Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SV to beg for more money part 2

Comments

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    So many people raging over what other people do with their own money.  
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by ltank

Not raging my friend.

Laughing... And not laughing WITH them either.

This shits GOLD. Better than any fiction I have found in a book or on Television. No. No rage at all. I will be sad when this finally does fail.

EDIT- Its like "what the Hell could they possibly do next?" and I am never disapointed with the Lulz. From Blaming Volcanos, to stealing EULAs , to flying Pigs and corrupt GMs... This shit rules (to watch and enjoy)

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by ltank

Not raging my friend.

Laughing... And not laughing WITH them either.

This shits GOLD. Better than any fiction I have found in a book or on Television. No. No rage at all. I will be sad when this finally does fail.

EDIT- Its like "what the Hell could they possibly do next?" and I am never disapointed with the Lulz. From Blaming Volcanos, to stealing EULAs , to flying Pigs and corrupt GMs... This shit rules (to watch and enjoy)

So true lol.  Everytime you think they've gone the lowest, they find a new low.  

A fool and his money are soon parted I guess. lol

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by CroniteLore

You should take a fresh look without bias. If you canz

I completely agree, the more people see for themselves what pile of crap the game is, the better. 

• CroniteLoreCroniteLore Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Anyone else finding it lulzworthy that they can't even get a fucking donation button to work?

Funny how donations are now off the page...

EDIT: no doubt it's a scam, eh?

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank

• RilmanRilman Member CommonPosts: 35
    ..fools and their money.
  • HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

EDIT: no doubt it's a scam, eh?

I gaurantee it will do NOTHING to aid development.  (its not like Starvault has always been broke)

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Gawd, that thread.. SV is taking a bunch of kids emotionally hostage.

"You get 1 vet point for every paid month.
    You cannot stack donations to get the higher tiers, you have to donate them to get them."

Hikner wants MOAR. MOAR. MOAR. MOAR. FEGELEIN, FEGELEIN, FEGELEIN!!

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

If nothing else, this will at least increase the zealotry among the remainging sect members... oh sorry, I mean fans.

When you hand out prizes for idiocy, the "special" people go nuts while trying to outbid each other.

Really, who in his right mind would donate 2500 dollars to these devs? It almost sound criminal to me...

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    someone who is extremely wealthy, if i had 50million in the bank i wouldnt miss 2000.  Might even give you 2000 biskop jsut out of kindness :)

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by deathshroud
    someone who is extremely wealthy, if i had 50million in the bank i wouldnt miss 2000.  Might even give you 2000 biskop jsut out of kindness :)

Honnestly if i was extremely wealthy, if i had 50 million euro's in my bank account, i wouldnt mind at all to donate 2000 or even more to someone who was in need or to someone who simply couldnt afford to follow his ambitions, vision or just a project. From the other hand i wouldnt give a single cent to a lazy, unskilled and untrained liar, whos constantly trying to make a living by telling lies, deceiving, lacks creativity, imagination, common sense and being unrespectfull towards people and specialy the ones that supporting him. If you where willing to do something like that for SV just cause you could afford it then you are more than welcome to do it but allow me to think thats not kidness. Its (chose your word and place it here)...

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by argirop
    Originally posted by deathshroud

Honnestly if i was extremely wealthy, if i had 50 million euro's in my bank account, i wouldnt mind at all to donate 2000 or even more to someone who was in need or to someone who simply couldnt afford to follow his ambitions, vision or just a project. From the other hand i wouldnt give a single cent to a lazy, unskilled and untrained liar, whos constantly trying to make a living by telling lies, deceiving, lacks creativity, imagination, common sense and being unrespectfull towards people and specialy the ones that supporting him. If you where willing to do something like that for SV just cause you could afford it then you are more than welcome to do it but allow me to think thats not kidness. Its (chose your word and place it here)...

+1

Me too. If I was extremely wealthy, I'd probably sue them to get my subscription fee back because it was a scam, but that's it.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    @ deathshroud

You're such a sweetheart! : )
  • NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

Well there is no such thing as bad publicity - so hope this thread is driving ppl to take a look at MO.

Regardless of what ppl say if you post here it si driving news about MO!! Funny, yeah?

You should take a fresh look without bias. If you canz

Tell that to Gerald Ratner. One remark made at a private function wiped $500m off his company's shares and almost bunkrupted it. Makes you wonder if MO would be faring better if Henrik and co didn't keep putting their feet in their mouths. Probably not much better, but still...

• LinseshLinsesh Member Posts: 14

Someone donated $1000?

I'm shitting myself with laughter. It's not the amount that's funny - if you can afford it, kudos to you. It's just that there is someone out there who is either in complete ignorance when it comes to the worth of money or Mortal Online.

Hmmmmm, maybe it's more tragic?

• w4ffl3w4ffl3 Member Posts: 36

Let's put everything in perspective.  The top donor gave $1000, the next top gave $250, and then a few people gave $100, and most everyone else gave $50 or less.

That means SV has raised at most $2000, and probably will raise $2000-3000 total from this donation drive (that's probably being pretty generous, since everyone has seen the donation button by now).

How much development does that actually fund?

Well, their latest report says they lost 700000SEK in the first half of 2012, or 116000SEK every month.  That's $17000 USD lost every month.

So, people can do what they want with the money, but if they think it'll actually help development at all, they're being completely delusional.  This company is just losing too much money to get even close to breakeven, even with donations.

The $2000-3000 raised from this donation drive will be enough to keep SV afloat for an extra 4-5 days.  That's not a typo--it's enough money for less than a week.

• x_Paradox_xx_Paradox_x Member Posts: 9

How many are going to give every month. I bet the amount they ultimately raise will not be enough to fund coffee and donuts for a small office. Let alone hire another programmer.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Where do you see the donation amounts?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LinseshLinsesh Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Reverse engineer the top donor list i.e. Find their forum account and see what title they have.

Maybe they gave some random accounts a title to make it look like they got some donations. I doubt they'd stoop that low, but I do enjoy letting my cynicism run fantasy now and then. *sneering chuckle*

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I have dropped a few hundred here and there on kick starter, but I don’t keep adding money to any one project. Those that can give large will and that’s it, then you are left with some pocket change every month.

I would be shocked if the project makes more than $8 -12K the first year (most in the first 3 months), and if pop stays the same, maybe $5-8K following years. They got one $1000 so far, and a few smaller ones.  Maybe looking at $2k so far for month one, and first few months should be way above baseline.

So based on very limited data, high end guess about $600/ month average in the long run.  Maybe SV can set up a Google adwords budget or pay for some overtime. But that’s a drop in the bucket for a development team. I wouldn’t call it game changing, pun intended.

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41

I have to say I'm honestly amazed that it's come to donations. It's low class, and a sign of utter and complete desperation.

I guess we can all start taking bets when they shut down, though I suppose daddy can always step in..

Originally posted by Shyatic

I have to say I'm honestly amazed that it's come to donations. It's low class, and a sign of utter and complete desperation.

I guess we can all start taking bets when they shut down, though I suppose daddy can always step in..

I agree it's a sign of desperation. They are going down like the titanic and someone grabbed a bucket.
    Their cash on hand is getting very low according to their financials. They burned up about $1 million these last 24 months.

6-2010 to 6-2012
    Profit : – 6,900,000 SEK (about  $-1,000,000 USD loss)
     Or: $-42,000 USD / month

1-2012 to 6-2012
    Sales $24,000 / month   (maybe average of 2000 subscriptions)
    Admin:  $-12,000 / month
    Development: $-43,000 / month
    Profit:  $-32,000 / month

Liquid assets:
    6-2011  $97k,  12-2011  $53k (-$44k),  6-2012  $30k (-$23k)

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    O[mod edit]

-Not only is this thread relative and very important , but honestly this should be something picked up by non gaming (and gaming alike) news agencies. There is a very buisness centric issue here...

What other publicly traded Corporation has ever (in HISTORY) asked for "Donations"? And since it IS a publicly traded corporation- A FOR PROFIT corporation- With Stockholders and all that Jazz, And DEBT , which is running in the Red- What really is going to happen with this money?

They can "say" anything, as SV has shown again and again that it has zero problem lying and its credibility is nil- But the folks in line with their hands out (the crediters) have every right to paid from any funds SV gets by begging, borrowing or stealing.

You see Sv is NOT a 501(c3) - Or a non profit- The Swedish equivelent- And donating to a for Profit Corporation is something which I have never seen done execpt when said profit company is involved in a charitible activity...This is pretty big news. Could you imagine Nike, or Apple or Microsoft or Coca Cola begging for donations ? Nor can I.

Again, Henrick Nystrom still remains CEO after two years of loss, terrible PR , lies (coming from him) Staff reductions and NOW begging for donations. It seems a Corporation would go through a TOP DOWN restructure before begging . Not the case with SV. No changes at the top it seems, no matter what.

So no, this is totally relevent.

EDIT: One thing which seems to be missed by many is that SV CHOSE to be a publicly traded corporation (which is far different from a "small company")- They could have done either, or even went the LLC route but CHOSE to sell Stock and thuse have an obligation to "split" any profit among stockholders. Stockholders are investers and partial owners in SV- There are obligations here far beyond "making a game"-

Anyone who would "donate" to them would be far better off buying that same amount in stock since if Sv ever turned a profit (lol) their shares would gain value in a like percentage. Sv is still selling shares (ownership) AND asking for donations where you get "in game rewards"- This is Historic.

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    GOD i had SUCH HIGH hopes for this game....but when i actually played it and found out how horrible it was i cryed myself to sleep...and actualyl prayed for E.A to buy it :p
  • CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Celusios
    [mod edit]

-Not only is this thread relative and very important , but honestly this should be something picked up by non gaming (and gaming alike) news agencies. There is a very buisness centric issue here...

What other publicly traded Corporation has ever (in HISTORY) asked for "Donations"? And since it IS a publicly traded corporation- A FOR PROFIT corporation- With Stockholders and all that Jazz, And DEBT , which is running in the Red- What really is going to happen with this money?

They can "say" anything, as SV has shown again and again that it has zero problem lying and its credibility is nil- But the folks in line with their hands out (the crediters) have every right to paid from any funds SV gets by begging, borrowing or stealing.

You see Sv is NOT a 501(c3) - Or a non profit- The Swedish equivelent- And donating to a for Profit Corporation is something which I have never seen done execpt when said profit company is involved in a charitible activity...This is pretty big news. Could you imagine Nike, or Apple or Microsoft or Coca Cola begging for donations ? Nor can I.

Again, Henrick Nystrom still remains CEO after two years of loss, terrible PR , lies (coming from him) Staff reductions and NOW begging for donations. It seems a Corporation would go through a TOP DOWN restructure before begging . Not the case with SV. No changes at the top it seems, no matter what.

So no, this is totally relevent.

EDIT: One thing which seems to be missed by many is that SV CHOSE to be a publicly traded corporation (which is far different from a "small company")- They could have done either, or even went the LLC route but CHOSE to sell Stock and thuse have an obligation to "split" any profit among stockholders. Stockholders are investers and partial owners in SV- There are obligations here far beyond "making a game"-

Anyone who would "donate" to them would be far better off buying that same amount in stock since if Sv ever turned a profit (lol) their shares would gain value in a like percentage. Sv is still selling shares (ownership) AND asking for donations where you get "in game rewards"- This is Historic.

As educating as your post was I still do not see the issue here. They are giving players the opportunity to basically purchase cosmetic & etc type of items while supporting a game they like. I do not like the progress of the game and cannot be bothered with it beyond news and forums of it but I still do not see an issue with a company reaching out to its players and asking for help.

Besides people spend money on way less reasonable things.