Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Beta to Now: Zero Complaints - Great game! (for me)

I feel compelled to chime in against what would appear to be the norm around these mmorpg/GW2 forums and drop my two cents on the state of the game. The reason I feel driven to do such is because reading all of the driveling pessimism for this game that seems to dominate the general forum seems, to me, to be incredibly misleading to someone who may not have yet tried the game for themselves.

To those who have earnestly played the game and don’t like it: That’s cool… I hate pickles, my brother loves them… I don’t troll the Vlasic forums with my dislike of their product. Please go be productive on the forums for a game you do like. You are adding nothing constructive to this area.

To those who have not tried the game and are attempting to evaluate it by reading the general comments on these forums: RUN AWAY! As fast as you can… these forums will do nothing but give you a deeply skewed idea of what the game is, how fun it is, etc. It is overrun with either haters or fanboys… those with a reasonable opinion are quickly drowned out in the static.

Considering the purchase? Wondering if it’s worth your money? It’s 60 bucks… no monthly fee… will offer you no less than 60 hours of gameplay even at its worse. That’s a dollar an hour for entertainment that will be more satisfying than at least half of the movies you’ve ever paid 10 bucks to see in a theater. It is ABSOLUTELY worth the purchase price, and if you DO like it (like me) you’ll get much more mileage out of the game than just 60 hours. I’m at about 150+ and for me, it’s getting even MORE exciting than less as I’m now playing at end-game caliber and the dungeons and WvW are all the much more exciting when you’ve unlocked all of your skills/traits and can really start playing with builds.

MY OPINION ON THE GAME: Best MMO I’ve ever played. Hands down. Best PvE. Best PvP. Best art style. Best sense of solo/community play. WvW (once you start playing strategically) is a full-fledged AAA title in and of itself. Gain XP by doing basically anything. The closest I’ve seen to actual PvP balance in an MMO EVER (it’s not perfect, but it’s worlds better than the competition). Best events. Best holidays. Best Auction House. Best score.

I personally cannot say enough good things about the game. I played GW1 for about a week before it bored me to tears… so I am far from a fanboy (other than that AFTER playing the game extensively… I am indeed a fan)… this is not GW1. Yes, there is a LOT of room for improvement… but hell, the Halloween event was amazing and the November update looks to be akin to what other MMOs may call an expansion… and we’re only a couple of months in past launch. Couple this with the fact that the developer seems incredibly responsive to feedback and I honestly can’t fathom how people can bash this game without having some weird, overinflated sense of entitlement to an imaginary level of perfection.

Ok, rant over… just had to say a few good words about the game.

Cheers!

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Not "best" for me, but definitely part of the top 5. Yeah, even with the latest changes.

It still takes some serious balls to release an AAA MMORPG which goes against the WoW clone trend, and GW2 is still doing that.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

mods - Are we allowed to take bets on how long it takes for a "non GW2 gamer" to come in and suggest his preference is wrong?

OP - Glad you enjoy the game, me and my circle of friends enjoy it alot as well.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

It's not perfect, by any means. There is no perfect game.

But is it the best MMO? Yeah, for now it is.

Unless you only want to raid, in which case it's a toss up between WoW and Rift. But really, who still wants to do the same stuff they've already done for 8 years now.

As an overall package, GW2 has it all really. And it's no-subscription cost. Immense achievement, especially considering the halloween event content, and the new update being pushed this week. Really pretty insane actually, I have no clue where they are getting all the money to do all this stuff. People must be buying hundreds of dollars worth of gems, which seems unlikely.

They even banned most of the bots last week.

It's like they're running on solar power or something.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

I still enjoy it, playing casually with one friend at least.   It is rather disheartening though that of the 26 friends on my friend's list only one is actually ever on anymore and still seems to be playing.    WvW can be a blast.  SPvP is simply not interesting to me, I don't care for esport in my MMORPG.   Also it just doesn't pop like League of Legends does, where I actually really, really enjoy that PvP in that playstyle.    So I hope they do more with the WvW.    Gameplay is great though, to me, and I still relate it to Diablo style ARPG fun for me.  Except with WvW.   Which is great.   In that spirit as well, I think they really need to add in a LFD/LFG tool and a way for us to have multiple builds.   As is, I don't see any reason for not having them.   

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

I still enjoy it, playing casually with one friend at least.   It is rather disheartening though that of the 26 friends on my friend's list only one is actually ever on anymore and still seems to be playing.    WvW can be a blast.  SPvP is simply not interesting to me, I don't care for esport in my MMORPG.   Also it just doesn't pop like League of Legends does, where I actually really, really enjoy that PvP in that playstyle.    So I hope they do more with the WvW.    Gameplay is great though, to me, and I still relate it to Diablo style ARPG fun for me.  Except with WvW.   Which is great.   In that spirit as well, I think they really need to add in a LFD/LFG tool and a way for us to have multiple builds.   As is, I don't see any reason for not having them.   

This sort of my problem too. I enjoy the game, quite a bit, but my friends list and guild roster has literally gone completely dark. Not a single person playing anymore, and no, they didn't just transfer, they walked away from the game. 

I now pretty much play it as a game to duo with my wife, and we are good with that, but it is losing its luster a bit now, admittedly.