Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Chains of Eternity Launches

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that the latest expansion to EverQuest II, Chains of Eternity, has officially launched. The expansion gives players new prestige abilities, a level cap increase, new dungeons and much more.

"EverQuest II continues to innovate and surprise players with immersive designs and epic storylines," said Holly Longdale, Producer, EverQuest II. "For Chains of Eternity, we created a rich story arc in which players of any play style would discover a side of Norrath that has never been explored. In essence, we have expanded EverQuest II not by land or sea... but by afterlife." 

Find out more on the EverQuest II: Chains of Eternity page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Does it offer anything to a new player, this expansion?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

I dont think so (unless tradeskill prestige AAs start early enough).

Although AoD, the previous expansion, was VERY new player friendly with beastlords and mercs, and they rvamped both Qeynos and Freeport over the last year to offer quests at a variety of levels with some nice gear for new players.

So no, no real reason to buy this expansion as a new player, but AoD is probably worth it.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    AoD should be getting cheaper with this expansion coming out. But it's something for endgame players. All accounts (Bronze and Silver) have unlimited money now so you can buy the Kronos items in-game so you can get subbed.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This might be EQ2's last expansion.  The parent company, Sony, is very close to bankruptcy.  They have not made money for years.  Usually pieces and parts get sold off in bankruptcy court, so who knows what will happen to SOE, I can't imagine they are very profitable.
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    This might be EQ2's last expansion.  The parent company, Sony, is very close to bankruptcy.  They have not made money for years.  Usually pieces and parts get sold off in bankruptcy court, so who knows what will happen to SOE, I can't imagine they are very profitable.

They key thing is though all signs are pointing to SoE having rebounded.  EQ and EQ2 staffs have both expanded.  A profitable segment with a major IP would find a life somewhere, and other than EA they would be better with anyone but Sony. 

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    I really want to play a more old school fantasy pve game again with this type of variety starting from scratch. Considering this or Vanguard ATM.
    My EQ2 account last was used probably little more than a year ago with all expansions up to about then. I know I don't have AoD and possibly the one before that not sure though will have to check. For someone who doesn't mind subbing what expansions would be needed to if I wanted to start 100% over from level one and not run into any restrictions ? Up to AoD but this last one not needed for starting levels etc ?
    Thanks on advance for any advice
  • Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Dahkot72
    I really want to play a more old school fantasy pve game again with this type of variety starting from scratch. Considering this or Vanguard ATM.
    My EQ2 account last was used probably little more than a year ago with all expansions up to about then. I know I don't have AoD and possibly the one before that not sure though will have to check. For someone who doesn't mind subbing what expansions would be needed to if I wanted to start 100% over from level one and not run into any restrictions ? Up to AoD but this last one not needed for starting levels etc ?

With Everquest 2, the way it has always been is the newest expansion came with all the previous expansions.

Killing dragons is my shit

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Sony is not going bankrupt lol.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Well you seem determined to be the harbinger of Sony's doom (and may be accurate, who knows), but how is it that you know what you claim to know? I hope you are not someone who is simply trying to short sell Sony stock or something.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I haven't bought the xpac yet, but the coin cap has been removed and it is like night to day.  The game has suddenly become a lot more fun.  It's amazing the difference less draconian restrictions make on the feel of gameplay.

I find the stupid gear restrictions far worse to be honest. And those are still in place.

Nothing is worse than just playing the game and not being able to equip your loot and rewards! /sigh

Originally posted by Ripostethis

With Everquest 2, the way it has always been is the newest expansion came with all the previous expansions.

AoD is actually not included with the new expansion.

It does include DoV though.

DoV and the new expansion are max level expansion.

AoD is more of a 'features pack' and the two big perks are Beastlords and mercs.  The 1-20 zone for DoV is free to everyone, as are the updates to Freeport and Qeynos.

To answer the question sepcifically, AoD is all you would need for level 1-87.  87+ is when you can start DoV content.  

There is an MMORPG guild on AB server called  I N S T I N C T with about 50 or 60 folks who just started or restarted from level 1.

Originally posted by JeroKane
    I haven't bought the xpac yet, but the coin cap has been removed and it is like night to day.  The game has suddenly become a lot more fun.  It's amazing the difference less draconian restrictions make on the feel of gameplay.

I find the stupid gear restrictions far worse to be honest. And those are still in place.

Nothing is worse than just playing the game and not being able to equip your loot and rewards! /sigh

I don't like the gear restricitons either.  It's not that I can't afford to unlock them, but since it's a gear treadmill it's frustrating.  I would probably be happy with a compromise that quest and reputation rewards remain unlocked and drops are not.  I find it annoying that I went through the whole quest and rep chain to unlock the Risillian mount and then had to pay for it when my status dropped.  At the very least anything you unlock while Gold should remain that way.

They need *some* incentive to sub.  

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Ripostethis

AoD is actually not included with the new expansion.

It does include DoV though.

DoV and the new expansion are max level expansion.

AoD is more of a 'features pack' and the two big perks are Beastlords and mercs.  The 1-20 zone for DoV is free to everyone, as are the updates to Freeport and Qeynos.

To answer the question sepcifically, AoD is all you would need for level 1-87.  87+ is when you can start DoV content.  

There is an MMORPG guild on AB server called  I N S T I N C T with about 50 or 60 folks who just started or restarted from level 1.

Very much thanks , and yes I saw that thread and it was the one that got me interested again initially in it. Hoping to see about joining up and hoping also there are some older folks/parents/full time working adults etc who still love mmorpg's just have much more limited time now like me where popping in and out when can is the order of the day for the most part as far as playtime goes. 

Checked my account and its flagged for everything up to and including Sentinels Of Fate expansion. So if I purchased AoD I'd wouldn't miss out on anything until high levels into the 80's and then could purchase whatever needed then as in no need for newest or skipping DoV and just getting AoD is ok initially?

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

There's already arguably TOO MUCH content for new player in EQ2 and I don't meant that in a negative way, it can just overwhelm new players.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.