Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT goes ftp in Korea Nov 20

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/15/rift-going-f2p-in-korea-courting-wage-controversy-in-china/

You might recall that Trion exported its subscription-powered fantasy opus to Korea and China earlier this year, but now the former is offering up the first 49 levels of gameplay for free in an effort to "save sliding player numbers," according to a report at MMO Culture. The free-to-play version of RIFT Korea goes live on November 20th.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    woot, cant wait for NA transition too

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    If Rift went the more B2P route, where I could buy the key and then play the game without a sub, I'd be all over it. The game didn't hold enough interest for me to plop 15 per month down for, sadly.
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    If Rift went the more B2P route, where I could buy the key and then play the game without a sub, I'd be all over it. The game didn't hold enough interest for me to plop 15 per month down for, sadly.

exactly the reason i dont resub. I like the game but its not worth the sub for me

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

If thats not a contradiction then i don't know what is.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by rojo6934

exactly the reason i dont resub. I like the game but its not worth the sub for me

Well then you will be waiting for a long time. I don't think they will go F2P anytime soon.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195
    this will be not f2p - but some sort of free trial to lvl 49, I wish Rift stay sub based game, cause as someone already stated  "I earn too little money to play f2p games;)"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jawali
    this will be not f2p - but some sort of free trial to lvl 49, I wish Rift stay sub based game, cause as someone already stated  "I earn too little money to play f2p games;)"

this only for Korea

when a mmo is giving away 49 levels of their base game of 50 levels --- sounds ftp to me

not much different than SWTOR offering the first 50 levels for free

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by jawali

this only for Korea

when a mmo is giving away 49 levels of their base game of 50 levels --- sounds ftp to me

not much different than SWTOR offering the first 50 levels for free

well, max lvl is 60 (and many features are available at lvl 50+), as well they are not giving free expansion, so it differs a bit from SWTOR model

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

I don't see the contradiction....

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Well then you will be waiting for a long time. I don't think they will go F2P anytime soon.

its ok, as i have said in other threads, the only reason i would resub to Rift is if Trion ever decides to cater to people who roll many alts and actually play the game for the Lore and how it relates to each race. Since this doesnt happen i dont need to resub. That doesnt mean i dont like the game of course.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Seems like the beginning of the end. The game isn't horrible but it isn't that good either. 
  • IechinokIechinok Member UncommonPosts: 14

Believe it or not, this subject has already been discussed pretty thoroughly on several sites I've been through; surprising, since many people don't feel the need to admit they want to pay attention to Rift...

Anywho, the general concensus from what I've read and to paraphrase what Scott Hartman once mentioned is that Trion's basically extended the Rift Lite system for Korea, due to how Rift is catered largely toward a Western Market. As we all know, Koreans, or rather most of the Eastern market, like to play notoriously grindy games.  20 levels in an almost sonic-speed type leveling system that Rift has would be a small sitting for the Eastern market, as we might as well admit.

This combined with the fact that almost all of the more significant content is endgame, or 50+  (sadly), it would seem pretty logical to take a step like this in order to try to draw in more potential customers in the Eastern market.  This tactic, applied with the lure of expansion based content and souls, should be more than enough to get a decent rise out of the Eastern market in my opinion.

If I can find the link where Scott discussed expanding the Rift Lite system, I'll do my best to link it to you all.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Yet another reason to move to Korea.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Well, keep in mind that Korean players tend to be gear grinders (most of their games are based on it) and generally don't care about environment and story. Rushing to max level is the norm in gamers of that culture. All they're getting in Rift is a free tutorial.

As soon as they cap, they'll be clamoring for the grind and if they want to progress to 50 and beyond, they gotta pay.

It's a brilliant move on Trion's part, actually. gg

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Well, keep in mind that Korean players tend to be gear grinders (most of their games are based on it) and generally don't care about environment and story. Rushing to max level is the norm in gamers of that culture. All they're getting in Rift is a free tutorial.

As soon as they cap, they'll be clamoring for the grind and if they want to progress to 50 and beyond, they gotta pay.

It's a brilliant move on Trion's part, actually. gg

Actually the real reason that it's F2P is that A. Subs don't exist out there, take WoW for example and B. Rift is going up against WoW out there who clearly has the best raiding mechanics out there so Trion has to somehow entice people to at least try Rift.

Don't think for a second that they will apply a sub to the game and if they do then it'll flop out there.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Waybackwhen
    Seems like the beginning of the end. The game isn't horrible but it isn't that good either. 

Wasn't there a thread not long ago on how it was going to kick WoWs butt?.....Doesnt sound like they are doing much butt kicking

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

I don't see the contradiction....

Neither do I. MMOs that still charge monthly fees do it only out of greed. If a title like the AAA GW2 cand do it for a box price only, Any MMO can. And from what I have seen of both, GW2 > Rift like Gold > Fertilizer.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

If Rift went b2p or f2p and expanded that little cash shop, I'd bounce on the spot. Its hard for me to explain, but I just dont want my mmorpg to have that. I play mmos for very specific reasons that I would not hold other styles of games to. I will play pso2 and that is f2p with a cash shop and I know that sounds hypocrtical but that game is not my mmorpg. That probably doesn't make sense but thats the way it is for me heh.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    INTERESTING .get rift f2p here too :)
  • eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

]its ok, as i have said in other threads, the only reason i would resub to Rift is if Trion ever decides to cater to people who roll many alts and actually play the game for the Lore and how it relates to each race. Since this doesnt happen i dont need to resub. That doesnt mean i dont like the game of course.

Same thing here and of course to make mercenary an optional thing,I choose my faction based on lore and I don't want to play warfronts in enemy team.Of course it would have been much more lore friendly to allow faction changes after a long quest line like in eq2 too but they seem to care less about lore and rpg and more about the type of pvp players who come to mmos from fps games.Too bad the game went this way because the class system was interesting and it is one of the few games available with a bard class and without loading screens between areas.

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368

As a Lifetime sub in Lotro I used to not have a problem with FTP games with cash shops. Over time though I started to notice that more and more developed content went towards the cash shop and not into the game. Lotro is now a shell of its former self of when it first went FTP and everywhere you look in that game now is designed to get you to the cash shop.

Don't get me wrong I have no problems paying a company for content but the FTP system can be just as much or more than P2P games. If Rift went this FTP direction I would probably leave the game as well. B2P is basically just F2P with a 4 month sub up front which is smart for some developers as most people don't stay that long in MMO's anyway. 

I really wanted to like GW2 but these monthly events seem more like ways to push people to the cash shop which like every other game with a cash shop never seems to end well as the cash shop seems over time to get most of the developer attention. They added a cash shop interface in Rift and I am certainly curious as to what will be in there in the future. Only time will tell.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I want Rift to stay BTP. I think it's a great game and I don't want it and the community ruined because of a FTP change.

Hopefully, it's only going ftp over there because they are more welcoming to the ftp model than we are and it makes more business sense that way over there.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Rift wont go F2P anytime soon. Trion Already came out and said Rift makes more then enough to warrant P2P and with the Successful release oF SL F2P is worlds away. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation