Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I have no idea on how this is gonna end, but it seems interesteing, and I'm tired of the whole ' If people would support these types of games', then we would get them.  

I'm gong to go ahead and make a generous plegdge, and hopo for the best.  For those who also want to see this type of game, I encourage you to take a risk.  Who knows, we may finally get something we want.

and no, I have no affiliation with them, I'm just trying to be a bit proactive with my limited funds instead of just spending them on pap.

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Kenze

[mod edit]

Who knows honestly, but the huge budge folks don't seem to be getting it done :(

I self identify as a monkey.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

[mod edit]

the first mmo's were all like that and all game companies started like that. Many became large companies and successful games. Why must everyone think anything indie will suck and not be good. I would rather play indie game because the big wigs only care about your money. Hence the 300 crap mmo's released this past 6+ years from the rich dev teams.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

I agree, I'm tired of the same old shit so I put my money where my mouth is.

Their lead guy Jason seams like he actually cares and get what I have been looking for.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130

[mod edit]

If you look at the Kickstarter campaign, there are a lot of backers out there.  These people tend to be veteran players who are fed up with what developers have been dishing out all these years.  Finally, they see a game being developed with all the features which have been ignored by developers. They back it, and they back it in significant numbers. 

I would not call it a welfare game.  Its following is growing exponentially every day.  Instead, I would call it a revolutionary game.  Joe Public is rebelling against the gaming moguls and voting with his wallet for the features that have been denied to him for the past ten years. 

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Onomas

[mod edit]

the first mmo's were all like that and all game companies started like that. Many became large companies and successful games. Why must everyone think anything indie will suck and not be good. I would rather play indie game because the big wigs only care about your money. Hence the 300 crap mmo's released this past 6+ years from the rich dev teams.

Look at how good The Repopulation is going and they are indie. That game is going to be awesome! Cannot wait! Sometimes imo Indie is better because they do not have a publisher breathing down thier throat to release an unfinished game.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It looks interesting but I'm not dropping a dime until I see some in-game combat video.

These kickstarters are fine but the problem is everyone and their dog is doing it and these projects don't always deliver on their promises.

Edit:

I learned my lesson from Xsyon.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Spider3Spider3 Member Posts: 33

The big difference between other games and Greed Monger is that is not developped from a big company and as you said, the devs really cares about the wishes of the community.

Of course this game is not for everyone. People who likes themes park mmorpg will give for sure a bad feedback or not enough attention to GM.

This is for old UO Nostalgic and for everyone who wants to enjoy a Sandbox mmorpg.

The community is extreme active and the devs are listening to all the request answering as soon as possible, they are obisously so busy with the programming.

KS Campaign is having a big success and project is founded. And also we won't neeed to wait YEARS to play, a beta will be out probably in April, even if I suppose this is really a short term and 1-2 months more could be needed.

Personally it's the first time I'm so much confided to put a big pledge on a KS Project because this community and this world is being created by player and devs together, and I really trust in this project.

Meantime I keep playing to UO to keep me busy ;)

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I would rather donate to a game like this and have it not work out.... than buy the next AAA themepark and be disappointed after 1 week.

Crafting is really important to me also in any mmo. Combine the fact that this is a crafting mmo with the fact we can purchase an develop our own land with buildings or farming fields is epic. And I also like the fact that I can go hunt for crafting materials by killing wildlife, or if I want to I can go pvp in the armor I made.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Originally posted by Zekiah

It looks interesting but I'm not dropping a dime until I see some in-game combat video.

These kickstarters are fine but the problem is everyone and their dog is doing it and these projects don't always deliver on their promises.

Edit:

Part of Xsyon problem is they went after a niche of a niche.  They went for the ffapvp sandbox people only.  GM is the first quality looking sandbox that doesn't arrogantly think that sandbox = ffapvp and if you think otherwise we don't want you.

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

This thread has been a very good read and I greatly appreciate the support.

I just brought on another programmer to the team last night who has a lot of experience in AAA games and he has validated that we are on the right track in our development so far with some changes to be made to how we handle our housing models and limiting draw calls.

We are also planning the use of a brand new character creation system never before used in a game as it hasn't been released yet! The developer of the system loves what we are doing with Greed Monger and wants to showcase his system in Greed Monger once his negotiations with Unity are completed in the next few days. I'm VERY excited about this. You will be too once you've seen what I have. :)

Overall, things are moving in the right direction. I would like to make a correction though, as we are targeting an April Alpha Phase for Kickstarter Backers only. The beta wont be scheduled until we have feedback from the backers and have had time to make changes, additions etc based on the Alpha feedback.

Originally, Greed Monger was planned as a side project I would fund and have people work on in their spare time over a year or two and due to Kickstarters sucess, I'm able to hire full time team members to really knock this out of the park. Once the campaign has ended and the full team is working full time, you will see a LOT of new videos and screenshots.

The benefit of a game like Greed Monger is, developers are just as excited to be a part of the project as the players wanting to play it, for the same reasons. We all want to fill the void left wide open in the market for something we've all experienced so long ago and have yet to find again. Because of this, I've been blessed with very talented people who are working for less than their normal scales just to be a part of this.

Thank you all for your continued support.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am also waiting for this game but I will not be making any kind of pledges as that goes against free market principles. If they want my investement then they need to offer stocks in their company. That is how the market works and not through charity donations (unless they are a charity).

However I might pre-order it once I get more solid info about the game and its release date.

• LuckySvennLuckySvenn Member Posts: 2
    When you pledge to a kickstarter program it IS like you're pre-ordering. Depending on how much you want to pledge gets you different pre-order perks/extra goodies. Especially after the game has already been funded.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Venger

Edit:

Part of Xsyon problem is they went after a niche of a niche.  They went for the ffapvp sandbox people only.  GM is the first quality looking sandbox that doesn't arrogantly think that sandbox = ffapvp and if you think otherwise we don't want you.

I always love the all-exclusive "we don't want you" responses, makes me chuckle.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• chorizo110chorizo110 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Yamota

I am also waiting for this game but I will not be making any kind of pledges as that goes against free market principles. If they want my investement then they need to offer stocks in their company. That is how the market works and not through charity donations (unless they are a charity).

However I might pre-order it once I get more solid info about the game and its release date.

The difference between "how the (your) market works" and a usual kickstarter campaingn is called investment.

Its not like you do a donation, your money is usualy not a gift to the developers of a project/game.

Instead you look at different projects and if you feel one of them should be supported/backed(!) you back it.

In the case of greedmonger and many other projects on kickstarter you will get a lot more for your money and your trust (=investment) during the kickstartercampaign (=Investment phase) then you might get at time of release.

There is the possibility a game might never be released (investment risks) but thats up to you (the investor) to judge if you trust the project enough and if its worth the risk.

So i wouldn't say backing up a project is against how free market works, it just uses other words.

• LuckySvennLuckySvenn Member Posts: 2

Edit:

I don't think we should turn away our brothers of ffapvp, as much as I think we should let them see that things are just as good without it.

• thatkenguythatkenguy Member Posts: 58
    Umm, figured I would chime in here, this game has never been planned for Free For All Player Versus Player.  There are free PVP zones, big ones, but the developers have said that their proportion will be 1:4 where the larger number of zones will be PvE.  The PVP zones are quite large so you will not feel like you are in a zoo overpacked with predators.  The main draw for the PvP crowd will not be the killing of each other so much as the better resources that are found in these zones.  So, if you consider human nature, there will be fighting.
  • chorizo110chorizo110 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by LuckySvenn

Edit:

I don't think we should turn away our brothers of ffapvp, as much as I think we should let them see that things are just as good without it.

GM has ffapvp. Just not everywhere. It has its own pvp region/climate.

• kalistikalisti Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by xDayx

I would rather donate to a game like this and have it not work out.... than buy the next AAA themepark and be disappointed after 1 week.

I absolutely agree... I have wasted thousands of dollars over the years, and got nothing for them but repetition, annoyance, or sheer boredom.

The GM folks are using the right technologies to accomplish their goals with a small team. Will they probably use 3rd party assets for the game? Yes. But who cares about that? It is easy to throw money at graphics and all that. But innovated, interesting game play comes from intelligent, original design, and openess to the MMO community.

The AAA companies have a lock on the traditional game market, and they only tread a safe, known path. But it has become the path of boredom, sequels, and a graphics race. Enough of all of that already. The time for the graphics race is over; let's have a game play race instead.

Kickstarter has given the players power we never had before. I support games big and small there, and even if not all of them get off the ground, at least I will feel like I am putting my money where my complaining mouth is, and backing the possibility of real change.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by xDayx

Crafting is really important to me also in any mmo. Combine the fact that this is a crafting mmo with the fact we can purchase an develop our own land with buildings or farming fields is epic. And I also like the fact that I can go hunt for crafting materials by killing wildlife, or if I want to I can go pvp in the armor I made.

And i would much rather read and reserach the AAA games out now, and make an informed BUYING decision, then buying a promise.

I have never been disappointed by a AAA game after 1 week .. because i already did my research first.

And why would you give money when it is not 100% certain there will be a product? Even if i like the description of this game (which i don't), i won't spend a cent on kickstarter.

It may fall apart and no game is produced. It may be buggy. It may change from the original design. 1000 things can go wrong. The prudent way is to wait till there is a game, then decide whether to buy.

+1 for you Kalisti, you definitely have a good and open-minded point of view.

nariusseldon, you are also right about this. But tell me, are you SURE there IS on the market what some players are looking for?

I spent WEEKS to check the new mmorpg, to ask in forums, to play trials and free games hunting the feeling Ultima Onlien gave me. Well, i'm not the only one saying there is NO valid alternatives.

Therefore I don't see any other valid option other than helping the people who are aiming to create what is missing on the market nowdays.

Originally posted by Spider3

nariusseldon, you are also right about this. But tell me, are you SURE there IS on the market what some players are looking for?

I spent WEEKS to check the new mmorpg, to ask in forums, to play trials and free games hunting the feeling Ultima Onlien gave me. Well, i'm not the only one saying there is NO valid alternatives.

Therefore I don't see any other valid option other than helping the people who are aiming to create what is missing on the market nowdays.

If you want ultima online, you are of course out of luck. But the point is that there are many alternatives to current games.

Day Z is a good example. It is even free. How about Darkfall? The point is that you should not limit your search to those games labelled as MMOs.

Now if you claim that you did not find anything interest you .. that i won't disagree .. since everyone has different taste. But to say that all games are the same, and there are no alternatives .. is just not true. Note that new, indie efforts still may not be what you want.

And even then, if i were you, i won't give a dime to kickstarter. MMO is not the only entertainment, isn't it? You can always find alternative entertainment if you cannot find MMOs that you like.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

at this point the only way to get your dream mmo is by getting a dregree in gaming development and join an mmo company and work hard enough to wither become the head of the company or open your own studio. That way you can make the game you really want.

Other than that its not going to happen. These are dark times of greed. Devs wont listen to us, if we dont pay for what they think we might like then after failing they will try to force us to pay for it before failing harder.

Originally posted by rojo6934

at this point the only way to get your dream mmo is by getting a dregree in gaming development and join an mmo company and work hard enough to wither become the head of the company or open your own studio. That way you can make the game you really want.

Other than that its not going to happen. These are dark times of greed. Devs wont listen to us, if we dont pay for what they think we might like then after failing they will try to force us to pay for it before failing harder.

That is a lot of work for nothing but entertainment.

When i look at what is available today on the market (and not just MMOs, but games, movies ..) there are plenty of entertainment i can enjoy.

I think it is not very efficient to try to create entertainment yourself, and not efficient to enjoy nothing but the most perfect "dream" game.

Devs don't listen .. i think that is the opposite. Look at WOW. Players complains encounters too difficult and everythign is nerfed.

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Spider3

If you want ultima online, you are of course out of luck. But the point is that there are many alternatives to current games.

Day Z is a good example. It is even free. How about Darkfall? The point is that you should not limit your search to those games labelled as MMOs.

Now if you claim that you did not find anything interest you .. that i won't disagree .. since everyone has different taste. But to say that all games are the same, and there are no alternatives .. is just not true. Note that new, indie efforts still may not be what you want.

And even then, if i were you, i won't give a dime to kickstarter. MMO is not the only entertainment, isn't it? You can always find alternative entertainment if you cannot find MMOs that you like.

The beauty of it is that he is NOT out of luck.  There is an alternative to what many people are looking for and that alternative is Greed Monger.  Perhaps it is not an alternative for you and thats ok, but for those of us who are looking for a UO inspired game with all the features that developers have ignored for years, GM is a breeze of fresh air.

Rheanon you hit the spot!

I wanted a game with non instanced housing, skills, where TRUE rares or UNIQUE items can be found, where economy is run by player and there is no cash shop or cold auction house. where social life in-game matters and people need each other to reach their goals in a sandbox full of possibilities.

After all my Analysis, there was NOTHING (released in the last years) satisfying this.

Upcoming games with similar features:

Archage
     The Origins of Malu
     Greedmonger
     Everquest:Next
     Pathfinder Online

Why I picked Greed Monger? As I said, because I was impressed of the community and how devs and players are working together on a daily basis.

And of course, noone can guarantee this game will be a success and at the end will be as I really want. But now there a lot of people people discussing on the GM forums and on the #GreedMonger IRC channel, everyone is seeking more or less the concept of this sandbox and proposing all the strategy and game mechanics, working together to find the best way to satisfy everyone.

I don't have the time nor the skill to create my own MMORPG, so I follow what I think it's going to satisfy me at most. And I really trust in this project ;)