Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible to play without large guild?

PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I only have one other friend who would likely be willing to play a more intense game like this with me and was curious if he and I could make our way in DF being new to the series and generally uninterested in guilds/guild politics/sieges and all that noise.

I haven't put much research into the game as honestly this point alone would be a make or break for us most likely.

Appreciated.

Comments

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Depends on how creative you guys are. Can you set yoursefl goals like owning a house or a ship. Do you want to become crafters and sell your goods or become traders and gain huge amount of money.

Darkfall also had lots of impressive 2 man groups PvPing and beeing feared. Even better with the contract system in which you can make some money if you offer your PvP skillz for money.

How ever it all depends what your are willing to invest and how creative you are.

And if you suck in the field you wanted to do darkfall will show you this and that can be frustrating.

I for example prefered to play alone mostly but in guilds, i owned personal ships and a fully upgraded house which is quite an achievment because all the items are rare random drops. all this required heavy socializing with other players also outside of the guild.

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Short answer:  Yes

Long answer: No

Of course you can play solo or with only a friend or two.  Will you experience all that the game has to offer?  Absolutely not!  Darkfall is a harsh world, especially when populated.  The safe zones will only contain nooby (not profitable) areas, so that means in order to advance from noob status you will need to adventure out into the world to find better farming spots.  In a populated world like we will have when the game releases there will be tons of competition for better farm spots.  This means that people will try to KILL YOU AND TAKE YOUR STUFF!!  And they won't be nice just sending 1 person after you, it will be 20 people coming over the hill to mercilessly slaughter you and you buddy.

Now you don't need a large zerg guild to be successful, in fact a large guild will probably diminish your player skill development in favor of zergier tactics.  However, what you will need is FRIENDS, you can be a part of a small guild of 10-20 and be a part of an alliance which will help to protect you and allow you to farm.  As far as an alliance letting in a 2 man clan, thats not gonna happen.

Darkfall is an extremely dangerous place, especially when the population is large.  Its all about resources and if you can't take them you won't be able to progress in the game.  So, if you plan on going into this with the mindset of solo, solo, solo don't waste your time because you will never get anywhere.  You can play solo for a little awhile, but eventually you will hit a wall and won't be able to advance period and then boredome will set in.

P.S.  In DF1 solo play is possible right now because of the low population and extremely experienced, well financed, "good" players.  If you know what your doing, have the gear and the knowledge it is possible to play solo.  Those skills and banks take years to develop, and you, with no experience will never make the learning curve.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I appreciate the honest responses.  We have no fear of the learning curve, deaths, or skill requirements.  We're also not opposed to making friends or joining guilds, we just don't have any in DF and don't really give a damn enough for most guilds if they're anything resembling the large guilds from standard MMOs that require meetings or set roles and all that.

We'd likely be fine playing nomad or hermit or merc lots in life if possible. 

I'm really drawn to this game but it feels like the community is very much set and we're just behind the times on it.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Most of my Darkfall time was in a clan of 5 people. You just have to be clever. Know when to scavange, when to ambush, when to run (important) when to steal from player cities, and if you can find allies and help them out, all the better.
  • wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Yes. My guild had 8 members. We were solid.  Joined a nice sized alliance for large battles. Got to do our own thing at the same time. Was a nice set up.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    All things are possible, but I will be rolling with a large clan. This sort of title really rewards cooperative, large group play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Popori

we just don't have any in DF and don't really give a damn enough for most guilds if they're anything resembling the large guilds from standard MMOs that require meetings or set roles and all that.

I don`t understand why you want to play Darkfall.

Yes, you can do alot of things solo, but the fun stuff requires a sizeable clan. You will never experience the large battles, shipbattle, sieges, good farming spots, politics and drama. You will resort to farm low level NPCs close to the startercitys and your pvp will be hit and run on stragglers. The moment you kill another player, he will tell his clan in mumble where you are and 20 players will hunt you down.

My advice is that you and your friend join a decent clan. You don`t have to spend all time with your clan,  you just help out when needed. Usually the time your clan needs your help is the fun part of Darkfall, so it`s a win win. Play with your friend when you are killing NPCs and do small scale pvp. Meet the rest of your clan when you are doing the fun stuff in Darkfall.

I`m in a 50+ clan, and it`s perfect. I get to do all the sieges, sea towers, large battles, alliance and high end mobs. I get to know all the tricks, provided usefull info, get safety, all the high end gear, kill high end mobs etc. And when nothing fun happens, I can just do the boring stuff you and your friend are doing.

Join a decent clan no matter what, because I don`t want you to waist epic time messing around alone. Just ask any former Darkfall player.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Joining a clan with your friend has another pro. You learn all the secret pretty fast and can later on maybe decide to go solo with your knowledge.

Really the most important thing in darkfall is knowledge, information about good farming spots, how to farm them. PvP Hotspots, PvP tricks ( spell combinations etc.) can in total make the game alot easier. Finding this out alone takes time.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Popori

I only have one other friend who would likely be willing to play a more intense game like this with me and was curious if he and I could make our way in DF being new to the series and generally uninterested in guilds/guild politics/sieges and all that noise.

I haven't put much research into the game as honestly this point alone would be a make or break for us most likely.

Appreciated.

Some 100% did this, its not uncommon at all to see people rolling with a very small group or solo.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"