Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Thoughts on "Tiered" Item progression in GW2

2»

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,119Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DKLond

Thoughts?

They finally realised that the majority of players want rewards for their time spent at endgame - and so they went against their moronic game design and introduced high end gear as a means of keeping players for longer.

Fanatics will claim it's not actual power-based gear progression and remain in denial for a while. That's either amusing or tragic - depending on your point of view.

I think it's a good development for the game, but it doesn't really change that it's a very shallow design and hollow gear upgrades won't replace new and interesting content. At this stage, there's no way they can compete with games like LOTRO, Rift or WoW for content and progression. So, it's a doomed development.

GW2 is already dying - and that can't change.

All play styles want rewards, why the frak should it always be hardcores and their preferred content that get the best rewards, especially in a casual game?!

• dariuszpdariuszp PrzeworskPosts: 182Member
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

My thoughts:

It's an mmorpg. If I cannot progress my character in any way. Why would I play?

Your thought:?

I thought GW2 was going to have no gear curve! HOLY RAGE BATMAN!

My thoughts:

Go buy a single player RPG.

Peace and Love

In the old days when MMORPG players were all about social experience and world their avatar lived in, they were thinking that MMORPG should have:

1. great world

2. characters interaction

3. as many stuff to do as you could have

This is how sandbox games came to life. Now it's all about level up, new pair of pants and new 3d model to kill... again and again...

This is what happened when folks that like single-player games are trying to play multiplayer games.

This is why EVE Online is still alive and kicking. Because CCP made MMO game for MMO players and they stick to it. Last time they were trying to appeal to non-mmo games they crashed and burned and in next patch they started to fix things. This is why everyone else failed.

Yeah, go buy single-player cRPG because you are NOT MMO player.

• NaralNaral Solway, MNPosts: 751Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel's_nose

At least they started with the camel's nose. If this were SOE, we know exactly which part would have entered the tent first, based on past experience. ;-)

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,537Member Uncommon

Threadmill .... Is this a new term or people just misspelling treadmill?

edit - ive seen it used in several posts by different people.

• NaralNaral Solway, MNPosts: 751Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think Threadmill would describe what MMORPG.com has become to a T. ;-)

• XasapisXasapis VolosPosts: 5,561Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dariuszp

In the old days when MMORPG players were all about social experience and world their avatar lived in, they were thinking that MMORPG should have:

1. great world

2. characters interaction

3. as many stuff to do as you could have

This is how sandbox games came to life. Now it's all about level up, new pair of pants and new 3d model to kill... again and again...

This is what happened when folks that like single-player games are trying to play multiplayer games.

This is why EVE Online is still alive and kicking. Because CCP made MMO game for MMO players and they stick to it. Last time they were trying to appeal to non-mmo games they crashed and burned and in next patch they started to fix things. This is why everyone else failed.

Yeah, go buy single-player cRPG because you are NOT MMO player.

mmoRPGs need some kind of progression. This progression is not necessarily a gear progression. EVE has quite a lengthy progression curve to the point that some people argue that you can't catch up with the veterans.

GW2 done away with gear progression. So far so good. What did it replace it with, besides legendaries grind?

• BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    As a person with one 80 and two level 40's and a couple of hundred hours played who doesn't have any high end gear, I don't give a shit.  Would probably take me years to see the current content as well as the added stuff.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    Anet has set GW2 to be different from the pack by not having gear progression. In that way, they have something that distinguishes them. But now, they want to add a form of gear progression to their game. Well, OK, but this is something that has traditionally defined the themepark MMO for 10 years now. If Anet wants to go down this road, they need to do it better than everyone else or they will hurt their game more than help it. Players will no longer be able to say "Play GW2 because it's different" And what's more, if ANET does progression half-assed, players will also say "Why bother playing GW2 when I can get better progression from WoW?"
  • lunarwitch00lunarwitch00 kanas, MOPosts: 43Member
    Originally posted by DonY81
    Progressing character is great and partially the reason i stopped playing was because i wasnt going to play for  shiny looking things that didnt mean anything or carry a harder punch. Now this has happened ive actually jumped back on my necro....keep it going :)

and when you get your armor and clear the dungeon you will quit until more is added

while the people who actually enjoy the game most seem very cautious on the new gear stuff

game is still really new its actually to soon imo. but more content is always nice

now i know the games are different but the first guildwars did pretty well for having a max level gear that never changed over years so lets hope theres no more new high tier armors..

if the new gear isnt craftable and isnt availible in wvw and other sources theres a problem.

if you think the new gear isnt a problem it is.

now i know spvp and pve/wvw are seperate and thats awesome.

but the more the add more gear the more skills they change between the to. the more and more gameplay changes.

builds that work in pve/wvw dont work in spvp and the other way around. and with spvp gear being set and in turn adding new tiers for pve/wvw damage and defense difference become even further apart. i understand the reason for the seperation but getting to far apart i dont like at all. thats why i like pve/wvw more because your character is your character not some preset version of it. and dont get me wrong i like spvp also.

if you think this is some new idea it isnt most likely had this planned even before launch.

some of you arent thinking far enough ahead the problem becomes once they finish releasing the entire set of gear.

what are players going to do then complain till more comes. or leave like they always do kinda like the guy or girl above would do..

there need to be progression thats for sure but chasing gear over and over is really not that fun it can be depending but eventually you need more.

because it makes playing anything but a main pointless. replay actually goes down because you can and only want to do the stuff so many times.

new content comes out new gear come the further the gap.

the whole attunement stuff  agony i already know what to expect kinda annoying and will definately create

lfm only attuned.

which is more segregation

either way its either gonna be the last tier of armor once its all release or people the real fans will leave least thats what it seems like

and while it might not kill the game it will hurt bad considering the people who only play to get new stuff like armor and complete it and quit will only be around amonth or so at a time leaving the game empty till new stuff comes.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,537Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Naral
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think Threadmill would describe what MMORPG.com has become to a T. ;-)

lol !

2»
This discussion has been closed.