Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

for 5+ years ArenaNet lied to us.....

Comments

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

It's a business and business is all about the money. Your ( the customer) money. A company will do anything to get your money so they will deceive you, lie to you, trick you etc in any way they can.

No surprise really.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by muffins89
    are you mad at all?  for 5 years Anet said they were different.    and millions of people fell for it.   wether or not you like the game,  do you think Anet decieved you? 

Why so mad bro!?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    contradictory to what they are adding now.  ie the gear treadmill.  that colin says isnt needed.  *cough*

So what? They noticed something did not work and are setting out on fixing/changing it. At least my guess is there doing it because the community wants it. They did not lie to the community as they implemented what they promised, but seem to be changing it because of popular demand (at least I guess?)

I do not think you should be to harsh to ANet. They tried to do things differently and some thing migt have been to different for a lot of poeple. As long as they trying to fix that and move forward I see nothing wrong and applaud to devs that have the guts to try something new instead of just sticking with the old and tried. That is shamefully what to many developers are doing. 

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

I do have some fundamental issues with the 'end-game' in GW2 - but find all this wailing and gnashing of teeth on both sides of this particular arguement to be ridiculous.

'Grinding' does NOT mean ANY effort required to get gear.

A 'Gear-Treadmill' is NOT the same as a 4% boost in stats for items you don't even know are hard to get!?

Feelings of 'betrayal' and threats to 'leave the game', or calling ANet 'liars' et al are the hyperbole of those screaming 'me, me!' to attract attention.

Otherwise why post it here?

The almost insignificant gear progression they are introducing tries to tread the fine line between those moaning about no progression and those moaning about grinding.

YOU lot make a noise and rattle your sabres at each other and ANet try to accomodate you. The noise then just escalates - "it's not enough!"..... "it's too much!"....

Quit complaining about it online and just cancel your accounts instead of trying to convince those of us with at least an ounce of logic that the sky is going to fall down.

That would at least be putting your money where your online mouths are!

I for one will not be playing long term for other reasons - reasons far more logical it seems to me than this particular tempest in a teacup.

I am actually happy for gear progression but i wouldn't go as far as saying that gear progresion is insignificant. Right now it is 8% and it just for starters. Once rest of the gear peices are in we will know how insignificant it really is.

But you have to understand why these people are angry. They supported the idea and vision of Anet that exotics will be the cap for grind as far as stats are concerned and only thing that will differentiate them from one another is appearance. That is what made GW2 unique for them. An MMO which caps stats grind for good.

I think it is very immature of you to just label them as angry teems and shrug it off. I don't want same things as they  do but i understand their sentiment. 

I see you are happy following the lazy trope of re-defining the meaning of what I said and criticising THAT imaginary point of view instead of what I ACTUALLY said.

I did focus on what you 'ACTUALLY ' said. I still disagree that gear grind is insignificant. I also disagree the way you just want to shrug it off as just 'anger' and nothing more. What else did i miss? quit complaining? cancel your accounts and more patronizing?

And no it is not 4% i would say it is not even 8% but more. Some guy did the math and total came to 26% what is interesting is that 5 minutes later the thread got deleted. I tried to google it the link does come up but it only leads to that gigantic merged thread. 

Where do I use the term 'angry teens' or even hint at it? Adults quite long in the tooth are perfectly capable of regarding their opinions as the only ones that matter I assure you.

Additionally I DO understand people are angry - on both sides of this interminable arguement, and that 'anger' is a remarkable over-reaction to such a petty issue.

If it is 'petty' for you so everyoen should be on same page as you? if not you will continue to patronize them? 

I also understand that the definition of what a 'grind' is, is at the core of the issue - and that 4% (not 8%) stat increase on gear which NO-ONE yet knows the difficulty of obtaining (i.e. will it really be a 'grind' to get - taking months of raid-style chance drops or endless matt farming, or will it be like nearly every other challenge as yet revealed in GW2? - ) is an insignificant step up.

Once again, no one knows for sure how insignificant it is goign to be. You justs aid yourself  that no one knows the difficulty of obtaining it and how much the stats will end up in total once whole gear is introduced in next 3 months.

I WvWvW it won't make one shred of difference.

In PvE the 'boost' will barely be noticeable.

Still assuming. You keep contradicting yourself. Either no one knows about the stat changes and difficulty of obtaining it or you know something that we don't? because on one hadn you say it is insignificant and then in same sentence you say 'no one knows'. It can't be both.

The only real issue here is the 'Agony' stat and whether this means 'soft-gating' on content in the future.

Now enough of the misapplied 'immature' references - you would be better served pointing such comments at the endless complainers. There is no credible way for you to demonstrate that anything in my post history is 'immature' and I would ask that you refrain from now on.

Endless complainers atleast have a point. You on other hand are more interested in patronizing people and unhappy that they are 'complaining'. Ranting about other people rants is such a cliche.  Would be better if you focus more on the issue at hand instead of posting habits of so called 'complainers'.

I will refrain when you will refrain from telling people what to do. However i must add that you not only come across as immature but also someone very intolerant and close minded to what others have to say.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

This is very simple, really.

Like most of their "revolutionary" ideas - like the lack of trinity, super limited arsenal, limited character progression, no raids, PvP without tangible consequences and so on - the lack of meaningful gear progression was a bad idea which could never provide longevity.

Fans have been in denial about that - just like ArenaNet have been in denial about it.

Now that they completely contradict themselves and do EXACTLY and PRECISELY what they CLEARLY promised would NEVER EVER happen after hardly 3 months - the fans are going to pretend it's not a big deal.

Anyone with a brain can see this completely goes against their design philosophy. It's a huge deal if you care about that kind of thing.

However, it's definitely a good thing for the game - because it will help keep it interesting for a longer time. That's because basic human psychology tells us that rewards are nice when you spend time achieving something. That's what all other themepark MMOs have realised - and ArenaNet chose to ignore because they're so fantastic at game design.

Yeah, not really.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    are you mad at all?  for 5 years Anet said they were different.    and millions of people fell for it.   wether or not you like the game,  do you think Anet decieved you? 

Nope, all ok on my side. I received what I expected. 

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I do have some fundamental issues with the 'end-game' in GW2 - but find all this wailing and gnashing of teeth on both sides of this particular arguement to be ridiculous.

A 'Gear-Treadmill' is NOT the same as a 4% boost in stats for items you don't even know are hard to get!?

Feelings of 'betrayal' and threats to 'leave the game', or calling ANet 'liars' et al are the hyperbole of those screaming 'me, me!' to attract attention.

Otherwise why post it here?

The almost insignificant gear progression they are introducing tries to tread the fine line between those moaning about no progression and those moaning about grinding.

YOU lot make a noise and rattle your sabres at each other and ANet try to accomodate you. The noise then just escalates - "it's not enough!"..... "it's too much!"....

Quit complaining about it online and just cancel your accounts instead of trying to convince those of us with at least an ounce of logic that the sky is going to fall down.

That would at least be putting your money where your online mouths are!

I for one will not be playing long term for other reasons - reasons far more logical it seems to me than this particular tempest in a teacup.

I am actually happy for gear progression but i wouldn't go as far as saying that gear progresion is insignificant. Right now it is 8% and it just for starters. Once rest of the gear peices are in we will know how insignificant it really is.

But you have to understand why these people are angry. They supported the idea and vision of Anet that exotics will be the cap for grind as far as stats are concerned and only thing that will differentiate them from one another is appearance. That is what made GW2 unique for them. An MMO which caps stats grind for good.

I think it is very immature of you to just label them as angry teems and shrug it off. I don't want same things as they  do but i understand their sentiment. 

I see you are happy following the lazy trope of re-defining the meaning of what I said and criticising THAT imaginary point of view instead of what I ACTUALLY said.

I did focus on what you 'ACTUALLY ' said. I still disagree that gear grind is insignificant. I also disagree the way you just want to shrug it off as just 'anger' and nothing more. What else did i miss? quit complaining? cancel your accounts and more patronizing?

And no it is not 4% i would say it is not even 8% but more. Some guy did the math and total came to 26% what is interesting is that 5 minutes later the thread got deleted. I tried to google it the link does come up but it only leads to that gigantic merged thread. 

Where do I use the term 'angry teens' or even hint at it? Adults quite long in the tooth are perfectly capable of regarding their opinions as the only ones that matter I assure you.

Additionally I DO understand people are angry - on both sides of this interminable arguement, and that 'anger' is a remarkable over-reaction to such a petty issue.

If it is 'petty' for you so everyoen should be on same page as you? if not you will continue to patronize them? 

I also understand that the definition of what a 'grind' is, is at the core of the issue - and that 4% (not 8%) stat increase on gear which NO-ONE yet knows the difficulty of obtaining (i.e. will it really be a 'grind' to get - taking months of raid-style chance drops or endless matt farming, or will it be like nearly every other challenge as yet revealed in GW2? - ) is an insignificant step up.

Once again, no one knows for sure how insignificant it is goign to be. You justs aid yourself  that no one knows the difficulty of obtaining it and how much the stats will end up in total once whole gear is introduced in next 3 months.

I WvWvW it won't make one shred of difference.

In PvE the 'boost' will barely be noticeable.

Still assuming. You keep contradicting yourself. Either no one knows about the stat changes and difficulty of obtaining it or you know something that we don't? because on one hadn you say it is insignificant and then in same sentence you say 'no one knows'. It can't be both.

The only real issue here is the 'Agony' stat and whether this means 'soft-gating' on content in the future.

Now enough of the misapplied 'immature' references - you would be better served pointing such comments at the endless complainers. There is no credible way for you to demonstrate that anything in my post history is 'immature' and I would ask that you refrain from now on.

Endless complainers atleast have a point. You on other hand are more interested in patronizing people and unhappy that they are 'complaining'. Ranting about other people rants is such a cliche.  Would be better if you focus more on the issue at hand instead of posting habits of so called 'complainers'.

I will refrain when you will refrain from telling people what to do. However i must add that you not only come across as immature but also someone very intolerant and close minded to what others have to say.

You should work for any paper owned by News International - they could use your skills to sell their papers.

In your eyes;

Expressing incisive criticism = 'patronising'

Expressing strong criticism = 'rant'

Concluding that endless complainers should stop doing so endlessly = 'telling people what to do'

Taking a contrary position to you = 'immature'; 'intolerant', 'close minded'

Allow me to be the one to end this escalation - if I can find out how to use the ignore list - a function of this site I have simply never felt the need to use before now.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

these are 2 quotes from Arenanet devs just over 3 months ago. 

"Here's what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can't realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don't make grindy games -- we leave the grind to other MMOs."
    -Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”
    – Colin Johanson

it's so mind numbingly contradictory.  what could have gone worng to make them change there stance so quickly?

Nothing ,you dont code those kind of "expansions" in three months,they were allready doing those loooong time a ago.

Let's internet

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Originally posted by Jetrpg
    Nope the game is very different, too much so. Mand mmo without item progression or support classes is a weak game.

This

You should work for any paper owned by News International - they could use your skills to sell their papers.

In your eyes;

Expressing incisive criticism = 'patronising'

Expressing strong criticism = 'rant'

Concluding that endless complainers should stop doing so endlessly = 'telling people what to do'

Taking a contrary position to you = 'immature'; 'intolerant', 'close minded'

Allow me to be the one to end this escalation - if I can find out how to use the ignore list - a function of this site I have simply never felt the need to use before now.

You were not just criticising you were telling people to 'shut up'.  Someone  who is open to others opinions do not patronize them. They simply disagree and move on. That is what mature poeple do.

You are not close minded because you took contrary position to me but because you came out very rude the way you reacted to what others have to say about the current issue. You just simply labeled it as 'petty' because they have different opinion about the matter. How classy!

As far as you ignoring me. I will be rolling sleeplessly in my bed because of utter disbelief and sadness.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Nope, only people who feel decieved are ones who read other peoples comments on GW2 and never objectively read what arenanet said.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

The argument is them straying from their philosophy (which was very loud and prominent in their marketing campaign), not how much this change actually affects the game. I dislike GW2 but welcome this change as a step in the right direction.

I guess it's like how it doesn't matter how little you murder someone, it's still murder?

Regardless of this being a good change or not (i believe it's good), 4% is not insigificant.

I don't know what games you've been playing but 4% increase on *any one useful thing* is pretty much a mandatory thing to have. It's 4% on *everything*, that's an insane buff.

I guess it wouldn't matter in games like GW2, where there's no damage meters (and PVE difficulty is tuned accordingly i.e. mindnumbingly easy), but if concern is regarding WvWvW - the buff is *not* insignificant.

I remember when season 2 gear in TBC came out, some friends laughed and said "i'm not farming for only +10 agility (or whatever). The very quickly changed their minds.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

4% stat increase 8% stat increase 26% stat increase im wondering what these MATH specials smoking becouse for me its total BS

my stat with exotic gear

2600 atk power

now when i change the exotic rings to ascended rings

2610 atk power

and 0.2% more crit  chance

hows that 26%, 8% or 4% stat increase

and they are only giving you ring and backpack

can be crafted, can me obtained from mystic forge or in WvW

the ascended armors and weapons cant have sigils and runes in them, that make them weaker in general

they are used mainly in new dungeon as protection vs agony debuff

and no there is no gated content before you meet this agony debuff you will have few sets of these rings already

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I joined GW2 beacuse of the DE,exploration,stunning world and WvWvW, no sub fee i can come and go as a please, I don't give shit about suppose gear grinding.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

I wonder what'll go next; PVP gear, homogenization of classes, a number of other bad design decisions?

This sets a nice precedence for them.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

You know, if people begged and begged for something like an end game raid grind, you can't really blame Anet for giving it to them. It seems they are taking the opposite approach of every other developer and giving players raid specific gear stats instead of pvp specific gear stats. Or maybe there's raid specific and pvp specific stats...

Anyway, the point is people asked for it, so Anet gave it to them. *shrug*

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

First of all. They said that they found out a lot of people miss some kind of progression and the whole thing with exotics isn't working as they wanted. That's why they decided to change the course a little bit.

Second of all there already is gear "treadmill" as you say. you get green>yellow>orange stuff. if you were fine with it for the past 3 months than sorry but you are hypocrite with starting to complain now.

third.. MMO changes. This is tha nature of the game. Devs figure out something doesn't work and they try to improve it. Sometimes they fail sometimes they don't but they still should TRY to improve the game. If you have problem with changing games than sorry for being blunt but GET THE F OUT FROM ONLINE GAMES and play coop or smthing.

This is my 1st and last post in this thread b/c it's not worth talking with people who's life apparently is ruined by a patch in a game.

Originally posted by saurus123

4% stat increase 8% stat increase 26% stat increase im wondering what these MATH specials smoking becouse for me its total BS

my stat with exotic gear

2600 atk power

now when i change the exotic rings to ascended rings

2610 atk power

and 0.2% more crit  chance

hows that 26%, 8% or 4% stat increase

and they are only giving you ring and backpack

can be crafted, can me obtained from mystic forge or in WvW

the ascended armors and weapons cant have sigils and runes in them, that make them weaker in general

they are used mainly in new dungeon as protection vs agony debuff

and no there is no gated content before you meet this agony debuff you will have few sets of these rings already

From the guy who did 26% calculations.. (agree or disagree)

TLDR Ascended gear is 26% more powerful than the same-slot exotic. Proof: see below.

Disclaimer

First off, this post is merely to clarify the matter with some math. Some people are saying that ascended gear is only slightly more powerful than exotic gear, including Miss Murdock herself. This is simply not true. The number people are quoting is an 8% increase in power. This is also not true. Ascended gear is 26% more powerful than exotics, as the math below shows.

I will not editorialize, or add my opinions on the matter of Ascended gear. I just feel, very strongly, that people need to be aware of the facts, be on the same page so to speak, in order to cogently discuss any issue. I made a similar post to this one on the main thread discussing Ascended gear, but it obviously got drowned down. People need to know this. So I ask: moderators, please don’t pull this post into the main thread, it’ll only get lost. And forum-goers/readers, please don’t discuss the virtues/downsides of Ascended gear. Let’s keep this thread purely informational. That said, if you find an error in my math, feel free to point it out.

Math

From the blog,

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

post we can see that increase, per stat is roughly 8%. The Exotic ring has a total of 63 power, and the Ascended has 68, which is a 7.9% increase (See note). This is where the "8% more powerful* figure floating around gets taken from. However, this is misleading, because that is the increase in one stat. Notice that both rings have three stats. Precision also got an 8% bump, and magic find gets an (10 – 7) / 7 = 42% increase. Yes, that is 42%.

Now, in Guild Wars 2, each stat increases your damage (survivability, etc), linearly. That is, an increase in 8% to your power stat will increase your damage by 8%. When you increase three stats, however, you don’t get a linear increase in damage, you get a cubic increase. To show why this is true, let’s imagine you go from an Exotic Berserker ring, to an Ascended Berserker ring. We don’t have the stats on the Berserker jewelry, but we can extrapolate. Let’s be conservative, though, and assume that the Berserker will increase each stat by 8% only (unlike the case of magic find above).

Now, from the wiki,

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage

we have this formula for damage:

Damage done = (weapon damage) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient) / (target’s Armor) (1)

From (1) we can calculate the statistical average damage of your hits taking into account precision and crit damage:

Average Damage done = (weapon damage) x Power x (skill-specific coefficient) x (1 + (crit chance) x ( 0.50 + (crit damage) ) / (target’s Armor) (2)

This looks complicated, but we can just assume that everything but power, crit damage, and crit chance remain constant, and get rid of all the constants, we basically get that (asymptotically) your average damage grows as the function

Average Damage done = proportional to ( power x crit chance x crit damage)

Now, multiply power, crit chance, and crit damage all by 1.08, when moving from exotic to Ascended:

Average Damage done with Ascended gear = proportional to ( power x 1.08 x crit chance x 1.08 x crit damage x 1.08)
    = ( power x crit chance x crit damage) x 1.259

Ergo, going from full exotic berserker gear, to full Ascended berserker gear increases your damage contribution from items by, roughly, 26%. See note 2.

Now, I used berserker because it is the easiest to showcase, since you can use the simple damage formula above to show how the three stats multiply each other. However, this increase of 26% is (roughly) also true for any other piece of gear. If you mix defensive and offensive stats, or offensive and magic find, or what have you, these stats multiply together to increase your effectiveness.

Note: An important thing to add here, on edit, is that my calculations already include the stats offered by the jewel in the Exotic gear. So this claim floating around that this disparity is made up by runes/sigils/gem slots that the Ascended gear lack is a canard. What my calculations do not include however, because we don’t know them yet, are stat increases, if any, provided by filling the infusion slot. These “infusions” could potentially increase the power gap between exotic and ascended even further.

Note 2: Important to note that level 80s have roughly 900 points in each stat. Also, you get roughly 1400 stat points from your spec. And, finally, there are stacking buffs like Might which remain the same regardless of gear. So your total damage will not go up by 26%. Your damage contribution from items goes up by, roughly 26%. Hence, the title of my thread that ascended gear is 26% more powerful than exotic.

• cujo603cujo603 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Of all the single player games calling themselves mmo's gw2 is the best so far.
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

he trying to be cool and give some shit math

when all you had to do is take ring with 10 more power and precision and look at your total stats after equiping the better ones

the difference is ~0,4% in more atk power from equiping 2 rings

maybe it will go up to ~2,2% when equiping all ascended items (weapons and armors)

but we only know stats of these rings

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Nothing ,you dont code those kind of "expansions" in three months,they were allready doing those loooong time a ago.

In that time they could hire a new guy, give him time to learn the code and coding structure and add this "new" feature in 3 months time. I doubt they created something before with the intension of actually adding it, unless something went wrong. You might be right that they might have drafted something up (just to test it out or as a back-up plan) before, but I do not really believe they had this planned before release and hoped that what they created would be a hit.

Like I said before nothing wrong with developers taking risks and then correcting if something is not liked by the community or by themselves. I see also nothing wrong and even applaud it especially from the business aspect that they would have a back-up plan already ready in case a risky new/changed feature is not working. Hell the biggest part of what I am supposed to learn at the university is not really the coding or even the designing (While both I should still know offcourse), but the ability to properly argue why and why not you do something the way you do it. Pretty sure that in that early process of development this was already talked about and other plans discussed, maybe even prototyped. 

Also how long does it really take to program a whole game? 2-3 years? So I am sure in 3 month time they could add this easily enough. 

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Yes I feel and was deceived in many ways. Never EVER again will I trust an mmo company..... GW2 Biggest dissapointment this year. The worst part is that game acctually had potential. Oh well....
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I'm not really mad. In fact I'm feeling kind of smug because I was expecting something exactly like this to happen although I'll admit I'm a bit surprised how quickly it happened after release. Fortunately I'm already in the "barely can bring myself to login" phase of playing the game, so the new gear grind won't really affect me. It's still moderately fun to level alts and if they ruin WvW (which isn't that great to begin with) with ever increasing gear tiers, sPvP still isn't affected (for now). But any chance of my spending money in the cash shop or buying xpacs is now out the window.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

From the guy who did 26% calculations.. (agree or disagree)

If you do math, do it properly.

First of all a*(1+b*c) is not a*b*c  int his situation by any means... Typically this is situation where a is solid number and b*c is something small, so more often than not 1+b*c  is close to 1. You can only ignore constants that are insignificant...

Second problem is, you are talking about item contribution, ignoring outside environment. There are some base stats, some stats you get from traits etc. So even upgrade of items would give you 26% more than exotics, in a big picture it's still only a few percents difference between 2 guys, one in exotics and one in ascended.

Ok I see your note 2. What about adding to your article note 3, which says: however these 26% will improve your overall efficiency by 2%? (You like math, do you math here :))

This discussion has been closed.