Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Looking for Sandbox!

kavlikavli PitePosts: 82Member

Heya!

 

Im looking for a sandbox mmo.. Just like Star Wars Galaxies was in the past.

With player housing etc etc

Any advice?

image[/URL]

Comments

  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member

    To the best of my knowledge there is no snadbox sci-fi MMORPG comparable to SWG with housing on the market right now. There is a game called The Repopulation in development that has some degree of "kinship" according to people. I don't know personally as i've not really kept up with the title. I am waiting to see it pick up some more steam.  

     

    PS: There is also a game called Wildstar in development with a sci fi theme and housing but its purported to be a hybrid sand box and themepark.

  • moguy2moguy2 Saint Peters, MOPosts: 337Member

    In the voice of Obi Won Kanobi - " This is not the sandbox you are looking for  "

     

    Sorry man.. Thats a no go...

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    I gather fallen earth is the closest thing to swg

    Also give perpetuum trial a go, you can't build houses, but you can build forts and stuff and terraform.
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas New Westminster, BCPosts: 468Member
    Eve Online? Your "housing" could be POS and nullsec sovreignty stuff.

    Where's the any key?

  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I gather fallen earth is the closest thing to swg

    Also give perpetuum trial a go, you can't build houses, but you can build forts and stuff and terraform.

    Fallen Earth isn't even in the same ballpark.  It's basically just a themepark, although different than the other ones on the market. 

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,782Member Uncommon
    Go Retro and play Ultima Online!

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • fatboy21007fatboy21007 triadelphia, WVPosts: 409Member
    www.xsyon.com   this games a full sandbox and a TON of fun! everything ingame is player made, you can make multistory homes and get very creative about it, Zombines int he game world too so becareful when ya roam :-P
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

    To the best of my knowledge there is no snadbox sci-fi MMORPG comparable to SWG with housing on the market right now. There is a game called The Repopulation in development that has some degree of "kinship" according to people. I don't know personally as i've not really kept up with the title. I am waiting to see it pick up some more steam.  

     

    PS: There is also a game called Wildstar in development with a sci fi theme and housing but its purported to be a hybrid sand box and themepark.

    So far, WildStar is just a themepark with a housing system.  They have yet to produce anything else that even remotely looks sandbox about it.  They've talked about things like hubless questing areas and/or some kind of open explorable areas, but those don't make it a sandbox/hybrid either.

    You are correct about The Repopulation, which is called a hybrid, but leans much more into the sandbox category than themepark.  However it seems likely that game won't release until late 2013.  It's still feature incomplete and alpha stage heading towards closed beta slowly. 

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    www.xsyon.com   this games a full sandbox and a TON of fun! everything ingame is player made, you can make multistory homes and get very creative about it, Zombines int he game world too so becareful when ya roam :-P

    This game is essentially a crafting simulator with no other gameplay driver whatsoever.  Development is painfully slow to the point that things which should take months, take a year or longer.  It had potential, but so far the developer has failed to deliver an actual game in my opinion.

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • SamraeSamrae Grand Rapids, MIPosts: 5Member
    Pathfinder online from Goblinworks looks encouraging, there's  a lot of discussion about sandbox mmos in their blogs and forums.  It is also in development but will soon have a tech demo.
  • myzmarmyzmar WarsawPosts: 4Member

    Assuming you can find the patience to wait a bit, The Repopulation is a high-hopes title for me. It is sandbox, it is new, the development team listens to the future playerbase and chances are for something really big and enjoyable to appear as the end result. Sign in on the forums and read a bit about it, definitely worth it!

    http://www.therepopulation.com/forum/

Sign In or Register to comment.