Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet answers to all this forum whining ;) it's on official GW2 forums

Comments

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Skymourne

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

They've answered your question on Reddit.  While Ascended may be the final gear set, they will have different kinds of infusions in the future to grind and gate content with.

The manifesto has officially been abandoned.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by korent1991

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

You'll find out answers to those questions when event starts... Ain't that a bitch, eh? :D

How is it NOT ruining the event and this new "expansion" if you know all the answers before the actual content gets out? :D

Well, my biggest concern was the availability of this ascended gear being tied to only 1 dungeon.... Glad that's cleared up. :D

No I won't. As I have made clear to other in this thread, I won't know the answer until ANET either

1) Says they will or won't add more tiers of gear/upgrades that leads to gating of content or gear treadmill by adding more gear with better stats 

or

2) ANET launches a patch with progression with or without the gear treadmill or gated content

Or

3) Until you just play the damn thing.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    It's all being explained away and rationalized now. But just imagine the sheet storm that would have stirred up if someone had posted a thread saying "ANET is going to cave and start introducing gear with increased stats" even as recently as a few weeks ago.

What's being explained away and rationalized?  If Anet does it just once, why is it a problem?  If they do it repeatedly, then yes, it's a problem.

And...like there's not a "sheet storm" now?  Isn't that what's being talked about here?

Besides...I really wonder what the big deal is.  Infusions won't make anyone more powerful in PvP or WvW.  And it only makes you better able to survive in a specific dungeon array.  Pretty much akin to infused armor in GW1.  It was infused only to be able to fight on specific enemy.  No one seemed to have a problem with that.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Wait and see means I quit because I'm not going to outfit all my alts with exotics and ascended gear just to see it go poof not the best anymore. 

Did those character start at level one with exotics/ascended gear or didn't you replace gear they had?  I'd bet you replaced good gear with better gear.   Isn't that what they are still going to do?  Allow you to replace the current gear with better gear?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by colddog04

Yeah, I agree with you after looking at that screen that the database has it wrong. My mistake. I'm actually happy that there is no difference.

And personally? I don't like that they are adding ascended items. 

I don't really care yet....of course, I just hit 80 and don't have even exotics yet anyway.

Either way, Legendaries are as far away from me as they ever were.  Now there's another armor option between exotics and legendaries.  Not really concerning to me at this point.  It will concern me if this is the beginning of a pattern.  Though, one instance doesn't make a pattern.

They just said on reddit that this is, in fact, the beginning of a pattern. From the developer Q&A on reddit just a while ago:

" Freyar (Who’s… 16 minutes ago
    I’m concerned over ascended gear. Is Guild Wars 2 supposed to be moving towards traditional MMO progression? One of the reasons I stepped away from WoW and others was so that I could enjoy an MMO at my own pace without the risk of being excluded by something like Gear Score.
    IsaiahCartwright @Freyar (Who’s best… 2 minutes ago

I can see your concern, our goal with ascended items is to fill the gap in our progression between exotics and legendary as well as give us a new tool with the infusion slot to give more depth of rewards by offering new and interesting infusions that are directed at different game types.

Maarius 16 minutes ago
    how important for you is vertical progression in GW2?

IsaiahCartwright @Maarius 36 seconds ago
    All progression is important to us, we want to make sure our rewards and progression systems hit a spectrum of players and makes everyone feel excited to play the game.

Yes, they are interested in appealing to vertical progression gear-grinders.  Yes, the Ascended armor infusion slot is specifically made to appeal to them. Since vertical progression players need ongoing verttical progression, it is obvious that this is going to be ongoing.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Meleagar
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by colddog04

Yeah, I agree with you after looking at that screen that the database has it wrong. My mistake. I'm actually happy that there is no difference.

And personally? I don't like that they are adding ascended items. 

I don't really care yet....of course, I just hit 80 and don't have even exotics yet anyway.

Either way, Legendaries are as far away from me as they ever were.  Now there's another armor option between exotics and legendaries.  Not really concerning to me at this point.  It will concern me if this is the beginning of a pattern.  Though, one instance doesn't make a pattern.

They just said on reddit that this is, in fact, the beginning of a pattern. From the developer Q&A on reddit just a while ago:

" Freyar (Who’s… 16 minutes ago
    I’m concerned over ascended gear. Is Guild Wars 2 supposed to be moving towards traditional MMO progression? One of the reasons I stepped away from WoW and others was so that I could enjoy an MMO at my own pace without the risk of being excluded by something like Gear Score.
    IsaiahCartwright @Freyar (Who’s best… 2 minutes ago

I can see your concern, our goal with ascended items is to fill the gap in our progression between exotics and legendary as well as give us a new tool with the infusion slot to give more depth of rewards by offering new and interesting infusions that are directed at different game types.

Maarius 16 minutes ago
    how important for you is vertical progression in GW2?

IsaiahCartwright @Maarius 36 seconds ago
    All progression is important to us, we want to make sure our rewards and progression systems hit a spectrum of players and makes everyone feel excited to play the game.

Yes, they are interested in appealing to vertical progression gear-grinders.  Yes, the Ascended armor infusion slot is specifically made to appeal to them. Since vertical progression players need ongoing verttical progression, it is obvious that this is going to be ongoing.

Right....which will be solved by infusions to armor for certain dungeons.  Does anyone realize that Legendaries will also be able to be infused?  So, the vertical progression won't be for armor sets that make you more powerful, except in certain circumstances.

None of those infusions seem like they'll affect anyone in PvP or WvW, though.  And, if there are choices about what to do in PvE, I don't see the problem.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

The only thing i can see is that maybe people's reading comprehension needs some work, because the response clearly indicated that the ascended gear is slotted between exotic and legendary:

"Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two."

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by Anaba77
    Sorry but it's an answer, deal with it.

Its political spin. You should know the difference. The reason its spin is because it leaves them room to change their minds latter and you don't know, for sure, if they'll add more tiers of gear/upgrades later or not. 

Hey, clearly you missed what was said, or you are refusing to accept it:

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

IDK, sounds like they arent adding a grind.  L2 read FTW.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by xposeidon
    Originally posted by Dietengu

Hey guys I dont have time to read those monster threads and i dont want to...so i have a guestion..

The new gear is needed only for the new dungeon or is a must if i want to do lets say WvW,lev 80 zones or other dungeons?

also if i want to do this dungeon one time or two to see how is it can i craft that gear?(im master crafter btw :D)Thanks!

1. - It's needed if you want to go in farther in the new dungeon, it's not a must in WvW but it will surely give you an edge, same with dungeons and zones.

2. You can't craft that gear as of yet, they said that they will have different methods in the future of obtaining the gear, but no word of when. So for right now only way to get it is through dungeons and the Infusions (upgrades) in the Mystic Forge, details are not out yet.

And how does it give you an edge, exactly? Show me some numbers...show me the statistcal difference and I'll say yay or nay to your "edge". Gear has never been a big steeple in GW or GW2. And that's not going to change. If you have this new ascended gear and some lonely mesmer has blues he still has an equal chance of defeating you 1v1. Additionally if you get zerged you will still die just as quickly. NO edge. People are complaining about something that is moot either way.

They've answered your question on Reddit. While Ascended may be the final gear set, they will have different kinds of infusions in the future to grind and gate content with.  The manifesto has officially been abandoned.

No, you just fail at reading.

Legendary is still the final tier; ascended is in between exotic and legendary as they have clearly stated. And I quote:

Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two.

Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two.

Get it now? Yay!

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

People here are really pathetic if you ask me. Always trying to find the thing that is "wrong" for them when in fact, it doesn't change anything at all. Yeah there's a new "tier" of gear, BIG DEAL, since the stats difference is meaningful and the way to obtain them ISN'T GRINDY WHATSOEVER. I just wish those people that are never happy about anything would just stop playing MMO since obviously, they won't ever be happy with anything.

Quoted from Anet :

"This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game.  Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

You’ll also see more Legendary items in the future and an update to our existing Legendary weapons. Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items. All Legendary items going forward will be of Ascended power. We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently."

So to the people caring so much about the future content, if they will need the new Ascended gear as well as infusions and come here and say that all those questions remain to be anwsered, all I can say is go back to school and LEARN TO READ. Especially you xipher.

I'm getting sick and tired of clueless people that are posting nonsense here. I guess I should just stop coming here and commentating on everything since people can't even understand some basic stuff that was explained from arenanet themselves. Ho yeah I forgot, they lied to us... At this point I don't even care if I get ban...because people will never be able to read properly and understand easy stuff.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Thupli

They've answered your question on Reddit. While Ascended may be the final gear set, they will have different kinds of infusions in the future to grind and gate content with.  The manifesto has officially been abandoned.

Legendary is still the final tier; ascended is in between exotic and legendary as they have clearly stated. And I quote:

Etc...

Get it now? Yay!

Actually he didn't fail at reading. Meleagar's comment was in regard to infusions being used as the artificial gate and grind mechanic, not the gear. The one line you repeated over and over is irrelevant to his post.

And, hey, can we move away from "lulz you fail at reading" line of argument? Can't you just present the counter argument without being insulting?

Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by Thupli

Etc...

Get it now? Yay!

Actually he didn't fail at reading. Meleagar's comment was in regard to infusions being used as the artificial gate and grind mechanic, not the gear. The one line you repeated over and over is irrelevant to his post.

And, hey, can we move away from "lulz you fail at reading" line of argument? Can't you just present the counter argument without being insulting?

Actually, even with infusions it is still the step in between the two.  Suggest you read what Anet has said.  I'm happy to repeat it over and over till you get what they are saying.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

He said: "Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on."

So chasing after more gear now is NOT a gear grind? RIGHT!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Tokken

He said: "Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on."

So chasing after more gear now is NOT a gear grind? RIGHT!

So from you're logic, every single RPG game, be it single or multiplayer is a grind? Nice one mate.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Ofcourse it will be outdated this is an MMO.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    I really wasn't there when ANet said that Exotic will be the "best-in-slot" item for all GW2's lifetime.
  • ExpiredLifeExpiredLife Member Posts: 20

They've already said that the Infusions will have new tiers rolled out, and ascended armor is already better than exotics with runes.

A fine level infusion is better than a fine level upgrade, so an exotic level infusion will be better than an exotic level upgrade. That goes on armor with stats already better than exotics with runes or orbs on them.

You're looking at probably a 300 point stat increase once all is said and done.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by ExpiredLife

They've already said that the Infusions will have new tiers rolled out, and ascended armor is already better than exotics with runes.

A fine level infusion is better than a fine level upgrade, so an exotic level infusion will be better than an exotic level upgrade. That goes on armor with stats already better than exotics with runes or orbs on them.

You're looking at probably a 300 point stat increase once all is said and done.

Execpt that ANET also added in Stat bounses to infusion stones

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Infusions-affect-normal-stats/first

So GW2 is not longer the game they advertised. /unistall

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Raekon

Originally posted by Raekon

Originally posted by xpiher Didn't answer anything. See my post on real answer
    Why you people don't read properly is really beyond me: - Ascended gear = agony resistance - Agony abilities only coming from certain enemies in certain areas This already answers that you can even stay in your exotics and enjoy future updates as long as you don't go after these types of mobs in the parts of the areas they are. You can even risk to go there with a group that has ascended gear and try your luck as also maybe survive if you manage to stay out of harm (or interupt when they try to use this skill on you). Was the  same against the Mursaat in GW1. You could survive even without infused armor but it was very hard cause you could die very fast through their agony skill. Same thing applies here. The main difference is only that in GW1 you could infuse your current armor and only need to reinfuse if you changed to a other one while in GW2 you need the ascended armor and it's defensive ability slot for that. Hope this makes it a bit more understandable.
    You would be right IF THEY DIDN'T ADD HIGHER STATS TO ASCENDED GEAR and then say "We will continue with this type of progression in the future" Its not clear at all. This isn't the same as Agony from GW1 either. In GW1 you could Ascend any gear in the game. This gear is tied to RNG as well. 

Higher stats comparison in PVE

You can live longer than a level 11 in a level 11 area if you play properly and can withstand more damage after you got scaled down then someone with lower armor - You can also do so in level 80 areas.

Higher stats in dungeons

Applies to the same comment I did about PvE as long as you are playing equally good to the guy with the lower armor

On the top of it your whole team benefits from it which is a good thing.

Higher stats in WvsWvsW

If you get zerged by a team you will die the same way others with lower armor die.

If you come across a very skilled player than you, you will die even in a 1vs1 no matter if he has blue gear on or not because of the scaling and the buffs depending on how good your server does

Higher stats in spvp

not existant so it won't make any difference

Difference between exotics and ascended

- gem slot vs infusion slot - Stats given by gems, runes and sigils are base stats inascendant items.

- ascended higher stats in vs exotic more flexibility - more flexibility at the cost of lower power.

- ascended boosts 3 stats only vs exotics can boost up to 6 stats through the upgrade slot at the same time -ascended can boost 6 stats as well, vide picture.

The design decision was good because

- it gives level 80s more to do -doesn't need stats for that.

- it doesn't break the game - changes game core filosophy

- it doesn't make exotics or legendaries useless unless you are up against opponents that are using agony - legendaries are fine, exoctics are less powerful.

- the addition isn't random but rather connected to the lore which opens more possibilities for future content --no reason it had to require a slot.

- adding new gear with new looks  and more skins gives people that like to collect more to do aswell (yeah I know they could do that with new skins only aswell) exactly

- the exotics and all the other armor have an upgrade slot, replacing these with a infusion after millions of people are having on would lead only to issues that the developers and players would have to endure - you could make it an aplied property, a la GW1, you could make it a rank

Adding a new item instead is giving them more control over it, less coding issues which means less players affected if at all. - they are upgrading legendary items aswell, could be another alternative method

There is no sugar coating it - Arenanet added stats because, and they say so, want to give progression players more progression.

Of course progression players will get Ascendant items and demand more progression stats.

What will Anet do then?

(that is assuming the progression types actually come back for a +10% boost everyone else can get aswell -progression types always strike me as exclusivist, they want the best items in the hands of only a minority).

I'm not sugar coating anything and you didn't even bother to understand half of what I wrote.

The games philosophy didn't change nor do the ascended give you 6 stats either.

Flexibility at the cost of power = balance and I'm sure we all prefer balance to overpowered stuff.

Alone your "you can do the same in the level 80 zones" shows it cause I'm pretty sure a level 11, stays as level 11 in a 80s zone.

The problem here is that you went on a witch hunt the first time you read the first article and holding upon your opinion no matter what others say or prove to you while even ignoring what the devs themselves are telling through their blogs all the same.

If you wanna be THAT stubborn and think you know it all better, trying to counter every valid argument from everyone without having a clue about game development yourself, then go ahead and do it.

You are doing well in it in the several threads by putting down anyone that says otherwise to what you have setup your mindset upon anyway.

For me is this discussion with you over, cause I'm not willing to waste my time talking to a person with a tunnel view that doesn't allow himself or others to look left or right but rather only in one direction.

The direction he choose to look only.

Have a great day.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This is getting ridiculous. Colin Johanson and Mike O'Brien made statements about gear during development that many players thought were very important. About the no grind for stats philosophy. You can find the quotes in this thread : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/369585/page/1

Legendary items used to be just looks, but because of the introduction of Ascended gear, it got bumped two notches in stats.

Before : Exotic were max stats.

After : There will be two new tiers above Exotic in stats. Ascended and Legendary.

This is grinding for max (for now? ) stats, that both Mike O'Brien and Colin Johanson claimed wasn't going to be in the game. Legendary is a real grind, that they even admitted themselves and it will now have better stats.

What is interesting though is that we don't hear anything from Mike O'Brien and Colin Johanson about this. But it should be obvious that Anet came back on their word. There is no denying that. Everyone who was following GW2 during development knows this.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Well Anet can't please everybody.

One thing for sure, is that people who can't cope with change, can't cope.  

These people must never have went into WvW with a low level character, because how could they enjoy it unless they had the absolute highest level gear?

I don't know, but if you HAVE to have the most powerful gear because everything else is just inferior junk, does that make you an elitist?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

So let me get this right....

People are upset about GEAR......

Now because there is more gear coming people are upset they have to go get that gear?

I'm confused.....

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Whacko

Now because there is more gear coming people are upset they have to go get that gear?

I'm confused.....

People are upset that this shows that Arenanet is just going to keep bumping stats and make you endlessly work towards more and more gear. Instead of adding meaningful progression and new features, they just increase stats. Its lazy, and WoW like. It also means that unless you grind for this gear, you'll be locked out of a lot of content.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Whacko

I'm confused.....

People are upset that this shows that Arenanet is just going to keep bumping stats and make you endlessly work towards more and more gear. Instead of adding meaningful progression and new features, they just increase stats. Its lazy, and WoW like. It also means that unless you grind for this gear, you'll be locked out of a lot of content.

TY

Sure glad I didn't buy into the GW2 Hype....

I'm still suffering from the SWTOR crap.