Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New dungeon will give us stronger armour

167891012»

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    It's not about the gear. It's about what we can do because of it.

Okay, I'll bite.  What can we do becuase of it?

Really? You don't understand? Or are you just baiting me?

• scarykids2scarykids2 Member UncommonPosts: 74

i quite enjoy reading the anarchy going on all the time with GW2. in my eyes it already flopped, i don't care about it nor do i care about peope defending it. but what i don't get is why people keep saying it takes skill to play.

5 weapon abilities, and 5 utility skills. and it really must take some skill to move your character i mean, even a monkey would move out of the way in a poo throwing war. GW2 is just simplistic is all. it holds comfort for those who enjoyed gw1, however, they are trying to revolutionize the genre. failing pretty hard there. it's like they got shot in both knee caps and are attempting to escape. 

i do, however, like the fact that they added a new gearset and are doing a very interesting dungeon. i also love the fact that Anet went back on their word about grinding way before they decided to implement this. ahahaha GG anet GG.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

WoW!  Harder dungeons give you better items!?

Why has no other developer thought of this!  Brilliant!

/Sarcasm Off

• scarykids2scarykids2 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by DAS1337

WoW!  Harder dungeons give you better items!?

Why has not other developer thought of this!  Brilliant!

/Sarcasm Off

ahahah this guy has it. 

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

He's asking you a question that you can't answer.  It's a good question.

You can go to an even harder dungeon to get even better loot... to go into meaningless PvP instances to get even better loot... to go to another dungeon and get better loot... 

Yeah, not much of a real point.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by scarykids2

i quite enjoy reading the anarchy going on all the time with GW2. in my eyes it already flopped, i don't care about it nor do i care about peope defending it. but what i don't get is why people keep saying it takes skill to play.

5 weapon abilities, and 5 utility skills. and it really must take some skill to move your character i mean, even a monkey would move out of the way in a poo throwing war. GW2 is just simplistic is all. it holds comfort for those who enjoyed gw1, however, they are trying to revolutionize the genre. failing pretty hard there. it's like they got shot in both knee caps and are attempting to escape. 

i do, however, like the fact that they added a new gearset and are doing a very interesting dungeon. i also love the fact that Anet went back on their word about grinding way before they decided to implement this. ahahaha GG anet GG.

On the other hand I keep reading the complaints about graveyard zerging - maybe it is hard to move out from a red circle when the red circles are covering all the floor and you have a few enemies shooting at you.

And yeah some 7000 posts in a forum really means a dying game...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

You can go to an even harder dungeon to get even better loot... to go into meaningless PvP instances to get even better loot... to go to another dungeon and get better loot... 

I won't answer due to baiting. Your post proved why.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    So this armour is only useful/necessary for use in the new dungeon because of the new condition, Agony? 
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Badaboom
    So this armour is only useful/necessary for use in the new dungeon because of the new condition, Agony? 
    So far what we know is: The armour is useful throughout PvE and WvW but not PvP, infusions are only useful against the mobs in the dungeon.

Originally posted by Badaboom

Higher stats work everywhere.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

I won't answer due to baiting. Your post proved why.

You don't answer because stats is an artificial way of gating content.

Difficulty of content isn't measured in stats.

A wolf hitting for 500 damage when I have 500 health is as hard/easy has a wolf hitting for 5000 damage when I have 5000 health.

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    Sounds to me like a WoW raid that ppl will have to do over n over n over to grind and get geared for sumthing...and so the decent into a WoW clone begins....
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Does anyone know the drop rate of the ring? 

Looking at the dungeon  something seems a bit different from the norm, any thoughts?

Also did ANET mean adding more Tiers or pieces of ascendant?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Raekon

I agree that it equals weak design when people add higher stats to equal harder mobs which are also based on higher stats only.

However, that's something we don't really know cause "stronger content" could also mean:

-  more difficult dungeons

-  more difficult enemies as the AI using additional tactics they are given through environment, traps and such to make our life even harder than it already can be, instead of having higher stats only.

As about GW1 I indeed "hated" the slavers exile and mostly the hard mode on places, cause if you went alone or with heroes (even with a full team sometimes), you mostly ended up at 60% death penalty in no time. :p

I didn't say that someone with exotics isn't stronger than someone with rares or green/blue items.

However, I saw level 35 people with green/blue items in the AC (as example), surviving much longer than level 80s with exotic or rare gear.

This fact already speaks for itself in my opinion that if you don't know how to play your character well, no gear will help you in GW2.

Yes the ascended items are adding +2 to +3 points over the stats of a exotic with gems in the rings case but even if it adds like that for the armor, it's still not gamebreaking, nor does it have to mean that .

The gem on the exotics also gives you more combination possibilities cause you can mix things up through them more.

In the ascended case you are going with what you have and that's it.

Again challenge has nothing to do with stats, so challenge can increase without changing stats, vide the mad king clock tower, no stats involved.

Since challenge isn't tied to stats we can drop that argument.

The second argument isn't very interesting - balance is always done at highest skill levels.

Beating a "noob" with a handicap doesn't meant the handicap isn't there, just means the skill gap is bigger than that.

So, this argument is also void.

The ring -. it is an example that shows exotic->ascendant differences. There will be rings matching all the possible exotic configurations.

Again, if ascendent weren't bis, legendaries wouldn't be updated to match ascendant stats.

Once again, void argument.

They are adding +stats because (some) people equate that to more power and progression.

It is all there.

I, that i'm not a game designer, could add te content, the skins, the infusion and agony mechanic without adding a tier of items that added more stats.

Anet is adding more stats because they want to since they are equating stats with power and progression.

- actually introducing a new armor with no difference to the exotics only because of the infusion slot would be dumb and that's why they added the slightly increased stats but with the difference that you are less flexible on changing them than you are with the gems on the exotics

Cause with a gem you could go as example: toughness, magic find, vitality while your armor has precision, power and so on...

The Ascended on the other hand, doesn't have such combos and it's either the one or the other and that's it.

Due to this you are boosting only 3 abilities with ascended while you can boost 6 abilities with exotics (even the stats are lower then).

- the skill gap argument isn't void, it just shows that designwise the game is still skill over power instead of unbalance through power like you are trying to prove here the whole time.

- you can take as many rings as you want configurationwise, there will still be the difference that with exotics you will be able to boost up to 6 stats while with ascended you can boost only 3.

This setup gives you a advantage on the 3 stats solely due to the higher stats but the exotics wearer is  more flexible and has a boost on areas you don't have through the extra stats the gem is giving.

So once again not a void argument but one that doesn't suit the mindest you already setup yourself and basing your opinion upon.

Your mindsest: ANet adds more power, the design is cheap

My mindset: they are keeping the balance, they are following the lore, they are trying to prevent us for having extra problems and bugs with armor that already works in the game

As a designer myself I can assure you that your practical thinking on "updating" the current armor would mainly lead to many problems because they already have a slot which is connected to the gems and adding a infusion slot on all available items in the game will lead to bugs, broken functions, code issues among others.

There are millions of players in the game wearing many different types of armors in various combinations.

Since it is a mmo, you can't handle it as if it were a offline game that contents like 30 pieces of armor and that's it.

So introducing a new armor that has the infusion slot is better for the developer AND the players, cause no matter how it turns out, both parties will have to deal with one part of a set of armors at the beginning and if issues appear, they will be able to fix them and update much faster and easier.

That's something they wouldn't be able to do with all the sets of exotics currently in the game and something that would affect everyone currently wearing it. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Serelisk

Originally posted by Serelisk /thread
      I love it when devs use social media to be make passive aggressive remarks about their customers. Stay classy anet
    -shrug- MK's made posts like that before and Anet apparently hasn't advised him against doing so...  Odd way for community manager to approach it, but whatever. It does sound a lot more sincere than taking an apologetic tone because he actually seems annoyed enough to do that. I guess that's how I'm gonna rationalize that anyway.  
    It is his private twitter.
    Private Twitter? Lol thats an oxymoron  
    He isn't talking in a Arenanet official channel so whatever he says is irrelevant.
    Hehe sure buddy :)

If you prefer personal twitter instead of private life twitter be my guest.

Arenanet as a company isn't liable for whatever their employees say in their personal/private life, so I wouldn't be surprised whatever he says is the exact opposite of reality.

That would be true if he weren't talking about the game which is his job.  Most companies frown very much on employees that discuss work in any detail outside of work and certainly when discussing it with current or potential customers.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Infusion in GW1 was awesome, you can really customize your armour how you want. It's almost like mini-traits.

In GW1 these upgrades were called inscriptions and runes. But I agree the system is very nice.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    What I don't understand is, if the game was supposed to be about skill, not gear and gear was supposed to only matter cosmetically, then what was the point in adding stats into the game in the first place?  An illusion of depth?

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    What I don't understand is, if the game was supposed to be about skill, not gear and gear was supposed to only matter cosmetically, then what was the point in adding stats into the game in the first place?  An illusion of depth?

Kinda, the stats only give you a slight edge. In the end it still comes down to skill.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Seriously.  It's like they're just confused, and don't have a clear idea of which side of that issue they want to come down on.  They're probably afraid of alienating players who will disagree, but by getting caught in the middle, they're alienating both sides.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

The main stats themselves allow for mechanics and force choices - they are valves and knobs for players to tinker with.

But the numbers displayed are arbitrary since what matters is the algorithms that control them - 1000 armor halving damage taken or 5 armor halving damage taken is fluff.