Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you sub $29.99 a month to a MMORPG if the game was just that incredible?

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    my standards have gotten so low that I'd pay that much just for an mmo that didn't outright suck after a month.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Naw

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by JohnH2005
    hey parents, hide your cards quickly, your kids want to spend double for the same crap mmo!

Oh, now I remember why I stayed away from this site for so long.  Idiots that cannot read.  Idiots with no imagination.  /strolls away

as idiot as you, i doubt it.

not sure if serious.

• ZeprimusZeprimus Member Posts: 40
    For an amazing game, yes. If it can beat buying or trying any other games, offer entertainment and storytelling that rivals the best of television or reading, and allows me to not feel like I'm sinking time, then I think something like that would be worth the price per month. However, if it didn't amount to that, charging twice a month what other games do would just be developer/publisher hubris.

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Id pay 40-50 bucks a month for my dream mmorpg.

^

This

Same.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    It depends. I both have the time to play an MMO (but they bore me hellishly right now) and dishing out 30$ and more for a monthly sub isn't an issue either. The only remaining question would be, would such a game exist and would I like it?

But most probably I'd need to make my dream game on my own (without the need to make much compromises and experimenting a lot). That would mean dishing out money for software/hardware (hardware would be less of an issue when renting cloud computing resources) and investing lots of working hours in my free time. Well, at least you'd improve your technical knowledge this way. What would the alternative be? Spend the time farming and grinding in some existing MMO? ,) 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by JohnH2005
    hey parents, hide your cards quickly, your kids want to spend double for the same crap mmo!

Oh, now I remember why I stayed away from this site for so long.  Idiots that cannot read.  Idiots with no imagination.  /strolls away

as idiot as you, i doubt it.

not sure if serious.

apparently he is

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I think you missed a bit Rojo.

This is a "pie in the sky - what it" sort of thread.

There is not one person here who indicated they would pay double for the "same crap mmo". Not one. But for some reason you missed this.

Then again, I suppose english isn't your first language so I guess I can undertand the confusion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Sovrath

There is not one person here who indicated they would pay double for the "same crap mmo". Not one. But for some reason you missed this.

Then again, I suppose english isn't your first language so I guess I can undertand the confusion.

i did not miss it. By "same crap mmo" i mean just any mmo, its all the same. It doesnt matter how much of an improvement it is over the current mmos, its still not worth more than $15 a month. Ill repeat what i said in other thread. MMOs are not failing because the companies aren't charging enough. Its because they are becoming too greedy and many gamers instead of realizing it they just let the brainwash do its job. 

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93
    I allways think over mmorpgs in another direction.Its like a heroin junkie that wants the feeling of the first hit you can do more and more,but you never get the feeling back that you had in your first mmorpg.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Sovrath

i did not miss it. By "same crap mmo" i mean just any mmo, its all the same. It doesnt matter how much of an improvement it is over the current mmos, its still not worth more than $15 a month. Ill repeat what i said in other thread. MMOs are not failing because the companies aren't charging enough. Its because they are becoming too greedy and many gamers instead of realizing it they just let the brainwash do its job. 

But again this is really just a "shootin' the sh*t" thread. No game company (as you suggested in this last response) has been able to make a subscription game and hold the entirety of its player base except perhaps wow. So no game company would even think of doubling its sub price as they would lose more than they would gain.

However, in some respects I say "good" let the larger companies read this and know that it they stepped up their product exponentially then they could be making more money.

However, until that time they are going to have to get by on f2p and floundering to understand what they need to do to be better.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by mikecackle

Imagine your most favorite MMORPG game ever in your head and say it exists and you play it full time every day.. And it has so much content you couldnt shake your snake at it all...Would you sub $29.99 a month to this type of game? What's the most you would pay for a monthly subscription?

Or do you think no matter how good a game is, its only worth a minimal fee?

no, but luckily I play favorite MMO 100% free (with all unlocks ^^), but $30/month is a bit steep :)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

$30 - $50 a month is less than many spend on f2p or freemium games ... and those are typically crap games. Some pay $100 or more a month in pay to win games.

If a game was extremely fun and solid with content designed for every player with zero gating through cash shops I would easily pay $30 a month. Just take a look at most of the cash shops out there. Paying $20 in points (or taking often months of play time to grind out free points ... time is money for those people with real lives: aka working) is common place just to buy a mount.

If ALL content was accessable in game and EVERY patch delivered equality to all players within a great game it would be the only fair way to play the game. This would mean the game would be amazing enough to be the only mmo you play ... an often rare event these days. Free loaders wanting to play the game for free would have to go elsewhere. This is the only way to create the solid communities that once existed in mmos.

You stay sassy!

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I definitely would not, no.  I'm also convinced that if any company would charge that much, no matter how good the game is, most of the gaming community, the one on these forums included, would be up in arms.
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by mikecackle

Imagine your most favorite MMORPG game ever in your head and say it exists and you play it full time every day.. And it has so much content you couldnt shake your snake at it all...Would you sub $29.99 a month to this type of game? What's the most you would pay for a monthly subscription?

Or do you think no matter how good a game is, its only worth a minimal fee?

no, but luckily I play favorite MMO 100% free (with all unlocks ^^), but $30/month is a bit steep :)

I imagine you play many many more hours than the average player to get all those unlocks ... am I right?

If so then you still ride the coat tails of the paying customers who are screwed by being forced to pay more to obtain equal content. Nothing is fair about that model.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by leojreimroc
    I definitely would not, no.  I'm also convinced that if any company would charge that much, no matter how good the game is, most of the gaming community, the one on these forums included, would be up in arms.

There are certainly caveats to this scenario though. It would absolutely require significant more content delivered entirely created for the game itself. No cash shop items to gouge the public, no gated content to be unlocked through CS ... etc, etc.

It would require a truly amazing game where a sub could %100 support the costs with all the benefits of a sub model (typically equality within the community). Not everyone would be suited to it ... and that is exactly the benefit of it (read into that as you will).

You stay sassy!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

What have we learned from this thread?

Different people with different incomes value their entertainment dollars to different degrees.  From such the science of price pointing is born.  Didn't we learn that the first time we saw someone running around with a buffbot?

Now ask 'em if they'd pay the 12 dollars an hour for GEnie 9600 baud dialup access...  Just for fun.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Yes certainly would.
  • gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127

I'd pay upwards of $100.00 per month for my perfect MMO. 

My limit would probably be $200.00 per month. 

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by Icewhite

What have we learned from this thread?

Different people with different incomes value their entertainment dollars to different degrees.  From such the science of price pointing is born.  Didn't we learn that the first time we saw someone running around with a buffbot?

Now ask 'em if they'd pay the 12 dollars an hour for GEnie 9600 baud dialup access...  Just for fun.

we may have learned that, but the people that matter still seem to see everyone that ever played a MMO as one giant demographic no matter what they spend to play.

Originally posted by gamesrfun

I'd pay upwards of $100.00 per month for my perfect MMO. 

My limit would probably be $200.00 per month. 

GEnie had Collectors chasing people around because their kids wracked up $1200 bills in a single month.  "Knew Little Johnny was up to something in his room every night." "Oop, no, that was me playing Poker all night dear"

Result, the end of 'pay by the hour' payment plans, and the birth of Monthly pre-pays.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Jerek_
    we may have learned that, but the people that matter still seem to see everyone that ever played a MMO as one giant demographic no matter what they spend to play.

How many addicts do you suppose are shutting down 8 years account because 15 a month suddenly feels too expensive?

Hyperbolic forum yackyack doesn't have any real effect on price points.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
        There is no MMO that is 30 dollars a month incredible...Heck I dont think there is one that is 15 a month incredible.
  • CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Hell no

• CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49
    Yes. Already did it in the past with EverQuest Legends/Stormhammer server which was 40$ a month.