Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you played XCOM yet?

myzmarmyzmar Member UncommonPosts: 7
I cannot decide whether to spend the $ and give it a try, or not. I played the original game back a couple years ago and loved it. But I hate remakes which simplify things only to give us up-to-date graphics etc. So - do you think its worth it? How does it compare to the original? Did they introduce anything new that would surprise me (I remember the old game's mechanics and ending rather well).

Comments

• I think it's an incredible game.

Some things got streamlined, other things were given additional depth. Don't expect a 1:1 translation, but they kept most of the major things that were at the heart of the old game. It clearly was a labor of love.

It's a deep game that stays true to the spirit of the original, but is different enough to stand on its own legs. It also plays smooth as Hell and is super addictive. Hell, even Yahtzee likes it.

You can always check out the demo on Steam. It covers the optional tutorial part of the game, which is rather scripted but gives you a good impression of how the tactical bit works.

I bought both the PC and the Xbox 360 versions. It plays surprisingly well on the 360, but if you have the choose and your PC isn't old, definitely get the PC version. It plays more smoothly and feels more native there.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    I liked it. Definently more streamlined compared to the original as mentioned above, but at it's core it still feels like Xcom. Not sure if they're planning on it, but i'd be eager to see an expansion or something.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Bought it on launch day, absolutely love it.

A very fitting successor to the previous games in the series.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I really like it.

It definitely is reminiscent of x-com enemy unknown (UFO defense).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Played the demo on steam and it bored the back off me. I loved the original game but cannot get into playing turn based games after so many MMO's.

Sadly I will not be buying this it just does not have enough for me and the fact that they dropped down the size of your squad was the killer for me I loved the ammount of guys you could train in the original.

Asbo

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438
    I've completed a playthrough and I really liked it. It's definitely good for the money I spent considering I will play it again in the near future. I have 3 friends however who have not been able to drop it since it came out.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

There are alternatives if you're still uncertain.  (personally didn't buy because of steamworks but from what i've read glad i didn't).

UFO Alien Invasion a free one that's well worth the download(it's free).

UFO Extraterrestrials can be bought cheaply now and is pretty decent.  Lots of tech to research and although your squad members don't die I actual rather like that aspect.  There's a mod to make it more like ufo enemy unknown too.  Sequel to this is meant to be out soon according to the website.

Xenonaughts is meant to be much more like the original but grpahically subpar to the remake(lower budget) there's an alpha demo to try.  Also shouldn't be long until it's out.

There's also the ufo trilogy(Aftermath, Aftershock and Afterlight).  They tried to mix turn based with real time and it didn't work very well.  More story driven but just doesn't compare to enemy unknown.  Still for under a fiver I found it a good buy.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    I've only got a bout 10 hours into it, but so far it's pretty good. Been distracted by other games though (Borderlands 2, Dishonored) but I'll definitely be putting some more time into it once I need a break from those.
  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Before it released, Firaxis and the lead designers repeatedly said they felt that the game's Classic difficulty (with Ironman enabled) was the true spirit of this game. And I can say, after doing a couple of these CI runthroughs, it really is. 

Found this game to almost perfectly capture the spirit and tension of the original, while still letting it keep its own personality. I absolutely love it, and that's as someone who has been playing 3 runthroughs every year of the OG since it released on Steam =)

Having said that, if the game being mechanically (closer to 1:1 conversion) the same as the OG is of utmost importance to you, you will be disappointed. The alternatives listed above by Karahandras will be far more your alley.

Still, even in such a case, the game is still an extremely solid (though at times buggy, can't deny this) TBS game all-around. So it's always worth a shot even if just for that, imo.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is awesome its also a reminder why turn based games like Fallout 1&2 where so bloodly awesome in the own right image
  • myzmarmyzmar Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Thanks a lot guys for your inputs, after what I read I definitely will try the demo available on steam. Cheers!
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I'll wait until it's in the bargain bin for $10.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I heard it takes like a million clicks just to perform certain functions. Any truth to this ?
  • CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49

Enjoyed every minutes of it and worth every dollar. I'll buy DLCs in a heartbeat.

I also raged a lot with the camera for fights inside big ships.

• CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Waybackwhen
    I heard it takes like a million clicks just to perform certain functions. Any truth to this ?

Hmm well it's a turn based strategy game so you do click a lot but it never felt tedious for me.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Movement is click based like most isometric games, and it's usually safer to move through a map slowly else you risk wasting turns/getting stuck in a bad situation.

But no, I don't know why anyone would think that about enemy unknown.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Movement is click based like most isometric games, and it's usually safer to move through a map slowly else you risk wasting turns/getting stuck in a bad situation.

But no, I don't know why anyone would think that about enemy unknown.

When released, some people were heavily, heavily complaining (not here) about the confirmation box that you press "OK" on after you select something like "Overwatch" with the mouse. Of course, you can just double click the #hotkey or #hotkey+spacebar, or just press the keybind (y for overwatch) once, but people still complained about that.

The only other thing I can think of is unequipping soldiers that you're swapping out so you can use their equipment on who you're swapping in. 

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Axxar

I think it's an incredible game.

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278
    I rented it and enjoyed it beat it and sending it back it's possible i might buy it lol.

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    its a no-brainer, buy it!
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It's a brilliant remake, i was a massive fan of the entire x-com/UFO series and i think thsi is the best one of them all!

However, no co-op!!!!!! Thats what this game lacks.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

played

UFO enemy unknown

UFO terror from the deep

UFO Apocalypse

UFO aftermath

UFO aftershock

UFO afterlight

UFO extra terrestrials

playing

XCOM enemy unknown

and waiting for the

UFO extra terrestrials 2

i loved all of them

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • I really enjoy it...the classic difficulty is killer!
  • bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by defector1968

played

UFO enemy unknown

UFO terror from the deep

UFO Apocalypse

UFO aftermath

UFO aftershock

UFO afterlight

UFO extra terrestrials

playing

XCOM enemy unknown

and waiting for the

UFO extra terrestrials 2

i loved all of them

How about xenonaughts?

Just noticed XCOM in the Steam sale!

• If they ever finish Xenonauts - and by finish I mean really finish, I'll definitely buy it.