Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heavy Moderation on GW2 forums atm.

2»

Comments

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    muffins you are being over dramatic about this. We don't have all the details yet. Adding item progression isn't breaking any of their promise as far as I can recall.

Well yeah it is.

Hmmm...I really don't recall them saying that this game will not have item progression. What they did say was this game will not have forced grinding. They also said they always listen to the fans.

This is just my recollection of things.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Those will also be the ones going for crazy titles like CHAMPION OF THE GODS.

Thats a GW1 title. You cant get it from playing GW2.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    muffins you are being over dramatic about this. We don't have all the details yet. Adding item progression isn't breaking any of their promise as far as I can recall.

Well yeah it is.

Hmmm...I really don't recall them saying that this game will not have item progression. What they did say was this game will not have forced grinding. They also said they always listen to the fans.

Well my recollection is different than yours. However, it will take you only a minute to find the quotes before release about their vision about end game design ( a lot of those are going around lately on official forums). Would be better to hear it just out of horse mouth. Everything they doing now contradicts their old plan

From my own recollection, exotics were suppossed to be the cap as far as stats go and plan was to introduce only cosmetics. That is  the reason why legendary had same stats as exotics and only looked different. They could have easily made legendaries with better stats but that would have gone against their original vision.

So introducing new armor with increase in stats is new plan and new direction as far as gear progression goes. They could have easily made ascended armor similar to exotics and added the new agony slots to it. But they didn't and they will keep increasing over all stats by introducing more gear peices in next three months.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Well yeah it is.

"Here's what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can't realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don't make grindy games -- we leave the grind to other MMOs."
    -Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”
    – Colin Johanson

It was quoted multiple times and also mentioned in the manifesto. I really have no idea how you missed it or if you are being deliberately coy.

They are backtracking on this design principle. There really is no other way to look at it. I personally dont think it is a horrible decision by them, as it adds something for long time PvE players to work for. But you cant pretend that it isnt the complete opposite design of what they promised in the manifesto.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by muffins89

becuase for 5+ years we were told this game was different. and in less than 3 months it turned out to be the same.

Moderator Notes:

As the posting you have quoted has been moderated, your reply has been deleted as well. The issued warning has no effect on your forum account.

• The message was deleted.

If you believe you have received this infraction in error or wish to make an appeal, please send an e-mail to [email protected].

my opnions just got deleted.  nice.

you really cant blame the developers . people who ride early the hype bandwagon should be prepared for it . 

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by skydiver12   Originally posted by KhinRunite muffins you are being over dramatic about this. We don't have all the details yet. Adding item progression isn't breaking any of their promise as far as I can recall.
      That's your opinion, his is different, a threat is there to discuss and express it. ANet does not want neither. Ivory tower syndrom :)
    They have left a lot of threadsopen for discussion, what they dont want is people who think their opinion is so much better than everyone elses opening multiple threads on the same topic and diluting the forums. Thats why they got deleted and why he was moderated, not the topic itself.  

That's one way to interpreting it, but the truth to me is, they delete anything remotely associated with it and claim that one long threat where everything is cluster**** together is "enough", which is blantly a lie.

Of course there is the occasional troll thread and "my opinion is more important" threat, but putting everything into one long thread is a form of trying to silence the topic.

They hope most people won't put up with the additional effort due to the hindrance in usability in order to suffocate the topic, which is of course is a proven concept.

In short, they don't want this topic to be discussed and try the more subtile approach of hindrance rather than completly shut down everything (which wouldn't work), claiming to tolerate discussion.

I'm sorry if such concepts are not known to you.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    My question is... once players are done with this new gear progression, what? Another tier?

This is answered in the release by ArenaNet :

"This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content."

Note that they are only adding rings and back slots at the moment, so farming those armor sets isnt wasted.

But then that thing about "the whole game beeing endgame" is no longer true, right?

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    dey c u trollin an dey b hatin
  • thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    And I thought that with this game you were just supposed to have "fun". :)

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by thexrated
    And I thought that with this game you were just supposed to have "fun". :)

It is "fun" to see how other people grind to get "better" gear but you still faceroll them in PvP. 

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by muffins89

becuase for 5+ years we were told this game was different. and in less than 3 months it turned out to be the same.

Moderator Notes:

As the posting you have quoted has been moderated, your reply has been deleted as well. The issued warning has no effect on your forum account.

• The message was deleted.

If you believe you have received this infraction in error or wish to make an appeal, please send an e-mail to [email protected].

my opnions just got deleted.  nice.

You do realise they yust removed your opinions because apparently the post you quoted and commented on wasnt allowed there. If they allowed your comments to stay, everyone would be able to see what they said anyway (which cant be a good things since apparently it was something that was considered a threat since they deleted both the main as well as all quotations/comments on it.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Kinda a redundant statement but.. 

you get what you pay for lol!

Deep down GW2 has no incentive to keep player base one way or another. They are looking to attract new players. Once they get that box sale who cares about you. 

Just my theory on why they are adding this type of content. 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

lol. On guildwars2 forums I was once infracted and thread deleted for asking in a polite way if there are any other quest types than kill stuff and collect/deliver stuff .

they are waayy over the top, much more than the SWTOR forum EVER was. Right now the TOR forums don´t even seem to be moderated, some people obviously make fun of the game for a living.

and yes I believe this is all about box sales, not player retention. Once you paid, who cares anymore if you stay

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

There were also statements about how they wanted a piece of the WoW pie, and while they strove to acquire that with something different, well, it didn't work. It sounds like they are still trying for some level of that success. They are hardly the first game to go back on design principles because, well, it turned out they did not work.

So, we should not be surprised when they do what they feel they need to do to be successful. As it turns out "endgame at level 1" was not so popular as they had hoped it would be. At least, that is how it seems to me.

This discussion has been closed.