Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So if we bought the game we get nothing?

Is this correct? I bought the retail game at launch and even paid for another month before giving up. Shouldn't people like myself receive a little something to acknowledge that we paid money to EA? I paid them 75$, and that is 75 more than most people will pay for this very mediocre game. Normally I don't care if a game I played goes F2P, (Lotro, for example,  I had just gotten tired of playing long before it went F2P), but SWTOR was a completely unfinished product and a joke of a game when it was released, I feel entitled to some compensation. We all the only reason the game is F2P is because it was and is terrible...

Comments

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    I'm trying to understand something here. If the game is so horrible, why are you going to play it again?
  • uncleFesteruncleFester Member Posts: 38
    I'm not going to play it, I'm going to give my account to someone to play my character.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I thought all previously subscribed players (which would be those that purchased the game and at least registered, even if just for the free month) got "Preferred" status and maybe a bit of free currency, I've heard conflicting reports on that. And if you were actually still subscribed when it goes F2P you get additional currency or something.

Preferred status supposedly retains your XP gain rate and some UI skill bars (although maybe not all, again, conflicting info), without it your XP is cut in half or some such.

Of course, if you compare the box cost (around $50 for regular, more for CE's), to what is rumored to be the cash shop price for "Preferred" status ($5), it's still a kick in the nads. But you get ~something~.

• AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48
    You get the preferred status and in game currency (amount which is determined based on how many months you actually paid a sub). The blatant e-mail informed me of this. [mod edit]
  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

1) Most things get cheaper as time passes in this world, the advantage is that you could use them before others.

2) http://www.swtor.com/free wasn't that hard was it?

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

So you are entitled to something because you bought the game?

What about when games go on sale? Do you rage then?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

OK that makes a little bit of sense, thanks.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    You get some free cartel points, in proportion to how long you did sub.  You also get upgraded to "preferred" account status even if you never sub again.

You make me like charity

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by revy66

1) Most things get cheaper as time passes in this world, the advantage is that you could use them before others.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2

http://compare.ebay.com/like/200840863822?var=lv&var=sbar

Some rates of depreciation are steeper then others.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Ah yes, it's EA's rules.  Those who spend $150 on the game originally for a Collectors Edition, get the same treatment as those who spend 5 bucks in the cash shop.

Lesson learned?  Don't buy any Collectors Edition at the hands of EA.

After the snafu with Kmart and Bestbuy selling the collectors edition for $20, I've come to realize that EA CE's just don't hold the same value as any other companies.

Same can be applied to the box version, which was $60.   Folks who got the difital deluxe version got royally shafted, they don't even get a few bucks back in Cartel Coins, like CE owners.

EA... they used to be a good company in the 80's, but they are a joke now.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Is that supposed to be a joke? If I go to a restaurant and order a steak and they don't cook it enough, I can send it back and they will cook it longer. Only with the video game industry do you have to put up with products that don't work.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by uncleFester
    Is this correct? I bought the retail game at launch and even paid for another month before giving up. Shouldn't people like myself receive a little something to acknowledge that we paid money to EA? I paid them 75$, and that is 75 more than most people will pay for this very mediocre game. Normally I don't care if a game I played goes F2P, (Lotro, for example,  I had just gotten tired of playing long before it went F2P), but SWTOR was a completely unfinished product and a joke of a game when it was released, I feel entitled to some compensation. We all the only reason the game is F2P is because it was and is terrible...

That's right. You get nothing. You showed no loyalty to the game, so why should the game show loyalty to you? You'll get what everyone else who doesn't want to give EA money gets. Everyone else, who wants to give EA money will get something more.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I spent $90 on the game including the authenticator. =p I dont feel owed anything. I had already regretted spending the money on it in the first place. Not because the game is bad tho, i really liked the game but the CE bonuses were really quite lame and thats a lot of freakin money for me. haha

I look forward to playing the game again under the F2P model. I didnt wanna pay monthly for it. I did play WoW for six years so im just pretty tired of those games. But i do love Star Wars and the game was pretty cool so ill definitely play some more now.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

Originally posted by Karteli

Ah yes, it's EA's rules.  Those who spend $150 on the game originally for a Collectors Edition, get the same treatment as those who spend 5 bucks in the cash shop.

No, they get 1,000 free Cartel Coins, in addition to whatever else they get for having subscribed over the months.

You make me like charity

Is that supposed to be a joke? If I go to a restaurant and order a steak and they don't cook it enough, I can send it back and they will cook it longer. Only with the video game industry do you have to put up with products that don't work.

God I hate having to defend this game...

MMO's are not products.  They are services.  You don't have to like it, but that doesn't change the fact.  If you don't like the service you are getting, you can stop paying for it.

You make me like charity

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by lizardbones

That's right. You get nothing. You showed no loyalty to the game, so why should the game show loyalty to you? You'll get what everyone else who doesn't want to give EA money gets. Everyone else, who wants to give EA money will get something more.
    Those who spent money on the game + subscription will get nothing, unless, they subscribe right before the Freemium (FTP) transition.

The only way to get a few bucks back in Cartel Coins is to spend 15 bucks to resubscribe, before Nov 15.

Loyalty to SWTOR is meaningless.  It's all about "subscribe now!" ... which is what F2P'ers will constantly see.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    EA is horrible, think more people realize this with SWTOR. I'd go so far as to say that SOE is more respectable than EA.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Not to sound like an ass (although that is exactly how its going to come out), but you got the 30 days you paid for, just like everyone else who bought the box. The extra month you paid for? Yup, you got that too.

Oh, you want more than you paid for? Sorry to hear that.

Edit: For those wondering, no, I will not be re-subbing for my "free" cartel coins. Even with my CE, I could buy more later for the same money as the sub fee.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82

As was already mentioned... you paid for access to a service. By spending money on it while it was a box+sub game, you got to access it many months earlier than others. It's simply not a valid comparison to say something like, "I spent $35k on a brand new car six years ago and now people are buying it used for $10k? That's so unfair!"

Whether you thought the money you spent was "worth it" or not is another issue. Nobody forced you to pre-order the game, or even sub for another month. In the day and age of instant access to forums, reviews, YouTube videos, livestreams, etc, there is no reason not to be an informed consumer. Heck, there was even a "free" beta that you could access to try it out.

If you didn't like it (during beta or even early access), you could have canceled your pre-order and not spent the money on something that wasn't worth it to you. Given that you not only played the first 30 days but also opted to subscribe for another month, obviously you saw some sort of value in doing so. After that point, you cancelled and (surprisingly enough) were not charged any more...

There's really no need for EA/Bioware to reward people who bought the game before it went F2P. It was a "different" game then, which you had to pay to access. Now, it's free to access. You no longer have to pay a subscription to play (though you are still free to do so). If they give you "Preferred" status or reward you with a number of coins, great... if they don't, whatever, you still got to play it when you wanted to. Besides, most of the "loyalty" rewards that are handed out during F2P conversions are based on being subscribed to the game before it goes F2P, which you were not.

I find it funny that you're complaining about this even though you've stated that not only are you personally not planning on playing again, but that you're giving your account away to someone else. Firstly, you have no vested interest in what rewards or standing the account receives. Secondly, that's usually a violation of the Terms of Service or Terms of Use anyway, so I doubt you'd get much support.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

i didnt quote the a-hole above me cause his text hurt my head.

Using flaming red text is not going to help your point but it WILL hurt it

Edit:thanks for fixing it

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

.Listen i am not a SWTOR fanboy or anything and i think SWTOR is below average at best but your post is ridiculous.

What do you want little something in return for a game that is meidcore and joke of a game? shouldn't it be the opposite? you would want nothing to do with such a game and just walk away like lot of other un happy players did?

I play a lot of games, some turn out good and others bad....but i don't understand this entitlment mentality.

Game is terrible but you still want something in return? petty really petty.

*shakes head*

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Many of us tried to warn you. But we got flammed or mod edited over it.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by mnwild1998

Here is a little tidbit from a post I started.  I think it fits this perfectly.

Has todays ever changing society started to creep up into MMO's? I myself have no issue paying $15 ($9 if i do 3 months at a time) paying for something i play 10-20hrs a week. If i get to a point where I am not playing it as much i stop paying. When i come back I start up. But todays gamers seem to be more focused on it says f2p but I can't play the entire game. Stop whining you are not entitled to Jack!! Most F2p games you could never pay a penny but you will need to put in an effort you will need to put in time to earn enough game credits to move along. These models are not freebies and handouts 2 play. Stop your whining and stop feeling like you are entitled to play a game free becauae your not.

For the guy who has sensitive eyes.

It's cool you get your moneys worth out of it. The OP is merely trying to get his. Not everyone ...in-fact not very many people at all got what they thought they paid for with this game hence the fact its going f2p. Your opinion of is it worth it or not? is just that an opinion. I'm not sure who wouldnt feel entitled to something for this flop. half of your post is a blanket statement and hardly fits at all to the OP.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by asmkm22

God I hate having to defend this game...

MMO's are not products.  They are services.  You don't have to like it, but that doesn't change the fact.  If you don't like the service you are getting, you can stop paying for it.

I disagree. You purchase the game which is a product but continuing the subscription I guess in the vaguest sense could be a service.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    I'm not going to play it, I'm going to give my account to someone to play my character.

You do realize that probably violates the EULA/TOS right?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon