Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: F2P Option Launches Today

2

Comments

  • NewmoonNewmoon NeverNeverLand, KYPosts: 127Member Common
    Originally posted by Phayz
    http://www.swtor.com/free/features   -  lol

    Am I reading that right?? No dungeons, no pvp, no space, no equipment, no bank, no mounts at all??? Can't be in a guild at all????

     

    That's a great deal more restrictive than even the average free trial. There are few games that have f2p done right, but this is absolutely horrible. AION should be an example of how to do it right.

    image
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 , CAPosts: 2,446Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Newmoon
    Originally posted by Phayz
    http://www.swtor.com/free/features   -  lol

    Am I reading that right?? No dungeons, no pvp, no space, no equipment, no bank, no mounts at all??? Can't be in a guild at all????

     

    That's a great deal more restrictive than even the average free trial. There are few games that have f2p done right, but this is absolutely horrible. AION should be an example of how to do it right.

    Nope, if that is what you saw you read it wrong.

  • TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,752Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    I think it is around 27 Gig

          Bah thats alot for those of us with slow DSL.....All the voice acting and cutscenes had me concerned that it would be alot.

  • h3llryuh3llryu miramar, FLPosts: 19Member
    The only thing that would have made me come back were the "complimentary" cartel coins I would have gotten for purchasing (stupidly I might add) both the collectors edition and digital delux edition, BUT I will not be getting ANY "complimentary" cartel coins unless I sign up for a subscriptions....fuck that. I wanted to try out the Sith Pureblood Jedi Knight option which I would have played until level 50. Then the millions of credits I HAD are reduced to 350k, only 2 character slots, you can't hide your helmet unless you subscribe or use cartel coins (which you need to subscribe for if you have the "complimentary" cartel coins) you can't show your legacy name unless you buy it or subscribe. Thisgame has more restrictions than a 7 day trial on ANY game, this game is not FREE to play, it's more like a free to try. I doubt anyone can enjoy SWTOR with so much restrictions. I can do more and have more freedom with TERA's "play until level 28". Sad...sad...sad.

    We are all puppets in a fancy show, the trick is to seize the ropes that bind us, and become the puppeteer image

  • SylianSylian AnkaraPosts: 64Member

    It launches and fails again even in F2P form.

  • h3llryuh3llryu miramar, FLPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by Stuntie
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

    before you go and create an account, take some time and look at the F2P vs Prefered/Sub customers options. THIS IS NOT A F2P. no bank, no trading (2 slots lol), limited inventory, more grind to lvlup, you get your mounts 5-10lvls later, you CANT HAVE MORE THAN 200k! Which means, you cant buy the high lvl mounts. You cant equip epic items and so on.

    To sum it up: you will be able to play the story mode, but only of the available races and classes, not all are free.

    fuck those guys srsly

    And you expect what for free? The entire game? All the mounts and money you can have? no restrictions what so ever?

    They need to get subs and cash shop money to survive just like Lotro AOC and EQ2 etc. But all I hear is people slamming games with subs and then slamming f2p for having parts you need to pay for.

    It is a business not a charity for freeloading gamers.

     

    Have you ever played a F2P game? I played AOC for a very long time and I haven't seen these types of restrictions. I don't mind paying my fair share, but my hand is basically tied behind my back to pay if I want to enjoy this game even remotely.

    We are all puppets in a fancy show, the trick is to seize the ropes that bind us, and become the puppeteer image

  • lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member
    Originally posted by black_isle
    1 whole day of paid time is gone thanks to maintenance done during the effin daytime LOL.

    it is not such a big thing or a big deal .if you play mmo you expect it . 

    image

  • lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member
    Originally posted by Lowfer69

    I personally don't have any problem with any of the restrictions except for the actionbars. I can't even have half my abilities on on my higher level characters. Restricting UI usage is very extreme and no I don't expect everything for free. Oh and the crew skill limitation is dumb too. You have to have 2 gathering skills in order to craft. So they are saying you can't craft unless you give us money, plain and simple.

     

     

    dont tell me you are that much poor not to afford a few cartel points for opening up action bars ? or are you ?

    image

  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ columbus, OHPosts: 539Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by Lowfer69

    I personally don't have any problem with any of the restrictions except for the actionbars. I can't even have half my abilities on on my higher level characters. Restricting UI usage is very extreme and no I don't expect everything for free. Oh and the crew skill limitation is dumb too. You have to have 2 gathering skills in order to craft. So they are saying you can't craft unless you give us money, plain and simple.

     

     

    dont tell me you are that much poor not to afford a few cartel points for opening up action bars ? or are you ?

    I don't think it has much to do with the price of it. Even if it was only a cent. It's more of the principle of the issue, which, from what I can tell is how silly it is to limit something like action bars. 

  • pupurunpupurun spartaPosts: 537Member Uncommon

    I think they should free up the UI limitations , at least for the PREFERED STATUS players...

    It's ridicullus to give money to them and limit your gameplay in such way..

    It's like going to a restaurant that offers free food but charges the napkins

  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,719Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by pupurun

    I think they should free up the UI limitations , at least for the PREFERED STATUS players...

    It's ridicullus to give money to them and limit your gameplay in such way..

    It's like going to a restaurant that offers free food but charges the napkins

    Nope, you can eat pretty much without a napkin, it's more like they charging you for the plate :)

    'here's your free food' and drop it on the table. Oh, and they charge you for a clean table too, so your meat will be a bit dusty but hey, it's free :)

  • MothanosMothanos ArnhemPosts: 1,860Member Uncommon

    Remember there are much better mmo's out there then this piece of crap from EA.
    Let them bleed slowly to a painfull death with this mmo.

    So say we all.

  • LonzoLonzo GoettingenPosts: 235Member Uncommon
    The nail for the coffin.... Good work EA! :-(

    image
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,671Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Newmoon
    Originally posted by Phayz
    http://www.swtor.com/free/features   -  lol

    Am I reading that right?? No dungeons, no pvp, no space, no equipment, no bank, no mounts at all??? Can't be in a guild at all????

    That's a great deal more restrictive than even the average free trial. There are few games that have f2p done right, but this is absolutely horrible. AION should be an example of how to do it right.

    Hover over each of those. It explains what the restrictions are. Some of the restrictions, like the reduced AI are just really odd.  Actually the whole plan seems bizarre.

    Make any purchase of $4.99 to upgrade to Preferred Status!

    BUY NOW

    That's kind of clever for frontloading revenue. Display the tiers so that - at first glance - it looks like you don't even get inventory or character creation at the bottom tier. It coaxes people to spend $5 before they even need to or know if there's even anything they want to buy, however it's a short term solution unless they are going to continue to ride those people with mail or offers to spend the credits and get them invested in using the cash shop.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • h3llryuh3llryu miramar, FLPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by Stuntie
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

    before you go and create an account, take some time and look at the F2P vs Prefered/Sub customers options. THIS IS NOT A F2P. no bank, no trading (2 slots lol), limited inventory, more grind to lvlup, you get your mounts 5-10lvls later, you CANT HAVE MORE THAN 200k! Which means, you cant buy the high lvl mounts. You cant equip epic items and so on.

    To sum it up: you will be able to play the story mode, but only of the available races and classes, not all are free.

    fuck those guys srsly

    And you expect what for free? The entire game? All the mounts and money you can have? no restrictions what so ever?

    They need to get subs and cash shop money to survive just like Lotro AOC and EQ2 etc. But all I hear is people slamming games with subs and then slamming f2p for having parts you need to pay for.

    It is a business not a charity for freeloading gamers.

     

    Have you ever played a F2P game? I played AOC for a very long time and I haven't seen these types of restrictions. I don't mind paying my fair share, but my hand is basically tied behind my back to pay if I want to enjoy this game even remotely.

    We are all puppets in a fancy show, the trick is to seize the ropes that bind us, and become the puppeteer image

  • CoolitCoolit FalkirkPosts: 468Member Uncommon

    I'm thinking this could be the worst f2p conversion in the industry which wouldn’t surprise me all things considered. Having core features like action bars sliced up for sale is beyond belief and shows just how far EA/Bioware is willing to go to make a buck. Going f2p does not change the fundamental flaws in the game which by all accounts still haven’t been addressed a year on. Even if they paid me I wouldn’t go back to SWTOR especially after seeing the restrictions imposed.

  • moguy2moguy2 Saint Peters, MOPosts: 337Member

    What is even better is 10000000 people didnt know about the restrictions until today! Because thats when they announced the restrictions. Please notice my sarcasm you naive folks who suddenly realized,what they were telling you in dang near every post, just became real.

    But playing the " man this sucks " card knowing all this was going to be implemented in the F2P model, is redundant.

    So not only do you have limited everything but the game still sucks! What a way to end the week huh?!?!

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by moguy2

    What is even better is 10000000 people didnt know about the restrictions until today! Because thats when they announced the restrictions. Please notice my sarcasm you naive folks who suddenly realized,what they were telling you in dang near every post, just became real.

    But playing the " man this sucks " card knowing all this was going to be implemented in the F2P model, is redundant.

    So not only do you have limited everything but the game still sucks! What a way to end the week huh?!?!

    restrictions were posted long ago in their faqs on their own site.....

    not to mention ppl were posting about them on this site.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • stefanakisgrstefanakisgr SerresPosts: 38Member
    UI/Action bar restriction ? WTF . Uninstall / delete folder . /goodbye forever ......
  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by Alkore
    I have a great idea lets add a patch and take 12hrs to do it and Lets do it during the day so we kill the gamers instead of at night when everyone is asleep and the game is empty....

    OMG, what will you do for a day?

    image

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    I am resubbing today, looking forward to it.

    image

  • RocknissRockniss Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,034Member
    Well I was able to log in last night, I got to running around Coruscant and all it did was remind me that I'm not really into it. I last 5 minutes, then shutdown my pc and continued zombie slaying in black ops 2, story mode black ops 2 is again very controversial but very engaging and multiplayer has been a blast.
  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,295Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Coolit

    I'm thinking this could be the worst f2p conversion in the industry which wouldn’t surprise me all things considered. Having core features like action bars sliced up for sale is beyond belief and shows just how far EA/Bioware is willing to go to make a buck. Going f2p does not change the fundamental flaws in the game which by all accounts still haven’t been addressed a year on. Even if they paid me I wouldn’t go back to SWTOR especially after seeing the restrictions imposed.

    the restrictions are fairly comprehensive, and the sheer volume of unlocks, make it doubtful anyone could reasonably justify that kind of expenditure for so little gain, but what does stand out most is what you can buy, because the equipment thats available through the cartel market is exceptional, there are armour sets there that will give a huge advantage to anyone willing to buy them,  this is something that also affects subscribers, as they would also have to purchase these things if they want to compete in PVP. SW;TOR didnt just switch to a microtransaction model, they also introduced pay to win..  as a financial model, it seems to me that its an extremely short sighted one.image

  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Turney, MOPosts: 86Member

    Been playing as a subscriber and have seen the unlocks and they are'nt much different from a lot of FTP games out there to access armor, bank, and storage slots' etc.. And as far as the gear they sell the only differance between it and the stuff earned or bought in game, is cosmetic as all the gear in game can be changed by swapping out the individual mods to it. You can buy lvl 11 gear and put lvl 50 mods in it if you want and it makes it lvl 50 gear. That's so people can use the gear they like the best instead of being locked into a certain look they might not like.

    Have' nt logged in in about 3 months and started playing again about a week ago and all my Alliance char were on one server, making it 15/12 slots. Got rid of a bunch and started new with all but 4 higher level char. Making new armor for all that I can like my new trooper that I just made 4 new pieces for and trying to make all the mods instead of buying. Still trying to decide how to spend my cartel coins though as I have 7 char so far, but will be getting more each month :)

  • royerkrissroyerkriss OxfordPosts: 2Member
    Originally posted by stefanakisgr
    UI/Action bar restriction ? WTF . Uninstall / delete folder . /goodbye forever ......

    I pretty much did the same. I knew about this particular restriction but still wanted to give it a go. After 5 minutes, I gave up, there are just too many things to squeeze on two hotbars when you are lvl50.

     

    I was also pretty disappointed to see that, despite the fact I subscribed for 6 months, I didn't seem to get any of the basic restrictions lifted.

     

    Game uninstalled.

2
Sign In or Register to comment.