Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$200 AAA MMO, No Monthly, No CS

Would you be willing to drop $200 on a AAA MMO if it meant getting a consistantly updated game with good support, and never  having to worry about a monthly fee or cash shop?

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It depends, I would need a pretty awesome trial.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    This has been tried several time.  Lotro was one.  They all developed a cs. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Absolutely not.

Look at those people who got burnt with lifetime subs in other games.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Give 200€ to some company and at same time lose all control ,not so good idea,people should learn from what Anet just did.

Sub is a must.

Let's internet

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    i said no.  once they have the 200, whats driving them not to suck once the rush of new players is over?  without some kind of revenue the game becomes nothing but a drain on the company and no company in existance has the ethics to maintain a game just becuase they promised to.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    It depends, I would need a pretty awesome trial.

Yeah, would have to try a trial first.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    That would depend on the game

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Here is why this would be a terrible idea.  The company if it had any sort of business acumen would pocket the $200 from each fool, and then sit back and do nothing.  There would be no incentive for updating content ever.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dare say all these people coming up with these type of topic threads might be employees of gaming companies.... 

stop the crap. It has been many years already since the last mmo was worth even $15 a month, or more than $60 for a box.

Do you really think mmos are failing because they arent charging enough?  It is exactly the opposite, the gaming companies now only breath money and want to charge for everything, or charge higher prices. 

Anything they do now with much better quality than what we have now, its worth what they are currently charging. If you cant see and understand that then would you care to show us how much they are paying you for those idiotic posts?

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Didn't vote as "it depends" wasn't an option.

I'd need to know the developer, the publisher and the principals before I dropped $200 on a game. And a trial.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i dare say all these people coming up with these type of topic threads might be employees of gaming companies.... 

stop the crap. It has been many years already since the last mmo was worth even $15 a month, or more than $60 for a box.

Do you really think mmos are failing because they arent charging enough?  It is exactly the opposite, the gaming companies now only breath money and want to charge for everything, or charge higher prices. 

Anything they do now with much better quality than what we have now, its worth what they are currently charging. If you cant see and understand that then would you care to show us how much they are paying you for those idiotic posts?

+1

Unfortunately some of these forum users live in cloud cuckoo land.

i dare say all these people coming up with these type of topic threads might be employees of gaming companies.... stop the crap. It has been many years already since the last mmo was worth even $15 a month, or more than $60 for a box.Do you really think mmos are failing because they arent charging enough?  It is exactly the opposite, the gaming companies now only breath money and want to charge for everything, or charge higher prices. Anything they do now with much better quality than what we have now, its worth what they are currently charging. If you cant see and understand that then would you care to show us how much they are paying you for those idiotic posts?

Actually I think it's very reasonable for gaming companies and publishers to take polls like this in order to figure out how to market games. The world is changing, tech is changing, players are changing and it's hard to keep up with it all.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

You sir or mam are brilliant.  When I saw the title I just thought " Why dear god woiuld some one post this ". And you nailed what I was going to say, on the head.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    No , I did that once with STO a few years ago ... I remember not logging on my PC for about a week ... ahh the memories of one's epic failure in life!! :D
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

$200 for a game? I won't pay that for ANY game. There are just too many good alternatives.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Ye sI paid £212 for TSW GM Lifer pack.  Well worth it, so I already have.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

$200 for a game? I won't pay that for ANY game. There are just too many good alternatives.

$200 dollars for a game? I won't pay that for ANY game.  All of the alternatives out there are shallow offerings that fail to hold my interest over the long haul.

I've been burned by paying for a 6 month sub for Rift and a 3 month sub for Tera and dropping out of both games in about 1.5 months.

No mas.

Even EVE, which I've gone back to several times and have almost 4 years playing time isn't worth this sort of deal, heck I might tire of it for good tomorrow.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Yep I dropped $200 on the TSW lifetime as well, and I'd buy the LOTRO one if it was still available. The concept isn't new but OP is putting a new spin on it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by moguy2

You sir or mam are brilliant.  When I saw the title I just thought " Why dear god woiuld some one post this ". And you nailed what I was going to say, on the head.

Just this once i'll totally agree with you, pretty much on all counts. image

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

any gaming company employees reading this?

The OP's question is ridiculous - rather you should have asked -  " is the gaming community gullible enough to make the same mistakes twice by paying lots of money up front?"

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    No, too much risk for an unknown reward..
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    sure, that is exactly what I bought a lifetime sub for Secret World. Minus one dollar (199)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

$200 dollars for a game? I won't pay that for ANY game.  All of the alternatives out there are shallow offerings that fail to hold my interest over the long haul.

I've been burned by paying for a 6 month sub for Rift and a 3 month sub for Tera and dropping out of both games in about 1.5 months.

No mas.

Even EVE, which I've gone back to several times and have almost 4 years playing time isn't worth this sort of deal, heck I might tire of it for good tomorrow.

Your mistake is to pay for 6 month when you don't know if you like it.

Secondly, i don't see why "long haul" is important.  If you only pay $15 and have a fun month, and then leave, what is wrong with that?

Plus, there are so many f2p MMOs out there. If you play DDO for free for 2 hours and then you don't like it, will you feel cheated?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Give 200€ to some company and at same time lose all control ,not so good idea,people should learn from what Anet just did.

Sub is a must.

With a sub you are not in control either. Look what Rift did to Saboteurs 1 month after release. They got nerfed into oblivion because people were whining and complaining so much.  A sub doesn't guarantee anything other than more cost.

I am at a wait and see with A.Net - the patch isn't out and we shall see what happens.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Yep I dropped $200 on the TSW lifetime as well, and I'd buy the LOTRO one if it was still available. The concept isn't new but OP is putting a new spin on it.

Well, you got part of the deal, but did still get stuck with a cash shop.  Way of the new world order I'm afraid.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon