Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bioware-- first company to charge for your skill bars in your ui.

Comments

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

MegAtrO...ah cba, the first player ever to whine about something that is free! Oh wait, you ain't. My bad.

You don't have to pay for those bars to try the game out. It's an excellent way to let people try the game. If i fall for an MMO I would be happy to pay a monthly fee, like I did with WoW, Rift, Eve and other games untill the day I decided not to play them anymore. Just like I did with SWTOR. F2P wont see me return, even if it was all free ;)

Bottom line is you all look jaded by now with the whole "*Sniff* EA destroyed my hopes for a Star Wars mmo".

If you like the game, pay. If you don't like the game, don't play. If you want to try it out, do so, it's f2p.

Other than that, move the F on allready!

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by LIOKI
    I find it amusing that failware still thinks they even have a game in swtor.

oh, there are already people planning to spend 200 bucks and more on craptastic virtual items from the cartel store.

Now with the remaining hardcore player base, the milking is ready to begin

They must have brought on former Funcom staff members as consultants. 

Funcom could have done a hundred times better job on the whole game, they should have given the Star Wars IP to them

Isn't one of Funcom's  buyers EA? (since their troubles)

Funcom dug their own grave.  Having SWTOR in the hands of another EA lacky wouldn't help much for SW fans.

If SOE had SWTOR, that would almost certainly be better than the current situation.  SOE knew about their screwups.  EA doesn't know about SW screwups, so they are below SOE.

Funcom is completely independent, they only used EA as a freakin' disc publisher and for logisitcs, they are not in the EA grave like Bioware.

Anyway either SOE or FC could have done an incredibly better product than Bioware slapped in our faces with TOR

Funcom got into bed with EA.  They are no longer independant.

Funcom is going bankrupt (numbers, man, numbers).

Rumors abound of interest by EA to acquire Funcom (hit em while they are low).

The Secret World might charge for Action Bars, one day.  UI too.  I don't see that as good.  To the OP's post, SWTOR's Freemium might carry over to TSW.

You can keep saying that Funcom is independant, that's fine.  They are hurting, and they are looking for a way out.  TSW was not a successful MMORPG.

BioWare isn't independant, far from it.  The doctors running the company sold it in 2007.  Every action from early game release to early patch release was at the hands of EA.  Share a bed with EA and you get a paycheck but you are done.

Just throwing this in for posterity, so the thread can have a full quote .. not one cut and pasted.

you obviously don't have clue what a publisher is, what a developer is and the difference of a publisher OWNING a developer (Hint:EA= Bioware! Funcom =/= EA, they are on the stock market as Funcom).

EA printed and shipped the TSW discs to stores, they don't even have the rights to distribute the game digitally.

EA might BUY Funcom in the future, but there are also other companies on this planet, surprise)

btw TSW is doing very well and is now profitable, and no, they won't sell silly UI elements, neither are they doing any such stupid crap in AoC.

So, please stop spreading tinfoil hat misinformation in the future

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

oh, there are already people planning to spend 200 bucks and more on craptastic virtual items from the cartel store.

Now with the remaining hardcore player base, the milking is ready to begin

They must have brought on former Funcom staff members as consultants. 

Funcom could have done a hundred times better job on the whole game, they should have given the Star Wars IP to them

Isn't one of Funcom's  buyers EA? (since their troubles)

Funcom dug their own grave.  Having SWTOR in the hands of another EA lacky wouldn't help much for SW fans.

If SOE had SWTOR, that would almost certainly be better than the current situation.  SOE knew about their screwups.  EA doesn't know about SW screwups, so they are below SOE.

Funcom is completely independent, they only used EA as a freakin' disc publisher and for logisitcs, they are not in the EA grave like Bioware.

Anyway either SOE or FC could have done an incredibly better product than Bioware slapped in our faces with TOR

Funcom got into bed with EA.  They are no longer independant.

Funcom is going bankrupt (numbers, man, numbers).

Rumors abound of interest by EA to acquire Funcom (hit em while they are low).

The Secret World might charge for Action Bars, one day.  UI too.  I don't see that as good.  To the OP's post, SWTOR's Freemium might carry over to TSW.

You can keep saying that Funcom is independant, that's fine.  They are hurting, and they are looking for a way out.  TSW was not a successful MMORPG.

BioWare isn't independant, far from it.  The doctors running the company sold it in 2007.  Every action from early game release to early patch release was at the hands of EA.  Share a bed with EA and you get a paycheck but you are done.

Just throwing this in for posterity, so the thread can have a full quote .. not one cut and pasted.

you obviously don't have clue what a publisher is, what a developer is and the difference of a publisher OWNING a developer (Hint:EA= Bioware! Funcom =/= EA, they are on the stock market as Funcom).

EA might BUY Funcom, but there are also other companies on this planet, surprise)

btw TSW is doing very well and is now profitable, and no, they won't sell silly UI elemts, neither are they doing any such stupid crap in AoC.

So, please stop spreading tinfoil hat misinformation in the future

Quite passionate you are, against what is known.

We shall see.. we shall see ..  :-)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower

Bioware the first f2p company to charge you for your skill bars in your ui

Sad but true....

I can´t believe what Bioware has turned into :(

Sad days...

SWTOR cost lists of money to make. They have to make that money back. Low subs, they need money.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Problem is that neither company should try to make a Star wars game really. To make a really good Star wars game you need a customized system instead of the old MMO mechanics. Even SOE realized that for SWG (but later backtracked).

I dont however think SOE either should have the license, you need someone that can make a none trinity MMO (healers and tanks are not in the IP, you dont see Jedis and Siths combat heal in the movies or books). SOE can do that but so far every SOE game I played have been buggier than the temple of Doom and Smed are a bit too greedy to make the SW games the IP deserves.

I would suggest Bethesda but seeing what they have done with ESO stops me from that.

So if I would have to choose a company that could pull it off I would say: Rockstar. They are good on mixing RPG and action games, have good programmers and enough money to pull the whole thing off. Yeah, they havnt made a MMO before but that might be a good thing because what works in a fantasy MMO does not work in the Star wars world.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

T

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Problem is that neither company should try to make a Star wars game really. To make a really good Star wars game you need a customized system instead of the old MMO mechanics. Even SOE realized that for SWG (but later backtracked).

I dont however think SOE either should have the license, you need someone that can make a none trinity MMO (healers and tanks are not in the IP, you dont see Jedis and Siths combat heal in the movies or books). SOE can do that but so far every SOE game I played have been buggier than the temple of Doom and Smed are a bit too greedy to make the SW games the IP deserves.

I would suggest Bethesda but seeing what they have done with ESO stops me from that.

So if I would have to choose a company that could pull it off I would say: Rockstar. They are good on mixing RPG and action games, have good programmers and enough money to pull the whole thing off. Yeah, they havnt made a MMO before but that might be a good thing because what works in a fantasy MMO does not work in the Star wars world.

This x1000.  Using trinity in a SW MMO is almost a guaranteed failure.  Just hanging back and throwing heals while someone wrangles up agro simply doesn't give the feel of SW.  

At least, the good thing about ESO is the more action focused combat and all classes can equip anything.  Though I'm disappointed about it being instanced/phased all to hell and travel limited to own faction zones.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

EA thinks that skill bars are best part of their game.

well they might be right.

Quickbars AND hide helmet slot...tells more about their armor design since theres obviously huge demand for hide helmet option ;P

Also i wished many times for "hide all armor slots" button ;P

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    The F2P seems like a total scam and EA is doing a horrible job of hiding it.  If people want the whole game they might as well just sub, it will be cheaper. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Well, their plan is to have the story content (leveling) be free, and the repeatable content (like raids) be the paid content. The people only interested in the story content won't need those UI bars, but the people who want to do the paid content will likely need those UI bars, so they'll pay more money.

I suppose it makes sense. It's not like any one virtual item is worth more than any other virtual item so it doesn't really matter what they charge for, so long as they know what they can charge for that people will buy.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

So much tears and rage... i feed on it.

You people almost reach the level of the SWG vet community... but only almost.

That being said, since i bough the game when it came out i do not need to care what the entry level F2P player can or can not do... And since i intend to play the game for the story and have a select group of friends to play with i could not care less if the f2p entry level players leave in drowes.

I'l play this game to the bones and when it drops.. it drops. By that time it hav e given me more entertainment then a regular BW game so i am ok with that,

This have been a good conversation

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Funny thing is, they have almost nothing worth buying. Most gear looks crap or is something you can also buy in the GTN for a normal price.

Why did they not add some really cool gear, and then maybe 5 additional races? The ingame models of some races are there, they would just have to unlock them. NO NPC ever noticed anything else that was was human or alien, anyway. And there aren't any lasting effects in stories, which are affected by real aliens, like Nautolans or Mon Cal. *shrug* Or some really cool mounts, like the SWG Vactaryl. Which also exists in SWTOR. But not as mount.

Or rename service, re-race service, respec service?

I have so many ideas to make money with an itemshop that make sense, and not this crap like quickbars or titles. Sometimes I feel like the want to ruin SWTOR on purpose, like "Oh lets test how much crap Star Wars fans will endure until they quit, haha". :/

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    There is first time  for everything in life. lol
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    hey, we can blame disney now! :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

If you want to play the game for nothing and not support it financially, you get a bare bones game.

If you want additional QoL components like additional toolbars and customization options then support the game and drop a couple of quid in to purchase them.

Don't see the problem... 

What most of you haters are really saying is you want to play the whole game with all the bells and whistles for nothing...then you bash the game for not giving you everything for nothing in return.

Driz

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by tawess

That being said, since i bough the game when it came out i do not need to care what the entry level F2P player can or can not do... And since i intend to play the game for the story and have a select group of friends to play with i could not care less if the f2p entry level players leave in drowes.

I'l play this game to the bones and when it drops.. it drops. By that time it hav e given me more entertainment then a regular BW game so i am ok with that,

funny you should mention SWG, i mean, SOE changed the game completely in such a way that the existing playerbase quit enmasse.. bitter irony or just another case of deja vu, either way, its all turned into something of a farce. Seems like the only company willing to admit they got it wrong and fix their game.. is SE..  image

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by tawess

funny you should mention SWG, i mean, SOE changed the game completely in such a way that the existing playerbase quit enmasse.. bitter irony or just another case of deja vu, either way, its all turned into something of a farce. Seems like the only company willing to admit they got it wrong and fix their game.. is SE..  image

Indeed.. And the funniest part of the SWG Vet community is the bordeline insane refusal to admit that the game was a buggy mess from the start and that.. missguided as it was at least the NGE was trying to make it playable. Was it done the right way... .. . No not by a longshot but the game would have died any way from skill imbalances and broken builds combined with lack of rewards for the support proffesions. (Yeah even the devs them self said that muleing a support proffresion was the only way to go.)

In all honesty i think that the F2P will be good for SWTOR.. they just need to easy up a tiny bit on the restrictions and it will be as good as any other F2P offering out there.

Still grumpy about loosing my cartel coins... but as they say easy come, easy goes.

This have been a good conversation

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

If you repeat to yourself "SWTOR is AWESOME" enough tmes, maybe it becomes truth :)

Both SoE and EA have same way - disbelief truth so they look like madman in torn dirty clothes thinking he is royalty.

Cute but, in the end, being fair to your customers pays off in long term. Lying/missguiding them can work short term, but long term its disatreous.

What do you think EA does?

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

If you want to play the game for nothing and not support it financially, you get a bare bones game.

If you want additional QoL components like additional toolbars and customization options then support the game and drop a couple of quid in to purchase them.

Don't see the problem... 

What most of you haters are really saying is you want to play the whole game with all the bells and whistles for nothing...then you bash the game for not giving you everything for nothing in return.

Driz

I think most people are more concerned   EA's F2P restrictions seem designed to drive people away, which is the exact opposite of their stated goal to bring more people in. 

If this game weren't mediocre single-player pablum with some lukewarm MMO features tacked on, tons more people would be playing it and paying for it, gladly.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I think EA is doing a quick milking and squeezing the existing playerbase for as much money as they can get from them before they shut the game down. It'll prob be a year or so but I can see them shutting SWTOR down.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by saxifr
    Originally posted by ImperialSun If you want to play the game for nothing and not support it financially, you get a bare bones game. If you want additional QoL components like additional toolbars and customization options then support the game and drop a couple of quid in to purchase them. Don't see the problem...  What most of you haters are really saying is you want to play the whole game with all the bells and whistles for nothing...then you bash the game for not giving you everything for nothing in return. Driz
    I think most people are more concerned   EA's F2P restrictions seem designed to drive people away, which is the exact opposite of their stated goal to bring more people in. 

If this game weren't mediocre single-player pablum with some lukewarm MMO features tacked on, tons more people would be playing it and paying for it, gladly.

I don't think so. They aren't going to convince people who otherwise wouldn't stick around to stick around. They aren't going to convince people who otherwise wouldn't pay to pay. They're just dividing the people who will pay from the people who won't pay by pulling everyone in with the "Free" moniker.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

They will have more people playing today than GW2 or any other MMO around but WoW. Im pretty sure they have game. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by hikaru77

They will have more people playing today than GW2 or any other MMO around but WoW. Im pretty sure they have game. 

Great,now you are going to get the typical suspects (not the word I want to use) demanding proof of this lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by soximus

Originally posted by asmkm22
    they're still giving a hefty percentage in royalties to Lucas Arts.

Of course you mean Disney Right... Seeing as they bought out Lucas Arts and all Said Companies IP's etc.

No, I mean it's going to LucasArts.  Disney now owning LucasFilms/LucasArts is beside the point.  

You make me like charity

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I have played since launch, pre-ordered the CE on day one and still play for the story and even I think that charging for a frickin action bar is insane.  It honestly is an all time low for a publisher.  I thought the lockboxes in STO were bad (and they are) but having to pay to get an action bar?  I am in complete shock over how awful this is.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by mikahr

If you repeat to yourself "SWTOR is AWESOME" enough tmes, maybe it becomes truth :)

Both SoE and EA have same way - disbelief truth so they look like madman in torn dirty clothes thinking he is royalty.

Cute but, in the end, being fair to your customers pays off in long term. Lying/missguiding them can work short term, but long term its disatreous.

What do you think EA does?

Earth and Beyond, thats what i think EA does, it always seems to end badly, is it a jinx or is it interference,  has any company flourished under EA ? image

This discussion has been closed.