Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible that MMO now days are "TOO Good "

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

As strange as it sound, but is it possible that MMO are too good now days?

back in the day the standards weren't as high as today. People expect way more than they did pre-WoW. MMO  now days have many new features like that seen in GW2 and Rift. But people seem to quickly get bored of these features.

if games like Rift and GW2 came out in 2002 in the same quality, would they be more successful or less successful than they are now? I feel these games are boring now because they simply too good. Indy games are more fun like Darkfall, because it lacks quality and not trying to be perfect or too good.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

If Pac Man would have had the same scrutuny as today's MMO's, people would have nuked arcades saying, "WTF they increased Blinky's persuit speed by .25 percent - i'm otta here!"

I don't think a game can get "too good" but I do think in the process of dissecting the 'frog' we kill it when it comes to games.  Some people need to just play the game ... it's actually quite nice to just play sometimes without reading so much into everything.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If games like Rift or GW2 came out in 2002, people would have sh!t themselves to death over the games.

For a lot of people, those games aren't boring right now. But whether or not a game is boring has nothing to do with the game's polish. A very polished game could be boring, or it could be exciting. Ditto for the unpolished game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Yes  they are all too good! thats why i am still playing league of legends while im dieing to actually pay money for a good mmo.
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

back in the day the standards weren't as high as today. People expect way more than they did pre-WoW. MMO  now days have many new features like that seen in GW2 and Rift. But people seem to quickly get bored of these features.

if games like Rift and GW2 came out in 2002 in the same quality, would they be more successful or less successful than they are now? I feel these games are boring now because they simply too good. Indy games are more fun like Darkfall, because it lacks quality and not trying to be perfect or too good.

I give you free time travel,go play some MUDs and tell them what you wrote here.

Let's internet

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    If Rift or GW2 had launched in 2002, no one would have had hardware capable of running the game.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Don't mistake graphics for features. 

The games of past have way more features than the games of today. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

MMO's today are not TOO good., why are alot of them hanging by a thread reverting to free to play if they are too good?

No our standards havnt really changed. but developers look at wow and think that bringing in a gazileon features = happy gamer.

This is not the case tho, the reason we are bored is that all those features are really shallow and dont really bring any fun too the game.

Now here is what should happen: Leveling exp needs to be 10folded at least. make it a chalange to level up because leveling up = adventuring, specially if you create a dangorous world to do it in where the slightest misspull can wipe your party (yes on random mobs)

Also make a need for grouping make thing unsoloable. Doing that will bring the community back into games because you have to group in order to lvl up, you can be succesfull 2manning but 4manning will be alot faster.

Bring back a death penalty, Dying should be a sin in an mmo. When you die penalty would be 50% of your next gained exp goes into your penalty for 10% of your lvl. If you have that people will watchout for eachother. you would like help if your in a predicament yourself so this creates a stronger community.

Also removes dungeons while your at it. make it all open world so you would have to find out for yourslf when a boss would be up or not.

these are simple little things wich todays mmo's are missing

the word MMO (Massivly Multiplayer Online) stands for adventuring together with people. not doing evrything by yourself and ocasionally group for a dungeon..

edit: These are things from past mmo's, things wich todays mmo's are missing. if you find Instant gaming fun the mmo market was never your place to have come searching. leveling up in a party was a whole lot of fun back in tha day.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    "hanging by a thread" today is "success" pre wow.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Vunak23

QFT

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I don't think it's that, I think the games today are too easy rather than too good and that makes them boring.  Plus, there are elements to the pre-WoW MMOs that are not in the typical MMO these days.  The majority may like them and that's great but I do not and find them boring.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

If Pac Man would have had the same scrutuny as today's MMO's, people would have nuked arcades saying, "WTF they increased Blinky's persuit speed by .25 percent - i'm otta here!"

I don't think a game can get "too good" but I do think in the process of dissecting the 'frog' we kill it when it comes to games.  Some people need to just play the game ... it's actually quite nice to just play sometimes without reading so much into everything.

My thoughts exactly

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Technically yes, but they're visionless rehashes otherwise. For the most part, that is.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by xeniar

MMO's today are not TOO good., why are alot of them hanging by a thread reverting to free to play if they are too good?

No our standards havnt really changed. but developers look at wow and think that bringing in a gazileon features = happy gamer.

This is not the case tho, the reason we are bored is that all those features are really shallow and dont really bring any fun too the game.

Now here is what should happen: Leveling exp needs to be 10folded at least. make it a chalange to level up because leveling up = adventuring, specially if you create a dangorous world to do it in where the slightest misspull can wipe your party (yes on random mobs)

Also make a need for grouping make thing unsoloable. Doing that will bring the community back into games because you have to group in order to lvl up, you can be succesfull 2manning but 4manning will be alot faster.

Bring back a death penalty, Dying should be a sin in an mmo. When you die penalty would be 50% of your next gained exp goes into your penalty for 10% of your lvl. If you have that people will watchout for eachother. you would like help if your in a predicament yourself so this creates a stronger community.

Also removes dungeons while your at it. make it all open world so you would have to find out for yourslf when a boss would be up or not.

these are simple little things wich todays mmo's are missing

the word MMO (Massivly Multiplayer Online) stands for adventuring together with people. not doing evrything by yourself and ocasionally group for a dungeon..

edit: These are things from past mmo's, things wich todays mmo's are missing. if you find Instant gaming fun the mmo market was never your place to have come searching. leveling up in a party was a whole lot of fun back in tha day.

This MMO might have some appeal, but I doubt it would be for a very large group. Also I don't think artificially extending how long it takes to do something will really be of any benefit, especially if it still ends up being incredibly shallow in the end.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

This MMO might have some appeal, but I doubt it would be for a very large group. Also I don't think artificially extending how long it takes to do something will really be of any benefit, especially if it still ends up being incredibly shallow in the end.

MMO's were never meant to appeal to a very large group, WoW's success has made their design move toward mass appeal though. And that's where they fail, MMO's are still only attractive to a niche group, hence why you never see the amount of subscribers that WoW gets, or sales akin to single player games, regardless of the game. And that's why they're all turning free to play, because that niche group expects better from an MMO, so they play, they get tired of the same old watered down crap, then they move on, leaving the game empty.

As much as people want to think that solo play is the way to go, it really isn't, it's not attracting more players, it's just making the MMO gamers more and more frustrated.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Vunak23

How far in the past?

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Onigod
    Yes  they are all too good! thats why i am still playing league of legends while im dieing to actually pay money for a good mmo.

dude you read my mind.

played a million mmo's

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

MMO's were never meant to appeal to a very large group, WoW's success has made their design move toward mass appeal though. And that's where they fail, MMO's are still only attractive to a niche group, hence why you never see the amount of subscribers that WoW gets, or sales akin to single player games, regardless of the game. And that's why they're all turning free to play, because that niche group expects better from an MMO, so they play, they get tired of the same old watered down crap, then they move on, leaving the game empty.

As much as people want to think that solo play is the way to go, it really isn't, it's not attracting more players, it's just making the MMO gamers more and more frustrated.

I don't disagree with that fact that MMOs still appeal best to small groups. I was just pointing out that the stuff he mentions in his ideal game seem to be less about adding features and more about putting artificial barriers in places to draw out the game, which isn't exactly going to make existing shallow features any more interesting or enjoyable.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I suggest everyone in this thread actually watch this VID the whole way through. Before you do let me say that this game has a cash shop but it's all vanity items like in GW2.

Seems to me that it's western mmo devs that are refusing to think outside the box and sites like mmorpg.com are in on this promoting non imaginative MMOs.

Why hasn't mmorpg.com done a feature on this game or why haven't they got someone in beta which starts today for the USA.

Just listen and watch, oh and beta keys are easy to get if you go to the forums.

Months ago some idiot bought a sword but all it did was look good and glow it gave no extra stats.

Watch and ask yourself whats wrong with western devs these days.

Take note of the features in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJP3PgzodFU

And just for a bit of fun  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gHq2E3zEg&feature=related

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Robokapp

there's only one game that's TOO GOOD.

and that game is Carmageddon.

awesome game.. :)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It's not a matter of them being too good. BUT too easy and not multi player.

This is how marketing works now :

Make the game easy, suck in younger people as fast as possable.  Who cares if they stay, the money is really in box sales and digital DL.  If they stay, good will suck $15 out of them as long as we can if their willing to stay.  After sometime will make it free to play and suck more money out of them.

It's not about you its about them !

People think developers are stupid.   No, they just don't really care about six months down the road like we think they should !

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I kinda have this problem with gw2, it feels too slick, too worked out, too fitted into a whole. It could do with more roughness around the edges. It's hard to explain though.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    "Over produced" is what I'm grasping for, like 80s music.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Agree with your premise, disagree with conclusion.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Shiney....yes....TOO good?  no.

They are shallow, and made quick access/convienience....While that is what the majority has demanded, it also lends to a game being used up quickly.

Quality adventuring, pve, harvesting, crafting, and economy are things I look for, and many of these "TOO good" titles have pretty much quality pve and fall flat on the others imo.  Rift was mentioned, it is a good mmo for what it was when it launched, I played it....But it was small/railed, not many choices for level content, the harvesting/crafting system was shallow imo, and was a daily repeat game...I find daily repeat stuff boring, I don't mind repeating stuff, but I don't like felling like to optimize my time, I should do this dungeon, daily quests in this place and such....I want to do what I want, and not feel like I am screwing myself.

So yeah, stuff has more shine and polish at launch, but are the majority of these MMOs blowing away the features of say UO, a mmo over 10 years old?  No. 

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

No. Just no.