Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glitch: Tiny Speck Closes Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Tiny Speck has announced that Glitch will be permanently shutting down on December 9th, with forums available through the end of 2012. According to the official post, Glitch did not attract a large enough audience to become financially viable thus leading to the closure.

Unfortunately, Glitch has not attracted an audience large enough to sustain itself and based on a long period of experimentation and our best estimates, it seems unlikely that it ever would. And, given the prevailing technological trends — the movement towards mobile and especially the continued decline of the Flash platform on which Glitch was built — it was unlikely to do so before its time was up. Glitch was very ambitious and pushed the limits of what could be done in a browser-based game ... and then those limits pushed back.

Read the full announcement and the FAQ on the Glitch site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LuxatriaLuxatria Member Posts: 25
    So sad. I loved this game. I wish they would at least attempt a kick starter or donation pool. I know people would love to help keep it alive.
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Real shame, but I can see that the game wasn't for everybody. I have to ask though in a world where games like Rappelz can still stay above water why is there no room for inovative games like Glitch? Begining to apreciate why developers don't take risks on anything a bit diferent.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    This news ruined my evening last night.  If they could have somehow ported this game to mobile, it would have flourished.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Never played this game but it had weird trailers that were very unique and music that got inside in your head ^ - ^ Thats what the game was about though from what I can tell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKVz00Idg1s

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    well thats sad. I guess I will never be a master chef now.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Gonna miss this game :(
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    There was something really great about glitch.  Can't put my finger on it, but I agree with an above poster.... it needed a mobile/tablet client.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    This is probably the first time I've seen a game shutting down on this site and I've never heard or seen ANYTHING about it before.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    This game had a really unique appeal to it, and I enjoyed it.. for a few days.  The problem was essentially the same as with so many other MMOs.  It didn't offer much of anything to do longterm.  The biggest thing you could do was buy a house, but that should have been more of a beginning than an end.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

well guess a "invite" only system and NEVER sending out keys to a large group that signed on to try the game in the first place does kill youre game .. lol  ..this is the most stupit "dint had to end" of a game ever.

Once initial intrest "but cant join yet"  is checked out people move on to things they Can play and forget aqbout games whitout PR.

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Real shame, but I can see that the game wasn't for everybody. I have to ask though in a world where games like Rappelz can still stay above water why is there no room for inovative games like Glitch? Begining to apreciate why developers don't take risks on anything a bit diferent.

God, this so much I don't get how so many bad Asian games can run for ages while innovative new and different things like Glitch crash :

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         Just started playing this a couple of days ago......Oh well another one bites the dust.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Wow that is incredible!! 

Incredible how much work and effort went into creating something so totally....?Bizarre!!??

I think that is the first trailer for a game that I have watched where I absolutely know there is no way I would ever have played it!  What were they thinking?

Creepy , just creepy! 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Nyxx0925Nyxx0925 Member Posts: 1

I am so sad reading this.  I'm not a programmer, but I do hope they'll consider reprogramming this for mobile.  It's a great game and I do believe it would thrive in the mobile setting.

Glitch is creative and innovative.  I don't understand why it didn't do well while other games seem to do amazingly well (that shouldn't).  

I think the invite system maybe had something to do with it, too... :(

This has upset my Friday.  

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Tiny Speck has announced that Glitch will be permanently shutting down on December 9th, with forums available through the end of 2012. According to the official post, Glitch did not attract a large enough audience to become financially viable thus leading to the closure.

Unfortunately, Glitch has not attracted an audience large enough to sustain itself and based on a long period of experimentation and our best estimates, it seems unlikely that it ever would. And, given the prevailing technological trends — the movement towards mobile and especially the continued decline of the Flash platform on which Glitch was built — it was unlikely to do so before its time was up. Glitch was very ambitious and pushed the limits of what could be done in a browser-based game ... and then those limits pushed back.

Read the full announcement and the FAQ on the Glitch site.

I can see why...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

Let's have a game in beta and then take it out of beta and sell subs.  Then let's put it back in beta and tell everyone who has misgivings about this they can have full refunds.  Then, let's do nothing with publicity thereafter and be shocked the game fails hard.

Wonderful game.  Too bad.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    With a name like that I'm not surprised. Hey, I know, Let's name our game after something that people have come to hate!!!!!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
       I didnt play for very long but I dont remember ever seeing how they made any money??....It wasnt like playing a SOE game where you got a popup asking you to sub every ten minutes.