head, STO, GW2, Forge, Neverwinter and I could list many more coming out over the next year thats offering a real F2P, B2P model. BioWare has failed to see again what its gone take to make a product that stands up to current trends. 

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Tried out SWTOR this morning. I don't think I will make it to level 3. I can't stand the way it looks, how the characters move and how my character talks like he's never seen anything ever. Thanks for the article though :)
  • ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Atleast I dont have to PAY for actionbars in GW2. amiright?

EA Free2Play games are ALL Pay2Win. Theres no 'fair-ness' to any of them. People who play for free get crap, and people who pay get all the advantages. This isnt a 'free to play' game, its Free-mium. Its a trial to try and entice people to pay for it in order to actually PLAY the game.

You want free to play? Look at LoL. Nothing but vanity items. Even PlanetSide2 cash shop is better than EAs poor attempt.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

"SWTOR is a Solid Game"

What game are you talking about Mike?

It's a solid game.  It just fails as an MMO.

Now, if SWTOR had been released as a single player game, I am pretty sure many of the complaints people have about it would disappear.

Yes and no, i agree it's a great game as a single player experience, but without the co-op options....no thanks.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    They ruined any chance this game had by making it an mmo. EA is full of greedy terrible people to boot.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Krayus

akiira69: So unless I make my own car I can state what I think about a car? Or any other product for that matter? What ever!!!! SWToR F2P model does not reflect current standards. 

Krayus: You hit the nail on the head, STO, GW2, Forge, Neverwinter and I could list many more coming out over the next year thats offering a real F2P, B2P model. BioWare has failed to see again what its gone take to make a product that stands up to current trends. 

@Nanfoodle wow a really crappy comparison. What i stated is very clear If you know what makes a game great then prove it by making it. Otherwise quit bashing a game you wont play. Also STO is worse than SWTOR if you really want to see a good F2P model ignore Guild Wars and STO and look at Lineage 2 and Aion. I am sick and tired of people bashing games they dont play currently or games they never will play.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• Warfronts: WOw the limited  warfronts to F2P players.. you can only do 3 a week or something. That is a very bad move. Warfronts are a big part of the game. Who the hell does nothen but pve in swtor? Most of the best gear is from pvp.  So now Warfronts will still have long que times. One of the points of f2p is to get more people into the game. Make it into a mmo... I stopped playin g the game because it took for ever to do dungeons and to que up for pvp....Very low population....
  • Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by NetBlaise
    Warfronts: WOw the limited  warfronts to F2P players.. you can only do 3 a week or something. That is a very bad move. Warfronts are a big part of the game. Who the hell does nothen but pve in swtor? Most of the best gear is from pvp.  So now Warfronts will still have long que times. One of the points of f2p is to get more people into the game. Make it into a mmo... I stopped playin g the game because it took for ever to do dungeons and to que up for pvp....Very low population....

most of the people I knew in game did no pvp at all in swtor after the first month or so and that still seems to be true now.  I don't think much of themepark mmo pvp in general but tors was the worst I have experienced in terms of class and faction imbalance, world pvp, ilum, valor farming.. its just garbage in all ways IMO.  So yah, theres a segment of the playerbase that won't be effected.

In terms of limits on free players in general, they can just get over it.  If they care enough that its an issue but not enough that its worth paying for they are dead weight anyway and the game, the entire genre, is better off without them.