Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Ask Us Anything Part 1 Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The first in a series of 'Ask Us Anything' articles has been published on The Elder Scrolls Online site. Questions run the gamut from PvE faction quests to how big the game world will be to how familiar certain areas of TESO will be compared to the same ones in Skyrim.

This might also entail the rest of the game, but how big will Morrowind be compared to how big it was in TES 3? I get that the landscape will be different, but will it still be the same size, and have a similar layout?  – By Ryon Burridge

It’s difficult to make a direct size comparison between the two, as they actually take place in different areas of Morrowind.  The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind takes place on the northern island of Vvardenfell.  In The Elder Scrolls Online, you’ll get to explore Morrowind’s mainland and see areas you’ve never seen before, or haven’t seen in to the level of detail we’re presenting it in.  One such area is Deshaan, the region of southern Morrowind that borders Black Marsh.  That’s not to say adventurers in The Elder Scrolls Online won’t ever be able to visit Vvardenfell.

Read the rest on The Elder Scrolls Online's site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    What about asking good questions that people are actually concerned about?  I'm guessing it's not "ask us anything" but only ask us things that make the game sound amazing.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Looks like staged questions. Nice try though.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Yeah not a single worth while question, like what have you learned from star wars the old republic and other recent triple a launches that havent done as well as expected and what will you try to improve on.

Or you know, anything relating to the actual fucking gameplay. I guess if i wanted to read about game lore, future faction grind and world size i could come read this artcle and get giddy.

Here is how i read that interview:

MMORPG: So youre know upcomming elder scrolls title, is it going to be awesome?

TESO: Of course its going to be awesome!

MMORPG: How awesome is it going to be?

TESO: *extends arms* Its going to be THIIS Awesome!!

MMORPG: There you have it folks, from the creators mouth to your ears, the game is going to be that awesome!

It was absurd.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Pretty much what everyone here said. 

We all wished for an Elder Scrolls MMO at some point. Turns out it's one of those "careful what you wish for" type deals.

I have no interest in a WoW Clone based in Morrowind/Skyrim developed as a blatent cash grab to capitolize on the success of Skyrim. 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

"Ask us anything... from the list of questions we provided."

These are the worst questions ever.

How about this:

#1. How large is the word? How long would it take to walk across? Are we limited to the main path with about 200 yards of "exploration" space?

#2. Social tools? Do we have incentives to hang out in the INNs and taverns? Can we plant houses? Can the players dictate the economy via crafting / player shops?

#3. What kind of PvP will there be? Open World? Or will it be a tiny segment of the world, but because it's in the world you will call it, "Open World".

#4. Itemization? Will we be seeing 10,000 "General Deathmarch's Hammer of Wind" on the AH? Or will we actually have some loot with randomizaed stats...

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Yeah not a single worth while question, like what have you learned from star wars the old republic and other recent triple a launches that havent done as well as expected and what will you try to improve on.

Or you know, anything relating to the actual fucking gameplay. I guess if i wanted to read about game lore, future faction grind and world size i could come read this artcle and get giddy.

MMORPG: There you have it folks, from the creators mouth to your ears, the game is going to be that awesome!

It was absurd.

Excellent post.  I did indeed laugh out loud.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    hey they said "ask us anything." they never said anything about answering. :)
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

To be fair, some of the questions weren't bad at all. It's just that the developers just didn't really answer them. :)

Take the one about how big Morrowind is in TESO compared to its incarnation in TES 3. That's one question I'd also like to know the answer to, and one that would give us an idea about the size of the world.

Pity the developers sidestepped it with "It’s difficult to make a direct size comparison between the two, as they actually take place in different areas of Morrowind".

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Only question I really thought was any good was the first one....

I'm actually very glad as a person who loves alt's that my experience will be different with each faction....

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

"Ask us anything... from the list of questions we provided."

These are the worst questions ever.

How about this:

#1. How large is the word? How long would it take to walk across? Are we limited to the main path with about 200 yards of "exploration" space?

I don't know but you would be foolish to think you can only go 200 yards lol,look at the maps.

#2. Social tools? Do we have incentives to hang out in the INNs and taverns? Can we plant houses? Can the players dictate the economy via crafting / player shops?

No player shops and no housing at release. Crafting is in and you can pick up items from houses and the open world much like all TES games but no dropping items

#3. What kind of PvP will there be? Open World? Or will it be a tiny segment of the world, but because it's in the world you will call it, "Open World".

This has already been confirmed, Cyrodiil will be the FvFvF pvp AREA. There is no PVP outside of that area,no FFA in other factions areas because you can't get to those areas unless you make a new character. This info has been out there since day one, it's not hard to fiund.

#4. Itemization? Will we be seeing 10,000 "General Deathmarch's Hammer of Wind" on the AH? Or will we actually have some loot with randomizaed stats...

Not hard when you actually try.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    As a huge Elder Scrolls fan its killing me wanting to play, I love the lore, setting and all that fun jaz. However as a bigger MMO fan I know this game is just a another cash in on a very popular franchise name. From what I have heard its already going to be an abysmal MMO experience. The best part of it, I will be able to tinker around in the game when it goes F2P. But the second I feel like a little errand boy "uninstall." I give it half a day sadly. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

"Ask us anything" my arse.............

What kind of question are those?

Really the more PR spin they do, the more this game smell fishy.

I really have a bad vibe about this game, this is going to tank harder than SWTOR.

A really good question to Bethesda would be "Do you plan to release TES 6 together with TESO so we can play a real TES game? "

PS: While I write this post I am playing Skyrim, once again.........that's how you make a game

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    That was weak I have to say.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

The, 'We are trying to stay faithful to Elder Scrolls lore' part was hilarious considering how they've cobbled together the alliances out of contiguous groups that were mortal enemies.   Got fit it into the mechanic!

Although I do find it funny;   folks have been bemoaning the lack of a DAoC style game, and here it is.   But the bemoaning is still a-going.  Me, I was more of an Elder Scrolls (Morrowind specific) fan, so my bemoaning is of a different flavor.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    They should of asked what the reasoning was behind not making it a sandbox first person mmo like it should be. If they say to make it appeal to a broader audience my reply would be you already have millions of elder scrolls players right now.
  • gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127

So far it sounds really terrible.

As in, don't want, don't want, don't want.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I would have liked clarification on teh quesiton regadding overall world scale. They kind of sidestepped it.

Great TES3 was only the northern island, and TESO will have the northern island and the rest. Perhaps you can just state if the areas that are in both games, the northern island, would take the same amount of time to walk from one side to the other.

tells me they are going to shrink the world, else they would be bragging in detail how they have perserved the massive scale of hte single-player games.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    theres a big flaw with their 3 faction pvp system, humans are the most popular race in any game it would have been easyer to balance individual faction pop if they had  let  people freely  pick race and faction or allowed all factions access to imperials

none human factions will have the lowest population

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

It was absurd.

I've noticed this over the past year that most Q/A interviews here go like that.

Do they ever ask "tough" questions with direct follow-ups ? It just seems mmo devs have become almost on par with politicians for spewing drivel and never actually saying anything direct and sites let them get away with it.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I hope they also get asked if I see that castle at the top of that mountain, will I be able reach it? or it's just for shows?

One aspect I like of these games is anythng you see can be reached and has something in it not empty.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

I've noticed this over the past year that most Q/A interviews here go like that.

Do they ever ask "tough" questions with direct follow-ups ? It just seems mmo devs have become almost on par with politicians for spewing drivel and never actually saying anything direct and sites let them get away with it.

They let them "get away with it" because in return the site gets early beta access. In some cases especially involving an EA game they get paid.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

The, 'We are trying to stay faithful to Elder Scrolls lore' part was hilarious considering how they've cobbled together the alliances out of contiguous groups that were mortal enemies.   Got fit it into the mechanic!

Although I do find it funny;   folks have been bemoaning the lack of a DAoC style game, and here it is.   But the bemoaning is still a-going.  Me, I was more of an Elder Scrolls (Morrowind specific) fan, so my bemoaning is of a different flavor.

Id love to have a DAoC2. Id also love to have an Elder Scrolls MMO.

My problem is that Zenimax and Firor are tweaking and twisting Elder Scrolls to fit into a DAoC style game

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Id love to have a DAoC2. Id also love to have an Elder Scrolls MMO.

My problem is that Zenimax and Firor are tweaking and twisting Elder Scrolls to fit into a DAoC style game

Oh, I agree.   They are simplifying and twisting things for ease of development. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    gimme a beta pass!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by bbbb42
    theres a big flaw with their 3 faction pvp system, humans are the most popular race in any game it would have been easyer to balance individual faction pop if they had  let  people freely  pick race and faction or allowed all factions access to imperials

none human factions will have the lowest population

except the pvp zone has a poulation cap.  not unlike gw2.  each side has equal parts.  dur.