Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Reasons to Check Out SWTOR F2P

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Well, I for one am looking forward to getting back into the game for a little bit. Re-subed for a month yesterday. I don't think it will ever have enough going on for me to treat it as along term sub option but really enjoy playing it for a month or two at a time. Looking forward to rolling a new toon and seeing all the new little people running around and spending all my coins on crap I don't need and regreting it afterwards....But that's afterwards :) MUHAHAHAHHAHA!
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I got to say when I read "a solid game" I just about fell in the floor.  WE obvouly not played the same game.

As far as free story yest, but free to play players only get 2 character slots.  Not to mention all the roadblocks they put in the way.  It is not even worth coming back with my level 50's as they all had purple gear, guessing they will be naked now.

Solid no,  shallow yes.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by achesoma
    If I hear one more time that the "sub-fee" was the problem players had with SWTOR I'm gonna punch a kitten in the face.  Seriously, that is the biggest bunch of BS.  How about starting with something like game performance?  Is that improved?  I seemed to have an awful lot of lag and drop in fps for game that's so heavily instanced. 

Sub-fee was the problem with SWTOR.  Now....could you PM me photos of the punched kitten..cause I don't believe you. : )

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

To celebrate F2P EA is having 12 hours of downtime on the F2P release date.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/scheduled-maintenance-game-update-1.5-november-15th-2012

The common thing in every swtor thread is there is a bunch of complaints and humor to make fun of the game. Look at the MMO fanbase :).

The point is that it makes no sense to push F2P when your servers are going to be down on the F2P release date which is clearly zero insight on the developers part. 

Ironically this is why this game is F2P.

While I love the game, their implimentation of FTP is about how they've run the game since it first went live, a running joke.

People will log on, find out they have to play the game with their left nut in a vice, and go back to their OTHER MMO. I mean seriously, you have to PAY for your quick slots? REALLY? When this launch fails, they should fire the guy who stood up at the meeting and laid out this plan, because he has absolutely no clue how to make money. from a paying public.

Maybe they think because their are no other Star Wars games out there that people will play regardless of the restrictions. Obviously they failed to learn the lesson they should have learned which made them HAVE to go to FTP in the first place.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I for one enjoyed the game, but after a couple of months did not want to pay a sub with so many FTP titles out there.  I am definately coming back, and may even spend a little money here and there.  I like to solo mostly, so this kind of game is right up my alley.
  • zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

sweet i can finally finish my storyline.

Its a decent game,it was missing soul,  but some fun could be had.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by achesoma
    If I hear one more time that the "sub-fee" was the problem players had with SWTOR I'm gonna punch a kitten in the face.  Seriously, that is the biggest bunch of BS.  How about starting with something like game performance?  Is that improved?  I seemed to have an awful lot of lag and drop in fps for game that's so heavily instanced. 

yeah but i bet you if they reduced it to $5 a month shitloads of peeps would sub..i know i would..has everyone has said before this game is not worth $15 a month or £8.99 in uk money.its an ok game but its certainly not worth $15.Rift is a way better game than this and if you sub for a yr you get that for £70+ the expnsion for free.works out at about £4 a month for me.

• protodoxaprotodoxa Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by protodoxa
    Uhm I read this article expecting to roll my eyes, but I am pleased to learn the Cartel Market is tied to the ingame economy. How does this work exactly? I am not sure I could stomach the game still with all the "story" but I like it when f2p choses this kind of economic implementation of the cash shop currency, so I'll probably check it out if only to see how it works in SWTOR, while skipping as much of the "story" as possible.

When you purchase anything from the in-game store, be it some sort of item or unlock it actually generates an item for you to consume. This item can be traded amongst other players via person-to-person trades or the auction house. There is a short cooldown before you can trade the item, though. This is implemented as a security measure.

All right; I might give it a spin by the end of the week, although it might have to stand in line behind EQ2 and GW2. I also looked at the website for how this affects the legacy system, and no information was immediately forthcoming. I'll check the f2p matrix now lol...

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Final straw for this game. Don´t think it will work, unless they announce some completely NEW game features tomorrow too.

Where are the mini games? Where are planet revamps of these static, lifeless worlds? Where is a real JTL type space sim for god´s sake? What´s with the slow, zero physics speeders? What´s with the 2006 graphics and blurry textures and exhaustion zones?

Now it´s the same ol´ same ol´ things nobody was overly excited in the first place. Plus a cash shop tacked on.

I say "meh". I´ll look again if they announce an expansion, some day, if ever.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Is this a first for UI limitations on a F2P MMO?
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Is this a first for UI limitations on a F2P MMO?

i think so..that is really poor start for a ftp game..does'nt fill you with confidence

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

The only good about this failed project is that more people are waking up to what a MMO should be... and shouldn't.

Solid game? C'mon now...

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    If Mike can't even bring himself to admit the UI limitations are a bit much, I'm done reading anything he writes in the future.  I hope he's a volunteer writer because he doesn't have the "critical" part of critical thinking.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

My view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwtLh9AxlR8&feature=plcp

Slightly less optimistic but fair :P

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I will never play a game that forces you to PAY to unlock UI elements. THEY DIDNT EVEN HAVE them when the game launched. Now theyre charging for it. What next? Charge to open the map? Charge money each time you recall?

EA/Bioware is full of stupid.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by saxifr

The estimated 1.5 million who have dropped this piece of trash disagree with the author's opinion that this is a solid game.

It is most definitely a solid game, you guys are confusing the failure to live up to the hype with the game being rubbish. Most major mmo' that did not live up to the hype are in fact solid games, and most reviewers and gamers would agree. Most people that played SWTOR enjoyed it for the time they played it, but like all other games, they also moved on, but that doesn't mean that the game is trash. 

But let's not stop short of the hyperboles that these forums are so prone to, afterall everything that doesn't put out WOW sub numbers is a miserable failure. I often wonder if its the same sandbox crowd that keeps propeling these hyperboles, they can't attack WOW because of its enormous success, but SWTOR's failure is like a band of starving hyenas coming upon a limping gazelle.

• dhollidaydholliday Member Posts: 7

Great article. I totally agree with the comment about it being a "solid" game. I've been playing the Imperial Agent storyline and it's extremely well written and enjoyable. Warzones are also a lot of fun. Personally, I think "solid" is an understatement, but that's just my opinion based on my experience of playing it. :)

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Five reasons NOT to play SWTOR?

1 - It's SWTOR

2 - It's SWTOR

3 - it's SWTOR

4 - it's SWTOR

5 - it was full of lies from the beginning, more lies to come.

PS I still can't believe that it went f2p even sooner than most people here predicted...

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• OrrinnOrrinn Member UncommonPosts: 15

My problem with TOR wasn't the subscription fee. My wife, my friends, and I decided to pay that when it first came out. We left within a month for reasons other than the cost, and the game isn't about to get a massive overhaul, so it going f2p is a moot point.

Thanks EA/BioWare, but no thanks.

Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I will log back and check it, maybe stick long enough to finish my class lines, but I don't think it has a high chance...

A few corrections, if you don't mind. Since you listed reasons for check out the f2p :)

- it comes with update 1.5. Too bad, f2p's won't see any of that.

- integrated cartel market items, again f2p's cannot trade, so it's not a reason to them.

- class content is free, with mostly average f2p restrictions, and a few very unnoying ones. I'll go back for the story, but even I can't say for sure, that I will be staying.

- solid game. khm... nah, I skip this one, it would be too easy :)

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Did you dry heave while writing this Mike? Or chortle a little? cmon now you can tell us.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    It's not written by Bill, it's written by Mike.  I have no idea why they make it confusing by never letting the authors post their own articles.

It's a limitation of the content management system, Frodo.  Usually Suzie enters articles, or me, or Mike.  Whoever touches it last before it goes live the first time is who gets stamped on the forum post associated with the feature.  In this case, I touched it last.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    What is your definition of a solid game?  Being lead around by your nose ring everywhere?  Might be a good game to fool around for a month or two.  I personally like to spend more than that in a game.  EA should just write this game off as a really bad investment and move on.
  • Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

The author's definition of a solid game is this,

One that the devs predicted would be a WoW competitor in sub numbers , in fact "MORE" than compete , as in surpass,

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306437/bioware-old-republic-will-more-than-compete-with-world-of-warcraft/

that now is F2P less than a year after launch , and is do desparate for every nickel , they have gone beyone what any other mmorpg company has done , and is charging for UI toolbards.

That my friends , is the author's definition of a "solid game".

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I don't really understand why so many are harping on the "solid game" quote. 

It has amazing story based content.  It has interesting combat that was unfortunately plagued with responsiveness issues on release.  It had better dungeons than GW2.  It had fun albeit flawed PVP.  It simply offered the most enjoyable leveling I've experienced in a themepark MMO.  The problem was that leveling twice on the same faction wasn't nearly so fun.

To me it was a game I knew I'd come back to eventually.  It just wasn't, and still isn't, worth a subscription relative to what's on the market.  But I think the only games worthy of a sub are WOW, Rift and I assume EVE.

SWTOR will easily be the best F2P MMO on the market.  They just need to fix their nickle and dime payment model and unrestrict essentials to leveling like the 3rd and 4th action bars.  They should probably add an extra character slot or two to preferred accounts.