Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet answers to all this forum whining ;) it's on official GW2 forums

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Anaba77

Well, this guy is talking about no treadmill and that new gear will be available from more content (new and old) so it doesn't feel a grind.

For me that's an answer and tbh I hate it when ppl whine before content is released.

/my 2 cents

I don't care about the content. I care if there will be new gear after ascended that will be required to do future content. And it doesn't answer anything because 

" We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features." 

This could mean anything! It could mean more gear, it could be Ascended armor with future upgrades that can placed into that slot. I want to know what they exactly plan! 

And like my edit says. ITS NOT ABOUT THE CONTENT.  I care about direction!

you talk as if theres a huge difference in all of the gear. Seriously...go look at the stats on each tier of gear. It's like a 2 point difference on each. Lets be realistic here. I've been wearing lvl 60 cultural armor forever and I'm level 80 now....Is my gear outdated? Nope the stat difference between it and the level 80 cultural are stupid minimal and not worth me spending 20+ gold on the next set. You sound like someone who wants the next shiny thing because its new and slightly better. I'd be willing to bet that if Apple released the iPhone 7 right now you'd buy it without even considering the differences between it and the current revision of iPhone that you currently have(it's slightly thinner...congrats).

It doesn't matter how much better the gear is. It matters if they added better than ascended gear, in stats, in the next update and if Ascended gear is needed to even have a chance at doing the next content update. Thats the issue. Thats the reason I dont play games like WoW. I hate gear treadmills. GW2 wasn't suppose to have them. 

Also, your math is wrong. Once the entire set, and entire set of ascended armor will be nearly 40% better than an entire set of Exotics. Futhermoe, its currently 5 points better, not two.  

Oh wow, five points, I better rush out and get some redbull. I'll need to pull several all nighters to get that stuff! Seriously dude, calm your britches. Chances are, no you wont and if you do...you'll already have it by some odd means. I'd be willing to bet that Anet will hand you an ascended ring for shits and giggles. This is no different than getting ascended in GW1. You talked to some dude in a mission and bam. Sure you had to work to get there, but it took little time/effort. The ascension was needed to fight the mursaat and it had a viable purpose. It wasn't some "you need this to compete in PvP" or "you need this to enter this zone and live" bull crap that you're probably worried about.

it took me no time at all to get exotics and will take no time to get this new gear as well. I didn't even lose sleep over that stuff. And what's so wrong about having something that's needed to fight a certain enemy. Would you fly to the middle east with a butter knife and ask to fight insurgents? No you'd probably want to bring a gun or maybe a few of them and a tank. Theres a process to purchasing a gun - getting the liscense - concealed carry - etc.

Honestly I see this as being no different from GW1 and the mursaat.

10% increase per slot (and 30% in the main stat).

The ring and the back piece only is FOR NOW.

And you think the players looking for progression will besatisfied forever with ascendant?

"I was bored because I had full exotics in 1 week, but getting ascendant in 2 weeks really sacieted my desire for progression forever."

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

i just remember these GW2 people "we dont want virtual worlds " "its just a game"

If theres +100 int or wisdom items or fireballs does 10,000 damage ,who cares ? "its just a game"

who cares if  i can do 10 damage and my enemy can do 50,000 damage,who cares its just a game not virtual world.

Let's internet

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Well, until ArenaNet addresses the 'elephant in the room' this type of thread will continue to flourish.  

If the whole 'cosmetic only' gear progression wasn't working, fine - just admit it.  It's one thing to change the game - it's another to give a hogwash reason for it, 'Oh, people needed something to do between exotics and legendaries" - if that's all it was, then why the stats?  Why create 'gated' content that can only be completed with a particular set of gear?  What's the REAL reason?  I have no problem with the change - I just would like to hear some actual honest answers as to why barely a couple months of the game a major philosophy was changed.

Personally, I'm fine with the changes - but these little statements 'addressing' the changes seem much more like 'PR' speak that doesn't really address anything instead of actual honesty.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Well, this guy is talking about no treadmill and that new gear will be available from more content (new and old) so it doesn't feel a grind.

For me that's an answer and tbh I hate it when ppl whine before content is released.

/my 2 cents

I don't care about the content. I care if there will be new gear after ascended that will be required to do future content. And it doesn't answer anything because 

" We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features." 

This could mean anything! It could mean more gear, it could be Ascended armor with future upgrades that can placed into that slot. I want to know what they exactly plan! 

you talk as if theres a huge difference in all of the gear. Seriously...go look at the stats on each tier of gear. It's like a 2 point difference on each. Lets be realistic here. I've been wearing lvl 60 cultural armor forever and I'm level 80 now....Is my gear outdated? Nope the stat difference between it and the level 80 cultural are stupid minimal and not worth me spending 20+ gold on the next set. You sound like someone who wants the next shiny thing because its new and slightly better. I'd be willing to bet that if Apple released the iPhone 7 right now you'd buy it without even considering the differences between it and the current revision of iPhone that you currently have(it's slightly thinner...congrats).

It doesn't matter how much better the gear is. It matters if they added better than ascended gear, in stats, in the next update and if Ascended gear is needed to even have a chance at doing the next content update. Thats the issue. Thats the reason I dont play games like WoW. I hate gear treadmills. GW2 wasn't suppose to have them. 

Also, your math is wrong. Once the entire set, and entire set of ascended armor will be nearly 40% better than an entire set of Exotics. Futhermoe, its currently 5 points better, not two.  

Oh wow, five points, I better rush out and get some redbull. I'll need to pull several all nighters to get that stuff! Seriously dude, calm your britches. Chances are, no you wont and if you do...you'll already have it by some odd means. I'd be willing to bet that Anet will hand you an ascended ring for shits and giggles. This is no different than getting ascended in GW1. You talked to some dude in a mission and bam. Sure you had to work to get there, but it took little time/effort. The ascension was needed to fight the mursaat and it had a viable purpose. It wasn't some "you need this to compete in PvP" or "you need this to enter this zone and live" bull crap that you're probably worried about.

it took me no time at all to get exotics and will take no time to get this new gear as well. I didn't even lose sleep over that stuff. And what's so wrong about having something that's needed to fight a certain enemy. Would you fly to the middle east with a butter knife and ask to fight insurgents? No you'd probably want to bring a gun or maybe a few of them and a tank. Theres a process to purchasing a gun - getting the liscense - concealed carry - etc.

Honestly I see this as being no different from GW1 and the mursaat.

10% increase per slot (and 30% in the main stat).

The ring and the back piece only is FOR NOW.

And you think the players looking for progression will besatisfied forever with ascendant?

"I was bored because I had full exotics in 1 week, but getting ascendant in 2 weeks really sacieted my desire for progression forever."

Full exotic in 1 week? Must suck not having a life other than gaming, I would be bored too

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

/my 2 cents

snip

The problem is I don't know if it stops here. I played GW1 for years becaue I hate gear treadmills. When they added that aspect in, you didn't get better armor stat wise for adding it to your armor. You simply could complete those missions easier. ANET choose to add higher stats to placate the "I NEED TO BE MORE POWERFUL!" crowd. Their response doesn't say if this will be the last time they add im better.

Again you're speaking as though the satat difference is huge. I could understand if we were talking about new gear in Aion, where the stats mattered and the new gear was DEFINITELY better than the old. But honestly. 5 points, bro, 5 points. if losing 7 less hp matters THAT much to you then something is wrong with this picture. And it's doubtful Anet will continue this trend. Look at their track record: Factions: they added new classes, new continent, new quests, missions, and exploreable areas. New gear that was equal in quality to the old gear but for all classes (including the new classes).

Nightfall: same thing...and added some new features to the game as well.

Eye of the North: no new classes, but new gear added. Mostly for cosmetics and no stat difference between it and the old gear. Though I'd bet that if they added new gear that was on par stat for stat with the current gear you'd complain that it wasn't worth going for...

See orange. Also that if ANET doesn't use these mechanics to gate content then I'll be happy. If new content is simply made easier by gear you get in said content that doesn't futher add to your power (which would make ascended gear from FOTM no longer the best gear stat wise) then its a perfect system IMO. 

If you read you'd have the answer to this. The gear will only make the new content easier. The agony condition hurts, according to Anet, and the new gear will help build an immunity to it the more of it you have. Will you still be able to do the content? yes...but it will be quite difficult.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

My God, where will it all end?!

/wrings hands pathetically

/my 2 cents

snip

The problem is I don't know if it stops here. I played GW1 for years becaue I hate gear treadmills. When they added that aspect in, you didn't get better armor stat wise for adding it to your armor. You simply could complete those missions easier. ANET choose to add higher stats to placate the "I NEED TO BE MORE POWERFUL!" crowd. Their response doesn't say if this will be the last time they add im better.

Again you're speaking as though the satat difference is huge. I could understand if we were talking about new gear in Aion, where the stats mattered and the new gear was DEFINITELY better than the old. But honestly. 5 points, bro, 5 points. if losing 7 less hp matters THAT much to you then something is wrong with this picture. And it's doubtful Anet will continue this trend. Look at their track record: Factions: they added new classes, new continent, new quests, missions, and exploreable areas. New gear that was equal in quality to the old gear but for all classes (including the new classes).

Eye of the North: no new classes, but new gear added. Mostly for cosmetics and no stat difference between it and the old gear. Though I'd bet that if they added new gear that was on par stat for stat with the current gear you'd complain that it wasn't worth going for...

See orange. Also that if ANET doesn't use these mechanics to gate content then I'll be happy. If new content is simply made easier by gear you get in said content that doesn't futher add to your power (which would make ascended gear from FOTM no longer the best gear stat wise) then its a perfect system IMO. 

If you read you'd have the answer to this. The gear will only make the new content easier. The agony condition hurts, according to Anet, and the new gear will help build an immunity to it the more of it you have. Will you still be able to do the content? yes...but it will be quite difficult.

If it isn't huge why adding it in the first place?

No, the new gear will make all other content easier as well - last time I checked stats work everywhere.

You saying that in GW1 you used anything but max stats? I mean 14-21 sword is basically the same as a 15-22 sword -I only used max swords still.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

snip
    snip

snip

god damnit snip this shit!
    snip

snoop

snip

No, the new gear will make all other content easier as well - last time I checked stats work everywhere.

And I'm sure those 5 points will carry you through ascalon catacombs, am I right? No, you'll still get face rolled by whatevers out there. Yes, It isn't huge, but they're adding it nonetheless to please those who want something higher to attain while at the same time pleasing those who don't want higher stat gear.

So yeah...your 5 points will carry over to every little bit of content. And I'm sure that extra 5 defense will keep that dragon from sitting on you.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

/my 2 cents

snip

snip

snip

snip

I did read it. They didn't say that ascended gear/agony resistence wouldn't be built on in the future or be required for future content past this. If they add new content that requires the items being released in a couple days in the future, while rewarding people with items that futher make that content easier, then ANET added gear treadmill. Thats the issue, and its not made clear with their "response"

Edit: It seems you ignored when I said I told people who complined about "not having anything to work toward" to go F themselves. I played GW1 for years, same under the same name I use on this forum and in all MMOs I play. I bought GW2 because I thought it would be similar: no gear treadmill. This new update makes me think I was lied to.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Skymourne

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Disclaimer: I don't mind the changes

But the forum post didn't answer anything.  They said they needed another tier of armor between exotics and legendaries, but didn't address the real issue - increased stats and gated content.  This is what people want to hear about.  The lack of transparency and PR statements supposedly 'addressing' the issue - the silence is deafening.  Why tout a cosmetic only progression and then suddenly change it?  Not saying it's a bad thing - but they haven't sufficiently answered this question. 

What's next - a dungeon that upon entering each player chooses a 'role' and are given special abilities like 'taunt', 'heal' or damage boost?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

So it's a gear grind if they add more ascendant pieces or more tiers?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

/my 2 cents

snip

snip

snip

snip

I did read it. They didn't say that ascended gear/agony resistence wouldn't be built on in the future or be required for future content past this. If they add new content that requires the items being released in a couple days in the future, while rewarding people with items that futher make that content easier, then ANET added gear treadmill. Thats the issue, and its not made clear with their "response"

Edit: It seems you ignored when I said I told people who complined about "not having anything to work toward" to go F themselves. I played GW1 for years, same under the same name I use on this forum and in all MMOs I play. I bought GW2 because I thought it would be similar: no gear treadmill. This new update makes me think I was lied to.

Sure, you fly to washington and ask Arenanet to divulge the secrets of their next big content patch after Lost Shores  to you. If you come back alive you can have whatever is in my fridge, just not the vodka...stuffs not cheap. At this point you can only speculater as to whether or not more gear progression will be added, I doubt arenanet will tell us anything about it as it would give too much information about newer content that is yet to come. Some of which that hasn't even been planned. Go ask them about the things they dont know...

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by RizelStar
    So it's a gear grind if they add more ascendant pieces or more tiers?

Not if, "when".

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33

Just wait, touch the new content/gear/dungeons and then judge. Simple.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

You know sometimes I think people are wired to hate change.

Good Morning everyone.

Personally I would wait until the content is released and see how it will be implemented. You could also take what the official post is and see how it is structured as not to give to much information and take that as your answer. He did say that ascended gear would be in between exotic and legendary. I see a lot of people not thinking legendary is the top gear piece and thusly thinking that ascended gear introduces a treadmil and makes exotic gear useless.

I would ask this however, do you guys not grind for aesthetics? If so is that not the same thing. I would just release content that looked differently and called it the same thing but dont put any visible stats on it and use background stats. I see a lot of complaints but no real constructive ideas for an alternative.

Why if I don't like gear treadmills and I'm not sure if they'll continue down this stupid path? You now what I hate about games like WoW? The gear treadmill. WoW's raid would be fun, if it wasn't for the fact that you have to grind gear to do them. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

And I'm sure those 5 points will carry you through ascalon catacombs, am I right? No, you'll still get face rolled by whatevers out there. Yes, It isn't huge, but they're adding it nonetheless to please those who want something higher to attain while at the same time pleasing those who don't want higher stat gear.

So yeah...your 5 points will carry over to every little bit of content. And I'm sure that extra 5 defense will keep that dragon from sitting on you.

Lets all give hands and whistle while we ignore the following

"Ascended gear works a little bit differently than other gear types. The stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built into Ascended items. Instead of upgrade slots, Ascended gear has Infusion slots, and rarer versions of the items also come with additional Agony Resistance built into them. Players will be able to acquire Ascended Rings in the Fractals of the Mists dungeon, and Ascended items worn on the back can be acquired through special Mystic Forge recipes.

The Future of Items Progression

This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game.  Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

You’ll also see more Legendary items in the future and an update to our existing Legendary weapons. Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items. All Legendary items going forward will be of Ascended power. We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.

The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content)."

You better tell Linsey that in fact they are only adding those rings and backpieces and so there is no need to upgrade leendaries.

Lets all scream "lalala not listening lalalala not listening 5 points lalalala".

Originally posted by Anaba77 Just wait, touch the new content/gear/dungeons and then judge. Simple.
    Why if I don't like gear treadmills and I'm not sure if they'll continue down this stupid path? You now what I hate about games like WoW? The gear treadmill. WoW's raid would be fun, if it wasn't for the fact that you have to grind gear to do them. 

Originally posted by Graey You know sometimes I think people are wired to hate change.   Good Morning everyone.   Personally I would wait until the content is released and see how it will be implemented. You could also take what the official post is and see how it is structured as not to give to much information and take that as your answer. He did say that ascended gear would be in between exotic and legendary. I see a lot of people not thinking legendary is the top gear piece and thusly thinking that ascended gear introduces a treadmil and makes exotic gear useless.   I would ask this however, do you guys not grind for aesthetics? If so is that not the same thing. I would just release content that looked differently and called it the same thing but dont put any visible stats on it and use background stats. I see a lot of complaints but no real constructive ideas for an alternative.

You must not play the game. Legendaries currently have the SAME STATS as Exotics. And I have an alternative posted on the GW2 official forums. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

When the agendas tire of the witch hunt, same as always.

But try to remember a time when game companies were not EvilCorp, in gamer's eyes?  It's never happened.

Blizzard, SOE, Mythic, Funcom..they've all been the Target for the Outrage Firestorms.

Gamer never tire of it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

Xipiher does have a point. You seem to be very vocal about this subject which would suggest this game matters to you. I would say the same wait and see how they implement this phase. I read on the forums and here that they have the same thing in GW1 and its more horizontal progression instead of vertical in which you just sort of get attuned. If that were the case would that be okay?

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Wow, I am no fanboy of the game, and think the changes are all right, (as far as I can know at this point anyway) and agree this forum post leaves a lot of information out, but who cares? I just don't get it.

No one is making you do this content. It was possible to play WoW without raiding, I did it for three years. If they add a gear, progression grind they might retain some of the players they are hemorraging. 

At the end of the day, what I ask myself is this game really as successful as they wanted it to be, if they are changing one of their core principles of design?

I think they tried something new, and it didn't pan out, so they are looking for ways to address it. No matter what/how they change, someone is going to feel crapped on, but I suspect there is some corporate pressure to keep a slice of the WoW pie, and they are doing what it takes to make that happen.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Skymourne

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

before you meet the agony debuff you will already have ascended/ infused gear

no you dont need ascended gear to enter the new content

yes you will need to fill infusion slots (who knows maybe you can upgrade your exotics to have this slot) for most deep dungeon parts to fight these special bosses (read hard mode)

you can select what difficulty you want to play

same thing was in GW1 with infusion and fighting mursaat

in GW1 they added green items after some point these, then they added insignias and inscription

it wasnt anything game breaking

Why? so you can know the truth for you self, duh! Play the damn thing and see. If you don't like it you don't like it...move along. But you honestly won't know for sure until it releases. You're like a customer who doesn't want to buy a pair of shoes until you know the name of the chinese boy who made them and how much he was paid. You already have the damn game, its not like your wallet is on the line here. Just download the damn update and try it when it comes along... GEEZ. Sir complainus maximus...

Originally posted by Graey

Xipiher does have a point. You seem to be very vocal about this subject which would suggest this game matters to you. I would say the same wait and see how they implement this phase. I read on the forums and here that they have the same thing in GW1 and its more horizontal progression instead of vertical in which you just sort of get attuned. If that were the case would that be okay?

If it was horizontal ANET wouldn't of made the Ascended gear have higher stats than exotics. But if they stop at exotics and use the Agony system as a form of non-gated progression (each new content having a different mechanism similar to Agaony that can placed into Ascended armor) then that would be the best of both world IMO. Thats the soultion I have on the offical forums.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

When the agendas tire of the witch hunt, same as always.

But try to remember a time when game companies were not EvilCorp, in gamer's eyes?  It's never happened.

Blizzard, SOE, Mythic, Funcom..they've all been the Target for the Outrage Firestorms.

Gamer never tire of it.

So many successes in that list.

Don't want to add EA-Bioware to that list?

Are you going to say Xyher and I have an agenda to denigrate Arenanet and GW2?

At least you will have Pink items, if you actually play the game.