Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video card dead or power supply dying?

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
Everything was working fine then system froze and rebooted. I couldn't get back into windows except thru safe mode. Used drive cleaner for nvidia drivers got back into regular windows 7 as soon as I install any drivers I can't get back into windows cause it just reboots saying monitor going into sleep mode and just loops over and over.  Uninstalling it works. Also PhysX keeps failing. It's a Evga gtx 470

Comments

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

sounds like the card may be on its last legs. I dont know if you watch the temp or GPU but with past cards if they over heat its pretty much over. If it was a power supply issue your pc would post then reboot then work or you would not be able to turn it on at all and lastly if the power is going the system itself would fail. From what I have read and had to deal with over the years.  Also try to get the drivers (just drivers nothing else) yourself without a 3rd party program.

Your software wouldnt be throwing error's for a dead power supply you would simply get black screened or nothing at all. The bois in just about all computers has fail safes for the hardware's power starting with the video cards. The bios will start shutting non-required components starting with video. As for the errors you are getting could be due to card not getting the power it needs. Before you go and buy anything as a last effort try reformatting. I know thats harsh but sometimes partitions go bad and you lose windows data required to run. Depends on the habbits of you as the user if the reformat option will fix this or not.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

What power supply do you have, anyway?

The reference GeForce GTX 470 came with a cooler that couldn't handle the card, so it wouldn't be surprising if constantly running too hot eventually killed it.

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Originally posted by Quizzical

What power supply do you have, anyway?

The reference GeForce GTX 470 came with a cooler that couldn't handle the card, so it wouldn't be surprising if constantly running too hot eventually killed it.

Antec tru power trio 700 i believe. Card is definately dead..Dont work in other computer, and a spare evga card i have works fine in current system. Called EVGA my serial number on my card according to EVGA is lifetime warranty LOL!! I was kinda bumed cause I was hopeing to use that as an excuse for my wife for a new card. Sigh.....

Is an upgrade in order?

Antec P182 gunmetal case

Antec true power trio 700 watt PSU

Evga geforce 470 GTX 1280mb video card

Gskill 4 gig  ddr2 1066 (8500) memory

AMD phenom II X4 945 deneb 3.0 Processor

Asus M4N82 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2 Nvidia  980 sli Motherboard.

Razer Barracuda AC-1 gaming audio card

Western digital WDC WD64001aals-00l3b2 (640 gig Hard drive)

Maxtor Hard drive 160 gig as a backup (secondary)

Windows 7 64 bit

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Is there some reason why performance of the system wasn't good enough before the card died?

The GeForce GTX 470 is long since discontinued, so they won't have another one to replace yours unless they managed to repair one that someone else sent in.  See what they'll replace your card with.