Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has the mass exodus begun for GW2?

Comments

• AlanthusAlanthus Member Posts: 119
    Will keep playing since it's a non-sub game and I enjoy levelling lots of alts and experiences different parts of the game. With a gear grind in that of course means I won't spend another dime in the cash shop, hated it in other MMO's, hate it here. Haven't decided on payed expansions, guess that depends on how OP the new gear is, usually it takes two or three iterations before the effect get completely out of control...
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Any additions to this game could only help.  It's really boring as it is.

I'm sure ArenaNet has their own metrics and they are taking feedback into consideration.  This lead them to the inevitable conclusion:  People need a reason to log on.  An anti-social game without ties to any type of community isn't going to cut it.

I'd rather they just make this game more social, and add the tools to let players freely interact with others, gather information on others, and create bonds for ally's and rivals.  It's currently just all neutral, which in turn is simply bland.

ArenaNet is new to full MMORPG's (GW1 was a sham, doesn't count).  They might just be learning that making an online solo player game is going to bury them.  They will always have some fans, but so does SWTOR.  Without changes, those 2 games will share the same fate.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Gosh darn that endgame gear grind!  I'm quitting GW2 and then going to play another mmo that doesn't have anything like that!  It'll feel better playing an alternative game that doesn't have end game gear grind . 

Oh......wait........

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Gosh darn that endgame gear grind!  I'm quitting GW2 and then going to play another mmo that doesn't have anything like that!  It'll feel better playing an alternative game that doesn't have end game gear grind .  Oh......wait........

I'm sure that's a big reason why a lot of people aren't happy with this move.They thought Arenanet would take a different route.
  • Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by Karteli

I'm sure ArenaNet has their own metrics and they are taking feedback into consideration.  This lead them to the inevitable conclusion:  People need a reason to log on.  An anti-social game without ties to any type of community isn't going to cut it.

I'd rather they just make this game more social, and add the tools to let players freely interact with others, gather information on others, and create bonds for ally's and rivals.  It's currently just all neutral, which in turn is simply bland.

ArenaNet is new to full MMORPG's (GW1 was a sham, doesn't count).  They might just be learning that making an online solo player game is going to bury them.  They will always have some fans, but so does SWTOR.  Without changes, those 2 games will share the same fate.

Sigh , I think you may have hit on my early beginning of thinking of logging in less and less. The social part.

I love my guardian, really enjoy WvWvW at most times , and honestly am in a great guild I was lucky enough to find , but I don't play mmorpg's to play and talk only with guild members , I like running into folks in game , chatting it up , grouping for more than 5 mins , and it being the norm , not the exception.

I couldn't put my finger on it , but I suppose the one thing about GW2 that doesn't seem right to me is the social aspects of it. You see people rarely chatting in vicinity areas to each other , people mainly flit back and forth between the events without nary a word.

WvWvW is where I've actually seen the most social interaction on my server , and I stay their mainly , I guess I just want an mmorpg where people actually group up more often for longer periods and end up knowing folks even outside their guild.

It seems the mechanics meant to make things "easier" at times , can have disadvantages on the making it less social.

On on a small point I know , the fact I cannot change my chat colors in game really still grates on me , I want my green guild chat:P

Still enjoying it , but am seriously considering returning to EQ2 for a long while as just want to be where folks interact more with each other , and maybe still use WvWvW here for some PVP fix but thats it.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by tank017

Gosh darn that endgame gear grind!  I'm quitting GW2 and then going to play another mmo that doesn't have anything like that!  It'll feel better playing an alternative game that doesn't have end game gear grind . 

Oh......wait........

I'm sure that's a big reason why a lot of people aren't happy with this move.They thought Arenanet would take a different route.

Well they added a carrot on a stick regarding end game because the different move they had wasn't enough.  That move was making the entire game endgame where you could go back through zones and do things you might have missed, crafting, map completion, and PVP which you can do anytime but Im waiting until 80.  Its my end game treat. 

There are things in GW2 to do at 80.  Lots of things.  But that wasn't enough and they heard enough complaining and people literally asking for this kind of thing they went ahead and tried to make the players happy. 

I hate grinds and I hate grinding for stupid gear.  Which is why I probably won't do it.  I play games to enjoy them and grinding away is not my idea of that.  Unless the dungeons they've made are so challenging and fun its worth my time to do them.  The dungeons do sound interesting, what with being in multiple parts and such. 

Its not the gear or the grind Im interested in.  Its the challenge of these newer dungeons, their make up, how they play, and how fun they might be that Im interested in.  If they are fun, I'd do them.  If they aren't I'll skip it, gear be damned.  Its not something I have to do.  Like I said I have plenty of other things already to involve myself in when I hit 80 anyways. 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

If you bother to read the stuff Anet has actually posted rather than the conjecture of people jumping the gun, it seems like this is a one time deal and is a smallish part of a larger package.  It also doesn't sound like there is going to be an extra gear grind except for those who already have legendaries by the time the newest Ascended equipment comes out.  They have also stated that in the future, Legendaries, being the premier equipment of the game, will be automatically Ascended...so, no gear grind beyond what most players will normally do anyway.

Then we get to the Infusions.  Those sound like they drop as a natural part of doing the earlier, and easier, parts of the new dungeon.  So, you're not going to have to grind out a dungeon multiple times so you can move on to a dungeon to grind multiple times to get the right loot.  Once you get the infusions, you're good.  At least, that's what I'm gathering from reading the actual quotes from ArenaNet.

IMHO, the best idea is to wait and see what happens.  If people don't like what Anet is doing once it's implemented and we have a chance to see what it's all about, then, yeah, it's possible a "mass exodus" will begin.  However, I'm betting this is all much ado about nothing.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I hope so.

My friends haven't been able to get on my server as of yet, and they've been trying for weeks.  I even attempted to get on theirs for a few days, but it's always been full as well.

The game's just too popular even with so much fragmentations between colleagues and friends in it (not hoping for it to drop off the earth, but just lose enough active players that servers go below FULL at all times during the day and even on weekends).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I hope so.

My friends haven't been able to get on my server as of yet, and they've been trying for weeks.  I even attempted to get on theirs for a few days, but it's always been full as well.

The game's just too popular even with so much fragmentations between colleagues and friends in it (not hoping for it to drop off the earth, but just lose enough active players that servers go below FULL at all times during the day and even on weekends).

Wait!!!!  I thought the game was failing??????

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Once people get to 80 and are fully decked with exotics, there isnt the same drive to spend as much time in the game.  It isnt really surprising to see people starting to spending time in other games, but due to the B2P model they can jump back in whenever there is a new event or content released, or just jump on to PvP for a few hours, without worrying about upkeep of a subscription. I guess that is what they are trying to address with the new gear progression, to keep long term PvE players occupied,

GW1 was my go-to game for PvP and I think GW2 will be the same. It needs a bit of work, but ANet are doing a great job of updating the game and I have no doubt they will address the issues with sPvP and WvW soon enough.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

it's still pretty high in sales, i personally am not playing that much there is nothing in pve or pvp that grabs me at all, and i figured out why, the main story line is complete utter crap but hey after looking at how much SWTOR spent on that and where it got them i might be inclined to spend a lot less on VO, well it's still totally uncompeling. Another reason i barely play its too easy i hardly ever even come close to getting killed its just one pve zerg after another, 99 % of the activities you are asked to do for renown hearts/dynamic events are on the same level of carying around chickens.

I think the game was really innovative and daring on a number of levels one of which is how completely stupid it is to sit around organizing large groups of people on your own so the game will LET you have access to raid content.  So i think its a better MMO than most things out there* but frankly the dynamic events/renown hearts they are doing, i just think the whole concept needs time to grow, and GW2 has you doing mundane crap most of the time.

However i don't believe any sort of mass exodus is taking place, people using their own experiences to determine how popular a game is , is nuts i mean am i the only one that knows the difference between perception and math ?

* at this point i don't see value in typical wow style quest hub themepark games, so that makes it very easy to still speak well of GW2 considering most of the mmo market is garbage.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by tank017
    Gosh darn that endgame gear grind!  I'm quitting GW2 and then going to play another mmo that doesn't have anything like that!  It'll feel better playing an alternative game that doesn't have end game gear grind .    Oh......wait........

Well they added a carrot on a stick regarding end game because the different move they had wasn't enough.  That move was making the entire game endgame where you could go back through zones and do things you might have missed, crafting, map completion, and PVP which you can do anytime but Im waiting until 80.  Its my end game treat. 

There are things in GW2 to do at 80.  Lots of things.  But that wasn't enough and they heard enough complaining and people literally asking for this kind of thing they went ahead and tried to make the players happy. 

I hate grinds and I hate grinding for stupid gear.  Which is why I probably won't do it.  I play games to enjoy them and grinding away is not my idea of that.  Unless the dungeons they've made are so challenging and fun its worth my time to do them.  The dungeons do sound interesting, what with being in multiple parts and such. 

Its not the gear or the grind Im interested in.  Its the challenge of these newer dungeons, their make up, how they play, and how fun they might be that Im interested in.  If they are fun, I'd do them.  If they aren't I'll skip it, gear be damned.  Its not something I have to do.  Like I said I have plenty of other things already to involve myself in when I hit 80 anyways. 

Its a case of'can't please everyone'...i myself couldnt care less about this move either way.
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    GW2 was fun for a couple weeks, I wouldnt bother reinstalling it though, was the same way with GW1 but I played that for 3 months before I quit, so I'd say between the two the first one was better(for its generation).
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    GW2 was fun for a couple weeks, I wouldnt bother reinstalling it though, was the same way with GW1 but I played that for 3 months before I quit, so I'd say between the two the first one was better(for its generation).

Yeah, I enjoyed the first one quite a bit.  It may have been due to it being extraordinarily social and pretty much requiring party play to get anything done in it.  Before it's time, I'd go as far to say.  Back then people were hating on it because it wasn't WoW and you weren't some badass that could take out a group of enemies by yourself.  Now I'm hearing a lot of people wanting party play to beat enemies, and guild wars 2 you're more so able to do things solo than in the first.  Granted I've never considered the first to be a MMO in an archaic definition; in today's term of the word I guess it could pass for it, though.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by chaintm

Actually due to this thread…

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads/first

I am leaving the game as well.. don't take me wrong its a good game and all, but this changes everything for players like me. I wish everyone a good farewell and gl in the future, for some will like this. I however, do not and won’t participate. This was NOT suppose to happen in GW2 according to so many interviews and post from the devs. It feels like a slap to the face to be honest, the grind was never to be part of GW2 never, now it is if you want to "compete" and it seems this is just step one in many more releases according to one rep that said basicly collect threw out the year and into the future.

Yeah, GWoW2 , no thnx.

You can discuss and say the exodus won't happen, but i know for FACT i won't play this game ever again. Meh I got my 50 out of it and I know a few that feel the same. I could be wrong here, but I never seen so many say "yeah, I am done too" and talk about playing Magic The Gathering 2013 and more , I think Anet is going to bite a big bullet on this move. Just my thoughts on it anyways.

I realize there is a thread about this topic so this is more about people actually leaving over it. I beleive many will as I will. I have yet to go back to starwars the old republic for promises broken there so I see no reason to go back to gw2. Your thoughts? Are you leaving? have you just thought "bah I don't care!".

Just seems like another money grab, just like the "there will be no changes in this up-coming maintance" ,, people log into WvWvW and now siege equipement only last exactly 10min then the previous 30min. Seems GW2 to me at least is becoming a money hog.

-chaintm

People leave games ALL the time. It does not mean an "Exodus" is happening. Games change and some people like it and some do not. It doesn't mean doom for a game. You're entitled to your bandwagon opinion on the game. There are tons of people still enjoying the game(Like me). Find yourself a game you like, I'm sure there are games that don't seem like a "money hog" out there. :)

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by chaintm

Actually due to this thread…

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads/first

I am leaving the game as well.. don't take me wrong its a good game and all, but this changes everything for players like me. I wish everyone a good farewell and gl in the future, for some will like this. I however, do not and won’t participate. This was NOT suppose to happen in GW2 according to so many interviews and post from the devs. It feels like a slap to the face to be honest, the grind was never to be part of GW2 never, now it is if you want to "compete" and it seems this is just step one in many more releases according to one rep that said basicly collect threw out the year and into the future.

Yeah, GWoW2 , no thnx.

You can discuss and say the exodus won't happen, but i know for FACT i won't play this game ever again. Meh I got my 50 out of it and I know a few that feel the same. I could be wrong here, but I never seen so many say "yeah, I am done too" and talk about playing Magic The Gathering 2013 and more , I think Anet is going to bite a big bullet on this move. Just my thoughts on it anyways.

I realize there is a thread about this topic so this is more about people actually leaving over it. I beleive many will as I will. I have yet to go back to starwars the old republic for promises broken there so I see no reason to go back to gw2. Your thoughts? Are you leaving? have you just thought "bah I don't care!".

Just seems like another money grab, just like the "there will be no changes in this up-coming maintance" ,, people log into WvWvW and now siege equipement only last exactly 10min then the previous 30min. Seems GW2 to me at least is becoming a money hog.

-chaintm

I understand i suppose, i just happen to be a bit more moderate about the whole thing.  It doesn't matter what it is these days that happens, but it's either all the way over one way or another for people apparently and online gaming is no different.  It's quite silly to be honest, yet everyone has a cause it seems. i actually think this is a good thing, which you won't agree with since you seem to be a purist, but that doesn't mean there's a mass exodus.  

You are only one person and even though you know a few people that feel the same way, I also know several people who like this idea.  Mass exodus indeed.  I'm sorry you feel that way about the game, but there are still tons of people playing and will continue to afterwards.

This whole thing is the exact same thing that happened in the first game with the Murasaat and getting one shot if you didn't have attuned armor.  You needed that attuned armor and it was very difficult to obtain, but the armor as well as the new "agony" effect are the exact same thing and honestly i felt that it was something missing from GW2 that was present in GW1.

You have an opinion as do I.  I don't think nearly as many people are going to pack up just yet as you do.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Once again, I ask: what part of this addition makes the game a forceful gear treadmill? Does anybody else have concrete information on ascended gear? Will a person who ran FotM 50 times be more powerful than someone who ran it for 5, or even someone who hasn't? I've been following this development as well, but I find no answer to my question. This is why I don't get all the over reaction.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I see a lot of people playing.  I hit 80 last week and I will be playing as long as I am having fun as it costs me nothing to do so.  Right now I have 52% of the world explored.  There's a lot to see, but if something better comes along before they can create another hook I might jump ship.  I expore, I wvw, pvp, quest, collect stuff. 

Tempted to check out Rift because of the housing which GW2 hasn't put in the game yet.  I need to find out more about it. 

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Mass exodus began a month ago...luckily it's B2P so everyone can come back whenever!

However that still hasn't brought any of my friends back.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Dahkot72
    Originally posted by Karteli

Sigh , I think you may have hit on my early beginning of thinking of logging in less and less. The social part.

I love my guardian, really enjoy WvWvW at most times , and honestly am in a great guild I was lucky enough to find , but I don't play mmorpg's to play and talk only with guild members , I like running into folks in game , chatting it up , grouping for more than 5 mins , and it being the norm , not the exception.

I couldn't put my finger on it , but I suppose the one thing about GW2 that doesn't seem right to me is the social aspects of it. You see people rarely chatting in vicinity areas to each other , people mainly flit back and forth between the events without nary a word.

WvWvW is where I've actually seen the most social interaction on my server , and I stay their mainly , I guess I just want an mmorpg where people actually group up more often for longer periods and end up knowing folks even outside their guild.

It seems the mechanics meant to make things "easier" at times , can have disadvantages on the making it less social.

On on a small point I know , the fact I cannot change my chat colors in game really still grates on me , I want my green guild chat:P

Still enjoying it , but am seriously considering returning to EQ2 for a long while as just want to be where folks interact more with each other , and maybe still use WvWvW here for some PVP fix but thats it.

Yeah GW2's anti-social nature is key to what players are feeling.

Fans keep saying, oh well you just need to be more social, the game can't do it for you!

Well I say a game that lacks the fundamentals of an MMORPG will never be social.

Fans criticize other games because they require grouping.  GW2 does this also, it's just without player interaction.  Which makes GW2 a very shallow game.

Fans criticize other games because they allow players to stalk each other via /who commands.  GW2's method is to keep players anonymous in the game world, which is an empty experience.

Fans further criticize other games for their use of hundreds of /emote's, citing that GW2 doesn't need them because nobody wants them.  I call foul.

GW2 can be a beautiful game, but only if the fans back off.

Fans are driving this game into the ground.  Gamers want a fun experience, for which they can keep returning to.  There is little fun in what fans keep trying to beat into everyones head.

GW2 wants progression?  It can only be a good thing.  I just wish they would focus on player interaction instead.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• LydeckLydeck Member Posts: 80

No, because not everyone is a whiny little %$^#$ when it comes to video games. All this whining and complaining about this new Ascended is just mind blowing to me. The best part is, it's all the people that no-life the game that are complaining ... you guys are going to be the ones to get it before anyone else, so what's the issue?

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Lydeck

No, because not everyone is a whiny little %$^#$ when it comes to video games. All this whining and complaining about this new Ascended is just mind blowing to me. The best part is, it's all the people that no-life the game that are complaining ... you guys are going to be the ones to get it before anyone else, so what's the issue?

I agree and to answer your question, it seems as though it is a matter of principle.  A lot of these folks keep quoting the manifesto and then pointing out parts about lying.  They said they didn't want grinding or treadmills.  It's not even a treadmill.  There aren't 3 tiers of raiding coming...it's a set of gear that is specially sloted.  This gear is between exotic and legendary gear, with the legendaries getting a boost to make it all flush and neat.

For some reason this is a MASSIVE problem.  On the issue of grinding, i'm not sure if they are even playing their own game or not, but there is grinding everywhere.  For legendary mats, for achievements, for all kinds of things.  It's just like the first game in this respect, just slightly altered.  I love the game, but this overreaction is a prime example of expectations larger than i have ever seen for a game.  The fault partly lies with Arenanet for the early push and manifesto and the other, more irritating half of the blame lies with the players that just go insane when something changes.

I have seen negative community actions before, but this thing has gotten out of hand, and for seriously no real reason aside from principle.  If they are that fickle, the door is wide open for them to leave. Many of us will still be there.

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    I don't really understand what exactly is the problem here. There is a new type of gear and a new dungeon...cool...so why are people upset? Can someone explain the issue at hand? I am actually super excited for the new patch. You would think ANET is guilty of animal abuse from reading these types of threads.
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by sketchy_

Wow people complaining about the grind in GW2?... really? And all this whine about ascended gear. I don't get it. Don't do the content if you don't like it. It's a minor difference in stats from the gear you already have.

Ye sure getting certain achievments might be a bit grindy, but don't do it then? Do what you enjoy in the game instead, I'm having a blast in WvW so that's what I do. I don't go and force myself through content I don't like because you don't have to.

Sure if there's nothing in the game you enjoy I can understand why you don't play but geeeh don't blame it on grind. The game ain't forcing anyone to grind.

Exactly. Sure you will have to if you want to complete the new dungeon and maybe even the next ones, but I'm pretty sure the grind won't be as bas as people think it will. I'm also pretty sure you won't have to grind for more than 1 ascended gear set to be able to complete the dungeons they will add later. Just like how the dungeons works atm with the exotic gear. People get nuts for nothing really, they don't even know exactly how it will work. Also comparing this to WoW is nonsense, WoW will always be worst than GW2, they won't add this kind of grind. The WvW won't be affected whatsoever since the difference in stats is minimal. So nothing to complain about really, people jump to conclusion too quickly.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Man, I'm seeing a lot of complaints and whining about the new tier of gear coming with the lost shores, but my question is: what's the issue? You guys are calling it an end game gear-grind when the stat difference between the new gear and the currently existing gear is nearly negligable. It will likely be an aesthetic difference that really sets the bar for these weapons/armor sets. Also we don't even know all of the steps involved in getting teh gear. It may be just one or two nights of work for the avid player and maybe a week for the casual mate who plays on occasion. Look at the legendary pieces you can already obtain. Day 4 of release I saw friends of mine wielding legendary weapons and working on their sets. I have one friend who finished his set and weapon in less than a week. It really doesn't take that long. Granted he plays a lot more than I do.

Also I think the term "grind" is very relative. If you stand in a field of centaurs and kill them over and over for their horns for, lets say, 7 hours straight with no breaks(except to pee and eat) then that'd be considered a nice, beefy grind. But, lets say you split that work up over 2 or 3 days. Have you still grinded? Well that's all dependant on how you feel. Do you feel like you grinded? do you feel as though you stood in a field for 7 cumulitive hours? All up to you, really. Mainly, what I think is that gamers are getting lazy. That's right I said it....LAZY!!!!

If you really want to talk about grind and really want your eyes to bleed from staring at your screen for too long then go play vanilla Aion or Lineage II. That, my friends, is grind. What Guild Wars 2 asks you to do in comparison to games like that, or any korean super grinder, is childs play. Go ask a korean kid of about 14 years old to play GW2, level to max, and get a full set of legendary gear. His response will likely be "See you tomorrow." And he'll probably laugh at you for asking him to do something so miniscule(in his opinion).

So is it going to be grindy? If you're lazy...then sure.