Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft stops supporting DirectX in WIndows 7, no more updates.

13»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    WIn 8 will never be as good as WIN 7. Sooner or later they will realise this.

Win 8 is great, as  long as you have a touch screen.

Sadly, we PC users rarely have that so for us is that true. Screw you microsoft!

You did the same with Windows 2000 so I had to change for the less stable XP but there you at least waited longer.

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    It's $40. Get over it.

That's not the point Vassago, many people will not upgrade even if it was $1 because of the nature of the OS.

Nature of the OS? The only difference from Windows 7 to 8 (if you use it only for the Desktop) is the start screen is just a full-screened menu. Your getting better frames, battery life, better security, faster boot times, etc for upgrading. It easily outweighs the con of a full screen start menu that can be modded back to the Windows 7 menu.

Battery Life ???

I use a PC, I don't give a f*^k about some scrubs crappy laptop/tablet shitty battery up-time timer/charge rate.

Besides I was under the impression that the smartphone was the platform of the future, because the PC/Console platforms for gaming were supposed to be dead.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    windows 8 is junk . i see windows 9 coming in 2014 . 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    i did get win8 pro, installed it over xp, which, not entirely sure its much of an upgrade, but as i couldnt really afford to get 7 at the time, seemed like a relatively 'cheap' upgrade, the start screen, if you can call it that is just a gimmick, you can unpin/uninstall much of it, without it really affecting anything, the only important bit there is the desktop icon, which is really the only bit i use, it does seem to start up a bit faster than my old xp setup, but i can't say its really that much of an improvement in terms of boot up times, maybe its because my system is 'getting on a bit' though im sure if i had a SSD that it would be lightning fast, but you can say that pretty much about any OS that uses one.. i've been using this now for several weeks, games do seem to work on it okay now, though it has had quite a few teething troubles, one thing i will say for sure though, as soon as i can afford a copy of win 7 64 bit.. im upgrading again image
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

well all this is telling me is to wait for Win9 there by i get 3 things in 1

1) i dont have to fork out more money for another shitty OS

2) i get Dx 1-12 

3) the next OS i get will be more stable then win8 :3 

win all around for me. just need about 2yrs or so to wait lolol

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    It's $40. Get over it.

No dude, its not about the bucks, its about Satan.

Im not sure if Linux is the answer and im a penguin myself since kernel 0.98. yeah, thats some years already.

As an example, to play windows games on Linux, we still have to manually patch the wine sources.

Solutions like Crossover are for office stuff and only scale on 2 cores here, my own wine scales over all 8 cores here.

Then there is still a loss in quality - the reason, why i have a windows at all, games for windows are - due to DirectX - awesome.

Windows is twice the age of Linux, so we have some gap to fill and when i see the overall development arround Linux, we have to say that its pretty cute because its nearly all free software.

In the long run, Linux will win.

You better start your Linux today, it needs some time to handle a penguin properly.

Cool game, btw ^^

• bishbosh2bishbosh2 Member Posts: 66
    maybe its time for openGL
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Probably won't affect MMOs, but for other games this is the scenario that might occur...

Microsoft could build their next console based on Windows 8 and DirectX 11.1, which would mean that multi-platform titles from developers could be set to minimum spec of DirectX 11.1.

This isn't likely to be an issue in the short term, but given that a console's life cycle is extending with each generation, the upgrade to Windows 8 or whatever comes after it is inevitable if you want to continue playing the majority of games released. And we do not know what will come after Windows 8, Microsoft might learn from their mistakes, but they could just as easily make Windows even worse.

We already know developers spend less resources on PC versions of multi-platform games, how much will they expend on supporting older versions of DirectX or entirely different operating systems?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

When you look at it in the perspective that most mmos, if not most pc games, are DX9 or DX10 compatible then the fud makes no sense at all.  Did anyone upgrade to Win7 for DX10.1?

DirectX 10.1 was released long before Windows 7.  AMD cards all the way back to the Radeon HD 3000 series support it.

You may have meant DirectX 11 rather than 10.1, as 11 is what launched with Windows 7.  Unlike 10.1 or 11.1, DirectX 11 brought some major new features and was a big deal.  So you know what Microsoft did about it?  They ported it back to Vista.  They didn't port it back to Windows XP, but one could argue that there aren't many people running a gaming computer with both Windows XP and a DirectX 11 video card.

And you know why Microsoft ported it back to Vista rather than saying everyone has to get Windows 7 now?  Because they knew that some of the new features in DirectX 11 were going to be a big deal.  OpenGL 4.0 roughly caught up in feature set shortly thereafter--and works not merely on Windows 7, but also Vista and XP (and Linux, though not Mac OS X).  If DirectX 11 had been Windows 7 only, then OpenGL would have been the natural choice for game developers who wanted to make a game with modern graphics.  And Microsoft can't have that, as DirectX is what ties games to Windows.  If all games used OpenGL rather than DirectX, gaming computers wouldn't necessarily need Windows.

Yes, thanks for the correction.  I don't think I'm wrong in guessing that most games are still DX9/10 compatible though.  Do you agree?  I just don't see this forcing anyone's hand.

Yes, precisely because a lot of gamers still can't run DirectX 11.  And that's even though porting things back from DX 10/11 to 9.0c means losing access to broad swaths of features as opposed to just minor tinkering around the edges.  We might be soon approaching the time when games start saying, we're not going to port back to DirectX 9.0c anymore, and now you need at least DX 10 to run the game.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by Reizla

As said before... Mickey$oft wants us to use Win8 over Win7, that's pretty obvious. Win8 seems to have so called 'improvements' and is compatible with WInPhone8. But when I look at my gameslist, every single game older than 5 years is not supported by WIn8. So Fat chance I'll hop to Win8 over Win7 (I do have a Win8 copy to upgrade a Vista machine though).

An other thing a lot of ppl seem to forget. Why bother about DX11.1 when most developers still use DX9 for their games? DX9 is the standard because it's easy to port to both the xbox360 and PS3.

Played tons of old games on W8 ever since I upgraded. Morrowind, KOTOR 1 and 2...what games you talking about?

Bioshock 2 and Fallout 3 for sure (updater told me so). Also thought Fable - The Lost Chapters wasn't supported (odd since it's a MS game). Then there are numerous tools not supported that I use: FRAPS, NERO 10, PCTools Regestry thingy to name a few. Not gonna buy updates for those programs to keep using them...

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by CalmOceans
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-12-directx-11-1-exclusive-to-windows-8-microsoft-confirmsDirectX 11.1 is exclusive to the divisive Windows 8 operating system, Microsoft has confirmed.“there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7”. Are they nuts?

This isnt the first time something like this has happened...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Draron Originally posted by Reizla As said before... Mickey$oft wants us to use Win8 over Win7, that's pretty obvious. Win8 seems to have so called 'improvements' and is compatible with WInPhone8. But when I look at my gameslist, every single game older than 5 years is not supported by WIn8. So Fat chance I'll hop to Win8 over Win7 (I do have a Win8 copy to upgrade a Vista machine though). An other thing a lot of ppl seem to forget. Why bother about DX11.1 when most developers still use DX9 for their games? DX9 is the standard because it's easy to port to both the xbox360 and PS3.
    Played tons of old games on W8 ever since I upgraded. Morrowind, KOTOR 1 and 2...what games you talking about?
    Bioshock 2 and Fallout 3 for sure (updater told me so). Also thought Fable - The Lost Chapters wasn't supported (odd since it's a MS game). Then there are numerous tools not supported that I use: FRAPS, NERO 10, PCTools Regestry thingy to name a few. Not gonna buy updates for those programs to keep using them...

I have all of them working on windows 8 barr Fable 3.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

microsoft usually always do this.. why would anyone be suprised.

Games are probally not gonna support it for a few years anyway by that time more and more people would have picked up windows 8.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    It's $40. Get over it.

I'm suprised you didn't also include..."go back to WoW"

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by denshing

This is TOTAL BS. They want to support win8 that failed so badly, that they will completely abandon the very good win7... Look, win8 is NOT A TABLET. Not only that, it is a very inconvenient interface that is not streamlined for multi-tasking at all, with plenty of obsticals to getting to things you want to get done.

Now what happens when video games come out that don't support the latest Win7 DirectX?? Even if you have a beast of a machine that is a million times better than Windows 8, you won't be able to play them!

This is horrible. I hate Microsoft now. I'm switching to linux.

there were how many dx 10 games before nvidia gpus became dx10?  very few, how many games there were using dx10.1 which only ati gpus had   , we had maybe 5 games

how many of early dx10, dx 10.1 or dx11 ddint support dx9 , or for dx11 dx 10, , answer is zero.. noone will start producing games for dx 11.1

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Mothanos

No problem just pirate microsoft like a pro, been doing that for the past 10 years with succes.
    Never ever had a single problem.

Only pay money for the good stuff, never pay money when it aint worth it.

Wait, you're saying that if you like something you'll pay for it, but if you dont you'll steal it? So, do you steal it first to see if its good and then pay for it?

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Rodentofdoom

Nature of the OS? The only difference from Windows 7 to 8 (if you use it only for the Desktop) is the start screen is just a full-screened menu. Your getting better frames, battery life, better security, faster boot times, etc for upgrading. It easily outweighs the con of a full screen start menu that can be modded back to the Windows 7 menu.

Battery Life ???

I use a PC, I don't give a f*^k about some scrubs crappy laptop/tablet shitty battery up-time timer/charge rate.

Cool story. Notice all the other examples I gave then.

It seems most on this topic uses "Windows 8 sucks" without giving any real reasons. Get Windows 8, unpin all the apps from the start menu, pin the things you had pinned to the start screen in W7/XP and there ya go. No extra clicks to do anything while getting a faster OS.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    [mod edit]

ya, way to make a stand! I hope you own a business so I can call your stuff crappy and just steal it while feeling justified.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Can't wait until Windows 9 gets rid of the desktop all together!

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Win 8, I took the plunge and upgraded. I do not see what all the hype is about.

It works fine, boots up fasters, shuts down faster, increased security. I even updated my Alienware 17 inch laptop to win8 with no problem at all other than a few Nvidia 3d vision hiccups.

I have my SOE games and Steam games all running fine. I've actually noticed an improved frame rate on some old games such as eq2. People over react, jump on a soapbox and begin to scream "end of days" over anything it seems. I even modded win 8 to boot up straight into desktop. It acts just as good, if not better, than win 7 so far.

My only complaint is that the more I play with the new Start dashboard, the more I like it. I wish they made it easier to navigate WITHOUT a touch screen/pad. For example if I was able to click and drag the dashboard around, it would make life all the more better. I'm actually starting to like it a lot. Maybe I will spend a few bucks on a touch screen monitor.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

I hate tablets... I honestly dont get them. The only purpose i see is maybe surfing the net while taking a sh*t but i can wait till im done no need to spend and 100 for that.

Maybe im just getting old.  

Ive went from 95 to xp to 7  Never had trouble not playing a game since 3dfx went out a buisness God i hated that glide bs.

OpenGL needs to get back in the game. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by denshing

This is TOTAL BS. They want to support win8 that failed so badly, that they will completely abandon the very good win7... Look, win8 is NOT A TABLET. Not only that, it is a very inconvenient interface that is not streamlined for multi-tasking at all, with plenty of obsticals to getting to things you want to get done.

Now what happens when video games come out that don't support the latest Win7 DirectX?? Even if you have a beast of a machine that is a million times better than Windows 8, you won't be able to play them!

This is horrible. I hate Microsoft now. I'm switching to linux.

I agree in all with you but last sentence. You are not. If you want to play mmo and other games. :-)

• LordRhysLordRhys Member UncommonPosts: 18

If your system doesn't have a touch screen you don't even need to worry about DX 11.1, it mainly revolves around touch capability, it's part of what drives the new smartbox tech they're pushing where your phone or tablet can assist your xbox games.

PC game users won't have to worry about it, next version we will be looking for will be DX 12 which will probably be on Win8 and Win9