Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Blizzard Sued over lax B.Net Security; Profiting on Authenticators

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,183Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Authenticators weren't created because of bad security on Blizzard's end.  They were created to protect gamers from themselves.

Well, had my account hacked on Wow, my fault, somehow had a keylogger.  Fixed that and put a very secure password on my account, then stopped playing the game.  3 months later got a email from Blizzard saying my account was banned.  Somehow a gold seller hacked the account again and paid for a sub.  

Not sure what happened there, had a very good password, 15 digits, not something in a dictionary, have not had any viruses since.  Certainly suspicious.

One thing that Blizzard does that is counter to good password security, they do not recognize capital letters.  

So you really have to wonder about the security on their end.  Sure customers should be responsible on their end, but I do not think Blizzard is doing their part.

• expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon
    I have seen many replies saying that blizzard are not tackling the "route cause", well the route cause is the user -- the only way to tackle that is if a user knowningly or otherwise gives his username and password to hackers then blizzrad need to take them (the user) outside and shoot them in the head thus tackleing the route cuase.
  • kturockkturock loxahatchee, FLPosts: 16Member

Blizzard has had terrible security. Battle net has been hacked since day one. They've combined back since there was on warcraft online.

My account was hacked over 1 year after I stopped playing. I received a series of email saying I was doing unlawful activities and was about to be suspended, ten it was suspended and then locked. I called them They said I must have given my info to someone. I told them that was impossible since I don't recall the info. The game was uninstalled for over a year; the date my subscription ran out. They suggested I get an authenticator. I told them that I wasn't interested since I haven't played the game for over 1 year and that I didn't want to play again.

When I saw the authenticator, I said, what a scam. Blizzard won't pay to get better security, so they want the players to do it for them.

I have a coworker who still plays. He has 3 accounts; 1 for him and 1 for each of his 2 kids. Between the 3 accounts they've been hacked several times. The always rotate their passwords and each have an authenticator. Blizzard's security sucks and always has. They're not willing to correct the problem. They're selling items to correct the problem and it doesn't work. They should be sued and lose.

I still get phishing emails on that account saying there's been a problem with my WoW, and Diablo 3 account[s].

I haven't played WoW for over 2 years, and never played D3. So where is the leak giving my email showing I had/have an account? On Blizzrd's end.

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kturock

Blizzard has had terrible security. Battle net has been hacked since day one. They've combined back since there was on warcraft online.

My account was hacked over 1 year after I stopped playing. I received a series of email saying I was doing unlawful activities and was about to be suspended, ten it was suspended and then locked. I called them They said I must have given my info to someone. I told them that was impossible since I don't recall the info. The game was uninstalled for over a year; the date my subscription ran out. They suggested I get an authenticator. I told them that I wasn't interested since I haven't played the game for over 1 year and that I didn't want to play again.

When I saw the authenticator, I said, what a scam. Blizzard won't pay to get better security, so they want the players to do it for them.

I have a coworker who still plays. He has 3 accounts; 1 for him and 1 for each of his 2 kids. Between the 3 accounts they've been hacked several times. The always rotate their passwords and each have an authenticator. Blizzard's security sucks and always has. They're not willing to correct the problem. They're selling items to correct the problem and it doesn't work. They should be sued and lose.

I still get phishing emails on that account saying there's been a problem with my WoW, and Diablo 3 account[s].

I haven't played WoW for over 2 years, and never played D3. So where is the leak giving my email showing I had/have an account? On Blizzrd's end.

you created a new account just for this.. wow.. just.. wow.. we should totally give you the benefit of the doubt for not feeding us BS..    really have to wonder at the agenda here, almost as if someone is trying to create enough of an uproar in the hope that blizzard will get wind of it and pay up out of court..  personally i'd sue the ambulance chaser..  god knows there are far too many of them, but it would be fun to make an example of at least one of them, shame hanging isnt an option image

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    If this guy wins, could be the worst thing to happen to online gaming. Whats to stop every MMO from getting sued now for players being hacked? This happens everywhere.

Originally posted by worldalpha
    Not sure it would be in Blizzards best interest to appear to be hacked, just so they could sell Authenticators.  Sounds a little too consipiracy theory to me.

Nice to seem some people still use a little logic. Thats like making cars that purposely break after a year so you can sell repairs. It doesn't help you in the long run.

Plus, imagine if someone came out and admitted to being hired by Blizzard to hack users? They would be ruined, completely.

• EdeusEdeus Stamford, CTPosts: 506Member

I just want to know why mmorpg.com couldnt stop promoting the latest mmo-whatever and actually do some reporting on this story.  It's interesting and obviously effects the industry...

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,940Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Edeus

I just want to know why mmorpg.com couldnt stop promoting the latest mmo-whatever and actually do some reporting on this story.  It's interesting and obviously effects the industry...

You and me both.

This site gave up any aspirations to "real journalism" long ago. All the articles here do is hype one thing or another.

And, if you notice, most of the "news items" are really thinly veiled advertisements behind a very small fig leaf of calling it a news story.

It is not fooling anyone.

Maybe they thought some lame law suit with no real merit wasnt actually news?

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Well, it is not just this story, there have been several others in the last week that are simply not covered here.

There is a big story brewing that Origins servers have been hacked and another loss of customer data, but not a word of that on here. (And, what do you know, EA is a paid advertiser here).

So there are plenty of "legitimate news stories" that are passed over in favor of "Newsvertisements".

Originally posted by Phry

you created a new account just for this.. wow.. just.. wow.. we should totally give you the benefit of the doubt for not feeding us BS..    really have to wonder at the agenda here, almost as if someone is trying to create enough of an uproar in the hope that blizzard will get wind of it and pay up out of court..  personally i'd sue the ambulance chaser..  god knows there are far too many of them, but it would be fun to make an example of at least one of them, shame hanging isnt an option image

No, I didn't set up a new account. i usually don't post on the forums. I hve better things to do than troll these forums, unlike you. Glad you read the content of my post and commented on it, rather than just trying to start a flame war.

I've been a member here a while. I usually only read the previews, reviews of the new games. I've long burned out on most MMO's. I started playng them since EQ 1st released. They're all the same and I'm not going to waste my $ on the same old thing. I only play a new game if I can try it for free. If not, then I'll stick to the free to play games; when I have time.

Originally posted by Burntvet

Well, it is not just this story, there have been several others in the last week that are simply not covered here.

There is a big story brewing that Origins servers have been hacked and another loss of customer data, but not a word of that on here. (And, what do you know, EA is a paid advertiser here).

So there are plenty of "legitimate news stories" that are passed over in favor of "Newsvertisements".

Do companies really pay directly to advertise on websites anymore? I thought most of that was set up through sites like google that provide relevant advertising. I think thats how you find ads for competitors games on a game's website.

• XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,602Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Fendel84M Originally posted by Edeus I just want to know why mmorpg.com couldnt stop promoting the latest mmo-whatever and actually do some reporting on this story.  It's interesting and obviously effects the industry...    

Why do a "legitimate news story" when you could do a "newsvertisement" for Guild Wars 2?
  • maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member

Having followed the authenticator angst out of the corner of my eye for several years and I have a hard time seeing this as anything but a sleezy lawsuit attempting to blackmail a profitable company into forking over money just to shut the lawyers up. 

If you want to hold a collective hatefest about Blizzard, I'd pick a better issue that doesn't make haters look like stooges.

The whole point is; Why do we need authenticators?

If Blizzard actually put the proper time, effort & money into security, they would hanve the problem.

Paying for something to correct Blizzard's mistakes is assinine. Then it doesn't even work.

They deserved to be sued. You rabid WoW fanboys need to get a life.

Blizzrd has been hacked the most since it has the worst security and the highest data base; incorporating info since Diablo and Warcraft rts.

They've been in the business as long as, if not longer, than other companies; yet, they can't correct the problem? It's more like they won't correct the problem.

When my deleted, closed, non-suscribed account was hacked, I was told by their CSR, it had to be my fault, since they don't have, and never had, any security breaches.

Do companies really pay directly to advertise on websites anymore? I thought most of that was set up through sites like google that provide relevant advertising. I think thats how you find ads for competitors games on a game's website.

That is not the case or entirely the case here.

Site staff have commented on several occasions that they sell ad space direct to several of the game makers.

Whether that covers all the flash ads, I don't know, as I am not seeing them.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common
    Originally posted by Waybackwhen
    What bothers me about this is that Blizzard always seems to be in the middle of some controversy. Sometimes it just makes you wonder what really goes on.

Only read the first page of the thread and there were too many facepalm moments to continue.

This isnt a controversy, this is someone wanting a free handout.  I would say a large portion of class action lawsuits are just that, people wanting free handouts.  

Blizzard is the target because they are the ones with the money.

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Waybackwhen
    What bothers me about this is that Blizzard always seems to be in the middle of some controversy. Sometimes it just makes you wonder what really goes on.

Only read the first page of the thread and there were too many facepalm moments to continue.

This isnt a controversy, this is someone wanting a free handout.  I would say a large portion of class action lawsuits are just that, people wanting free handouts.  

Blizzard is the target because they are the ones with the money.

Blizzard is the target because they are the one responsible for our safety and the security of our information. They have constantly been lax in both; even to the point taht it was a plot point joke on 'The Big Bang Theory' sit com.

WoW is the biggest cash cow and Blizardshould be protecting their customers; not charging them extra for protection. Thenthe extra protection isn't even working either.

Originally posted by maplestone

Having followed the authenticator angst out of the corner of my eye for several years and I have a hard time seeing this as anything but a sleezy lawsuit attempting to blackmail a profitable company into forking over money just to shut the lawyers up. 

If you want to hold a collective hatefest about Blizzard, I'd pick a better issue that doesn't make haters look like stooges.

So you think the authenticators are a good thing? Why should I/we/you have to pay for something, made and sold by the company, to play their game safely? I have to buy the game, and then each expansion and then a monthly fee.

Internet security is part of the promise of buying and using the product. [the game] They've failed innumberable times.

• ConsequenceConsequence Lake Worth, FLPosts: 358Member
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

The class action lawsuit over Sony's Playstation Network being hacked was thrown out of court.

The same is likely to happen here.

Except Sony didnt profit from the hackers. Blizz has profited through sales of their authenicator. 

Nobody is saying Blizz did it on purpose, as that is unlikely. But, they did not even begin to take the typical precautions most companies do. The best example if asking people to use thier email as their account name. Every game ever that did that has massive security problems. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member

Blizzard is the target because they are the one responsible for our safety and the security of our information. They have constantly been lax in both; even to the point taht it was a plot point joke on 'The Big Bang Theory' sit com.

WoW is the biggest cash cow and Blizardshould be protecting their customers; not charging them extra for protection. Thenthe extra protection isn't even working either.

Blizzard is not "responsible for our safety" any more than a bank is responsible for identify theft.  If you become a victim, they help you out, but that's it.  Literally every security breach in the history of WoW has been a result of someone being phised, which has nothing to do with Blizzard.

Blizzard hasn't been "hacked."  Accounts haven't been "hacked."  Players haven't been "hacked."  People are just gullible and have been the targets of social engineering.  Nothing more.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Consequence

The class action lawsuit over Sony's Playstation Network being hacked was thrown out of court.

Except Sony didnt profit from the hackers. Blizz has profited through sales of their authenicator. 

Nobody is saying Blizz did it on purpose, as that is unlikely. But, they did not even begin to take the typical precautions most companies do. The best example if asking people to use thier email as their account name. Every game ever that did that has massive security problems. 

Blizzard hasn't profitted from the sale of authenticators, according to their financial statements.  They sell them at cost, plus shipping.  They are also not required, which makes the point moot, because even if they did charge enough to make a profit, people still have to voluntarily purchase them.

You make me like charity

• ConsequenceConsequence Lake Worth, FLPosts: 358Member
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Consequence

Blizzard hasn't profitted from the sale of authenticators, according to their financial statements.  They sell them at cost, plus shipping.  They are also not required, which makes the point moot, because even if they did charge enough to make a profit, people still have to voluntarily purchase them.

Could you provide that information please? I would like to know how they have not profitted from an authenticator that is less than a pound and costs $9 to ship.

Link or it is nonsense. 

• -Zeno--Zeno- Zion, TNPosts: 1,298Member Common
    This has happened before in the past too.  Their servers can be brute forced.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Originally posted by maplestone

So you think the authenticators are a good thing? Why should I/we/you have to pay for something, made and sold by the company, to play their game safely? I have to buy the game, and then each expansion and then a monthly fee.

Internet security is part of the promise of buying and using the product. [the game] They've failed innumberable times.

I've been playing the game since late alpha, and have never used an authenticator.  I've also never been "hacked."

Why?  Because...

• I don't click email or website links just because they claim to be from Blizzard
    • I don't share my password with anyone
    • I've never bought gold
    • Every password for every online account I have is unique, meaning one getting comprimised doesn't cause collateral damage to the others

Every incident of a comprimised account is related to one of those reasons.  The problem is that most people won't admit something like buying gold, or falling victim to phising.  It's easier to just claim they were "hacked" than admit they made a poor or stupid decision.

You make me like charity