Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on "Tiered" Item progression in GW2

HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

My thoughts:

It's an mmorpg. If I cannot progress my character in any way. Why would I play?

Your thought:?

I thought GW2 was going to have no gear curve! HOLY RAGE BATMAN!

My thoughts:

Go buy a single player RPG.

Peace and Love

Hero Evermore
Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If they put in wow style gear progression I will uninstall it.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    My thoughts: That's nice :D

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

The problem is that GW2 wasn't designed like that. This ascended items are only about 10% stronger but to have a 'complete' character you need max gear, right? That means if exotic gear isn't max anymore it will lose it's value completely.

Furthermore, if you can't craft ascended items crafting will completely lose it's value (you can hardly make profit even now, imagine what will happen if you cannot craft max armor anymore).

Also, ascended items will unstabilize the economy which has finally started to be just right now that bots are (mostly) gone. What bother's me too is the fact that you can get ascended items (max gear) in the new dungeon only. What will happen to the rest of dungeons? Nobody will do them anymore. Unless they upgrade the rest of dungeon exotic armor to the same power level as ascended gear.

(I do realize that for now we can only get ascended back-slot item and 2 rings, but they also stated they will spread this to the rest of the gear)

My thought are: they are experimenting this minor threadmill with only 3 pieces of gear to see if they can get away with it. It seems Arenanet realized GW2 is losing players that are coming from other mmos with threadmill and they wish to keep those players playing. What they did with this is splitting the community. As of now around 50% of players like this new tier, the other 50% hates it. For now I'm somewhere in between, need to see this first-hand first.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If they put in wow style gear progression I will uninstall it.

I dont think they will do wow style

but if one day people ask me to link my gears to do a dungeon then there is something wrong

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Why not use the existing threads to express your view?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

My thoughts:

It's an mmorpg. If I cannot progress my character in any way. Why would I play?

Your thought:?

I thought GW2 was going to have no gear curve! HOLY RAGE BATMAN!

My thoughts:

Go buy a single player RPG.

Peace and Love

So were you about to quit?

I wasn't. I have played 10K hours of GW1 and most of character took around 1 day (factions made) to hit level 20 (max level) and have max item stats.

I also have a couple of GWAMM that aren't progression at all.

So what did I do in GW1 - I made one of each character, went title hunting, skins I wanted (rare or otherwise) hunting, knowing all the tricks, the most efficient builds, collecting mini pets, developing fun/thematic builds, etc.

What was I planning to do in GW2?

Pretty much the same, plus WvW and legendary items.

What I'm going to do now?

Pretty much the same, except now I'll have to grind a new set of equipment whenever they add more powerful items (or once my characters are decked in legendaries, so it auto-upgrades) to be 100% skill based and not stat based.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Nitth

Why not use the existing threads to express your view?

he/she must have missed the 2 out 5 recent threads listed based on the coming gear progression changes. So now instead of 2 out of 5 listed recent topics being people bitching about gear grind 3 our the top 5 recenttopics are about it.

My thoughts are people who like the game the way it is should stfu and play. people who want gear progression will be happy. people who dont shouldnt care.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but why would you buy a single-player RPG if you don't like gear progression? That makes no sense.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    What tier based progression? Did I miss a memo?
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Yep..

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/369231

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Yep..

No tiered progression in sight yet, sorry. Misinformation again, aka mountain out of a molehill.

The whole "tiered progression" term means there are several tiers. Which is definitely not true.

Don't get me wrong - I'm watching this, closely - but for now, there's no reasons to be alarmed. The day they add a second "tier" will make it tier based progression, and is the day I will quit the game too. For now I have no real problem with this, specially considering it's only two items, and that they will be available through other means than dungeon farming.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan What tier based progression? Did I miss a memo?
    Yep..   http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/369231
    No tiered progression in sight yet, sorry. Misinformation again, aka mountain out of a molehill.

The whole "tiered progression" term means there are several tiers. Which is definitely not true.

mmm ok, I suggest you keep reading all sources and threads available including the official statements on what arena "plan to do" in the years to come..

A new set of gear with higher level stats, and new stats specific to do "new endgame content" kinda justifies to me a tiered gear model.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Thoughts?

They finally realised that the majority of players want rewards for their time spent at endgame - and so they went against their moronic game design and introduced high end gear as a means of keeping players for longer.

Fanatics will claim it's not actual power-based gear progression and remain in denial for a while. That's either amusing or tragic - depending on your point of view.

I think it's a good development for the game, but it doesn't really change that it's a very shallow design and hollow gear upgrades won't replace new and interesting content. At this stage, there's no way they can compete with games like LOTRO, Rift or WoW for content and progression. So, it's a doomed development.

GW2 is already dying - and that can't change.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Yep..

I am neither pro or con on this. I really don't care anymore. They did say in thier official 'opening' statement with regards to this Ascended gear, that they are going to implement as such which will leave them room to grow this 'feature' in the future. Gear that adds X pts to stats this month. New gear that adds X points next time (making the gear from last bump less than the top).

Not tiered but definitely gear grind for the 'top' stuff.

mmm ok, I suggest you keep reading all sources available including the official statements on what arena "plan to do" in the years to come..

I did that, most likely more than you who don't even have GW2 in the played game list in your signature. The developers said two things: the exotics are really easy to get - and it's true - so they wanted to add another, a bit harder layer, between exotics and legendaries. And the second thing, by "Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director", is "We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.".

So for now, there is NO tiered gear progression in GW2, except the one the usual suspects are making up by twisting the available information, turning molehills into mountains and generally calling doom on the game, which they have already done since beta anyway, nothing new here.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

^^ Denial right there :)

They just added this for kicks and for no reason :) Obviously, it's not because they want people to "chase after it" - it's just a random design choice.

Kinda entertaining.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Not tiered though technically you could say a white 80 is tier 1, blue Tier 2 etc. so I can get my exotics and be top tier...until ascended adds another...tier....and makes my exotics less than the top...tier.

It's all word twisting. Ascended gear will lessen the value of exotics and they said they will expand the Ascended feature going forward.

Personally I think this will cause more people to lose thier desire to play than encourage.

I'll play in my exotics until I don't play anymore. I enjoy playing for a bit here and there but I'll never spend in thier CS again and that is the thing that will kill the game over time. If people don't spend money in the CS, things go downhill.

Originally posted by Nitth   mmm ok, I suggest you keep reading all sources available including the official statements on what arena "plan to do" in the years to come..
    I did that, most likely more than you who don't even have GW2 in the played game list in your signature.
    Click on my profile.

The developers said two things: the exotics are really easy to get - and it's true - so they wanted to add another, a bit harder layer, between exotics and legendaries. And the second thing, by "Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director", is "We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.".
    I can only interprate from the information posted, and examples given. There is clearly a stat increase (only 2 armor slots for now) - but there is an official post saying they will expand this to become a whole set.

Secondly, the agony system seems to be a form of gated progression imo.

So for now, there is NO tiered gear progression in GW2, except the one the usual suspects are making up by twisting the available information, turning molehills into mountains and generally calling doom on the game, which they have already done since beta anyway, nothing new here.

Firstly, we can only go on the information that has been given, and that information has been lax on areas part.So you cant help people coming to differing opinions.

I cant argue that for now this seems like a a small problem, However when official word says this will escalate its only a matter of time before this becomes a real problem.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

mmm ok, I suggest you keep reading all sources available including the official statements on what arena "plan to do" in the years to come..

I did that, most likely more than you who don't even have GW2 in the played game list in your signature. The developers said two things: the exotics are really easy to get - and it's true - so they wanted to add another, a bit harder layer, between exotics and legendaries. And the second thing, by "Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director", is "We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.".

That game hasn't even been out for three months and ANET is already introducing more gear to "chase after".     

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Usual suspects are making mountain of the mole, and usual defence force is out to put out the flames. So everything is going on as usual.

However call it tiered or whatever you want to call it. people are more pissed about the prinicple behind sudden change in the end game design. Exotics was suppossed to be the stats cap for GW2 and only new content released was suppossed to be cosmetic and appearance gear. 

I am however, happy with gear progression but i will never trust what Anet devs say. They have gone back on what they said earlier. Their words is not the gospel.

Originally posted by Digna

Personally I think this will cause more people to lose thier desire to play than encourage.

I'll play in my exotics until I don't play anymore. I enjoy playing for a bit here and there but I'll never spend in thier CS again and that is the thing that will kill the game over time. If people don't spend money in the CS, things go downhill.

I agree with that though. I bought for 80 Euro gems in the shop until now to support the game. I won't spend one more cent until I'm sure this won't become another WoW clone like gear grind. One key point is how they will make that ascended gear available through other means than the dungeon(s).

I'm way more worried about that "agony" stat than about the slightly better gear for now. "agony" screams "radiance", LOTRO players will know what I'm talking about. Let's see how this turns out.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I dont' mind a little progression, so long as it avoids power creep and doesn't make you so powerful any content but the latest and greated dungeon can be done blindfolded (ala WoW). GW2's progression of about 7% for each 'tier', with anything beyond exotics only really useful to the achievement crowd who wants that Legendary and that Ascended gear for the dungeon(s). I suspect agony will only affect dungeons and since I only run dungeons sparingly I don't expect it to be that important, so long as the amount you need is kept low. Only time will tell on that however.

Over all, for me GW2 does it just right. Enough progression to feel like your.. progressing, but over-all a very lateral progression design gives the game a bit of a sandboxy feeling in a great themepark. I don't play MMOGs for the gear treadmill, never have and never will. So GW2 is right up my alley and Anet has proven to me over and over that they are level headed about this business, so I trust them not to make Agony a big deal.

• MaliMirkoMaliMirko Member UncommonPosts: 44
    what is the use of white, blue, green items in game? they are not connected, u cant upgrade from blue 80 item + some mats = green 80 item, usually skins are worst than high end gear, stats are lower! at the end u sell them, or salvage them!
    this is same in most mmo games, thats the big problem! they need to make really item progression/upgrade, for example:
    - u have 3 tiers of items, starting/plain (white), medium/buffed (blue), end game (green)!
    - u can only get white from drops or professions or WvW or dungeons, and only these can be sold on TP!
    - u need to gather specific material so u can upgrade ur white to blue item, and this can be done if ur right profession, or trough some NPC, or something else
    - after that u can upgrade blue to green, and so on…!
    - u cant sell any item past whites! economy is still saved cos crafters will make white items and sell them on TP! (different base stats, or skins, …)
    - u can have sockets, have gems/runes, similar progression as items
    - different dungeons for different white item stats/skins, and different mats upgrades
    this is just for u to get idea, how it could be done item progression, where all tiers r connected, and lower items wont get obsolete, economy stays the same, dungeons wont become obsolete, player base is happy, …!image
    OFC, there must not be huge difference in stats between item tiers, only more epic looks, achievement or prestige!

B)  "War. War never changes!"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Doom.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Progressing character is great and partially the reason i stopped playing was because i wasnt going to play for  shiny looking things that didnt mean anything or carry a harder punch. Now this has happened ive actually jumped back on my necro....keep it going :)

This discussion has been closed.