Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nice to see interest in Mortal starting to pick up

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

-Here it is....

Star Vault:

We here at CCP couldn’t help but notice that our expert wordsmithing, legal poetry and cunning turns of phrase have been emulated with sincerest flattery by your technical writing and/or legal staff. In fact, ardent fans of our EULA have surfaced, themselves noticing your homage to our work. See their assessment here: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/09/mortal-online-plagiarizes-eve-onlines-terms-of-service/

EVE Online is a notoriously dangerous universe. So we have to caution you -- in fact, we demand that you don’t follow our footsteps or use our copyrighted work. After all, internet spaceships are serious business, so probably best to keep our internet spaceship business out of your business language. Please stop using our legal agreements, and kindly remove our name from your website.

---
    What are people going to copy next... our spreadsheets?!

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

yea i have read all that beofre and i specifically rmeember someone pointing out a fantasy based f2p mmo that also had used eves eula but nobody seemed concerned about it.

Thats when people started speculating that maybe it was the compoany hired to write up the eula's that had been copying them, or maybe both had been lazy and copied the EULA from EVE.

I have no reason to be defending MO here, im just pointing out the truth.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by CroniteLore

I think this board has a huge contribution to make to the MMO genre.

Without sites like mmorpg.com lots of ppl would be playing sad humm drumm cookie cutter MMO's like Wow.

So, even if ppl disagree (and that's fine) the more we all talk about Mortal Online, and Star Vault the more people will take a look.

As with the recent elections, people have been told what to think but they made up their own minds and that's alesson to all.

Take a good, careful, look here, digest what the good andgreat are saying.  But as free-thinkin human beings - go make up your won mind. Don't be lead like a bunch of sheep.

Thanks to everyone here for keeping the Mortal Online topic fresh and and posting frequently!!   You're all doing a great job for the industry! 

You're all doing a service to Sandbox MMO's in general - so well done everyone!! MMO's are the new and future entertainment mode. Everyone here is doing a great job of keeping Mortal at the top of the page.  They deserve it - after several years, SV are carrying on despite what some of the crystal ballers here say. 

Love it or hate it you're all helping to make ppl take a look!!  Well done All of you - I really mean that - thankyou very much!!

We're allowed to disagree and have our opinions and that's what's great about a board like this.  Viva mmorpg.com!!!!

Good thread. Idd it's good to see MO on top of mmorpg.com so many times. Guys here ARE doing a a good job keeping MO on top, not letting it drift in dark chasms of oblivion.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by CroniteLore

I think this board has a huge contribution to make to the MMO genre.

Without sites like mmorpg.com lots of ppl would be playing sad humm drumm cookie cutter MMO's like Wow.

So, even if ppl disagree (and that's fine) the more we all talk about Mortal Online, and Star Vault the more people will take a look.

As with the recent elections, people have been told what to think but they made up their own minds and that's alesson to all.

Take a good, careful, look here, digest what the good andgreat are saying.  But as free-thinkin human beings - go make up your won mind. Don't be lead like a bunch of sheep.

Thanks to everyone here for keeping the Mortal Online topic fresh and and posting frequently!!   You're all doing a great job for the industry! 

You're all doing a service to Sandbox MMO's in general - so well done everyone!! MMO's are the new and future entertainment mode. Everyone here is doing a great job of keeping Mortal at the top of the page.  They deserve it - after several years, SV are carrying on despite what some of the crystal ballers here say. 

Love it or hate it you're all helping to make ppl take a look!!  Well done All of you - I really mean that - thankyou very much!!

We're allowed to disagree and have our opinions and that's what's great about a board like this.  Viva mmorpg.com!!!!

Good thread. Idd it's good to see MO on top of mmorpg.com so many times. Guys here ARE doing a a good job keeping MO on top, not letting it drift in dark chasms of oblivion.

Still, when 95% of the threads and posts are about bugs, low pop, shady business practices, corrupt GMs or hilariious scandals and epic failures (and the rest is obvious fanboy/SV propaganda and "viral marketing"), one would perhaps think that the chasms of oblivion are preferable. I can't think of any game with worse rep than MO.

And no, not all publicity is good publicity. OJ Simpson made a lot of headlines in his day, but did it really help his career that much? And a more recent example: News of the World. Lots and lots of coverage and media exposure - and what happened next?

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by deathshroud

yea i have read all that beofre and i specifically rmeember someone pointing out a fantasy based f2p mmo that also had used eves eula but nobody seemed concerned about it.

Thats when people started speculating that maybe it was the compoany hired to write up the eula's that had been copying them, or maybe both had been lazy and copied the EULA from EVE.

I have no reason to be defending MO here, im just pointing out the truth.

Were they lazy enough to not even edit out the "eve" part out too?

the shady dealing of sv consist of....

auto subbing accounts at release.

bending the rules to try to keep players ingame

lifting bans on players who were previously perma banned.

double charging players and leaving it down to the players to sort out refund.

cant really think of any other, possibly simply failing to deliver on what they promise but im not sure that is shady dealing. Its been a long time since any of them happened except the bending of the rules part, so its easy for players who didnt play during that first year to not know anything about it or be concerend about those issues afterall why would they be? Could happen again only time will tell.

if anyone can think of any others?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Death, give it a rest buddy.

If Eves EULA is so regulary stolen why can I only find THIS article.... http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/09/mortal-online-plagiarizes-eve-onlines-terms-of-service/  (and again, this is a MO forum- Many Corporations steal but we are talking about the corporation- Star Vault- Who makes MO)..

Now, I know its hard to stay on topic- But excusing copyright infringment and/or theft by pointing the finger and saying "X company does it too" isnt going to fly.

-Now we can get back on topic (which is all the sudden Interest in this stellar game)

EDIT: If someone can quickly find the Public Statement by CCP that would be awesome because THAT was funny as hell.

Love that EULA stealing, what a classic, funny as hell.

What that is saying is that basically if you play MO, as long as youa re not play EVE Online, you are entitle to a refund of fees paid haha :P

I think you guys should all asked for money back when that EULA was on MO :P

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

the shady dealing of sv consist of....

auto subbing accounts at release.

bending the rules to try to keep players ingame

lifting bans on players who were previously perma banned.

double charging players and leaving it down to the players to sort out refund.

cant really think of any other, possibly simply failing to deliver on what they promise but im not sure that is shady dealing. Its been a long time since any of them happened except the bending of the rules part, so its easy for players who didnt play during that first year to not know anything about it or be concerend about those issues afterall why would they be? Could happen again only time will tell.

if anyone can think of any others?

How about we start at the beginning.   They charged full price for a pre-ORDER immediately... not a pre-PURCHSE.. a pre-ORDER.  Then 6 months later they still hadn't shipped the game and claimed No Refunds.  This was against EU law as well as US regulations so people started getting charge backs.  At this point SV devided they legally had to ship something.. so they shipped discs that did not work.  Knowingly.  They literally could not be used to play the game.  Then they later (weeks later) patched so that the disc would just make you do a full 100% digital download.  Note that they also SOLD people that ALL pre-launch updates would be freely shipped on disc.  They promised they would ship out new discs at release... but never did.  A year later (late 2011) they promised that they would give in-game rewards to anyone who had purchased the box copy of the game and that they would do so very quickly.  Its now going on 2013 and they still have not done this yet somehow magically in like 3 weeks from a supposed player suggestion they have launched a donation site and in-game rewards for donors.. LOL.

I could certainly go on (I mean.. their original Customer Service person was named CS_SHADY.. you can't make this stuff up) but the point of the thread is supposed increased interest in MO.  From what i have seen, that is just simply not a true statement.  Action on this forum and the official one is quite low.  I would imagine when DF:UW releases next week it will go even lower  (although AV is another company with issues so we will see how that one turns out).

There is also a falacy that some cling to that there is no such thing as bad publicity.  This is simply not true.  When a restaurant is in the news because someone found a rat tail in their soup.. that is simply BAD PUBLICITY.  When a daycare center is in the news because they have a sex offender working for them.. that is BAD PUBLICITY. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

yea i forgot about the discs, i beleive the vet rewards are in which are cloaks though and came with the recnt patch. Its based on how many months you have had an active sub earns you points you can use to attain cloaks.

I didn't say Vet rewards. I said in game rewards for people who bought the boxed copy of the game which had unuseable disc and no updates. Those were promised by SV on these very forums back on 2011 and were said to be in really soon.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GMTheiaGMTheia Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    I didn't say Vet rewards. I said in game rewards for people who bought the boxed copy of the game which had unuseable disc and no updates. Those were promised by SV on these very forums back on 2011 and were said to be in really soon.

Interesting!  Hi( Slapshot/Herc, long time)  

Much, much later than I'd hoped (and yes that was a nasty paper-cut with lemon juice on it for me) Veteran Rewards are now in-game. So we didn't get there on time but we got there in the end. 

SV try hard but a lot of the time they're firefighting - so even tho I was expecting them in a matter of a month it took MUCH longer than I was told. 

That was a huge shame and I took a hit from that (and am still smarting a bit too) but either way Vet Rewards are in game now. 

I suppose that without recognition of a promise kept (if well overdue) you'll just move onto the next thing and in some ways that's fine. 

In terms of the fabled disc promise - I have explained numerous times (but happy to again) that I'm not going to be able to resolve this -  I tried to fix it at the time and was unable to. That said if in the future I am able, I will. 

There are some things that as a community no matter how many times you raise it we're not going to be able to fix. 

This is one of them and for that I'm sorry. 

Can we move on now please?  It has been years. 

GMTheia

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Because treating your customers poorly, and lying to them about promised items (physical media when buying the box in this case) has a statute of limitations?

i think the point of the veteran rewards was to provide compensation for those that were disatisfied with their material boxed versions of the game.

Seems like the vet rewards are available to everyone thet has subbed to the game but those that paid quite a lot for their special editions get nothing unique?

i think the point of the veteran rewards was to provide compensation for those that were disatisfied with their material boxed versions of the game.

Seems like the vet rewards are available to everyone thet has subbed to the game but those that paid quite a lot for their special editions get nothing unique?

You got the "sandbox" manuel filled with blank pages  and a tin box to keep your weed in along with a Blank Disc - If that isnt unique I am not sure what is =D

Plus we all got to see this Big, Bodybuiler looking dude almost cry when he got his loot bag- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3tVXpLyMx8 and THAT is the gift that keeps on giving.

these forums are a lost cause, you wont pursuade them with words or promises anymore, its gone beyond that and those who once defended the game feel let down by SV not delivering time and time again.

The only thing left for SV to do is to actually deliver results, unbroken patches, better dupe detection and features and bug fixes that work and improve the game. An improvement in subscriber base and better quartely reports.

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41

these forums are a lost cause, you wont pursuade them with words or promises anymore, its gone beyond that and those who once defended the game feel let down by SV not delivering time and time again.

The only thing left for SV to do is to actually deliver results, unbroken patches, better dupe detection and features and bug fixes that work and improve the game. An improvement in subscriber base and better quartely reports.

Theia is attempting to take the high road in terms of his responses here saying "Oh my my my, everybody is so wonderful at SV" when he knows full well the nature of Henrik over the course of the game being released. Encouraging people to buy stock in the company, promising features that *never* materialized, STEALING the terms of service from EVE Online, assuring that THIS PATCH will be different (but it never was, was it?), luring people to pay for beta access (even Darkfall didn't do that), and I'm sure many more things that I am not even aware of. Yet somehow, these are "real people" with "real feelings" and that makes a difference in terms of their REAL behavior?

It is unethical. You can take issue with the word all you like, but it is plain as day. Coming back to these forums so many months later to try to paint your game in a good light because your debt burden is so high, in order to get "donations" from the community is just sad and immoral.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Cleaned up a derail. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Originally posted by GMTheia

Much, much later than I'd hoped (and yes that was a nasty paper-cut with lemon juice on it for me) Veteran Rewards are now in-game. So we didn't get there on time but we got there in the end. 

SV try hard but a lot of the time they're firefighting - so even tho I was expecting them in a matter of a month it took MUCH longer than I was told. 

That was a huge shame and I took a hit from that (and am still smarting a bit too) but either way Vet Rewards are in game now. 

I suppose that without recognition of a promise kept (if well overdue) you'll just move onto the next thing and in some ways that's fine. 

In terms of the fabled disc promise - I have explained numerous times (but happy to again) that I'm not going to be able to resolve this -  I tried to fix it at the time and was unable to. That said if in the future I am able, I will. 

There are some things that as a community no matter how many times you raise it we're not going to be able to fix. 

You responded to a post that starts out saying "I didn't say Vet Rewards" by talking about Vet rewards... /sigh  Some things never change.

Firstly, My response was to someone who asked what other "shady" actions SV had done in the past.  Not delivering discs they sold to customers and repeatedly promised would certainly qualify as shady.  Whether it was yesterday or 5 years ago, the people managing the company haven't changed.  The day that MO is "Under New Management" is the day that will no longer be valid.

Secondly, please identify the "numerous times" you have explained how you could not resolve the Disc Issue?  The last update I found on the forums was from Jan 2012 when you said:  We can identify, through the DB all the different flavours of folk, boxed edition, BETA, Launch, Dawn and TC. YOU told us that people who purchased the Boxed Copy of the game would get some unique in-game rewards distinct from the Veteran Rewards.  Funny that hasn't happened, but magically people who donated money got in-game rewards even though this is supposedly an idea that just appeared by a fan a few weeks ago. (PS: adding a random cape to the game after reading this and claiming that's the reward would be laughable at this point)

The reason why you have no credibility is because you have repeatedly been proven to be wrong in your statements.  You came here on your OWN back in 2011 to make these statements:

Dec 2011:

So I am announcing today - here first - that we will shortly be rolling out Veteran Rewards to the Community.

This is a direct response to the long awaited DVDs and an apology for not delivering on those as promised. -snip-We've pulled the list from the Shop d/b yesterday evening and will be getting ready to implement this over the next week or so. -snip-I am telling you this now - rather than waiting a couple of weeks until we're ready. I accept that there is a risk to my credibility if SV does not come through with this promise. They will and I will too.

So a year ago you said  you were going to implement the rewards in a week or so... stake your own credibility on it... do not deliver for 11 months (1 week to 11 months.. wow..).. STILL have not delivered on unique rewards for the people screwed over by the non-working discs 2 years ago...and come back here after this huge absence just as SV is asking for donations... and honesty expect us to believe a single word you say? To top it off you then think you deserve some kind of "recognition for a promise kept"?  Really?  image

Dec 2011: AI is a full re-write so expect migrating mobs and AI that will pick you up and throw you around and all kinds of interesting things.  

Jan 2012: Also AI / PVE isn't a basic function, it is extremely advanced, migrating herds, much more interesting NPCs etc. I think you'll be suprised when you see what's coming soon (tm). 

Feb 2012 :  Quick Update on the China Server: We're finalising the last of the changes needed to MO to launch in that market -

Lots more... but I don't think we need to list them all one by one, but I certainly can if you prefer.

So while you may come here and once again say that interest in Mortal is starting to pick up (which you previously said a year ago), your past statements, do not lead me to believe that claim to be based on fact.  But you know what?  The next quarterly report is due out to the stock holders one week from today.  Let's see what it says!

Sorry, but you are not just a regular poster, you are here in an official capacity representing SV.  You do have to be held accountable for your false and misleading statements.

PS: I am certainly not Hercules... not sure why you continually think that.  You should have access to my original (banned for getting a chargeback from Visa) account in Mortal and be easilly able to verify that...

This is from a person who had the title of Exaulted on the MO forums and was one of their biggest supporters.  It's not ME that Thea should be concerned about, it is the mass of people like DeathShroud who have exhausted a seeminly endless supply of patience with the company.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

You got the "sandbox" manuel filled with blank pages  and a tin box to keep your weed in along with a Blank Disc - If that isnt unique I am not sure what is =D

Plus we all got to see this Big, Bodybuiler looking dude almost cry when he got his loot bag- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3tVXpLyMx8 and THAT is the gift that keeps on giving.

thanks for linking that video.  this comment from the person who posted it is epic.....

"The idea behind the game is good overall, the people making it have no idea in how to do it, the game itself should not be allowed to be available to the public, its like you trying to sell a car made of wood with wooden square wheels, with ants in the place of the engine.

Point is there are humans that have poor taste and quality standards that like this game, the good thing is they are a small minority. Try it, there are like? 300-400 people that like it."

my sides hurt now.  ty.

Originally posted by GMTheia

You responded to a post that starts out saying "I didn't say Vet Rewards" by talking about Vet rewards... /sigh  Some things never change.

Firstly, My response was to someone who asked what other "shady" actions SV had done in the past.  Not delivering discs they sold to customers and repeatedly promised would certainly qualify as shady.  Whether it was yesterday or 5 years ago, the people managing the company haven't changed.  The day that MO is "Under New Management" is the day that will no longer be valid.

Secondly, please identify the "numerous times" you have explained how you could not resolve the Disc Issue?  The last update I found on the forums was from Jan 2012 when you said:  We can identify, through the DB all the different flavours of folk, boxed edition, BETA, Launch, Dawn and TC. YOU told us that people who purchased the Boxed Copy of the game would get some unique in-game rewards distinct from the Veteran Rewards.  Funny that hasn't happened, but magically people who donated money got in-game rewards even though this is supposedly an idea that just appeared by a fan a few weeks ago. (PS: adding a random cape to the game after reading this and claiming that's the reward would be laughable at this point)

The reason why you have no credibility is because you have repeatedly been proven to be wrong in your statements.  You came here on your OWN back in 2011 to make these statements:

Dec 2011:

So I am announcing today - here first - that we will shortly be rolling out Veteran Rewards to the Community.

This is a direct response to the long awaited DVDs and an apology for not delivering on those as promised. -snip-We've pulled the list from the Shop d/b yesterday evening and will be getting ready to implement this over the next week or so. -snip-I am telling you this now - rather than waiting a couple of weeks until we're ready. I accept that there is a risk to my credibility if SV does not come through with this promise. They will and I will too.

So a year ago you said  you were going to implement the rewards in a week or so... stake your own credibility on it... do not deliver for 11 months (1 week to 11 months.. wow..).. STILL have not delivered on unique rewards for the people screwed over by the non-working discs 2 years ago...and come back here after this huge absence just as SV is asking for donations... and honesty expect us to believe a single word you say?

Dec 2011: AI is a full re-write so expect migrating mobs and AI that will pick you up and throw you around and all kinds of interesting things.  

Jan 2012: Also AI / PVE isn't a basic function, it is extremely advanced, migrating herds, much more interesting NPCs etc. I think you'll be suprised when you see what's coming soon (tm). 

Feb 2012 :  Quick Update on the China Server: We're finalising the last of the changes needed to MO to launch in that market -

Lots more... but I don't think we need to list them all one by one, but I certainly can if you prefer.

So while you may come here and once again say that interest in Mortal is starting to pick up (which you previously said a year ago), your past statements, do not lead me to believe that claim to be based on fact.  But you know what?  The next quarterly report is due out to the stock holders one week from today.  Let's see what it says!

Sorry, but you are not just a regular poster, you are here in an official capacity representing SV.  You do have to be held accountable for your false and misleading statements.

PS: I am certainly not Hercules... not sure why you continually think that.  You should have access to my original (banned) account in Mortal and be easilly able to verify that...

/Claps and wipe tears of happiness from my eyes.

Slapshot, If I had a daughter I would let you marry her. You Sir, are my new Hero.

That Post...Was...Just...Just...Beautyful.

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41
    Epic post. And we know that Theia won't bother responding, because he's only here to advertise.

First:  HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

Second: As I stated above, the quarterly report has been released today and yes of course it once again proves that Thea the official SV representative and the other folks continue to mislead regarding game population. 

The report clearly says that:

Subscriptions DECREASED again...

They lost money AGAIN... (About $300,000 in the first 9 month)

They no longer can estimate if/when they will break even...

They have a "strained liquidity" (ie.. no more money)

Looking for additional sources of revenue (ie donations)

Will try once again to list on Steam..

This is similar to all the other times people came here and tried to say population was booming, or increasing or things are better than ever.  The actual financials come out and prove them wrong.

Anyhow.. here is the link to the announcement:  http://www.aktietorget.se/NewsItem.aspx?ID_News=63778&Language=2

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110

First:  HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

Second: As I stated above, the quarterly report has been released today and yes of course it once again proves that Thea the official SV representative and the other folks continue to mislead regarding game population. 

The report clearly says that:

Subscriptions DECREASED again...

They lost money AGAIN... (About $300,000 in the first 9 month)

They no longer can estimate if/when they will break even...

They have a "strained liquidity" (ie.. no more money)

Looking for additional sources of revenue (ie donations)

Will try once again to list on Steam..

This is similar to all the other times people came here and tried to say population was booming, or increasing or things are better than ever.  The actual financials come out and prove them wrong.

Anyhow.. here is the link to the announcement:  http://www.aktietorget.se/NewsItem.aspx?ID_News=63778&Language=2

Thanks for posting this.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    ..and Theia is gone again. Just popped in same day they announced donations and have not logged in since then. That alone says enough about his agenda if anyone still had doubts :)