Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: The Gift, the Stage, and the Battlegrounds

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest column devoted to The Secret World, we take a look at journalistic integrity when writing and some of the brand new features that will ship with the upcoming Issue #4. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

New details released make the Albion Theatre system a heavily player-driven mechanism. People will need to coordinate in-game to get a performance to work properly, whether they want to reenact scenes from movies or TV shows, or adapt Lovecraft for the gilded stage. Moreover, it seems Funcom is banking on outside agents (read: the player community) to drum up interest through fan sites, web radio stations, and forum usage. 

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Secret World: The Gift, the Stage, and the Battlegrounds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Really looking forward to this update - great stuff

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Agreed with FromHell... this update offers a little for nearly every playstyle. It's not a silver bullet, nor does it appear to be intended as such. But it's a good sign for the game. I will check it out and will be interested to hear if others do, too.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Hell yeah!

Hodor!

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    The more I read about Issue 4, the more impressed I am..

• necrosteinnecrostein Member UncommonPosts: 80

Automotive journalists drive the cars they test and write about.  it is no different in that, for a limited time, you are granted access to the game to be able to determine its merits and faults.  If you were give unlimited access indefinitley, the issue would be different. As it is you are given a key, and permission to "take it for a spin".

if you wanted to keep playing, youd have to buy/subscribe. yes?  then non-issue.

and issue 4 looks very nice.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I get tired of the "How much did you get paid to sing praises about this game!" rants.  They are undeserved on this website!  I see the same rants on any website that says good about anything at all!
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by necrostein

Automotive journalists drive the cars they test and write about.  it is no different in that, for a limited time, you are granted access to the game to be able to determine its merits and faults.  If you were give unlimited access indefinitley, the issue would be different. As it is you are given a key, and permission to "take it for a spin".

if you wanted to keep playing, youd have to buy/subscribe. yes?  then non-issue.

It's the same for movies, TV shows, and everything really.  If a company wants a media outlet to review something, they usually provide it.  Like Victor quoted: If we had to buy everything we reviewed, previewed, or otherwise... well, we wouldn't be able to.  It's impossible without being independently wealthy.  And alas, we're not quite there.  I do have a last gen iPad though, so I'm moving up in the world!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I like the objectivity of this article. I vote for more of these kinds of previews and reviews and less of the "reasons to play this game" or "lives up to the hype" type articles that litter this site.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Good article, Victor. I like what you said about the controversy and I'm glad you brought it up.

On topic, I tried the Fusang and Albion Theatre changes in TestLive and they are terrific. I'm looking forward to the raid after it launches.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Shouldn't there be a report about how the only the raid is still being postponed and only consists of 1 boss and some trash? No? Okay..
  • RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Rawiz
    Shouldn't there be a report about how the only the raid is still being postponed and only consists of 1 boss and some trash? No? Okay..

Well, it's actually built up pretty similar to the normal dungeons. The trash, or rather minibosses, work as the learning curve for the final boss, introducing the various mechanics more simply. These minibosses even drop epic, though not of the most exciting kind. Right now though, they're pathetically easy, which makes them feel more like trash - but for all we know, that might be one of the reason it's postponed, to beef these fellas. If that's the case, they won't feel like trash anymore, and the raid will actually feel like a raid with 1+ bosses.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Game needs opt-in world faction pvp.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• bigronbigron Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by necrostein

Using the product you review isn't the problem. Or even getting a promo copy.

The problem is when you do the above and the primary advertiser for your site/magazine is the product reviewed in the same issue (look at the banners on this or any site for an example). In video games, that's rampant. I don't even read reviews on video game sites anymore, I just watch the gameplay videos and read the forums.

Vid game journalism is stuck in the same quandary pre-Consumer Reports consumer appliance reviews and wine/spirits was before certain publications refused to take ads from products. Of course, then they have to generate revenue from subs. I don't even know if that would be possible with video games. The wine and cigar audience tends to be more affluent and older.

It has another problem with "exclusive previews". Every publication wants the first preview of "hot new game". That comes at a price. Previews are glorified PR

Until that happens and at least the appearance of impartiality enters the picture, no vid game "critic" will ever be taken seriously as a journalist. That doesn't mean they can't be entertaining or provide some information, but let's be real, you have to take it all with a grain of salt when the games subsidize the sites. I'm not mad or angry, I just LOL at the reviews and enjoy the beta and alpha game vids and updates on new games being released.