Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[General Article] Rift: Storm Legion Review In Progress - Part 1

13»

Comments

• donjndonjn Valencia, CAPosts: 770Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Samhael
     and the servers aren't even up yet. 

Its time to give Blizzard the creit they are due on this one:  They are pros at expansion launch.  Flip a switch at midnight and everyone can enjoy.  thats the way to do it.

You're kidding right? I am a Blizzard fan and the first day of the recent MoP launch was awful. No one could play. it was down for most of the first day.

• templarxtemplarx PretoriaPosts: 181Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The first dimension sucks.  It's just a tiny plot of land with an outhouse style building from the shores in Silverwood.  At least in EQ2 they give you an actual house and some decent starter items.

The great thing about the dimensions is that it uses free placement, rotation, x/y/z axis, and scaling.  The controls for this need to be improved (a lot), but that will come with some patching I suppose.

Not the worst launch ever, even though I spent an hour trying to get into the game.  Still not very polished and what I would expect out of Trion.  With their experience this should have gone smooth as glass.

I think you and many others missed the point of what Trion did here. You are actually saying "the empty space you get in Minecraft sucks" . Of course it sucks, you are suppose to do something with it. You'd think after the success of Minecraft people would -want- to build their own houses from scratch, now suddenly people want their houses handed to them so they can hang paintings on the wall? Seriously?

The fact that you can scale a single stone brick to the size of a stone "floor" covering the entire area implies you can flip that same thing and make a wall. You can build a house with 6 bricks. I find the ability to do that pretty amazing. I've been through LOTRO and EQ2, having a predefined house with x-rooms to place a bed and a table is not as satisfying as building the entire thing yourself.

I won't be surprised if people are going to get other players to help them build inside their dimensions (or even pay them?),  since it can be done.

I also think Trion wants to use this as a testbed for "player generated content". You don't have to build a house! Build a jumping puzzle and invite players to play YOUR content!  It will take very little effort from this current design for Trion to add more and more "objects" to use inside dimensions (quest givers? mobs to kill? )...think "design your own dungeon" here.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,222Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by templarx
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The first dimension sucks.  It's just a tiny plot of land with an outhouse style building from the shores in Silverwood.  At least in EQ2 they give you an actual house and some decent starter items.

The great thing about the dimensions is that it uses free placement, rotation, x/y/z axis, and scaling.  The controls for this need to be improved (a lot), but that will come with some patching I suppose.

Not the worst launch ever, even though I spent an hour trying to get into the game.  Still not very polished and what I would expect out of Trion.  With their experience this should have gone smooth as glass.

I think you and many others missed the point of what Trion did here. You are actually saying "the empty space you get in Minecraft sucks" . Of course it sucks, you are suppose to do something with it. You'd think after the success of Minecraft people would -want- to build their own houses from scratch, now suddenly people want their houses handed to them so they can hang paintings on the wall? Seriously?

The fact that you can scale a single stone brick to the size of a stone "floor" covering the entire area implies you can flip that same thing and make a wall. You can build a house with 6 bricks. I find the ability to do that pretty amazing. I've been through LOTRO and EQ2, having a predefined house with x-rooms to place a bed and a table is not as satisfying as building the entire thing yourself.

I won't be surprised if people are going to get other players to help them build inside their dimensions (or even pay them?),  since it can be done.

I also think Trion wants to use this as a testbed for "player generated content". You don't have to build a house! Build a jumping puzzle and invite players to play YOUR content!  It will take very little effort from this current design for Trion to add more and more "objects" to use inside dimensions (quest givers? mobs to kill? )...think "design your own dungeon" here.

I haven't missed the point at all.  I don't like the inital implementation.  In EQ2 you have the option for either route.  You can use their pre-defined structures, or you can use an open plot and build your own.  In EQ2 they start you off with something pre-built to get you started and then let you take your direction from there.

• lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member
    this game is so cool and awesome .totally love it :)

• RolleZRolleZ FalkenbergPosts: 37Member Uncommon
    If you are used to smooth and stable framerate, do NOT buy this game.
  • serapholseraphol bellevue, TNPosts: 33Member

I had two problems with Rift when I tried it in beta (3 if you count the ugly character designs). The first was how unbalanced the souls were, especially in pvp. As flexible as having that many souls made you, it also made it impossible to balance, so there ended up being cookie-cutter pvp builds. You couldn't go into a BG with your favorite souls and expect to compete. The second thing was just how mind-numbingly monotonous it got doing kill and fetch quests over and over and over again without any sort of variation. When WoW adopted the idea as a departure from straight grinding, it was welcome, but Rift (and WoW subsequentially) has taken it too far.

I want to try Rift again, but I'm afraid of these issues. Someone tell me whether they're still a factor.

13»