Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P the way it should have been

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Let's start with the obvious:

The actual model for TOR F2P system is miss which hits a summit with making people pay for UI elements like quick slot bars.

Now here's how the model should have been designed:

• Provide all the tools needed to enjoy the content to the player for free.
  • Have first steps of the story element free for all the classes.
  • Do not restict players on basic choices (Ex: allow players to create only 2 characters but with any of the species for free).
  • Set a very low fee for purchaseable item, consumables.
  • Do not restrict some items to the random packs only

The main idea driving the system would be hook the players in game with all the bells and whistles and have them pay for convenience items, quests hubs and fluff like pets, new gear skins/meshes. For the PvP, Operations, space missions have them (eventually) unlock them by bracket levels with a one time purchase.

Make sure not to set the pricing too high and here's where the real trick kicks in.

Have the pricing model setting the prices so low that players won't even feel like spending money at all.

While the quests hubs could be in the $5 range all the rest should be under $1

Recommending a piece of gear @ $0.90, no more and  consumables $0.10-$0.15

You want players to feel spoiled. This way you'll get more money by having hundred of thousands people spending happily a few bucks than trying to milk players with the actual fees. Also think about the word of mouth you would get: free advertizing = more customers

For prices set at  $0.10, $0.90 people will hardly hesitate before buying stuff at all, in the end spending much more than with a more obvious rip-off system.

All in all think coke not Ferrari.

D.

Comments

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

The SWTOR freemium FTP option is horrible on purpose.

The FTP option is not horribly restrictive in an attempt to get new players to subscribe, it is to prevent subscribers from taking up the FTP option.

So why bother?

1) EA no longer has to report subscription numbers.

2) Oh look, a subscription game with a cash shop. Since EA can't get new subscribers, they hope to make more mone per subscriber via cash shop purchases; content, consumables, and vanity items. As the game looses more subscribers, the cash shop will seek to generate more revenue by offering "new exciting gear"; and the game will drift further and further into Pay To Win territory untill there is 1 US server and 1 European server with a thousand players on each spending $150 a month to play (what I used to do with Kener toys) Star Wars with each other till the plug gets pulled.

Or maybe something a little less doomsday, but not by much.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

F2P = We are desperate for people to play our game.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

The FTP option is not horribly restrictive in an attempt to get new players to subscribe, it is to prevent subscribers from taking up the FTP option.

So why bother?

2) Oh look, a subscription game with a cash shop. Since EA can't get new subscribers, they hope to make more mone per subscriber via cash shop purchases; content, consumables, and vanity items. As the game looses more subscribers, the cash shop will seek to generate more revenue by offering "new exciting gear"; and the game will drift further and further into Pay To Win territory untill there is 1 US server and 1 European server with a thousand players on each spending $150 a month to play (what I used to do with Kener toys) Star Wars with each other till the plug gets pulled.

Also so EA can get out of the LA/Disney clause because of a lack of popularity.

If the game fails then EA gets removed from obligations.  This game is losing money by the day (less than 500k subscribers), and EA wants out.  Make the F2P (Freemium) so abhorrant that many will play, few will pay.  Game goes in the red.

Deal with Lucas is ended.

EA needs a nice paper record of how they tried to make this game successful.  It will all be important in court hearings when they cut the cords on this game.

And look at how they tried.  They did try.  Whether or not everyone else knew it would fail is immaterial.

Side Note:  EA didn't add an extra hotbar because fans wanted it.  They added it because the media got involved, and they wanted to keep a good paper trail of responsiveness.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Deewe

Let's start with the obvious:

The actual model for TOR F2P system is miss which hits a summit with making people pay for UI elements like quick slot bars.

Now here's how the model should have been designed:

• Provide all the tools needed to enjoy the content to the player for free.
    • Have first steps of the story element free for all the classes.
    • Do not restict players on basic choices (Ex: allow players to create only 2 characters but with any of the species for free).
    • Set a very low fee for purchaseable item, consumables.
    • Do not restrict some items to the random packs only

The main idea driving the system would be hook the players in game with all the bells and whistles and have them pay for convenience items, quests hubs and fluff like pets, new gear skins/meshes. For the PvP, Operations, space missions have them (eventually) unlock them by bracket levels with a one time purchase.

Make sure not to set the pricing too high and here's where the real trick kicks in.

Have the pricing model setting the prices so low that players won't even feel like spending money at all.

While the quests hubs could be in the $5 range all the rest should be under $1

Recommending a piece of gear @ $0.90, no more and  consumables $0.10-$0.15

You want players to feel spoiled. This way you'll get more money by having hundred of thousands people spending happily a few bucks than trying to milk players with the actual fees. Also think about the word of mouth you would get: free advertizing = more customers

For prices set at  $0.10, $0.90 people will hardly hesitate before buying stuff at all, in the end spending much more than with a more obvious rip-off system.

All in all think coke not Ferrari.

D.

i really dont see anything wrong with it .if they get pvp right than i am even ready to pay 20 dollars a month

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by lotaparty

i really dont see anything wrong with it .if they get pvp right than i am even ready to pay 20 dollars a month

People are ready to spend 15$ (even more) for a great game.

People werent ready to spend 15$ on SWTOR.

Since nothing changed in SWTOR people will still not spend money on SWTOR.

Them scamming people into buying UI elements will not make more people like and play the game. Quite opposite.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

F2P is the worst thing that could ever happen to gaming. Less qualitity, less quantity....but hey, at least its free.

I will gladly pay for any game that deserves it. And SWTor deserved it for the first 4 months. F2P is like an acknowledgement of creating such a bad game, that noone will pay for it.

Hodor!

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    What does that make games like TF2 (Yes, I know it's not an MMO, but that game seems to be doing just fine)?

I had a god laugh when i saw the prices in CC.

Just for comparison:

LOTRO full expansion RoR: 40$ (you could get it this weekend in ingame store for 30$)

RIFT full expansion SL: 40$

SWTOR pack of few daily quests: 27$

ahahahahahahahahahhaah

Anyoe thinks they greately overrate their game?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Originally posted by Karteli

So why bother?

If the game fails then EA gets removed from obligations.  This game is losing money by the day (less than 500k subscribers), and EA wants out.  Make the F2P (Freemium) so abhorrant that many will play, few will pay.  Game goes in the red.

EA needs a nice paper record of how they tried to make this game successful.  It will all be important in court hearings when they cut the cords on this game.

And look at how they tried.  They did try.  Whether or not everyone else knew it would fail is immaterial.

Side Note:  EA didn't add an extra hotbar because fans wanted it.  They added it because the media got involved, and they wanted to keep a good paper trail of responsiveness.

Exactly what I said before.

To EA this game is already dead!  They want to get rid of it and burry it deep under the ground and try forget it ever happened.

Now, due to contract obligations and clausules they cannot just pull the plug, or they would have done so already last summer.

So, they have to find a way to make people quit and let the game die as fast as possible, so they can end the contract and shut the game down.

This whole F2P model reeks of a scheme like this. EA's attempt to accelerate this game's demise.

• lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59
    ACTUALLY IT'S NOT TOO BAD, BECAUSE U CCAN BUY ALL THE THINGS (EVEN THE WEEKLY PASS OR ATFICANT UNLOCK.......) ON THE GTN
    Originally posted by lucasdeis
    ACTUALLY IT'S NOT TOO BAD, BECAUSE U CCAN BUY ALL THE THINGS (EVEN THE WEEKLY PASS OR ATFICANT UNLOCK.......) ON THE GTN

No probs then, when game goes live today ill just log in and buy everything i want on GTN.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Do they sell case filters?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by mikahr

No probs then, when game goes live today ill just log in and buy everything i want on GTN.

I believe there is a 3 day cooldown or something when you buy something on the cartel to when you can sell it.

Also, we need more patting of each other on the back on how much you all hate this!

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    What does that make games like TF2 (Yes, I know it's not an MMO, but that game seems to be doing just fine)?

That actually makes TF2 a shooter. I dont care for shooters, since they are quite a narrow and dumb type of game imho.

Hodor!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Karteli

So why bother?

Exactly what I said before.

To EA this game is already dead!  They want to get rid of it and burry it deep under the ground and try forget it ever happened.

Now, due to contract obligations and clausules they cannot just pull the plug, or they would have done so already last summer.

So, they have to find a way to make people quit and let the game die as fast as possible, so they can end the contract and shut the game down.

This whole F2P model reeks of a scheme like this. EA's attempt to accelerate this game's demise.

Sounds crazy that a company would deliberately fail their game, but... the reasoning behind it does seem to have a certain amount of credence, i don't doubt that the game is hurting EA's bottom line, and they do have a history of closing down MMO's that didnt meet financial goals etc, so could this be a backdoor method of dumping the game and getting out of paying LA/Disney penalty fees.. .. maybe..  there is only one thing that is certain though, F2P mode will only drive the paying players away, not that there are that many left these days. image

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    I know that this is going to come as a shock, but this wasn't made for the vast majority of the users of this site.  Almost everyone here has stated that they wouldn't touch this game again no matter what they did to it so why would they even bother with doing something that you would approve of.  
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by gwei1984
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

That actually makes TF2 a shooter. I dont care for shooters, since they are quite a narrow and dumb type of game imho.

TF2 is a totally free game on steam, you can buy things if you want, mostly cosmetic, but it wouldnt make any difference if you didnt ever buy anything, TF2 also does not use up resources as the servers are usually private/public which can be rented etc from 3rd parties. There is no comparison between TF2 and SW;TOR, TF2 does not have persistent worlds etc, and doesnt require the owning company to maintain server farms of any kind, let alone bandwidth to support a playerbase.image

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    one of the most hyped games in MMO history; and many commented back in beta the game will end up F2P, but not so soon after release

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    I saw today cartel market, it is great for us subscribers and for f2p players i don't really care.  Servers are merged and  full and i hope we don't  get with f2p option troll invasion on general chat. SWTOR is best mmo on the market and with new patch it will shine for another year. I have blast in this game like never before and EU comunity is awesome and always ready to help. Tried on US server but there is a different story, it looks that game is much more popular in Europe and players are much more polite
  • ElminsterElminster Member UncommonPosts: 28

Basically what they have done here, is what what companies like Turbine have done, and that is to take a franchise like Star Wars, make it a f2p game and added a cash store, i.e. the cartel shop, and added a reward system for those who remain subscribers, i.e. te mothly alottment of cartel coins. Turbine has a couple of games, DDO and LOTRO that are fairly successful and they follow this model.

Personally, I believe, and correctly so, that it was only going to be a matter of time before SWTOR went f2p. This is going to be a good thing for SWTOR, because it will allow people who wanted to play initially to experiance what the game has to offer, without the pressure of making a commitment. 

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Elminster

Basically what they have done here, is what what companies like Turbine have done, and that is to take a franchise like Star Wars, make it a f2p game and added a cash store, i.e. the cartel shop, and added a reward system for those who remain subscribers, i.e. te mothly alottment of cartel coins. Turbine has a couple of games, DDO and LOTRO that are fairly successful and they follow this model.

Personally, I believe, and correctly so, that it was only going to be a matter of time before SWTOR went f2p. This is going to be a good thing for SWTOR, because it will allow people who wanted to play initially to experiance what the game has to offer, without the pressure of making a commitment. 

I concur.

Driz

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    I look at the current freemium model, as I will not call it free to play, and I have to wonder if sto lost a ferengi some where as this sure looks like a ferengi running a business as it sure applies to the ferengi rules of business.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Elminster

What they have done is put a bunch of limitations on the game with hopes that folks will sub up,as the cost of free to play is to hight.

Sure folks stayed with lotro, I gave up on the game after it went free to play.  Somewhere on brandywine server in the town of Bree is my lore master sitting there begging for alms.

I would be tome folks will play it and not pay a dime, but for those who really want to play the game they will be forced to sub, or pay a ton in unlocks.

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317
    The problem with all of the "f2p" threads is that the subscription model they use doesn't matter. The game is bad, and the game needs to be fixed, not how people pay for it.
  • AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

Many of you are woefully ignorant of how SWTOR's f2p will work. I don't think some of you have heard of preferred status and how that removes many of the limitations you are complaining about. How does one get preferred status. Simple, be a former subscriber, or buy any amount of cartel coins.

In spite of the haters, SWTOR is a great game, and  F2P is going to be good for it.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.