Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANET pulled a Funcom

xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Comments

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 

That's not surprising. ANET isn't special. Business as usual in the MMO industry.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

That's not surprising. ANET isn't special. Business as usual in the MMO industry.

Its cool. I'll simply never buy another themepark MMO... well maybe Elder Scrolls Online because its more of a Co-Op Morrwind game than an MMO. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The lack of itemization was one of the many reasons AoC was considered a failure - it's a bad game design decision for an RPG, including an MMORPG, unless another method of ongoing character development was substituted.  Nothing was, and thus AoC failed.

ANET didn't learn from the AoC debacle, and did the same thing with GW2.  Just like Funcom, the idiots at ANET are quickly learning that bucking convention just for the sake of bucking convention has a price if you aren't replacing that convention with something else that's actually better.  They are now scrambling to "normalize" their game, because the concept failed, again.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I know! I wish we could go back to the  console games in the 80's.  I just loved no development of anything.  heck I got a good two months out of a game once.

Hmm if they pulled a funcom that means they got better with each release.

Originally posted by Rohn

The lack of itemization was one of the many reasons AoC was considered a failure - it's a bad game design decision for an RPG, including an MMORPG, unless another method of ongoing character development was substituted.  Nothing was, and thus AoC failed.

ANET didn't learn from the AoC debacle, and did the same thing with GW2.  Just like Funcom, the idiots at ANET are quickly learning that bucking convention just for the sake of bucking convention has a price if you aren't replacing that convention with something else that's actually better.  They are now scrambling to "normalize" their game, because the concept failed, again.

AoC failed becaus it was a bugg ridden mess that was nothing like it was advertised. GW2 was actually SUCCEEDING as intended. A stable population was reached after 2 months (when all the grinder burned through content) and events and content patches brought people back to check them out and spend money. 

BY I was just banned on the forums for saying my feedback = uninstall. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Nope, there's no gear threadmill in GW2 that is about to being added. Only people that are blind are believing this crap. People don't even understand what a REAL gear threadmill is. This is not WoW and will never be. I feel sorry for you for not able to understand simple things.

If only people like you would stop playing already, we would have a wonderful game.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Can you WoW kids honestly not understand that its possible to have progression without putting in a gear treadmill?

How long do you think it'll be before they raise the level cap?

And I love how the part of their game with the most potential, their RvR, has gotten NO attention.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Can you WoW kids honestly not understand that its possible to have progression without putting in a gear treadmill?

And I love how the part of their game with the most potential, their RvR, has gotten NO attention.

I understand it, and this is exactly what is happening with GW2, but most people are too dumb to understand it. There is progression without a gear threadmil, Anet is doing it right now.

Originally posted by SirFubar

Nope, there's no gear threadmill in GW2 that is about to being added. Only people that are blind are believing this crap. People don't even understand what a REAL gear threadmill is. This is not WoW and will never be. I feel sorry for you for not able to understand simple things.

If only people like you would stop playing already, we would have a wonderful game.

Apparently you didn't see the post saying "We won't say there won't be gear with better stats in future updates" Or looked at the new Agony upgrades that include STAT upgrades, Or the fact that the only place to get those items is IN THE NEW DUNGEON and its tired to RNG! 

They just foriced WvW players to grind a dungeon! They just invalidated everyone's multiple armor sets!  Nothing is stoping them from doing it again in the future.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Apparently you didn't see the post saying

"We won't say there won't be gear with better stats in future updates"

Or look at the new Agony upgrades that include STAT upgrades

Or the fact that the only place to get those items is IN THE NEW DUNGEON and its tired to RNG!

ROFLMAO! Like I said in another post, you should learn to read really. The stats are minor upgrades, nothing game breaking where you would absolutely want the best gear to be able to do any WvW. A max of maybe +15 in stats outta 1000 is nothing...
     And no the dungeons won't be the only place to get those items at all. Stop spreading false informations.

source : https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside

I understand it, and this is exactly what is happening with GW2, but most people are too dumb to understand it. There is progression without a gear threadmil, Anet is doing it right now.

No, that's what they had before. Now, they're adding new gear that is more powerful, which is, a gear treadmill.

Apparently you didn't see the post saying

"We won't say there won't be gear with better stats in future updates"

Or look at the new Agony upgrades that include STAT upgrades

Or the fact that the only place to get those items is IN THE NEW DUNGEON and its tired to RNG!

ROFLMAO! Like I said in another post, you should learn to read really. The stats are minor upgrades, nothing game breaking where you would absolutely want the best gear to be able to do any WvW. A max of maybe +15 in stats outta 1000 is nothing...
     And no the dungeons won't be the only place to get those items at all. Stop spreading false informations.

1) They aren't minor upgrades. Right now, Ascended gear is 10%-20% better stat wise, with stats combinations that don't exist anywhere else in game

2) They said they'll expand on this system and add more power. Right now, people only see fine quality. What kind of stat boost will master, rare, and exotic quality bring (talking about the Agony upgrades)

3) The dungeons are the only place to get them RIGHT NOW. They are funneling people into the content. Nothing will stop them from doing that again in the future with the exucuse "We didn't have the time to release everything"

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

No, that's what they had before. Now, they're adding new gear that is more powerful, which is, a gear treadmill.

A gear threadmil is what WoW and other MMO have... Having "more powerful" gear in GW2 is irrelevant since the difference in stats is next to nothing. But I guess you can't understand this. All you can see is the +5 to certain stats and call it right away a gear threadmil without even understanding how the stats works.

Also, its not because they added 2 items in a new "tier" of gear that you can call it a gear threadmill right away.

A gear threadmil is what WoW and other MMO have... Having "more powerful" gear in GW2 is irrelevant since the difference in stats is next to nothing. But I guess you can't understand this. All you can see is the +5 to certain stats and call it right away a gear threadmil without even understanding how the stats works.

Also, its not because they added 2 items in a new "tier" of gear that you can call it a gear threadmill right away.

Full set of ascended gear + masterwork and above runes will be more than 10% increase in character power. Not to mention that Ascended gear is the only way to get certain stat combination now. And what happens when everyone is decked out in ascended gear. Will ANET add in blessed gear the same way? Will they add more and more powerful "runes." Thats the issue here and thats gear treadmill. I'd rather they added more skills or something. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Full set of ascended gear + masterwork and above runes will be more than 10% increase in character power. Not to mention that Ascended gear is the only way to get certain stat combination now. And what happens when everyone is decked out in ascended gear. Will ANET add in blessed gear the same way? Will they add more and more powerful "runes." Thats the issue here and thats gear treadmill. I'd rather they added more skills or something. 

All things point to, yes.

Well I'm done arguing with you guys. Believe whatever you think, I know I have full confidence in Anet because they know how to make things great. If you wanna leave, then go on, no one will stop you.[mod edit]
  • DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    A boring mmo is what you will have if they never add things to the game or put in fresh content or change things to keep up with what players want.  I  have experienced everything GW2 has except my legendary,adding new stuff  wether its gear,dungeons,or wutever is cool with me, more stuff to do again. Haters just be hating.
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I dont know...I take a different stance here.

I stopped playing due to no real "progression" , a zerg fest and no endgame. This would encourage me to actually maybe log in again.

-You win some, you lose some.

Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I stopped playing due to no real "progression" , a zerg fest and no endgame. This would encourage me to actually maybe log in again.

There are a dozen different ways to add variety and progression to a game.

A gear treadmill is just about the worst, and laziest way to do that.

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

BY I was just banned on the forums for saying my feedback = uninstall. 

So you uninstalled cuz you were banned on the forums, then why would you care about whats going on in the game?????

[mod edit]

So what if they add gear with stats,you dont have to get it . You keep  your cute lil orange exotic gear and move along, they arent forcing you to get the new gear. Keep you orange stuff and do the same old dungeons  and your good. They didnt change your game your changing it. [mod edit]

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

There are a dozen different ways to add variety and progression to a game.

A gear treadmill is just about the worst, and laziest way to do that.

Buddy, I agree- But at least its SOMETHING. =P

I would have prefered something diffent myself but I will take what I can get. GW2 was okay as a secondary game but one I capped out it became a dust collector. This is at least a reason to log in.

-I still get your point but...

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Skymourne

you've been a busy little bee hating on this game the past few days havent you?

He's just extremely disappointed that there's a more powerful item than Exotic.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Much ado about nothing....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

I groaned at the "Agony" mechanic....did they not learn from LOTRO's radience fiasco? Good grief we fought long and hard to get rid of that! Oh well I don't have to do those dungeons and I won't.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Apparently you didn't see the post saying "We won't say there won't be gear with better stats in future updates" Or looked at the new Agony upgrades that include STAT upgrades, Or the fact that the only place to get those items is IN THE NEW DUNGEON and its tired to RNG! 

They just foriced WvW players to grind a dungeon! They just invalidated everyone's multiple armor sets!  Nothing is stoping them from doing it again in the future.

Apparently you didn't read the devs saying that ascended gear will soon be obtainable in other parts of the game, especially including WvW which is due an overall rewards overhaul. Take it easy. They cant do everything at once.

This discussion has been closed.