Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: F2P Option Launches Today

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

BioWare and EA have announced that the new 'free to play option' for Star Wars: The Old Republic has officially launched as of today. According to the press release, players can now hit level 50 without ever paying a dime for a subscription.

“We want to give our players the freedom to enjoy Star Wars: The Old Republic when and how they want,” said Matthew Bromberg, General Manager of BioWare Austin. “There has never been a better time to start playing with us.”

Also today, BioWare released Game Update 1.5: HK-51 Activated, which adds new areas to explore, a new Companion character and more.

Read more on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site (though as of this writing the site is down for maintenance).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Or maybe tomorow.
  • AlkoreAlkore Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I have a great idea lets add a patch and take 12hrs to do it and Lets do it during the day so we kill the gamers instead of at night when everyone is asleep and the game is empty....
  • huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210

i bet Saturday before we can log on any advances

mind you cant see what the problem is obviously it was tested so something has gone seriously wrong

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

“We want to give our players the freedom to enjoy Star Wars: The Old Republic when and how they want,”

or not so much freedom as the case may be.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

they still have a big "1 day until, find out more" banner at http://www.swtor.com/.

2+ hours delay already so i think they really mean 1 more day.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    maybe its the empire, striking backimage
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Episode IXXXIIIXXXX
    The Revenge Of The Neverending Maintenance Strikes Back Clones

It is a dark time for Star Wars The Old Republic. Disappointing sub retention has forced the game adopt a free to play option. Despite the lack of side Hot-Bars, around the galaxy millions of eager players await to launch the game for the first time now there is no barrier to entry......And when I say millions of players I mean thousands........When I say thousands I mean hundreds.......OK! Probably about 10-20 new players. However, what was meant to be a simple patch implementation from the test servers has been sabotaged by the E.Avil Empire, striking from their hidden multi-storey mac daddy Death Star office building they have once again conceived to snatch cluster monkey from the jaws of victory as the maintenance is already three hours overdue. The last valiant employee of the once great BioWare struggles to update all the servers in time and restore disappointment to the Galaxy.

(posted for fun. I like the game myself image)

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    1 whole day of paid time is gone thanks to maintenance done during the effin daytime LOL.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Episode IXXXIIIXXXX
    The Revenge Of The Neverending Maintenance Strikes Back Clones

It is a dark time for Star Wars The Old Republic. Disappointing sub retention has forced the game adopt a free to play option. Despite the lack of side Hot-Bars, around the galaxy millions of eager players await to launch the game for the first time now there is no barrier to entry......And when I say millions of players I mean thousands........When I say thousands I mean hundreds.......OK! Probably about 10-20 new players. However, what was meant to be a simple patch implementation from the test servers has been sabotaged by the E.Avil Empire, striking from their hidden multi-storey mac daddy Death Star office building they have once again conceived to snatch cluster monkey from the jaws of victory as the maintenance is already three hours overdue. The last valiant employee of the once great BioWare struggles to update all the servers in time and restore disappointment to the Galaxy.

(posted for fun. I like the game myself image)

restore disappointment? :) I think we have plenty of that already... but it's cool, I hope someone make an intro video from it.

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Wow, I'm just now seeing all the restrictions, including not a limit of two characters per server, but two for the entire game. Also, the naming issue still exists. Nearly all of my characters (of which I can play two, of course) need name changes... Hello? I realize that I'm getting more than what I'm paying for, but if there was any chance of me once again becoming a subscriber, it's now gone. I'm not going to pay for the simplest things that any other free MMO provides for anyone.

...And what's this about not being able to wear all your high-level gear...? Huh? Can't wear things I've eaned? Must pay for them instead?
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    If and when I get bored I might check it out. 
  • GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

before you go and create an account, take some time and look at the F2P vs Prefered/Sub customers options. THIS IS NOT A F2P. no bank, no trading (2 slots lol), limited inventory, more grind to lvlup, you get your mounts 5-10lvls later, you CANT HAVE MORE THAN 200k! Which means, you cant buy the high lvl mounts. You cant equip epic items and so on.

To sum it up: you will be able to play the story mode, but only of the available races and classes, not all are free.

fuck those guys srsly

• StuntieStuntie Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

before you go and create an account, take some time and look at the F2P vs Prefered/Sub customers options. THIS IS NOT A F2P. no bank, no trading (2 slots lol), limited inventory, more grind to lvlup, you get your mounts 5-10lvls later, you CANT HAVE MORE THAN 200k! Which means, you cant buy the high lvl mounts. You cant equip epic items and so on.

To sum it up: you will be able to play the story mode, but only of the available races and classes, not all are free.

fuck those guys srsly

And you expect what for free? The entire game? All the mounts and money you can have? no restrictions what so ever?

They need to get subs and cash shop money to survive just like Lotro AOC and EQ2 etc. But all I hear is people slamming games with subs and then slamming f2p for having parts you need to pay for.

It is a business not a charity for freeloading gamers.

Cheers
    Stuntie.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by Stuntie
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

fuck those guys srsly

And you expect what for free? The entire game? All the mounts and money you can have? no restrictions what so ever?

They need to get subs and cash shop money to survive just like Lotro AOC and EQ2 etc. But all I hear is people slamming games with subs and then slamming f2p for having parts you need to pay for.

It is a business not a charity for freeloading gamers.

Locking races and classes of certain ones makes sense. They need people to pay for something.

Locking toolbars and UI elements ? Moronic.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    How big is the download? Deleted it off the hard drive and seem to have misplaced the disk.
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    How big is the download? Deleted it off the hard drive and seem to have misplaced the disk.

Not sure about the dl but file size on my HD is 20.4 Gb

• shck56shck56 Member UncommonPosts: 1

Has there been any update on what's going on with the game?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by shck56

Has there been any update on what's going on with the game?

With regard to what?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Reading the posts on the official forums with many people not getting their cartel coins or getting the wrong amount or even a three digit negative amount, not able to create new characters even if they apply to the less than 2 char slots filled, and...

bleh I'll wait till December, it is too unerving atm.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Just got logged in yippy :-)
  • Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65

I personally don't have any problem with any of the restrictions except for the actionbars. I can't even have half my abilities on on my higher level characters. Restricting UI usage is very extreme and no I don't expect everything for free. Oh and the crew skill limitation is dumb too. You have to have 2 gathering skills in order to craft. So they are saying you can't craft unless you give us money, plain and simple.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        How big is the f2p download?
  • PhayzPhayz Member UncommonPosts: 67
  • PhayzPhayz Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by Theocritus
        How big is the f2p download?

I'm downloading it now, and once you get passed the 1.1gig video download...it's 11.01gigs. Not sure if there's more after that though, haven't got that far.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    I think it is around 27 Gig

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E