Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A New Warhammer Fantasy MMORPG?

TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113

Since Mythic completely destroyed the Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play game, is someone else going to build a new one that adhere's more directly to the WFRP franchise -and not 3rd edition.  I am an absolutely humongous fan of Warhammer FRP -not Fantasy Battles, not 40k anything- ( http://www.wolvesau.net/wh ) and I just unloaded WAR from my machine last night.  The game is utterly horrid, poorly done -getting caught on corners when there are no corners graphically to be caught on, cool-downs are the worst, graphics are piss-poor with lots of white pixels, NONE of the elements from the tabletop RPG are used, in the least, the bad guys are rarely related to anything from the tabletop RPG, even just with names, let alone abilities, and the development of the world has nothing to do with anything Warhammer, except in the general overall names-.  Those are the few things I can think of off the top of my head.

How EA/Bioware/Mythic managed to keep this property, with how piss-poorly this has been done, I don't know, honestly.  In fact, the game felt very much like Lord of the Rings Online, with a few armor changes, as if the game were taken from Turbine and swapped about a bit.  Were it not for the way physics, attacks, and general storyline goes, I would say Turbine would have precedent for a lawsuit.

So, the question is... will a different company be able to obtain the electronic license for WFRP, preferably working from 2nd Edition, and then actually try to make a game for us that's worthy of the title?

Comments

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Honestly, this is something I would like to see as well.

I will pose this though, Mythic itself knows how to make a solid MMO. this is evident with DAoC. The problem is that when they got bought out by EA/BIOWARE it is pretty evident that these two have no idea how to make an MMO, just look at SWTOR.

Some of the concepts of WAR were good, I mean they took some of the better aspects from wow and other titles that made games more streamlined, but in the process they didn't stick to what they knew best which was make WAR solid around the RvR.

I think had mythic been allowed to do it thier way and actually made WAR more like DAoC and pit every faction against one another seperately instead of the good vs bad that they implemented, WAR would have been a successful title. All they needed to do what build a world were all factions faught against one another and every race got thier own city and capital then just mixed in the modernized questing and events like they had and it would have been MUCH better.

With Mythic being basically stripped away we will never see this come to fruition BUT it was possible. I think it would still be possible with the right team and EA backing off and letting them create according what gamers want instead of monetary greed.

If WAR just took a step back, went back into development, did a graphical update to bring it up to 2012 standards, then took the time to build each race thier cities, and create new warzones to provide a setting for a real Warhammer experiance I think WAR could be saved.

I just wouldn't hold my breath.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    There is a lot of potential in the whole warhammer lore, its only a question of time since someone takes the lead again to a "better?" future, maybe in 1 year maybe 2. But as everything... we will need to wait.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    Oh, I was hoping this question was posed in response to something tangible. I am disappoint.
  • Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    i doubt it. WAR was a failure, and the 40k MMO that was in development had the plug pulled before it even really got going. games workshop is really picky about it's IP. not only do they charge a lot for it, but the conditions they place on it give them a lot of control over the projects using the IP. so much so that they can revoke the rights to the IP all together. In all honestly i was suprised WAR got made/released.

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113

The standard editor on this web site needs real help.  When I go to quote someone, I should not also get a quote box, and I should be able to edit above and/or below the quote box.  Come on, guys, you don't need to have a difficult setup like this.

by neonaka

Honestly, this is something I would like to see as well.

Some of the concepts of WAR were good, I mean they took some of the better aspects from wow and other titles that made games more streamlined, but in the process they didn't stick to what they knew best which was make WAR solid around the RvR.

No, they're not good.  This is DAoC with Warhammer names, period.  And, it's not even remotely well-done, at that; the game is a wreck.

I think had mythic been allowed to do it thier way and actually made WAR more like DAoC and pit every faction against one another seperately instead of the good vs bad that they implemented, WAR would have been a successful title. All they needed to do what build a world were all factions faught against one another and every race got thier own city and capital then just mixed in the modernized questing and events like they had and it would have been MUCH better.

The separation of factions they have is actually correct, and they don't need to break it down further than that.  Warhammer is not about having every faction hate every other faction.  The good guys should be Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, and Humans -with Humans NOT having a primary role in the game, despite the size of the population in the world- against Chaos.  And, among Chaos, you have the Greenskins and Skaven, who greatly serve themselves, but also at the leisure of the Chaos gods, and then you have Archaon, who is the ONLY Chosen among all four Chaos gods, Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, and Khorne; otherwise, the minions of the Chaos gods, as powerful as they all are, fight amongst themselves all the time, hence the moniker Chaos.  They WILL work together at the appropriate directions of their gods, but that's as far as cooperation among them goes.

With Mythic being basically stripped away we will never see this come to fruition BUT it was possible. I think it would still be possible with the right team and EA backing off and letting them create according what gamers want instead of monetary greed.

Mythic is back to being its own animal, again, but they've recently fired someone who has decided to burn them because their business practices are horrible.  This train wreck of a game can't be blamed on anyone but the guys at Mythic.

If WAR just took a step back, went back into development, did a graphical update to bring it up to 2012 standards, then took the time to build each race thier cities, and create new warzones to provide a setting for a real Warhammer experiance I think WAR could be saved.[/quote] 

See, now you're looking to destroy the essence of what makes Warhammer... well, Warhammer.  You're talking about expanding on heretofore standard MMO principles rather than attempting to clean up the game and make it what it was supposed to be in the first place.  Mything screwed this pooch.  I'm just glad I didn't try this game out until week-before-last; I already knew, especially for the time-frame it was built in, that it was going to be a WoW clone, but I didn't realize exactly HOW bad it was going to be in that regard.

by Varthander

There is a lot of potential in the whole warhammer lore, its only a question of time since someone takes the lead again to a "better?" future, maybe in 1 year maybe 2. But as everything... we will need to wait.

I sure hope you're right, Varthander.  There are games starting to come out with serious and honest role-play elements (Secret World, Elder Scrolls Online, and Pathfinder {if Pathfinder is still in development}), so now would be the time to get this unique background, history, setting, and system into a new MMO that might actually also be an RPG.

by Twilight33

i doubt it. WAR was a failure, and the 40k MMO that was in development had the plug pulled before it even really got going. games workshop is really picky about it's IP. not only do they charge a lot for it, but the conditions they place on it give them a lot of control over the projects using the IP. so much so that they can revoke the rights to the IP all together. In all honestly i was suprised WAR got made/released.

What do you mean?  Was there another 40k in development before the one that just released 9 new images yesterday?  I'm extremely surprised WAR was made/released, as well; it has little to do with the Warhammer universe.

The fact they felt the need to come up with names for classes -note I said classes, not careers, and that will mean something to anyone who's played 1st or 2nd Edition WFRP- that do not exist even in Warhammer Fantasy Battles, and then the fact they have levels for the game instead of, again, careers, and how they have you build your levels... the game is simply not even remotely close to WFRP.

For those who don't know the Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play 2nd Edition tabletop game, you are really missing out on something fantastic.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I'd take a turn-based-, or even mixing the turns into realtime style (ala NWN) Warhammer Fantasy RPG any day over an MMORPG. I mean, all I want is the hardcore rules & gameplay, and coop so I can play with a friend or three.

A good storyline would also help of course.

Briefly put: Warhammer Online was quite an disappointment, except for the beautiful CGI trailers.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

To the guy who said this was DAOC with WAR names you are wrong and I won't get into much detail other than the biggest difference was the focus on true open world rvr with three factions. The three factions for PvP made things interesting and added to the game. It is one of the reasons I hope for good things with ESO. But as somebody who was an Alpha to Launch tester for both games, it is ignorant to even think WAR was that close to DAOC.

EDIT: Only thing I would like to add is that GW is really picky about who can use their IP. Here is a Trailer for Warhammer the MMO from Climax BEFORE GW backed out of the deal and sold it to Mythic which then turned into WAR.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

What do you mean?  Was there another 40k in development before the one that just released 9 new images yesterday?  I'm extremely surprised WAR was made/released, as well; it has little to do with the Warhammer universe.

The Warhammer 40k mmo is no longer an MMO. 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by Varking

With THQ in Default for $50 million, the Warhammer 40k MMO is no longer a game.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    A Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay MMO would be a great as long as they based off and in the spirit of WFRP 1st or 2nd Ed and no more WoW/DAoC clonage.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

better question for you all.

If you were to want a Warhammer MMO, how would you like to see it designed if you were the lead developer?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I wish that some company such as Blizzard would buy Warhammer AoR. Lets face it WoW and D3 are the best game on the market at the moment and Blizzard has done really well where the money and Subs are concerned I wouldn't mind them taking over. 

AoR would be a good game still if they fixed all the bugs, added more content and advertise their product to get people interested, but that would only happen if another comany would buy AoR from EA.

But I hear Warhammer 40k online will not be a MMO from what I hear/read, which is disapointing as I enjoyed the 40k series too.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

I'd be interested in seeing a WH:40K game that actually delivers on the scope of the Warhammer 40K universe in both literal size and lore size.

A faction for each race, starting world for each sub-race (like chapters, craftworlds, hives, etc).

Of course, designing this massive game world would take a huge amount of resources and manpower but if it was done right it would be a spectacle to behold.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Jorl

I wish that some company such as Blizzard would buy Warhammer AoR. Lets face it WoW and D3 are the best game on the market at the moment and Blizzard has done really well where the money and Subs are concerned I wouldn't mind them taking over. 

AoR would be a good game still if they fixed all the bugs, added more content and advertise their product to get people interested, but that would only happen if another comany would buy AoR from EA.

But I hear Warhammer 40k online will not be a MMO from what I hear/read, which is disapointing as I enjoyed the 40k series too.

Correction WoW & D3 are the most popular not the best. image

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Tithenon

Since Mythic completely destroyed the Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play game, is someone else going to build a new one that adhere's more directly to the WFRP franchise -and not 3rd edition.  I am an absolutely humongous fan of Warhammer FRP -not Fantasy Battles, not 40k anything- ( http://www.wolvesau.net/wh ) and I just unloaded WAR from my machine last night.  The game is utterly horrid, poorly done -getting caught on corners when there are no corners graphically to be caught on, cool-downs are the worst, graphics are piss-poor with lots of white pixels, NONE of the elements from the tabletop RPG are used, in the least, the bad guys are rarely related to anything from the tabletop RPG, even just with names, let alone abilities, and the development of the world has nothing to do with anything Warhammer, except in the general overall names-.  Those are the few things I can think of off the top of my head.

How EA/Bioware/Mythic managed to keep this property, with how piss-poorly this has been done, I don't know, honestly.  In fact, the game felt very much like Lord of the Rings Online, with a few armor changes, as if the game were taken from Turbine and swapped about a bit.  Were it not for the way physics, attacks, and general storyline goes, I would say Turbine would have precedent for a lawsuit.

So, the question is... will a different company be able to obtain the electronic license for WFRP, preferably working from 2nd Edition, and then actually try to make a game for us that's worthy of the title?

WAR is the same as lotro? idk what you were talking about there but WAR was a awesome game if you liked pvp and if you didnt i guess you wouldnt like it. never played anything warhammer before but WAR is one of my favorite mmo's, only reason why i left was because server died

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    despite its shortcomings you have to admit the first tier of WAR was fun as hell
  • Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    despite its shortcomings you have to admit the first tier of WAR was fun as hell

Keep sieges in T2 and T3 were extremely fun, in my opinion. It was just repetition once you got to T4 and then they removed fortresses.

Originally posted by VarkingTo the guy who said this was DAOC with WAR names you are wrong and I won't get into much detail other than the biggest difference was the focus on true open world rvr with three factions.

Okay, perhaps I misspoke on that, but the only other game I know of from Mythic is the one the developers said they took RvR from, which is DAoC, and I've seen enough games put out by same developers that were pretty much clones for WoW and their other games. That is where I derived my apparently mistaken comparison from.

[quote]EDIT: Only thing I would like to add is that GW is really picky about who can use their IP. Here is a Trailer for Warhammer the MMO from Climax BEFORE GW backed out of the deal and sold it to Mythic which then turned into WAR. That was the Warhammer game I wanted; it was most like the RPG, from what I was able to see, and this other crap, by Mythic, is just the worst tripe.[/b] 

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Okay, fella's, that's all good and fine and dandy... why did they post 9 new images day-before-yesterday? What did they do, post the images, and then declare bankruptcy? You guys are not making any sense to me; however, it's not like I care about 40k, anyway. I love WFRP, but not WFB or 40k; weird, huh?

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by VarkingTo the guy who said this was DAOC with WAR names you are wrong and I won't get into much detail other than the biggest difference was the focus on true open world rvr with three factions.

Okay, perhaps I misspoke on that, but the only other game I know of from Mythic is the one the developers said they took RvR from, which is DAoC, and I've seen enough games put out by same developers that were pretty much clones for WoW and their other games. That is where I derived my apparently mistaken comparison from.

[quote]EDIT: Only thing I would like to add is that GW is really picky about who can use their IP. Here is a Trailer for Warhammer the MMO from Climax BEFORE GW backed out of the deal and sold it to Mythic which then turned into WAR. That was the Warhammer game I wanted; it was most like the RPG, from what I was able to see, and this other crap, by Mythic, is just the worst tripe.[/b] 

Okay, fella's, that's all good and fine and dandy... why did they post 9 new images day-before-yesterday? What did they do, post the images, and then declare bankruptcy? You guys are not making any sense to me; however, it's not like I care about 40k, anyway. I love WFRP, but not WFB or 40k; weird, huh?

The THQ WH40K MMO was scrapped ages ago.

Please provide a link to these 9 new images.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think there's much chance of it happening.

Your more likely to get a mmo based on WHFB source - e.g. elric (and some if his other incarnations), runequest, farad & grey mouser
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Nibs

The THQ WH40K MMO was scrapped ages ago.

Please provide a link to these 9 new images.

I'm curious as heck as well. Sure it wasn't DoW3 (Assuming that's even being worked on still)?

That's really odd.  Now I can't find them.  All I can say is, it must have been an echo, except I remember looking at the images.  Now, I can't find them in email, can't find them in my history, and I can't find them by searching.

If 40k is dead, then 40k is dead.  And, to that I would add, I wish people would have their ducks in a row before attempting to get into building an MMORPG.  That way, there would be far less anxiety for titles of interest, and titles I would really love to play.

I wonder if anyone else received the referent email I did, and then had it disappear on them, as well?

Okay, so, getting away from 40k, which I have never liked, anyway, what would people like to see, specifically, if a new WFRP MMORPG were announced?

• Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by MMOExposed better question for you all. If you were to want a Warhammer MMO, how would you like to see it designed if you were the lead developer?

imo the best way to do a 40K MMO is to make it similar to Planetside 2 the style just feels right for 40k.

Not 40k, Twilight, the real Warhammer.

Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play.  Warhammer 40k is science fantasy, I'm talking the fantasy version only, which Warhammer Age of Reckoning is SUPPOSED to be based in.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Honestly, while I would love to see a 40k MMO. I believe the only way you do it is if it was a squad based MMORTS. If you wanted to have races other than marines. As a single player MMORPG. IT would need to be something  based off like Deathwatch, and be more PVE oriented, where the players could make a member of a deathwatch strike team and be from different Chapters working together to kill xenos scum. A 3rd/1st person shooter action hybrid.

I mean let's face it. If your going to let people play like a guardsan. The player would have to be a pet class with 10 guardsmen pets  to equal 1 marine player. Otherwise you end up destroying the feeling of the universe. HA look my guardsmen just bitchslapped your space wolf  in one on one PvP. At that moment I would uninstall the game.

As for WAR. I enjoyed the game for 40 levels. However I got to max level and was gimped due to being a 60PVE /40 PVP person. Which meant I would always be behind everyone else in both gear and reknown... They needed to add something equivalent to re known for PVE