Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bioware-- first company to charge for your skill bars in your ui.

13»

Comments

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
     LOL!! EA will always be garbage , once the game racks in no profit they'll simply pull the plug and shut the game down , those still playing SW:ToR WTF are you waiting for to uninstall this sorry excuse of a MMO?   This is even worst then Age of Conan , which is pretty hard for me to believe!! LOL!!
  • LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    And this is why in the realm of Themepark, Rift is the only game worth looking at. These F2p transitions will only continue to get worse as people start to accept more.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by Talonsin

I have played since launch, pre-ordered the CE on day one and still play for the story and even I think that charging for a frickin action bar is insane.  It honestly is an all time low for a publisher.  I thought the lockboxes in STO were bad (and they are) but having to pay to get an action bar?  I am in complete shock over how awful this is.

I wonder how F2P people are supposed to play without ability to slot their skills. Or maybe there is enough slots by default?

There arent enough slots, at least not after the first 15 or so levels.  a single hot bar is nowhere near close enough. Which means if you really are serious about playing, you must buy the extra hot bars. But thats just a single factor, just wait till you get loot drops you can't use without paying to unlock. image

• kevnonkevnon Member Posts: 20
    just tried out swtor, and im so far pretty happy.  only lvl 12 but i like it.  might actually subscribe to it, well see how everything goes.

kevin ripka

• casual187casual187 Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Boldyn

MegAtrO...ah cba, the first player ever to whine about something that is free! Oh wait, you ain't. My bad.

You don't have to pay for those bars to try the game out. It's an excellent way to let people try the game. If i fall for an MMO I would be happy to pay a monthly fee, like I did with WoW, Rift, Eve and other games untill the day I decided not to play them anymore. Just like I did with SWTOR. F2P wont see me return, even if it was all free ;)

Bottom line is you all look jaded by now with the whole "*Sniff* EA destroyed my hopes for a Star Wars mmo".

If you like the game, pay. If you don't like the game, don't play. If you want to try it out, do so, it's f2p.

Other than that, move the F on allready!

*clap* *clap* *clap* vey well said.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i,m logging in just to see the restrictions..i think the game is about to get blasted into the cosmos again.all these restrictions.especially the ui,that beggars belief.i seriouly dont think they are doin themselves any favours by restrictions on the ui.
  • WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

It is only 250 cartel coins to unlock a skill bar, not even the price of a beer

Come on, stop whining about F2P and enjoy that you get to play something if you decide to pay nothing

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Wasn't it already stated in another thread that Gamersfirst actually did this when FallenEarth went f2p thus making this OP false?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I would have definately played this FTP launch.. but not after this. They must have some serious idiots working on the cash shop for this game. If they quickly remove the dumb cash shop options and stick to traditional ones they will get a much better return from making it FTP.. how can all those goons with loads of degrees and stuff that work for them not see this? When a game is clearly failing you do not start taking chances and seeing what you can get away with. They should release a book called how to put the final nail in the coffin.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

When in battle I used three out of the four bars for combat. Without at least three bars I can't even play. That's why I wont be playing.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by kevnon
    just tried out swtor, and im so far pretty happy.  only lvl 12 but i like it.  might actually subscribe to it, well see how everything goes.

And if the servers were actually up we might even believe you .. oops image

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

I would try it out if I didn't think they were going to charge me to un-install.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by kevnon

And if the servers were actually up we might even believe you .. oops image

parallel universe?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

At best their payment model is a freemium trial account so stop getting your panties in a bunch expecting full access. It is painfully obvious that they want their players to pay the sub if they wish to play the game more.

In some ways I respect what they are doing (I won't play the game mind you). Most freemium games try to allow full access to the game (even if you have to jump through multiple hoops to do so). SWTOR basically is saying that if you want to play for free, you aren't going to be annoying the paying customers much who choose to pay for full access and expect as much. It is teh more  honest approach, even if you hate it.

SWTOR f2p = extended trial.

You stay sassy!

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower

Bioware the first f2p company to charge you for your skill bars in your ui, i think they might as well charge you everytiem you try to login and customize your new character too while they are at it.

OOOO yea how about those slide bars that you customize your character with , heyyyy they might want to charge for those slide bars too.

Yeah this is ridiculous - this was a BIG factor in my decision to not return to SW:TOR when it went semi-f2p.  I had thought about logging in and playing my old toons, but why would I? They so severely limited their free option, I mean fewer skill bars than p2p?! Really? How lame can you get? 

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Tamanous

At best their payment model is a freemium trial account so stop getting your panties in a bunch expecting full access. It is painfully obvious that they want their players to pay the sub if they wish to play the game more.

In some ways I respect what they are doing (I won't play the game mind you). Most freemium games try to allow full access to the game (even if you have to jump through multiple hoops to do so). SWTOR basically is saying that if you want to play for free, you aren't going to be annoying the paying customers much who choose to pay for full access and expect as much. Is some respects it is a very honest approach.

Except Bioware has stated the purpose of the FTP option is the exact opposite.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Originally posted by Tamanous

In some ways I respect what they are doing (I won't play the game mind you). Most freemium games try to allow full access to the game (even if you have to jump through multiple hoops to do so). SWTOR basically is saying that if you want to play for free, you aren't going to be annoying the paying customers much who choose to pay for full access and expect as much. Is some respects it is a very honest approach.

Except Bioware has stated the purpose of the FTP option is the exact opposite.

Well then it is marketing spin. If they choose to lie about it that is another matter lol.

If someone serves you shit that looks like shit and smells like shit yet calls it cake ... do you still eat it?

I see a lot of people eating shit around here.

You stay sassy!

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Charging for UI features? I think I may have to finally uninstall Tor. And I was hoping that it could be something to tool about on warzones and whatnot....*sigh* have some nifty music and a Malgus statue I guess....

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

This thread just seems set up to bash instead of actually hold some sort of discussion. This topic has been explored in existing threads about F2P. 

These threads, for example:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/369140/What-F2P-restriction-do-you-hate-the-most.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/367422/Freemium-restrictions-detailed-updated-Oct-16.html

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.