Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet answers to all this forum whining ;) it's on official GW2 forums

Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33

--- > here is the link and the text:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside

Head of Global Community

Our Studio Design Director Chris Whiteside just posted this:

“I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.
Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores."

Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Didn't answer anything. See my post on real answer

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Originally posted by Skymourne

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33

Well, this guy is talking about no treadmill and that new gear will be available from more content (new and old) so it doesn't feel a grind.

For me that's an answer and tbh I hate it when ppl whine before content is released.

/my 2 cents

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Nope that's not an answer. (i don't expect any - Anet is like every bad company out there)

Originally posted by Anaba77

Well, this guy is talking about no treadmill and that new gear will be available from more content (new and old) so it doesn't feel a grind.

For me that's an answer and tbh I hate it when ppl whine before content is released.

/my 2 cents

I don't care about the content. I care if there will be new gear after ascended that will be required to do future content. And it doesn't answer anything because 

" We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features." 

This could mean anything! It could mean more gear, it could be Ascended armor with future upgrades that can placed into that slot. I want to know what they exactly plan! 

And like my edit says. ITS NOT ABOUT THE CONTENT.  I care about direction!

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Sorry but it's an answer, deal with it.
  • IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    He basically say, "hey guys, we don't want to create a treadmill, but we are doing it anyway". There is no massive jump between exotics in legendaries because both have the same stats. In GW1 you grind for skins, in GW2 you grind for gear.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by xpiher

I don't care about the content. I care if there will be new gear after ascended that will be required to do future content. And it doesn't answer anything because 

" We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features." 

This could mean anything! It could mean more gear, it could be Ascended armor with future upgrades that can placed into that slot. I want to know what they exactly plan! 

Actually ANet answered your question by not answering it.

Look at the wording and ask why they wouldn't explictly say what they mean. Pretty obvious that GW2 is heading in a differnet path than GW1. Whether someone likes it or not is up to them.

I am looking forward to better gear myself but that might not be what other people want.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Its political spin. You should know the difference. The reason its spin is because it leaves them room to change their minds latter and you don't know, for sure, if they'll add more tiers of gear/upgrades later or not. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by jpnz

Look at the wording and ask why they wouldn't explictly say what they mean. Pretty obvious that GW2 is heading in a differnet path than GW1. Whether someone likes it or not is up to them.

I am looking forward to better gear myself but that might not be what other people want.

Thats not how they marketed the game either. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Its political spin. You should know the difference. The reason its spin is because it leaves them room to change their minds latter and you don't know, for sure, if they'll add more tiers of gear/upgrades later or not. 

Again, still it's an answer :D

It's up to you to guess what it means.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

Well, we are going to have to wait and see. However;

While I was initially very concerned over what I was hearing about ascended armor, the more info I see, the more it seems like they are doing the same thing they did in GW1.

Mainly, in GW1 there was a portion of the game in which you had to get help from the Seers to infuse your gear. Infusing your gear 'made it more powerful', by giving it resistance to a specific buff called 'Spectral Agony'. Without fully infused gear you would take so much damage that even the most defensive skill combinations couldn't keep up and you would just die.

What's important to note about this is both 1) Infused gear wasn't a higher tier of gear. 2) It existed within the same realm of gear available, and what made it stronger was it's resistance to a very specific, pve-only buff.

This isn't to say that people shouldn't be following this new update with eyebrows raised. Anet used some very poor wording imho. However, I will say that, based on the information given, they aren't doing anything different (gear-wise) from what they did in GW1. While they called it a 'tier', it's sounded much less like a tier, and more like a PvE buff to allow players access to very specific PvE content.

I think people need to hold off on judgement until the weekend when we know the facts.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It is an answer, unfortunately it says exacly the thing (some) players are protesting about.

"We not adding gear treadmill, but we will keep adding new higher stats items".

"No we not going to revamp the items every 3 months"

Apparently they spread it in time so players have time to acquire (guess it is prevent grind exhaustion).

"We adding this because some players feel there isn't enought progression".

What happens when those players are full with ascendat items and get bored again?

More item tiers?

If the answer fot he above question is negative, what other methods will you use? And why aen't you using them now?

Isn't new content enough to entertain players?

I saw a big influx of new players for the halloween event and it had no new item tiers.

So obviously the protests will continue and my gems purchases with real money dried out.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

You can't comprehend written text?

They clearlly state, there will be slow progression -> more tiers.

Agony resistance is only mentioned in terms of doing new dungeons. And if you will be doing new dungeons, you will have agony resistance. They probably don't want people to jump into new content while ignoring older contect, which is fine by me.

Considering how stronger is ascended to exotics I very very doubt your exotics will become that outdated fast...

As for your last remark. It's definitely said there: No gear grind treadmill (as a matter of fact it's almost first words of the article), obviously content will be gated... How else do you actually want to do it? Difference will be, progression will come fairly slowly, so you don't have to grind for new stuff... you will have more than enough time to get it before next "gate" comes.

That's what I read from the article.

Originally posted by aesperus

While I was initially very concerned over what I was hearing about ascended armor, the more info I see, the more it seems like they are doing the same thing they did in GW1.

Mainly, in GW1 there was a portion of the game in which you had to get help from the Seers to infuse your gear. Infusing your gear 'made it more powerful', by giving it resistance to a specific buff called 'Spectral Agony'. Without fully infused gear you would take so much damage that even the most defensive skill combinations couldn't keep up and you would just die.

What's important to note about this is both 1) Infused gear wasn't a higher tier of gear. 2) It existed within the same realm of gear available, and what made it stronger was it's resistance to a very specific, pve-only buff.

This isn't to say that people shouldn't be following this new update with eyebrows raised. Anet used some very poor wording imho. However, I will say that, based on the information given, they aren't doing anything different (gear-wise) from what they did in GW1. While they called it a 'tier', it's sounded much less like a tier, and more like a PvE buff to allow players access to very specific PvE content.

I think people need to hold off on judgement until the weekend when we know the facts.

The issues are

1) They gave it higher stats 

2) They also didn't say if you'll be able to do future content without having ascended gear or their upgrades. If they continue to build upon this system where you need previous upgrades or gear to do new content, then its gear treadmill grind or not. 

3) They don't state if Ascended is the final tier. 

The answer they gave didn't clearify that at all. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

This.  it's an answer.  They are going off of feedback from a great deal of players.  The absolute apocalypse in that thread right now does not indicate how everyone feels.  Just those people.  I don't mind any of what they are doing and look forward to it.  This is like attuned armor from the first game is likely the only time we will every see anything like it.  I wish we would all get over this and actually wait for it to get here. 

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Thats not how they marketed the game either. 

That's true but I think it just shows that ANet is a company.

Think some thought ANet are different but at the end of the day, all companies are the same.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

This.  it's an answer.  They are going off of feedback from a great deal of players.  The absolute apocalypse in that thread right now does not indicate how everyone feels.  Just those people.  I don't mind any of what they are doing and look forward to it.  This is like attuned armor from the first game is likely the only time we will every see anything like it.  I wish we would all get over this and actually wait for it to get here. 

They didn't say that. The issue peopel are having is if this will be the last time they add tired gear and if this new gear and the upgrades ou get for it, will be required for future content. The time it takes to get gear ISN"T THE ISSUE. The issue is with vertical progression being tired to gear!

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Ppl should just wait and see since they won't pay any monthly fee either.

Somehwere I've read about the agony debuff which has to be countered in some PVE instances and that requires the Ascended stats. Anet posted:   Exotic > Ascended > Legendary

So I guess this answer means just this:

"We want to add new content for high lvl armor, but not necessarily where only legendary armor is needed to get into this new content because we are aware that legendary grind is really big. That's why we add this mid-tier (and inserting a new anti agony stat because of certain pve boss encounters) to make sure that more ppl can benefit from the new content and  not only highendtierwhatsover-geared peeps. At the beginning  the first two items (rings and backs) are available in the new dungeon. In the near future all the ascended gear is available all over many events in Tyria and that's because we don't want that ppl feel that Ascended is a grind-fest... blablabla"

But I could be wrong and that's why I just should wait and see.

And to judge things I guess you should wait, too. Anet won't spoil all their future stuff just to please all the whining on the forums.

/my 2 cents

P.S.: no fanboy here

Originally posted by aesperus

In GW1 infused never increased item stats.

When GW1 released Sword Max damage was 15-22. Today the max sword damage is 15-22.

In GW1 max Armor defense was 80 for heavy professions, 70 for medium and 60 for light. When I infuse the armor the defense remains the same.

So yeah they are doing something completely different - they are increasing the max stats of gear rendering all the exotic gear (eventually when all the ascendent items are released) obsolete.

They are making max stats items obsolete.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Wait and see means I quit because I'm not going to outfit all my alts with exotics and ascended gear just to see it go poof not the best anymore. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Wait and see means I quit because I'm not going to outfit all my alts with exotics and ascended gear just to see it go poof not the best anymore. 

LOL, this made my day, sir ;)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

There doing like every company does, Their double dipping trying to please both parties.
    Never usually works, One side wont compromise.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Ppl should just wait and see since they won't pay any monthly fee either.

Somehwere I've read about the agony debuff which has to be countered in some PVE instances and that requires the Ascended stats. Anet posted:   Exotic > Ascended > Legendary

So I guess this answer means just this:

"We want to add new content for high lvl armor, but not necessarily where only legendary armor is needed to get into this new content because we are aware that legendary grind is really big. That's why we add this mid-tier (and inserting a new anti agony stat because of certain pve boss ecounters) to make sure that more ppl can benefit from the new content and  not only highendtierwhatsover-geared peeps. At the beginning  the first to items (rings and backs) are available in the new dungeon. In the near future all the ascended gear are available all over many events in Tyria and that's why we don't want that ppl feel that Ascended is a grind-fest... blablabla"

But I could be wrong and that's why I just should wait and see.

And to judge things I guess you should wait, too. Anet won't spoil all their future stuff just to please all the whining on the forums.

/my 2 cents

P.S.: no fanboy here

The problem is not the infusion.

The problem is that they made a tier with better stats.

They just came and said - "see your exotic rings? they are filler trash now. And in aometime all of your exotics will be.Ah we did this because some people were complaining there was no progression after exotics. we are sure those people wont be bored in 3 months again"