Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razer Synapse 2.0 and Internet Connectivity

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It seems the latest Razer products using the Synapse 2.0 drivers require the user to not only register online to get the full functionality out of the drivers, but internet connectivity is required. There are also provisions in the license agreement that allow Razer to gather information on what the user is doing, and then to sell that information to third parties.

I'm really disappointed about this. I've build a peripheral myself (gaming keyboard) with on board memory, Windows Control Panel, etc. I know what those off the shelf components cost me, and how long it took to write the control panel. It is not feasible that a company like Razer would require user data be stored in the 'cloud' for cost reasons. They are doing it to collect information from their users.

Theoretically, you're supposed to be able to operate in 'offline' mode, but that doesn't seem to work as well as Razer says. If your internet connection goes out, or if Razer's servers go down, the advanced features of your peripheral no longer work. It's lame.

It would be different if Razer asked people to participate. I can almost see the tidal wave of people giving Razer their info and money in order to be part of a product improvement system. They didn't do that though. The rolled out Synapse 2.0, and moved functionality out of the peripherals and into the 'cloud'. Just, lame.

For Reference:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/why-the-hell-does-this-mouse-need-to-connect-to-the-internet/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregvoakes/2012/11/08/razer-under-scrutiny-after-rumors-of-synapses-alleged-spyware/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1319323/razer-synapse-2-0-software-mouse-unusable-if-you-dont-have-an-internet-connection-or-their-servers-are-down/70

http://betanews.com/2012/11/08/razer-synapse-2-0-is-a-good-idea-gone-wrong/

I have been buying Razer mice for about 10 years now. I've talked people into buying Razer mice because the DeathAdder is probably the most ergonomic mouse that exists, and that will ever exist. This would probably explain my level of disappointment.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Umm....I have a Razer Deathstalker, Hydra, Naga, and Nostromo o.O

All of them work even without internet connection.

I would know because I had no internet for about a week during the whole hurricane sandy thing and I was able to use all of them while playing old offline games o.o 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    I have Nostromo too and love it. He's talking about newest products (and probably everything Razer will release from now on). This is totally unacceptable and yes, we will have to stop buying Razer devices for them to roll back their stupid decision.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by IstrebiteI
    I have Nostromo too and love it. He's talking about newest products (and probably everything Razer will release from now on). This is totally unacceptable and yes, we will have to stop buying Razer devices for them to roll back their stupid decision.

Yes, it's all the new devices that use the Synapse 2.0 software.

Registering the device is not optional. You have to connect to their servers to register new devices. It is possible to elect to run in offline mode, but it seems that's buggy and causes some issues. If players do not elect to run in offline mode, the device's general performance is inferior to the device running in offline mode. If players do not elect to run in offline mode, if their internet connection goes down or Razer's server go down, the device no longer works. It's not clear if the player can run in offline mode without a connection to Razer.

There are no good reasons for any of this. They should allow players to opt-in, not require them to opt-out. If players opt-in, when there's no connectivity or Razer's servers are down, there should be no difference in the player's experience. All of the information going to Razer has to go through their stupid driver software anyway, so there's no reason that the driver software can't cache the information when there's no connectivity or Razer's server are down. It's not just an evil corporation trying to get information and sell it, they did a bad job of it too.

Bah! Very disappointed. I can't even bring myself to use proper grammar.

>:|

The deathstalker requires razer synapse 2.0 and it seems to work exactly the same offline.  The main difference was that I had to use the synapse to get all the apps downloaded to it but after that, I could use them all offline.   Or at least I could use the non internet-related apps offline :O

Setting up macros, changing keybinds, creating profiles, etc all work offline for me in synapse 2.0.

Edit : Just tested it again.  created new profiles, macros, and set ups online.   I then restarted the pc and turned off my router.  Everything works fine and all the stuff i created online are still there.  You only need to be online for the initial driver install n stuff but after youve done your first log in and got everything installed using synapse 2.0, yo ucan use it offline and online and whatever o.o

Also! Portable firefox ftw! That metro IE sucks :( it wouldnt let me click the change color thingie for the font here

TLDR : You only need to be online for the initial activations/driver installed.  synapse is the one that installs the drivers  and configurators instead of the old way of downloading and installing seperate thingies for each of your razer stuff (that fills your taskbar to the brim if youre like me)

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle
    The deathstalker requires razer synapse 2.0 and it seems to work exactly the same offline.  The main difference was that I had to use the synapse to get all the apps downloaded to it but after that, I could use them all offline.   Or at least I could use the non internet-related apps offline :O Setting up macros, changing keybinds, creating profiles, etc all work offline for me in synapse 2.0. Edit : Just tested it again.  created new profiles, macros, and set ups online.   I then restarted the pc and turned off my router.  Everything works fine and all the stuff i created online are still there.  You only need to be online for the initial driver install n stuff but after youve done your first log in and got everything installed using synapse 2.0, yo ucan use it offline and online and whatever o.o Also! Portable firefox ftw! That metro IE sucks :( it wouldnt let me click the change color thingie for the font hereTLDR : You only need to be online for the initial activations/driver installed.  synapse is the one that installs the drivers  and configurators instead of the old way of downloading and installing seperate thingies for each of your razer stuff (that fills your taskbar to the brim if youre like me)

Did you have to opt for the 'offline mode'? Everything I've read, and even the response I got from Razer said that players had to select offline mode for all of that to work.

Umm..theres an offline mode button?  Never tried it o.o  I just started with the internet disconnected from the router and it worked fine o.o  From what I can see, you just need to be online for the synapse to download and install the configurator for your device and itll work o.O  Sec lemme look if I can sswitch to offline mode

Edit  : I cant find an offline mode button.   Am I supposed to sign out for that?  Cuz it auto signs me in whenever it runs regardless of whether im connected to the net or not. Also if you are not online when you first plug in your razer stuff, thats equal to not downloading the configurator pre-synapse2.0  so I guess thats what they mean?  Also have you not tried synapse 2.0 for yourself?  Its compatible with alll razer devices o.o

I relogged and I now have the choice of saving my local settings to the cloud or downloading my cloud settings. So they do in fact get stored locally. 

( o.o)
    (")(")

Umm..theres an offline mode button?  Never tried it o.o  I just started with the internet disconnected from the router and it worked fine o.o  From what I can see, you just need to be online for the synapse to download and install the configurator for your device and itll work o.O  Sec lemme look if I can sswitch to offline mode Edit  : I cant find an offline mode button.   Am I supposed to sign out for that?  Cuz it auto signs me in whenever it runs regardless of whether im connected to the net or not. Also if you are not online when you first plug in your razer stuff, thats equal to not downloading the configurator pre-synapse2.0  so I guess thats what they mean?  Also have you not tried synapse 2.0 for yourself?  Its compatible with alll razer devices o.o  I relogged and I now have the choice of saving my local settings to the cloud or downloading my cloud settings. So they do in fact get stored locally. 

:-)

Your experience doesn't even match what Razer says should happen. It doesn't seem to jive with what other people who aren't Razer are experiencing either.

Did Synapse 2.0 come with your device, or are you using it with an older device?

Originally posted by lizardbones

Umm..theres an offline mode button?  Never tried it o.o  I just started with the internet disconnected from the router and it worked fine o.o  From what I can see, you just need to be online for the synapse to download and install the configurator for your device and itll work o.O  Sec lemme look if I can sswitch to offline mode 

Edit  : I cant find an offline mode button.   Am I supposed to sign out for that?  Cuz it auto signs me in whenever it runs regardless of whether im connected to the net or not. Also if you are not online when you first plug in your razer stuff, thats equal to not downloading the configurator pre-synapse2.0  so I guess thats what they mean?  Also have you not tried synapse 2.0 for yourself?  Its compatible with alll razer devices o.o

I relogged and I now have the choice of saving my local settings to the cloud or downloading my cloud settings. So they do in fact get stored locally. 

:-)

Your experience doesn't even match what Razer says should happen. It doesn't seem to jive with what other people who aren't Razer are experiencing either.

Did Synapse 2.0 come with your device, or are you using it with an older device?

Synapse 2.0 is required for the deathstalker o.o and thats what Ive been testing it on. Along with my razer naga which doesnt really need it but stilll works in teh same way.

Only problem Ive come across is that restarting synapse sometimes leaves it unable to interact with the tactile keys and the apps for it (the touchpad for mouse still works though!)

Again, you have to think of the synapse 2.0 as a configurator downloader.  If you dont use it, its like using older razer products without the configurator.  From what I can see, the main complaint is the fact tht you need to log in to the synapse so that it downloads the configurator. Oh and the privacity thing.

Also, like the older razer products, you cant use most of the features without the configurator.

Edit : It seems that the twitter app for it works as a full on browser o.O  i somehow managed to reach the mmorpg.com website

( o.o)
    (")(")

Castille
    Lots of colored text.

If your experience is the normal experience, then requiring Synapse 2.0 isn't that big a deal. It makes me wonder if after the big server outage they fixed the issues with their software and what you have is an updated version that handles the switch from connected to disconnected smoothly. This would be a departure from their usual slow response, but a good one. :-)

I really wonder about that offline mode thing though. I got a message from Razer on Facebook (I posted angry to their Facebook wall) talking about the option for an offline only mode. Maybe in updating the software to work smoothly, the offline only option was removed. Or something. If they updated it.

I still don't like that it requires a player to connect and register, even once, to get the device working, and there is the privacy thing too, but if the software doesn't actually get in the way of the user experience, then it probably won't adversely affect their sales.

Eh..there hasnt been a razer device I had where I didnt go and download the configurator for so I was just like "ehhh might as well just download it..." and I was pleasantly surprised when it autodownloaded the stuff for my naga too when I plugged it in. 

If you have old razer devices, you can download the synapse and test it yourself.  The Naga Im using is one from like...2-3 years ago o.o 

Edit : I also always registered my razer stuff on their site for yknoe...A 10-20$ off coupon for your next Razer thingie.

( o.o)
    (")(")

• CeldainCeldain Member UncommonPosts: 119
    i usee synapse 2.0 on my naga epic and it works just fine offline :|
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I have a Razer Deathadder mouse too.  I agree that Razer's Synapse 2.0 software is annoying as shit.  They claim that it doesn't require an internet connection to use after the install (their words not mine).  I've never tested it out for myself.  I might do that tonight.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Eh..there hasnt been a razer device I had where I didnt go and download the configurator for so I was just like "ehhh might as well just download it..." and I was pleasantly surprised when it autodownloaded the stuff for my naga too when I plugged it in.  If you have old razer devices, you can download the synapse and test it yourself.  The Naga Im using is one from like...2-3 years ago o.o  Edit : I also always registered my razer stuff on their site for yknoe...A 10-20$ off coupon for your next Razer thingie.

I have always registered my devices too. I have a login on their site with their forums and everything. I purchased my Mamba directly from their website. I'm definitely not opposed to registering stuff, especially when you get more free stuff. I also not opposed to companies collecting information, with the knowing consent of their customers. The things that bothered me about the stuff I've heard are:

1 The registration is now required, or the device will not be fully functional. You can't just download the drivers. This is not too big a deal. Most people expect to register their device anyway. It's not good, but it's not evil either.

2 Even with the internet connection up, the devices could be glitchy and the functionality that depends on internet connectivity would be glitchy. This is not acceptable for a peripheral device. Though...whether this is part of Synapse or not I don't know. My Razer Mamba is glitchy when I use it in wireless mode, and 'glitchy' could be ascribed to a lot of Razer things.

3 If the player did not opt for the offline mode, when their internet connection went down, their device would lose functionality. This is not acceptable, but this doesn't match your experience. This could be device specific, or maybe they fixed it. This could be nothing.

4 Razer put wording in their license agreement that allows them to sell whatever information you put in their cloud, and any information they gather for any reason. This is not acceptable, mostly because we don't really know what information is being sent to Razer, aside from the user device profiles. Even the games people are playing while using a Razer device is too much information to send to their servers without the user's knowing consent. This is also an unknown. The 'unknown' part is the bad part. They should be fully transparent about this bit.

I'm not fully sold on not buying a Razer product ever again, but at the same time, I'm not going to go out and get one right now either. I'm not going to install Synapse on my machine either until I have more information on exactly what information they can collect and what information they do collect. This is all weighted against buying a Logitech product where I don't have to even think about any of this. That's the worst part. These are peripherals. I shouldn't even have to think about what the peripheral software may or may not be doing. It should just work.

Ehh...Steam has that exact same statement and you dont see people mulling over it o.O 

As for not wanting to install well...you can always uninstall the synapse if you have the old configurators o.O  I use synapse 2.0 on my desktop for the naga and I use the old naga configurator on my laptop and they both work fine. I assume if you have the old configurators installer, you can just uninstall synapse 2.0 and install that or just download the legacy drivers if your thing doesnt support synapse2.0.

Edit :

Every other peripheral* I bought required me to install the software to use all the functionality so...

* - Means peripherals with added special functions such as macros, special keybindings, etc.

( o.o)
    (")(")