Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Exploring the Fractals

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Yesterday, ArenaNet announced the coming addition of a new high-end dungeon for Guild Wars 2 called Fractals of the Mist. We take a look at Fractals in a brand new preview. Read on and then tell us what you think in the comments.

The Fractals of the Mists is a bit like ArenaNet’s “lesson learned” from the dungeons GW2 launched with.  There is no “explorable mode” or “story mode”: there is only “The Fractals”.  Essentially, the Asura have figured out a way to teleport people into different parts of the Mists (the fabric of time and space that holds Tyria together).  For the glory of research (and loot of course), players of any level can enter the Fractals and take part in a series of nine mini dungeons that are cycled at random and become more difficult as you progress.  Though you can enter at any level, the intended design is for level 80 players.  Loot scales for your level appropriately, as it does in WvW, so level 2 players shouldn’t expect to find any Ascended loot while doing the Fractals until they’re level 80. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: Exploring the Fractals.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I'm especially excited about Jade ocean fractal. One of the best areas in any game I've ever played.
  • arobiarobi Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Nice looking forward to this
  • JaggensJaggens Member Posts: 3

It does look like improvement in arenanet dungeon design.

Whole Fractals concept sounds like a big experiment to see whenever certain new mechanics will work (random environments, increasing difficulty and reward scaling, less tank'n'spank and more variety). I do hope that they made something different to current dungeon pool, which is 80% same boring stuff, and would take succesful components forth into new content.

• gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    thats funny my guild is also HOT, hammer of thor...>.> nice one bill =D
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

"The second run-through would have been a different story, and since the dungeon won’t reset for a week, if you beat the Maw once, the difficulty will remain boosted for the week."

Man, Anet is really trying hard to seperate the community with this new content. Add fusions as a new gate mechanism and than also freeze the difficulty you acheived for 1 week. So no going back to lower dificulties to help others or even join them if they missed the first run.

So the spam in LA will look like this the next weeks:

"LFG fractals level 1"

"lf2m fractals level 3"

"Anyone fractals level 2?"

"lf1m fractals, level 5, full ascend only, got guardian."

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66
    How they plan to individually track fractal progress seems like a nightmare.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    you can set the difficulty, please update this article with the correct information.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Anthur

"The second run-through would have been a different story, and since the dungeon won’t reset for a week, if you beat the Maw once, the difficulty will remain boosted for the week."

Man, Anet is really trying hard to seperate the community with this new content. Add fusions as a new gate mechanism and than also freeze the difficulty you acheived for 1 week. So no going back to lower dificulties to help others or even join them if they missed the first run.

"LFG fractals level 1"

"lf2m fractals level 3"

and now for the truth. you can set the difficulty scale when your group enters based on the highest common attained level of your group members.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/basics/complete-guide-fractals-mists

• wildwingwildwing Member Posts: 2
    when will it be accessable?
  • valerevalere Member Posts: 1
    Going to be interesting to watch how much this new armor tier will muck up the game.. The fractal system in of itself sounds pretty neat, but the introduction of a gear treadmill will spell doom for Anet..  Nomatter what they label or disguise it as, they should not have strafed from their design manifesto.
  • jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by BlueLantern

"LFG fractals level 1"

"lf2m fractals level 3"

and now for the truth. you can set the difficulty scale when your group enters based on the highest common attained level of your group members.

Anthur is correct.  Because the difficulty level is based on the lowest difficulty achieved in the group you will absolutely see people LFG with certain difficulty cut-offs.  People looking to progress will not be keen on continually running through the early difficulties with new PUG members.

As with most dungeons, this mechanic favours setting up a group that's willing to run a few evolutions in a row together, either on a static basis or at least a one-time commitment.  Hot-join PUGs will be tougher to form.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by jakin

Anthur is correct.  Because the difficulty level is based on the lowest difficulty achieved in the group you will absolutely see people LFG with certain difficulty cut-offs.  People looking to progress will not be keen on continually running through the early difficulties with new PUG members.

As with most dungeons, this mechanic favours setting up a group that's willing to run a few evolutions in a row together, either on a static basis or at least a one-time commitment.  Hot-join PUGs will be tougher to form.

Yea it might be a problem but at least it resets each week so on mondays everyone will be starting from lvl 1 anyways.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Really looking forward to it,sad its heading to gear grind
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Have fun guys. I'll get to experience all this after work, which is 10 hours from now...
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

"LFG fractals level 1"

"lf2m fractals level 3"

Which is exactly why people will be shouting for players currently on the same difficulty level or above.  Unlike the other guy, however, I don't have a problem with this.  

• FizbanFizbanFizbanFizban Member Posts: 6
    casual game, next one?
  • grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

This looks amazing, but there is one thing I am unsure of...

Does any other game have something that compares to this?

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Wonder how many will make it trough the final stage :)

Some dungeons where already harder then anything ive ever been in, dont like PvE, but i always check it out for some reason :P

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So these are not raids, but more top end dungeons?
  • Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

"LFG fractals level 1"

"lf2m fractals level 3"

Anthur is correct, but you might also see the opposite happen.  Once a group has reached upper tiers of difficulty and cant progress anymore (without expensive repair bills) they may want someone who can get them back into tier 1 so they can earn more of the special tokens etc..

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Tawn47

"LFG fractals level 1"

"lf2m fractals level 3"

Anthur is correct, but you might also see the opposite happen.  Once a group has reached upper tiers of difficulty and cant progress anymore (without expensive repair bills) they may want someone who can get them back into tier 1 so they can earn more of the special tokens etc..

I agree i like this system alot because saying noone will go back a level to help people is like saying people wont do story mode cause i doesnt help them but huge numbers of players will do story mode with people for a change of pace or to help them.

• silentkillahsilentkillah Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Ciccero

AS poorly thought out and ran as this past weekends event was, I have little faith in the gameholding me with any update anytime soon.

Don't let the door slam your ass on the way out. While I continue to collect for my Legendary. Finished up my world Completion. And spearheading Fractal level 26! Lot's for me to do and look forward too. I have 500 hours invested into this game and have plenty to look forward too from Arena Net.